• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

I am burning to get my hands on some Lego sets, I am a complete newbie about all this, but reading on you guys and the Lego GAF contests... Well, the excitement is palpable.

So while I wait for the next Lego GAF contest, what sets would you guys recommend to someone on a budget? Let's say about 40-60 bucks budget and little to no experience in Lego.

Gemüsestäbchen;117696929 said:
Hi LEGOGaf,

My first post in this thread and I've taken a look at the OT and didn't see anything - so apologies if I'm taking a well worn path...
I wanted to ask about selling LEGO sets, I've fallen off the wagon in regards to LEGO, whilst I will always love the sets, I just don't play with it anymore don't want to waste all the LEGO collecting dust in my home - I'd rather someone who appreciates has it - and I'm interesting in your advice in selling it all.

I've taken a brief look online, and seems like http://www.brickpicker.com/ is a good start.
Can you recommend anywhere else that has a good online marketplace? Preferably in EU :)

Of course, I'm happy to sell the sets to anyone on on LEGOGaf if anyone is interested PM me and we can negotiate a price, send photos etc.:

- LEGO City 60007 High Speed Chase
Never opened - pristine
N.B. LEGO City Undercover special set

- LEGO Indiana Jones 7197 Last Crusade Venice Speedboat Chase
Never opened - pristine

- LEGO PIrates 6299 Advent Calendar
Never opened - pristine

Also I have the LEGO City 10182 Cafe Corner set (It's used but complete, but the box is in the UK, would take a little time to retrieve, if you're prepared to wait a few weeks, I'm happy to sell it too), and the LEGO 10193-1 medieval marketplace set.
These need time for me to sort the pieces out since they are used - but they are complete.

And the "Brick City" book.

I'm based in Germany, will ship internationally.

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Well Bricklink seems like a good place to start. Mind you their prices are often on the high end of what the market is willing to pay for it and you probably won't be turning them over quickly.
Also just checking ebay would probably work.

Where in Germany are you located? I might be interested in Cafe Corner.... ^^

Ponn

Banned
I am burning to get my hands on some Lego sets, I am a complete newbie about all this, but reading on you guys and the Lego GAF contests... Well, the excitement is palpable.

So while I wait for the next Lego GAF contest, what sets would you guys recommend to someone on a budget? Let's say about 40-60 bucks budget and little to no experience in Lego.

Welcome, and prepare to increase that budget. No seriously you will increase that budget.

As far as where to start do you have a favorite theme like DC, Marvel or Star Wars? If you like either of the comic themes you might want to start with a couple 20 dollar sets. The comic themed 20 sets are all pretty much goldmines of fun and great figs. If you can find them id jump on Spiderman cycle chase for the pimp car and Fury and Venom and then the Batman arctic set for Freeze and Aquaman. Those are the sets most likely to go sooner then others..

First page of this Thread is a great start to find info about set. I would suggest find theme you like and go from there. If you not into licensed theme, I find Creator 3 in 1 set to be great way to get into LEGO as it give you a lot of ideas and different build option.

Zerojul

As far as where to start do you have a favorite theme like DC, Marvel or Star Wars? If you like either of the comic themes you might want to start with a couple 20 dollar sets. The comic themed 20 sets are all pretty much goldmines of fun and great figs. If you can find them id jump on Spiderman cycle chase for the pimp car and Fury and Venom and then the Batman arctic set for Freeze and Aquaman. Those are the sets most likely to go sooner then others..

Agreed on the SH stuff :)
If you're into Star Wars the 9493 X-Wing is within your budget and it's one of the most iconic sets as far as SW goes IMO ;)
http://brickset.com/sets/9493-1/X-wing-Starfighter

Well Bricklink seems like a good place to start. Mind you their prices are often on the high end of what the market is willing to pay for it and you probably won't be turning them over quickly.
Also just checking ebay would probably work.

Where in Germany are you located? I might be interested in Cafe Corner.... ^^

I'm in Frankfurt am Main.
Going to PM you shortly!

Got my first Galaxy Squad set today with an Ebay auction, Vermin Vaporizer for 16€ :)
Now I know I'll need to get the whole series, won't I ? :(

Starting with Vermin Vaporizer? Yeah, you are a goner. Enjoy the rest of the Galaxy Squad line. :)

Creator series is the best bang for your buck. Lots of varied pieces, and multiple instructions per model so there is a lot of variety. You miss out on mini figures in this line usually, but it is a great gateway drug series if you are just getting your feet wet.

Check the OP for some ideas though.

ghostmind

I learned that the designer of the Lone Ranger Silver Mine Shootout is Adam Grabowski, who is also the designer that brought us the Haunted House and most of the Monster Fighters theme sets.

It all makes sense now.

ghostmind

Watching the extra features for the LEGO Movie EiA edition and I'm having fun recognizing all the designers. They've got Jamie, Marcos, Nick Groves and more. Kind of cool watching this with "insider" knowledge of what these designers have done at LEGO.

