• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

I don't know if it's just my store or what, but a bunch of stuff was 20% off today. All Castle sets, a grip of new Star Wars stuff, and mixed City. I grabbed the Castle set with the dragon in it for $20. Woop!

Also, on the way home, after talking with my supervisor about it, I finally bit the bullet and got myself Vampyre's Castle.

:D

Hopefully the final Hobbit wave has a Smaug in it so my red dragon can have a friend. (shocked they haven't made a set with him already wtf)

ghostmind

I don't know if it's just my store or what, but a bunch of stuff was 20% off today. All Castle sets, a grip of new Star Wars stuff, and mixed City. I grabbed the Castle set with the dragon in it for $20. Woop!

Also, on the way home, after talking with my supervisor about it, I finally bit the bullet and got myself Vampyre's Castle.

:D

Hopefully the final Hobbit wave has a Smaug in it so my red dragon can have a friend. (shocked they haven't made a set with him already wtf)

Nope, it's a bunch of LEGO stores, and apparently the sale is supposed to last until the end of the weekend only.

And yes, Smaug is coming in the next (final?) wave of Hobbit sets.

Enjoy the Vampyre's Castle!

Nope, it's a bunch of LEGO stores, and apparently the sale is supposed to last until the end of the weekend only.

And yes, Smaug is coming in the next (final?) wave of Hobbit sets.

Enjoy the Vampyre's Castle!

Yeah the stickers say the sale runs friday to sunday.

Do we have any pictures or information about the final Hobbit sets? The only thing I remember seeing is a page from a magazine that was like "Coming this fall!" or something with four box silhouettes with "???" on/under them.

ghostmind

Yeah the stickers say the sale runs friday to sunday.

Do we have any pictures or information about the final Hobbit sets? The only thing I remember seeing is a page from a magazine that was like "Coming this fall!" or something with four box silhouettes with "???" on/under them.

Only bits and pieces... The official reveal won't happen for a couple months still I think.

Four sets, one of which is a Five Armies builder, one is another Lake town set that supposedly links to the one from the last wave, and Smaug comes in the big $130USD set.

Only bits and pieces... The official reveal won't happen for a couple months still I think.

Four sets, one of which is a Five Armies builder, one is another Lake town set that supposedly links to the one from the last wave, and Smaug comes in the big $130USD set.

WAT

bailout4tj.jpg

Ponn

Banned

Hmm...i might need to really pick up Lake Town Chase now. At that price is there any chance at all Smaug will be brick built? Just not sure I would pick it up otherwise.

funny thing is he looks like he is bailing in. Foreshadow?

Eklipsis

I would get them in this order:

Hobbit Unexpected Gathering
Back to the Future Delorean
Superman vs Power Armor
Ghostbusters
Hulk lab smash
On it's way out
Hobbit unexpected gathering

Gone around Christmas?
Superman vs power armor
Back to the future delorean

Available next year?
Hulk lab smash
Ghostbusters

Well I guess I don't listen to advise lol... this was my cheapest route at the moment so I picked it up.

IMG_5369_zps21fc05b8.jpg

After the baby went to bed, the older kids and I worked on it. Then when they went to bed then I finished it up.

IMG_5372_zpsa2fe468d.jpg

Left over parts

IMG_5375_zps964dc295.jpg

Overall a good set, although I mostly bought it for the Hulk, I like the figures and it has great playability. Also its my first bigger set since childhood and I got one of the LEGO separators which Ive been wanting since my son got one lol.

Well I guess I don't listen to advise lol... this was my cheapest route at the moment so I picked it up.

IMG_5369_zps21fc05b8.jpg

After the baby went to bed, the older kids and I worked on it. Then when they went to bed then I finished it up.
Overall a good set, although I mostly bought it for the Hulk, I like the figures and it has great playability. Also its my first bigger set since childhood and I got one of the LEGO separators which Ive been wanting since my son got one lol.

Your concept of cheapest and mine are very different. That set is around $50 which is more than many of the other sets. :)

That is my opinion of that set as well. It's a great playset to feature Hulk's smashing ability. The assortment of minifigs is quite awesome too.

Steampunk LEGO hardcover book coming out in September:

2HDvzDf.png

http://www.amazon.com/Steampunk-LEGO-Guy-Himber/dp/1593275285

It is unofficial, but it looks wonderful.

