• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

Zerojul

New S@H/Lego Stores deals for July/August (for France, as seen on Hothbricks):
Classic Space figure set, July 1st-7th, for 30€ and more (VIP only) :
wdohRoE.jpg
Chima polys, Frax's Phoenix Flyer, July 1st-16th and Worriz Bike July 17th-31st, for 30€ and more :
Mini Cooper polybag, August 1st-31st, for 55€ and more :

I dont have a space guy but would love one so this would be nice.

also heads up, all except the star wars Lego Games are $5 to $7.50 on steam right now. Worth it if you have been wanting any.

EDIT: didnt see post on other page, but I guess this is for new page

New S@H/Lego Stores deals for July/August (for France, as seen on Hothbricks):
Classic Space figure set, July 1st-7th, for 30€ and more (VIP only) :

Awesome!!! I hope the promotion goes really well and opens the flood gates for more classic space reissues. I have a ton of the blue ones from the display set a couple years ago. Just need more reds, yellows, and blacks. Some black Blacktron reissues too please! I don't have any of those.

Space guy looks really cool and clean. Like i'd be afraid to take him out of the packaging.

Silly Vader, simply go multiple times and get multiple sets. :)

Awesome!!! I hope the promotion goes really well and opens the flood gates for more classic space reissues. I have a ton of the blue ones from the display set a couple years ago. Just need more reds, yellows, and blacks. Some black Blacktron reissues too please! I don't have any of those.

Silly Vader, simply go multiple times and get multiple sets. :)

You monster! Don't go tempting me into buying sets I don't need xD

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Neo-GAF-Kenobi, you're my only hope.

Are the really old LEGO tracks compatible with current LEGO tracks? I might be able to get a good deal on some old tracks. I know they are the old grey color. I'm not a LEGO train guy, but if the price is right, I may open that can of worms.

These are some of the tracks I may be able to get:

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?S=4520-1

I am ALMOST certain the answer is no. 9V track has that that metal part that was used to connect track in a similar fashion to model trains. The newer trains being battery powered make zero use of that part.

But again, only ALMOST. I never tried to hook them up when I got huge into LEGO Trains. Someone should weigh in though and hopefully answer your question. :)

E: According to this here posting, if you're only running RC, you should be able to use 9v, 12v, OR PF track. :)

Neo-GAF-Kenobi, you're my only hope.

Are the really old LEGO tracks compatible with current LEGO tracks? I might be able to get a good deal on some old tracks. I know they are the old grey color. I'm not a LEGO train guy, but if the price is right, I may open that can of worms.

These are some of the tracks I may be able to get:

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?S=4520-1

This page gives a guide on how to make the new tracks backwards-compatible with the old ones, and it's simply laying down some copper over the new rail, so I'd assume they work together just fine.

I wish there was a way to forwards-convert my old Lego train to run on the new tracks :(

Edit: I should clarify, an EASY way. I know I could put in the new RC wheels and power bricks and such but the train I have doesn't have anywhere near enough space for that.

I am ALMOST certain the answer is no. 9V track has that that metal part that was used to connect track in a similar fashion to model trains. The newer trains being battery powered make zero use of that part.

But again, only ALMOST. I never tried to hook them up when I got huge into LEGO Trains. Someone should weigh in though and hopefully answer your question. :)

E: According to this here posting, if you're only running RC, you should be able to use 9v, 12v, OR PF track. :)

This page gives a guide on how to make the new tracks backwards-compatible with the old ones, and it's simply laying down some copper over the new rail, so I'd assume they work together just fine.

I wish there was a way to forwards-convert my old Lego train to run on the new tracks :(

Edit: I should clarify, an EASY way. I know I could put in the new RC wheels and power bricks and such but the train I have doesn't have anywhere near enough space for that.

Thanks!

It never occurred to me that the old tracks were electric. Duh.

Since I have no old LEGO trains or any LEGO trains at all, I'll grab those old tracks if I can get them dirt cheap. Choo choo!

Part of me hopes I don't get those tracks. Getting into LEGO trains seems like another huge money pit.

I've always LOVED train sets, had a bunch of BRIO when I was little plus we have some Lionel trains we scored at a garage sale or something up in storage. But for Lego, I think I'm safe because I'd really ever only want ONE train. I have no interest in making a train yard, or doing cargo/freight trains, I'd just want a passenger train to move my Lego citizens from town to town. And I just moved into a bigger room in my house, so I might finally be able to set up a train set if I can figure out a good layout for it. Luckily all the train sets available do absolutely nothing for me. Phew!

Kyari

Sorry for the slow response to the multiple "Why aren't you building them Kyari?" questions but basically it boils down to time I guess and also space? I would really LIKE to build the Death Star and the Sand Crawler but I don't have a dedicated surface large enough to do so on that would allow me to leave the parts out for possible weeks at a time.

