• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

Lego are so clever. I need to plan to get something over €30 to get that spaceman. But then I might as well get something over €60 so I get free shipping (it tends to be really expensive either way). And that leaves me with the Bike Shop thing... which is kind of overpriced at €80. I mean, at that price you only need to add €50 to get the Palace Cinema instead...

Ryuuroden

I think I am going to start on my Isengard MOC this weekend :) First up, build the official set, take pictures, etc for comparison, then start the doubling (minimum) of size. I would like it to be 4-5 feet tall when I am done, perhaps 6 feet, it will depend on how big it has to be to get the detail in that I want to get in it.

I think I am going to start on my Isengard MOC this weekend :) First up, build the official set, take pictures, etc for comparison, then start the doubling (minimum) of size. I would like it to be 4-5 feet tall when I am done, perhaps 6 feet, it will depend on how big it has to be to get the detail in that I want to get in it.

Holy cow! Looking forward to seeing this!

Eklipsis

There are a few must have sets I want but I can't afford to buy all at the same time so can someone help sort them oldest to newest or what ones are most likely to dissapear sooner.

I want

Superman vs power armor
Back to the future delorean
Hulk lab smash
Hobbit unexpected gathering
Ghostbusters

Ghostbusters is the most recent out of all of them correct? I am not sure how long the Lego ideas sets stay out.

There are a few must have sets I want but I can't afford to buy all at the same time so can someone help sort them oldest to newest or what ones are most likely to dissapear sooner.

I want

Superman vs power armor
Hulk lab smash
Ghostbusters

Ghostbusters is the most recent out of all of them correct? I am not sure how long the Lego ideas sets stay out.

Hard to say which will disappear the soonest. With LEGO Ideas it, is rolling the dice because they did more than 1 run on the Minecraft sets, but the Mars Rover they only did one despite there being a good demand for more.

I would get them in this order:

Hobbit Unexpected Gathering
Back to the Future Delorean
Superman vs Power Armor
Ghostbusters
Hulk lab smash

Depending on how you feel about Hobbit, you can move that to #3. It's still available online at most places, but I think once it's gone the after market price will jump a lot.

neonglow

I want

Superman vs power armor
Hulk lab smash
Ghostbusters

Predicting the smaller sets is harder than the bigger sets but I'll give it a try.

On it's way out

Gone around Christmas?
Superman vs power armor

Available next year?
Hulk lab smash
Ghostbusters

Ryuuroden

So, just finished my last Galaxy Squad set, I saved the Hive Crawler for last. All I have to say is lol wow, that shit is nightmare material. Pretty awesome stuff.

Rootbeer

Banned
Seriously, you think they'd retire the BttF set so fast? It's a huge seller. I suppose the license could be pretty limited.

I already have two though, they can do what they like :p

ghostmind

Oh wow, someone built Springfield!

cwDJNMT.jpg

More here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/pepa_quin/sets/72157642149492755

LEGO Fairground Mixer is the most awesome set I've seen since the modulars.

I was like

cheryl-clap.gif

throughout the 20 minute review video.

I'm a kid again now.

Hey Milchjon. I was like wait this is not Windows Phone thread. Way too positive anyway.

I know many people wish it is a modular but I really like it and it is on my list to get during VIP bonus.

forgot to mention I spotted Agents sets at Target yesterday. Still stands out as one of the best parts sets/series I've seen in a while.

It's definitely summer of the trans blue.

So, just finished my last Galaxy Squad set, I saved the Hive Crawler for last. All I have to say is lol wow, that shit is nightmare material. Pretty awesome stuff.

kKCuzzE.gif

Hive Crawler getting in those final hits before it dies. And then it shall strike fear into men's hearts from beyond the grave.

Glad you liked it. Now go terrorize some pets with it.

That is so AWESOME!

You might say that everything is awesome.

ghostmind

While not a sales success while it was available, the Dino theme is quickly rising in OOP values. Set 5887 (Dino Defense HQ) has already tripled in value, currently selling for around $300.