Guy Himber is the guy that did a bunch of Kickstarter LEGO projects. I participated in his pig vs cow project. He did a skull one after that, but I didn't like the design. He has another one in the works based on some role playing game or something.

I think he's well known in the LEGO community as I've seen his stuff mentioned in many of the LEGO blogs.

Rootbeer

Banned
horses in the PAB wall!?!? W. T. F.? That's awesome!

Making a trip into the LEGO store in early July for the new TMNT stuff, hope I find something new.

The Research institute would make an absolutely fantastic set of polybags since they decided to go the stupid vignette way with it. Make them like Mixels or the Friends Animals, $4-5 each, and do all of the ideas from the original pitch, just in waves of 3. The girl's submission had something like 9-10 different ideas beyond the three they're making.

Wave 1: Paleontologist, Astronomer, Chemist
Wave 2: Falconer, Geologist, Robotics Engineer
Wave 3: Zoologist, Judge, Postal Worker
Wave 4: Mechanic, Fire Fighter, Construction Worker

Heck maybe that's exactly what they'll do if it sells well, and like Minecraft, this set will get "sequels", each with 3 new vignettes.

Zerojul

The Research institute would make an absolutely fantastic set of polybags since they decided to go the stupid vignette way with it. Make them like Mixels or the Friends Animals, $4-5 each, and do all of the ideas from the original pitch, just in waves of 3. The girl's submission had something like 9-10 different ideas beyond the three they're making.

Wave 1: Paleontologist, Astronomer, Chemist
Wave 2: Falconer, Geologist, Robotics Engineer
Wave 3: Zoologist, Judge, Postal Worker
Wave 4: Mechanic, Fire Fighter, Construction Worker

Heck maybe that's exactly what they'll do if it sells well, and like Minecraft, this set will get "sequels", each with 3 new vignettes.

That's an excellent idea, man :)

Eklipsis

Your concept of cheapest and mine are very different. That set is around $50 which is more than many of the other sets. :)

I had a coupon for the store I bought it from and the other sets I would have to pay for shipping or spend more to get free shipping.

I am anti-sticker so those didnt get put on and the Simpsons mini fig was Ralph. My wife made fun of me the whole time but I didnt care lol. Looking forward to picking up the other sets on my must have list soon.

Oh my. I will fill a bunch of cups with these if I ever find them.

Wow! I checked the forum and they actually had the new horses too! I just assumed they were the old style horses.

http://www.toysnbricks.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=&t=10913
Pick-a-Brick-Pieces-LEGO-Brand-Stores-Summer-2014.jpg

Whoa! Brown horses. The new style. I stocked up on old style white horses last year (and never used them, but you never know), so getting a lot of brown will be cool.
And stairs too? Now that is a rare piece. Might have to see if the store nearby got those in.

lol I actually got a $5 buck reward thing from TRU for buying Benny's Spaceship from there. I wonder if I should put it to good use already?

mojiimbo

Whoa! Brown horses. The new style. I stocked up on old style white horses last year (and never used them, but you never know), so getting a lot of brown will be cool.
And stairs too? Now that is a rare piece. Might have to see if the store nearby got those in.
Most stores should have them on the 1st, I think. The big push this wave is "goes great with the Disney Princess theme."

Most stores should have them on the 1st, I think. The big push this wave is "goes great with the Disney Princess theme."

Original plan was to go on the 1st, but seeing that post makes me want to go today. Let's see how my lunch break goes and if I want to brave a mall on a Sunday afternoon.

Thinking of it that way, I am best checking tomorrow or Tuesday. Less traffic and crowds while on a time crunch.

Eklipsis

Really wish I had a LEGO store near me. I've never got a PAB cup before. I think the nearest one to me is in Chicago and thats like a 3 hr drive.

I haven't even used what I bought from my last PAB buy yet, but I'm starting to itch for those gems, stairs, and horses.

I've got some weird tick now where I want ALL the colors of the gems. I think I have dark red and dark blue, possibly a dark green? Now there's a light blue and I think I've seen that neon-green / yellow color too? Blargh!!

Is there anything new releasing on July 1st?

