• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Review of the next lego ideas set 21110 'research institute' (by the author herself)

P1070976m3.JPG

http://alatarielatelier.blogspot.se/p/blog-page_26.html?m=1
Month one.

Great set, not a must have but still pretty neat. Cuusoo/Ideas seems to be having much faster turn arounds recently too, and thats always a good thing.

Review of the next lego ideas set 21110 'research institute' (by the author herself)

P1070976m3.JPG

Hmmm. Nothing that really screams interesting to me. And the concept of female scientists has partly been done in Friends already. They should have gone crazy with unique prints to make up for the rather mundane designs.

Also, I'm generally not fond of the "separate dioramas" style of sets.

LAAAAAME!

My hopes that the Logo team would spice up this uninspired set have been officially dashed.
Mine too. I was really hoping they would make it a more complete actual set instead of the three small squares. I'm actually pretty disappointed. :(

Also where the flip is the Exo Suit?!

So what is brick link?

I know people but individual Lego pieces from it, but where do they come from? Are they secondhand? Official from Lego? Are they all authentic?

Is it a store or a user run thing?

All official LEGO unless the seller is scamming you (never happened to me and I've never come across a story of it happening to anyone).

Site started by AFOL who passed away and family continued site until recently bought by a rich entrepreneur AFOL.

Site houses sellers/stores, pretty much like how eBay works except no bidding. Just sold at set prices that the stores choose.

It's often referred to some affectionately as "cracklink" due to it's addictive nature.

P1070976m3.JPG

Looks good. It's not screaming, "must buy!", but I feel it embraces the vision of LEGO Ideas.

My understanding of Cuusoo, now LEGO Ideas, is it was to crowdsource new ideas to the LEGO community and to filter those ideas based on the community's feedback. It wasn't to get licensed products to market or sell large volumes of sets (although business-wise, the idea would have to be viable enough to sell enough sets to not lose money).

- Generate interest in LEGO from people that normally don't buy LEGO or play with LEGO. (expand market).
- Have sets created that normally would not get made. i.e. LEGO normally wouldn't commit resources to doing the initial designing and research some or most of the projects on LEGO Ideas.

So essentially LEGO Ideas handles the initial designing and research via crowdsourcing, and allows LEGO fans to have their idea created as an official LEGO set (and get some of the profits). Win/win for all parties IMO.

Zerojul

Month one.

Great set, not a must have but still pretty neat. Cuusoo/Ideas seems to be having much faster turn arounds recently too, and thats always a good thing.

My thoughts exactly. Nothing breathtaking, but a nice little set that I will get eventually. The 19,99€ price is ideal IMO.

Also I must confess I'm MUCH more excited by the Exo suit.

Rootbeer

Banned
I think the research institute is alright for $20, so i'll be getting it. it's not exciting though. Mostly buying to support LEGO Ideas.

could end up with two exo suits all said and done

Seems Barnes and Noble stores did a run of clearance on LEGO this week. Stopped by the store near home and they had Friends Beach House and Atlantis Sub (whatever the red thing is called) on clearance for 50% off. I might stop by other stores to see what their selection is. Might get lucky on some random older sets.
They also had all the new LEGO Movie and Guardians of the Galaxy sets. So hopefully I get birthday money in August and can load up on stuff whenever a coupon comes out.

But dammit, August is also Mini Cooper, Mech Suit, etc. And I have so many exclusives to still get. URGH. It is never ending.

So the Exo Suit will be available by the end of July, if not sooner, for that meet and greet, yet all we have is a logo. Meanwhile, Research Center is sometime in August and we already have box art for it.

What the fuck.

neonglow

I'll pick up 2 copies of Research Institute because it's so cheap. This could be a situation like the Mars Rover where I don't think it's a big enough license for LEGO to make any more additional print runs.

Ponn

Banned
Twenty Seven Iron Man Armors

P98vFXq.jpg

Did you moc that Hulkbuster? Looks like its from the fire mixels, either way thats a good idea I need to try. I would fill out the midsection a little more though, hulkbuster is supposed to be bulky.

Damnnit everytime I see pics like this makes me want to nab a second Malibu Mansion set and make a really nice Iron Man armory scene.

Did you moc that Hulkbuster? Looks like its from the fire mixels, either way thats a good idea I need to try. I would fill out the midsection a little more though, hulkbuster is supposed to be bulky.

It is made using only the 3 Fire Mixel sets. I used minimum parts on purpose, but I do have the 5429 set on the way to use to make a solid custom version.

reference:

czrS0Qw.jpg

Ponn

Banned
It is made using only the 3 Fire Mixel sets. I used minimum parts on purpose, but I do have the 5429 set on the way to use to make a solid custom version.

reference:

czrS0Qw.jpg

I looked up that set and saw it was oop and going for about $90 and was going to ask where you got one. Then I checked certain sites and found one for about $10. nice. I think I will go ahead and get one and make a real IM armory my next project after my Independence day scene i'm working on.

Did you like those big Thing figs? I'm not a big fan of FF and hate to get 3 big figs like that. I also see the DBZ figs, super saiyan nice. I need a Vegeta fig.

I looked up that set and saw it was oop and going for about $90 and was going to ask where you got one. Then I checked certain sites and found one for about $10. nice. I think I will go ahead and get one and make a real IM armory my next project after my Independence day scene i'm working on.

That's using your head :)

Yeah, I have the 3 mega figure Things. More pics later. I ran out of steam tonight, lol.

Chairhome

Built my father's day present finally. Fun build. Love the movies. Just added the few things to make it the bttf2 version, I'll take pics of that some other time.

Was trying to recreate the movie poster. Need to add shades :-D

The print is a little crooked on my license plate... oh well.

Great Scott! What have I done!

... and now the Galaxy Squad sets are back on sale again at S@H.

"These aren't selling, so mark them down."
*sales skyrocket*
"My god, these things are super popular! Why are we selling them at a discount!?"
*removes discount. No one buys anymore*

A vicious cycle.

*sales skyrocket*
"My god, these things are super popular! Why are we selling them at a discount!?"
*removes discount. No one buys anymore*

A vicious cycle.

Fingers crossed they get to 50% off and there is a pile in the store when I walk in.

I never had ice planet theme sets, but this is epic.

Ironmask

So I too have received the latest chinese clones (the 3 thing, phoenix, nolan's joker etc).
They're clearly getting better in printing quality but still the plastics and junctures are a let down.
This time I also had zero printing issues hurray

update:

almost done with Ecto-1 and... i did indeed find out why they used those dark red 1x1 donut studs... DAT crazy window technique, good stuff, would have never in a million years thought of doing windows that way :O

Even if there are cooler sets in Ice Planet, Blacktron still has the coolest minifigures ever.

blacktron1.jpg

That's like one half of Daft Punk there!

The LEGO Movie inspired me to dig out my childhood LEGO box, and I made loads of mini-figs. I was so pleasantly surprised that I had the pieces to make my own Benny (called him Ben because the helmet wasn't cracked)... and then I lost him at work somehow. Still really crushed.

Those sets are long gone now, huh? ._. I'm about to get SPACESHIP to compensate.

I got the Bad Cop Pursuit set along with a second Blu-ray of the movie. It was great fun letting the time pass by as I was building it.

Did you like those big Thing figs? I'm not a big fan of FF and hate to get 3 big figs like that. I also see the DBZ figs, super saiyan nice. I need a Vegeta fig.

Whoa whats the certain sites? PM please :)

Milchjon

LEGO Fairground Mixer is the most awesome set I've seen since the modulars.

I was like

cheryl-clap.gif

throughout the 20 minute review video.

I'm a kid again now.

Top Bottom