Zerojul

My Galaxy Squad collection is growing steadily, in one week I got hold of everything except Star Slicer and Eradicator Mech, for an average 40% off of MSRP. I thought it would be harder than that, the whole collection being OOP and all (in Europe). Now I need to wait for everything to ship, but still, I'm quite pleased :)
Hive Crawler getting in those final hits before it dies. And then it shall strike fear into men's hearts from beyond the grave.
Glad you liked it. Now go terrorize some pets with it.
I have a cat and I can't wait to see how she will react to this monster. The little thing is already afraid of her own shadow... There might be slight mockery on my part.

ghostmind

Speaking of sets going crazy in the OOP market, 9465 (The Zombies) from the Monster Fighters is now going for 5x what it retailed for - $250 currently.

ghostmind

This right here is why my MF collection will never be complete. Crazy indeed.

Available for only 3 months from S@H, and limited to only Target stores in the USA (who had trouble keeping it in stock) made The Zombies a very rare set.

The Dino sets are driven solely by the unique dinosaur molds. I could see that one coming, but I didn't expect values to rise that fast.

EDIT: my math was wrong - The Zombies is going for over 6x of its MSRP.

Speaking of sets going crazy in the OOP market, 9465 (The Zombies) from the Monster Fighters is now going for 5x what it retailed for - $250 currently.

That's crazy! I have the set and it's not that great. Time to check how much the zombie minifigs are going. I'd like to keep them but the aren't that great IMO. Zombie bride face could have been better. Zombie groom head is good.

I love the series 1 CMF zombie design and the limo driver zombie head design is great (needs different generic clothes to make it awesome).

Oh snap!

Zombie bride goes for $30+
http://www.bricklink.com/search.asp?itemID=109925

Zombie groom goes for a paltry $7+
http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?M=mof011

ghostmind

You could easily get $40 for the Zombie Bride.

Another hot market are polybags. That mini VW T1 Camper Van poly that was a free promo last August is now selling for $40. That's a third of the price of the full-size set!

Remember that when the Mini Cooper poly is the promo this August.

This right here is why my MF collection will never be complete. Crazy indeed.

You're not missing out on much except two of the minifigs. I find it crazy how much the zombie bride is now. Must be because not many were made. I'd rather have Bellatrix Lestrange minifig which I think is way better. Both go for about the same price.

Another hot market are polybags. That mini VW T1 Camper Van poly that was a free promo last August is now selling for $40. That's a third of the price of the full-size set!

Whoa! $40! Is there any rare color piece or printed piece in that set? Seems like you could bricklink most of it for well under $40.

I haven't opened mine. I REALLY, REALLY need to sell some of my LEGO. I have extras of some stuff that I've been planning on selling on eBay or Bricklink for years, but have yet to sell a single brick.

ghostmind

Whoa! $40! Is there any rare color piece or printed piece in that set? Seems like you could bricklink most of it for well under $40.

I haven't opened mine. I REALLY, REALLY need to sell some of my LEGO. I have extras of some stuff that I've been planning on selling on eBay or Bricklink for years, but have yet to sell a single brick.

The unique moonstone crystal goes for $10 to $15 in North America.

The unique moonstone crystal goes for $10 to $15 in North America.

Oh I mean the VW Van polybag. I love that polybag, but I'd sell it for $40 and get any pieces I'm missing from bricklink.

Looks like is the only rare" part.

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemIn.asp?P=93604&in=S

And it looks like a sticker with no printer parts.

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemInv.asp?S=40079-1

I really need to start selling stuff to finance my purchases. I'm waaaay over budget every month.

EDIT: Oh man....I need to sell that crystal if it's worth $15.

Of the polybags I've gotten since I got back into Lego, I've only opened the Iron Man. I'm saving these for a rainy day:

* Legolas x 5
* Martian Manhunter
* Balloon Cart
* Super Secret Police Enforcer
* BR soldier
* Mini VW Camper
* Jor-El

Oh I mean the VW Van polybag. I love that polybag, but I'd sell it for $40 and get any pieces I'm missing from bricklink.

Looks like is the only rare" part.

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemIn.asp?P=93604&in=S

And it looks like a sticker with no printer parts.

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemInv.asp?S=40079-1

I really need to start selling stuff to finance my purchases. I'm waaaay over budget every month.

EDIT: Oh man....I need to sell that crystal if it's worth $15.