I'm not sure if it's July 1st but the new Ninja Turtles sets are like, right around the corner. We've already got a floor display up with new stickers, Flashback Shredder will be happening (not sure what day that starts) and I think some of the new PAB wall stuff is supposed to be themed with the Turtles too (replacing the Star Wars stuff, IIRC).

Ponn

Banned
I'm not sure if it's July 1st but the new Ninja Turtles sets are like, right around the corner. We've already got a floor display up with new stickers, Flashback Shredder will be happening (not sure what day that starts) and I think some of the new PAB wall stuff is supposed to be themed with the Turtles too (replacing the Star Wars stuff, IIRC).

July might be my time out month. GoG and Ecto 1 hit my wallet hard. That new Turtle Lair looks awesome but the movie figs...ugh...wish that turtle lair was the one I got for the cartoon figs.

I'm preparing to make my first dip into Star Wars in August/Sept with the new AT AT, Snowspeeder and Imperial Star Destroyer. I

My wife picked up the Ecto-1 for me from Downtown Disney in Orlando, FL. The set is nowhere to be found in my area, so it's cool she thought of me when she saw it :)

She also said "Hey, do you want all these Agent sets too?" Haha, I love my wife!

July might be my time out month. GoG and Ecto 1 hit my wallet hard. That new Turtle Lair looks awesome but the movie figs...ugh...wish that turtle lair was the one I got for the cartoon figs.
I'm feeling the same way about July. I want Falshback Shredder so I'm gonna grab Town Hall, and I have like $10-15 in VIP I think, making it about $85 for me. Otherwise I'd sit out July completely. I've dug myself a bit of a hole recently thanks to Vampyre's Castle and the Galaxy Squad sale. Gotta get back on top of things in the event that something happens in August. I'm mainly concerned with the promos for each month right now, since I've cleaned up most of the old or near OOP sets I wanted I have a chance to let some of my green grow back hahaha yeah RIGHT

Speaking if promos though, we had a store meeting today with prizes and I won myself a Martian Manhunter and a TC-14! Also snagged a Series 8 CMF (no idea wtf it was doing around, it was... Shakespeare? Dude wth the frilly neck thing and skull) and a police car keychain. Woo hoo!

Ravek

Banned
So.

Ive decided that im going to start rebuilding a lot of sets from my childhood. First I am going to start with the ones my kids broke (piece by piece)while I was gone for four months, which are my Galaxy Squad sets and The Hobbit An Unexpected Gathering.

Im still in the process of building them (its a extremely trying experience).

My question, though, is which LOTR or The Hobbit sets are as well crafted as AUG? This really is an amazing set and I want more from this universe.

Its my birthday month, and I already know I have the new GoTG sets coming my way, so what should I get myself?

bedlamite

I've got the Zombie Monster Hunter set gathering dust on one of my shelves, $300 for that? whoa.

Picked up Infearno Interception from the Ultra Agents line yesterday (along with the Trevi Fountain) and it's a cracking build. I've got a bunch of sets in the backlog but I've been eagerly anticipating Infearno and I couldn't wait to break the box open once I got home. Great fun, although the front wheels don't seem to grip very well, what with them being made out of plastic and all. Might run some rubber bands along the front rims and see how that goes.

Just noticed a little thing about the front cockpit in the Hurricane Heist set, the sticker/LCD readout in it contains a direct reference to the codec screen in Metal Gear Solid. Pretty neat.

So.

Ive decided that im going to start rebuilding a lot of sets from my childhood. First I am going to start with the ones my kids broke (piece by piece)while I was gone for four months, which are my Galaxy Squad sets and The Hobbit An Unexpected Gathering.

Im still in the process of building them (its a extremely trying experience).

My question, though, is which LOTR or The Hobbit sets are as well crafted as AUG? This really is an amazing set and I want more from this universe.

Its my birthday month, and I already know I have the new GoTG sets coming my way, so what should I get myself?

AUG is superior in general. The only other must-have is Helm's Deep, and possibly Shelob. Although I would say that you really need to collect the entire fellowship. Also, Orthanc is incredibly impressive if you have the money and (vertical) space for it.

Ironmask

For shelf displayability, I reccomend the Attack on Weathertop set and The Wizard Battle set. The former is a really fun build too and the way you achieve the roundish form is awesome.