I'm considering selling some of the sets I'm not in love with once they're retired (unpopular opinion: I don't care for the Super Star Destroyer) but just owning all of these sets has a mental block on me where I can't bring myself to buy any other sets haha.

Fowler

Sorry for the slow response to the multiple "Why aren't you building them Kyari?" questions but basically it boils down to time I guess and also space? I would really LIKE to build the Death Star and the Sand Crawler but I don't have a dedicated surface large enough to do so on that would allow me to leave the parts out for possible weeks at a time.

I'm considering selling some of the sets I'm not in love with once they're retired (unpopular opinion: I don't care for the Super Star Destroyer) but just owning all of these sets has a mental block on me where I can't bring myself to buy any other sets haha.

If I lived in the UK I would drive over right now to take that SSD off your hands :)

cassidyarch

Neo Member
Spaceman giveaway is awesome--but it still has the wrong helmet. They made a mold for the broken Benny helmet, why not make a mold for a non-cracked Classic Space helmet?

I would kill to see a new line of Classic Space, with the old-style helmets (albeit with a new, stronger mold).

I was a bad bad boy. Went to lego store while on lunch, and they had Ghostbusters in stock. Used the rest of my VIP points and then put the rest on credit card that I shouldn't be using. Spending money I don't have, but I can't chance this set disappearing.

sharbhund

Here's the probable final version of my Helms Deep MOC. I will probably change things, add more details, etc, but it's pretty darn close to finished product. Enjoy :)

Awesome Helm's Deep! I've been focused on building up my LOTR armies for a large-scale MOC (as soon as the Witch-King set comes out, I'll have all 9 Nazgûl).

I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with Orthanc!

mojiimbo

Here's the probable final version of my Helms Deep MOC. I will probably change things, add more details, etc, but it's pretty darn close to finished product. Enjoy :)
Amazing. I had rationalized being OK with missing out on Helm's Deep(and most of the first wave LOTR sets) because the official set didn't really do justice to the scale but now I'm getting major regrets.

Any idea of how much it cost you in bricklink parts to beef it up like that(not counting the extra minifigs)?

Ryuuroden

Amazing. I had rationalized being OK with missing out on Helm's Deep(and most of the first wave LOTR sets) because the official set didn't really do justice to the scale but now I'm getting major regrets.

Any idea of how much it cost you in bricklink parts to beef it up like that(not counting the extra minifigs)?

I used parts from 2 helms deep sets and 2 orc army sets. I picked up about 2 large PAB cups of gray and dark grey 1x3 and 1x4 (roughly 350 of each type I managed to get in the 2 cups) for the building up the keep more as well as the sides and inside the mountainside. I did already have a ton of light grey and dark grey already (probably over 1000 additional pieces of 1x3 dark grey went into the mountainside for support but I already owned them. Those are relatively easy to get from PAB. Another high cost item that I already had was a massive variety of large plates on which to build the raised base its built on. The only things I ordered from Bricklink are around 200 slope pieces of various type plus some specialty wall pieces and angle bricks as well as some extra arches. I probably only used about 20 dollars worth of my 70 dollar (not including the 6 helms) Bricklink order. I got 6 rohirrim helms at 2.99 each and put them on 4 of my series 3 elves to turn them into Rohirrim as well as the 2 Haldirs that came with Helms Deep. This gives me 6 additional Rohan soldiers without spending 12-15 dollars a minifig for the ones from the actual sets. I may end up getting some more helms as there are some old castle torsos that would work decently as a custom. I had a bunch of stuff leftover from the 2 helms deep sets and orc army sets that I didn't use. It ended up being relatively inexpensive because there are a lot of common parts in it and the uncommon ones were mostly provided from the official sets.

I found that the original set did not really have to be made very much larger than it already was to give justice to the scale. I only raised the first walls 1/2 larger than they already were and the inner keep is basically 2 times as high but is also helped by the fact that the bottom of it is raised to the same level is the first wall is on top of the rockside. The big game changer for making the set is basically having each wall higher up on the mountainside as you go back which adds a lot to the scale without making the footprint a whole lot larger. The space footprint the model for the main keep minus the deeping wall is just slightly larger than the original set and my Deeping Wall really isnt any more than say if you combined 3 segments of the one they produced for the official set and its about 4 bricks taller.