I learned that the designer of the Lone Ranger Silver Mine Shootout is Adam Grabowski, who is also the designer that brought us the Haunted House and most of the Monster Hunters theme sets.

It all makes sense now.

I think you mean Monster Fighters, though if Lego and Capcom would get involved to make real Monster Hunter sets i'd die.

Fowler

Here's my LEGO haul from my trip to California...

Bqvuu2gCYAI7FI5.jpg

(Why TWO Ghostbusters sets? I tried to order it from LEGO's online store, wasn't sure they'd accept my international credit card, and so when I saw it at the LEGO Store at Disneyland I grabbed it to be safe. Of course, just after that I got the other one, too. But rest assured I am not flipping it: It'll make a present for a friend. The only tough thing is deciding which one is worthy!)

I went to the US hoping to snag the Spaceship and Ghostbusters sets, but finding a whole stash of Mars Rovers at a random toy store in Santa Monica was an awesome extra. And I got to use the $25 in VIP points that'd been sitting in my account for a year!

I went on a tour to our summer cottage, a cool 450 kilometer ride both ways. Along the way I checked off one potential Lego place I've been thinking about - it turned out they had only basic new stuff... except for a bunch of overpriced series 1 SW planets, and for some reason, 3 of the single Atlantis manta figure sets. Didn't get anything, but it was a funny little find.

Debating on picking up that Creator Aviation Adventures set. Anybody have any experience with that set wanna give me a breakdown on it's minifig potential?

Matt

Gemüsestäbchen;117696929 said:
Hi LEGOGaf,

My first post in this thread and I've taken a look at the OT and didn't see anything - so apologies if I'm taking a well worn path...
I wanted to ask about selling LEGO sets, I've fallen off the wagon in regards to LEGO, whilst I will always love the sets, I just don't play with it anymore don't want to waste all the LEGO collecting dust in my home - I'd rather someone who appreciates has it - and I'm interesting in your advice in selling it all.

I've taken a brief look online, and seems like http://www.brickpicker.com/ is a good start.
Can you recommend anywhere else that has a good online marketplace? Preferably in EU :)

Of course, I'm happy to sell the sets to anyone on on LEGOGaf if anyone is interested PM me and we can negotiate a price, send photos etc.:

- LEGO City 60007 High Speed Chase
Never opened - pristine
N.B. LEGO City Undercover special set

- LEGO Indiana Jones 7197 Last Crusade Venice Speedboat Chase
Never opened - pristine

- LEGO PIrates 6299 Advent Calendar
Never opened - pristine

Also I have the LEGO City 10182 Cafe Corner set (It's used but complete, but the box is in the UK, would take a little time to retrieve, if you're prepared to wait a few weeks, I'm happy to sell it too), and the LEGO 10193-1 medieval marketplace set.
These need time for me to sort the pieces out since they are used - but they are complete.

And the "Brick City" book.

I'm based in Germany, will ship internationally.

Thanks for any help you can give me!

I could be interested in Cafe Corner...

Oh FliXFantatier beat me to it, damn.

Kyari

Guys I continue to be in this horrible situation of wanting Lego but not being able to bring myself to get lego because of all of the Star Wars sets I won, but also not wanting to build the Star Wars sets that I won.

I'm also waiting anxiously to see what dream-crushing minifigs are exclusive to SDCC this year :(

Just got a 20% off regular priced item at Toys R Us. It's marked to be used at Babies R Us, but it shows that it works at TRU as well.

Might head over. Are some of the new sets marked up premium/TRU tax or MSRP?

EDIT: Checked their website and it seems new sets are MSRP. Might grab Ultra Agents Inferno set.

Wow! So many great answers! Thanks! Here is what I have so far got:

First, I live in Mexico... Lego sets are kinda more expensive [IE, The Smallest Lego Creator set is at 99MXN [about 7.5USD] for 66 Pieces; The StarWars mini vehicle pieces that come with a Minifig is 199 MXN, which is 15USD]. I remember seeing the Mixels bags for 99MXN too... The licensed sets usually go up 10-15% more, like TMNT or Lego Movie.

I am kinda limited by selection, thats why I am so more eager to enter the contests because it will not just force me to buy some of the more recommended sets, but also will help me understand and create MOCs for a beginner.

Themes I am interested on? I am an all around kind of person, but the Ecto-1 is a must have from my POV, as well as some of the TMNT sets. I enjoy Star Wars, but more on the iconic side. The Lego Movie sets seem A+ and I think Ill bite it and buy a set soon seeing how theres a sale at the local Sears... But overall, I am missing on 70-80% of what you guys get! No Lego Store, no real place/retailer to get some sets.

Again, Thanks to the whole community!!