Really wish I had a LEGO store near me. I've never got a PAB cup before. I think the nearest one to me is in Chicago and thats like a 3 hr drive.

Check out LEGO Marketplace Thread: Feed the Need

I am willing to fill up PAB cups with stuff and ship it to you. The shipping kills the savings though, but depending on the LEGO parts you get, you could still end up saving a lot. The other part is it's often hard to get lots of different items as the selections vary a lot from time to time and place to place.

For shelf displayability, I reccomend the Attack on Weathertop set and The Wizard Battle set. The former is a really fun build too and the way you achieve the roundish form is awesome.

Weathertop is kind of lame. You need it for nazgul and Merry, but it's way too small to really show any action. The nazgul are awesome though - mine have a run-in with the Ghostbusters currently. The cutest ringwraiths ever.

Wizard Battle is neat but completely redundant if you're planning to get Orthanc.

Eklipsis

Check out LEGO Marketplace Thread: Feed the Need

I am willing to fill up PAB cups with stuff and ship it to you. The shipping kills the savings though, but depending on the LEGO parts you get, you could still end up saving a lot. The other part is it's often hard to get lots of different items as the selections vary a lot from time to time and place to place.

I saw that thread before but didn't look like it was used much...I may have to go through my CMFs and see if I have something to trade. Ill let you know about the PAB though thanks.

So, um... this just happened.

firebrigade_x2.jpg

Saving them for a rainy day. Either I make a profit or someone becomes really, really happy.

So jealous...Id love to get into the modulars someday. The plan is to make a small city for my kids (5/4/1 yrs old) and I to play with, but I keep finding sets that I want for display pieces, ie. Ghostbusters/BTTF Delorean/Unexpected Gathering, that also feed into my other likes cars/movies

ghostmind

LEGO in July

9rT17LN.jpg

Free Flashback Shredder polybag (5002127) (1st - 20th): North America only; available at LEGO stores or via S@H with a purchase of $75 or more.

DjIf0EY.jpg

Free Cosmonaut set (5002812) (1st - 7th): Europe/UK only; available at LEGO stores or via S@H with a purchase of 30€ or more.

vdPEB3Q.jpg

Free Legend of Chima - Phoenix Flyer polybag (30264) (1st - 16th): Europe/UK only; available at LEGO stores or via S@H with a purchase of 30€ or more.
Free Legend of Chima - Worriz Fire Bike polybag (30265) (17th - 31st): Europe/UK only; available at LEGO stores or via S@H with a purchase of 30€ or more.

peorWh5.jpg

Early VIP Access for Mini Cooper set (10242) (18th - 31st): available at LEGO stores or via S@H.

7ujDGuf.jpg

Free Mini Cooper polybag (40109) (18th - 31st): only for purchasers of 10242 in July. Will be available for all in August with a purchase of 55€ or more. Unconfirmed if this promo will be available in North America in July.

Sucs5jR.jpg

San Diego Comic-Con (24th - 27th): exclusive LEGO set reveal (rumor is UCS Batman set), possible additional reveals for late 2014/2015, possible exclusive minifigs and sets

Ponn

Banned
Star Wars Lego = best Lego.

The ISD is amazing. I'll be grabbing AT-AT and Snowspeeder next month.

My 30th birthday present last week.

SSD is really, really awesome but realistically just like Sydney Opera House I do not have the room for it. I can find room for the ISD though and thats why i'm going for that. It looks really good and the AT AT with snowspeeder would look pretty cool on my desk. Thankfully i'm just not into collecting all the Star Wars sets so my wallet is safe. I would like to get one of the X-wings though and a Millenium Falcon but i'm waiting to see if the rumors of a UCS Falcon are true or not.

Next to the ones already mentioned as far as inspired sets LoTR and Hobbit have been a big let down for me. They are very bland except for the Helms Deep, Orthanc and AUG. Pirate Ship ambush was kinda cool for me but really just because I hadn't built a Lego ship before. I'm sure there are much better ships out there.

I will suggest Council of Elrond though, I don't think it gets enough love. It's a cheaper set but comes with some nice figs, some really nice pieces and as far as display it looks really serene and nice on a shelf.

Top Bottom