I just built the this week. I've had it for a month and have been meaning to build it to stand with its big brother. Someone gave me the hippie minifig so I thought it was a perfect time to build and get some pics. It's really nice and I don't mind that I paid £20 for it.

xz3ZBYJ.jpg

DtatxQm.jpg

Zerojul

I just built the this week. I've had it for a month and have been meaning to build it to stand with its big brother. Someone gave me the hippie minifig so I thought it was a perfect time to build and get some pics. It's really nice and I don't mind that I paid £20 for it.

xz3ZBYJ.jpg

DtatxQm.jpg
Haha those pics are real nice :)

damn... good thing i got about 4 Zombie sets last year for Retail price that i found in an abandoned supermarket aisle lol... I also have yet to sell ONE set though, damnit. I really need to set up a shop on BL. :(

Zerojul

damn... good thing i got about 4 Zombie sets last year for Retail price that i found in an abandoned supermarket aisle lol... I also have yet to sell ONE set though, damnit. I really need to set up a shop on BL. :(

I wish I had this kind of luck, although I really only need one... Anyway you're sitting on a gold mine, man ;)

While not a sales success while it was available, the Dino theme is quickly rising in OOP values. Set 5887 (Dino Defense HQ) has already tripled in value, currently selling for around $300.

Damn. That is VERY tempting. Granted, the value will go down if they are open like mine are, but those prices are quite tempting. I could get quite a few new sets for selling those two.

But, at the same time, I like having the rarer stuff.

Are those the houses from Arrested Development on the back left behind the Kwik-E-Mart?

They might be. It certainly looks like them.

nah it's all good in theory, but really, you got to find people that are actually willing to PAY that kinda price for those sets first...

And therein lies the challenge. It was the same way with comic books for me. Seeing the value of so many things I had, and then getting about half or so when I actually sold them.

I have a really stupid habit of buying multiple polybags and not opening them. Ironically I think the only ones I have opened in the last two years are the two you sent me (Lex & the Orc) because my daughter wanted to play with them.

I have a few bins I store them in...but I hate that I've become that guy who knowingly buys things (or gets them as a purchase incentive bonus) and never opens them...

Ponn

Banned
I have a bad habit of opening everything right away. I make a horrible collector. The only two polybags i still have unopened are the Lego store guy and Balloon cart.

I have a bad habit of opening everything right away. I make a horrible collector. The only two polybags i still have unopened are the Lego store guy and Balloon cart.
I hear ya, most of the polybags I get I open right away except for my chrome Darth Vader and Iron Patriot.

Ryuuroden

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat, I have 4 extra VW T1 Camper Van polybags unopened........sweet mother of god, I can finance more LEGO.

ghostmind

I generally get two of every polybag I want - one to open and build, and one to put away in storage for a time when I will theoretically sell it (or perhaps give it away). There are a few polys that I go crazy on - such as the VW Camper Van, which I acquired 7 of, though I am now down to about 3 of them remaining sealed without having sold any.

I rarely ever buy multiple boxed sets, so this multiple poly thing is an oddity for me. Some of it is because I know it is a limited promo item, and as long as I spend enough at S@H or the LEGO store, then technically I am getting the polys for "free". LOL.

I did a bricklink shop yesterday and hovered up some of the superhero minifigs I don't have yet. Beetle, poison ivy, scarecrow. I did have Harley Quinn in my basket but it went when I got to the till. I also picked up the gingerbread man (he was only £2.40) and the yeti(only £1.30). Also while I was going through the persons store I noticed that they had a mini Sopwith Camel. I bought the big version last month and didn't know there was a polybag. I was quite happy with that find.

I think more than any set I missed out on I'm angriest about the Dino stuff. I am so pissed, and they will probably never ever use those molds again.

Ryuuroden

Just built Kingdoms Joust. First castle set since my childhood. It is very cute. Makes me hope they either do a microscale line of real life castles in the architecture line or more medieval sets that are advanced like what you see moc builders do that have the modular level of detail. I would totally go all in if lego expanded their modular line to other era's like medieval Europe and shogunate Japan during the times of Nobunaga and Hideyoshi

This was also the last of my backstock sets outside of Isengard, 2 winter village sets, and polybags. Sooo, I will start on Isengard tonight, or finish off my custom grand emporium that I took a break from for 2 years. Ordered the final pieces for it with the stuff for Helms Deep. Maybe ill do both.

Top Bottom