Guys I continue to be in this horrible situation of wanting Lego but not being able to bring myself to get lego because of all of the Star Wars sets I won, but also not wanting to build the Star Wars sets that I won.

I'm also waiting anxiously to see what dream-crushing minifigs are exclusive to SDCC this year :(

Is there a reason you don't want to build them? You could always sell them, couldn't you? Or at least the ones you don't want. Unless the contest rules forbid that?

Is there a reason you don't want to build them? You could always sell them, couldn't you? Or at least the ones you don't want. Unless the contest rules forbid that?
If you are forbidden to sell them, you can regift them at least. I can PM you my address if you want. :)

BUILD THEM! You deserve it.

Ryuuroden

Starting with Vermin Vaporizer? Yeah, you are a goner. Enjoy the rest of the Galaxy Squad line. :)

Creator series is the best bang for your buck. Lots of varied pieces, and multiple instructions per model so there is a lot of variety. You miss out on mini figures in this line usually, but it is a great gateway drug series if you are just getting your feet wet.

Check the OP for some ideas though.

hehe, I just built the Vermin Vaporizer today, cool vehicle, its currently laying siege to Helms Deep.

Eklipsis

After playing Lego with the kids, we got out my Lego and popped in the Lego Movie and then I realized...I got a Benny and a red version not sure about the age of it though

IMG_5361_zpse7987ea5.jpg

Eklipsis

They look more recent than my vintage 80s crew. The visor area seems narrower and the chin part tapers inward a bit more.

Yeah I don't think those are the original helmets to those figures it just happened to be on them when I grabbed them. Also is there any way to tell what set pieces come from? I used to have a pirate ship but I'm missing a lot of parts to it but I have the actual boat part and I'd like to piece it back together.

Your winning should not affect your LEGO budget at all. Those are all bonus LEGO sets since you didn't spend any of your LEGO budget.

Why don't you want to build them? Resale value? If you really like the set, then enjoy it. If it has a high resale value later, it won't drop the resale too much if it's opened. You can always gift it to one of us. We'll be glad to bear the burden.

After playing Lego with the kids, we got out my Lego and popped in the Lego Movie and then I realized...I got a Benny and a red version not sure about the age of it though

IMG_5361_zpse7987ea5.jpg

Those are reissues from not too long ago. The only real differences are the helmets (technically more, but that is the only visible outside difference).

That's a very good point.

Hey all - I figured this might be the set that would be most interesting for folk... So going to open this coversation out to everyone on the thread.

I definitely have all the pieces, the instructions and the box, however this is split between my parents' in London, UK and my flat in Frankfurt am Main, Germany.
All the LEGO pieces are here in Germany, and all the paper stuff (instructions and box) is in the UK...

This means, if you want the box and paper instructions too, I would need to ship it over - and as it's gigantic - I would assume this could cost a bit.
That does give a few options, ship it to you (if you're not based in EU), or if you are in the UK, you can come pick up the box. Alternatively, I could just ship the instructions.

Else, I'm happy to sell the actual pieces now - of course I need to sort all the pieces out - but I reckon I could post it out earliest next week.
The box itself I found at my parents' recently in great condition, but I would need to ask them to gather everything, and I think it could be posted in about 2 - 3 weeks tops.

Let's talk price - I'm willing to start at €600 - not including postage.
I'm happy to negotiate postage or something regarding the unusual box situation, as I know you anyone would prefer to have the complete set :)
(I also accept £)

PM me if you're interested with an offer :)

Gemüsestäbchen;117810284 said:
Hey all - I figured this might be the set that would be most interesting for folk... So going to open this coversation out to everyone on the thread.

I definitely have all the pieces, the instructions and the box, however this is split between my parents' in London, UK and my flat in Frankfurt am Main, Germany.
All the LEGO pieces are here in Germany, and all the paper stuff (instructions and box) is in the UK...

This means, if you want the box and paper instructions too, I would need to ship it over - and as it's gigantic - I would assume this could cost a bit.
That does give a few options, ship it to you (if you're not based in EU), or if you are in the UK, you can come pick up the box. Alternatively, I could just ship the instructions.

Else, I'm happy to sell the actual pieces now - of course I need to sort all the pieces out - but I reckon I could post it out earliest next week.
The box itself I found at my parents' recently in great condition, but I would need to ask them to gather everything, and I think it could be posted in about 2 - 3 weeks tops.

Let's talk price - I'm willing to start at €600 - not including postage.
I'm happy to negotiate postage or something regarding the unusual box situation, as I know you anyone would prefer to have the complete set :)
(I also accept £)

PM me if you're interested with an offer :)

While I knew it wouldn't be cheap, I'm out, cannot set that sort of cash aside for LEGO atm.

Rootbeer

Banned
To those not paying close attention...

LEGO The Movie: The Game is 75% off on Steam today as part of the Steam Summer Sale!

$7.49!

Some of the others are marked down to $5. But not SW :(

Top Bottom