Fowler

I used parts from 2 helms deep sets and 2 orc army sets. I picked up about 2 large PAB cups of gray and dark grey 1x3 and 1x4 (roughly 350 of each type I managed to get in the 2 cups) for the building up the keep more as well as the sides and inside the mountainside. I did already have a ton of light grey and dark grey already (probably over 1000 additional pieces of 1x3 dark grey went into the mountainside for support but I already owned them. Those are relatively easy to get from PAB. Another high cost item that I already had was a massive variety of large plates on which to build the raised base its built on. The only things I ordered from Bricklink are around 200 slope pieces of various type plus some specialty wall pieces and angle bricks as well as some extra arches. I probably only used about 20 dollars worth of my 70 dollar (not including the 6 helms) Bricklink order. I got 6 rohirrim helms at 2.99 each and put them on 4 of my series 3 elves to turn them into Rohirrim as well as the 2 Haldirs that came with Helms Deep. This gives me 6 additional Rohan soldiers without spending 12-15 dollars a minifig for the ones from the actual sets. I may end up getting some more helms as there are some old castle torsos that would work decently as a custom. I had a bunch of stuff leftover from the 2 helms deep sets and orc army sets that I didn't use. It ended up being relatively inexpensive because there are a lot of common parts in it and the uncommon ones were mostly provided from the official sets.

I found that the original set did not really have to be made very much larger than it already was to give justice to the scale. I only raised the first walls 1/2 larger than they already were and the inner keep is basically 2 times as high but is also helped by the fact that the bottom of it is raised to the same level is the first wall is on top of the rockside. The big game changer for making the set is basically having each wall higher up on the mountainside as you go back which adds a lot to the scale without making the footprint a whole lot larger. The space footprint the model for the main keep minus the deeping wall is just slightly larger than the original set and my Deeping Wall really isnt any more than say if you combined 3 segments of the one they produced for the official set and its about 4 bricks taller.

It as worth it, because it is INCREDIBLE.

Nice work! I'm sad I didn't get 2 Helms Deep now.

Oh man, I've never seen dark grey slopes like that at my LEGO store. I'm jelly. I've gotten a bunch of 2x2x3 lt grey slopes, but that's it in terms of grey slopes.

Picked up the Ultra Tron Agents car at TRU today... man, all I am going to say is that it's nice and the Ultra Agents series is like trans blue heaven <3 was 20% off too with coupon :)

Mostly got it for Inferno as well as parts I want to use for mech stuff.

Realizing I enjoy building mechs. It's my second fave Lego thnig to do besides the minifigures ^_^

Rootbeer

Banned
So I guess the 2014 TMNT Movie sets are hitting some stores now, saw some reports of people buying them on another board.

I'm waiting for the July promo, of course :)

After a long night of work and a few beers later, Ecto-1 is finished.

Initial thoughts?
QnQtmsP.gif

SNOT. SNOT everywhere! Saw some techniques Bessa used in Ewok village with the different types and levels of SNOT pieces on the sides that somehow come out level in the end. I really need to learn that and use it a lot. It is awesome.

And the windows on the side were really awesome and simple.

The top of the car came together so wonderfully. Great implied detail using simple pieces. I love seeing stuff like that. I was also looking out for the differences between the original CUUSOO model and the final one that were brought up in the video with Wetwired and Bessa.

Overall, a fantastic model and build, and worth every dollar of debt this put me further into. I especially loved the big stand you build for the mini figures. I think all big sets or display sets like this should start using that. It is a great thing to display the figures, and it looks great to boot.

Thank you, Wetwired for making the original model. Thank you to Marcos Bessa for his redesign in such a short time and getting the product out. And thank you to everyone that supported Wetwired's idea that helped make it a reality.

I've cried enough for one day.
I'mma go get my old Lego box and build something.
It just seems like the right thing to do.

I can't tell if this says if you have seen Field of Dreams or not. :)

But yes, it is best to leave the emotional bomb of that movie for another day. Field of Dreams is one of those films generally considered to be okay for a man to cry at. In fact, it is expected.

I get all teary eyed at a lot of stuff really. I didn't at LEGO Movie, but it was tough holding it together during Toy Story 3.

Zerojul

Stunning !!!

I get all teary eyed at a lot of stuff really. I didn't at LEGO Movie, but it was tough holding it together during Toy Story 3.

Toy Story 3 makes me cry EVERY FUCKING TIME. There's no holding it together at all. And "Up" too, but I guess that's normal :)

ruxtpin

Banned
lol - There's an episode of Wilfred where Lego (specifically the Medieval Market Village) is brought up. Season 3 Episode 11 if interested.

Zerojul

Got the Ghost Train and Mummy sets, my Monster Fighters collection is near complete
except The Zombies set but nobody has it so I might just as well let it go
:)
Good thing I found the light and started a Galaxy Squad collection the other day, otherwise I would have been left with a bit of money on my bank account.

Toy Story 3 makes me cry EVERY FUCKING TIME. There's no holding it together at all. And "Up" too, but I guess that's normal :)

Toy Story 3 for me too!
The scenes where they're all holding hands as they're sliding toward the incinerator and the end where Andy gives Woody to the little girl. I'm a dad with two kids now, so I'm not embarrassed to admit I cry during certain kid's movies. =)

Top Bottom