• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

Take with a grain of salt. No idea who the poster is so credibility is low with me. Anyway, I'll be grabbing 1 or 2 day one. If the run truly will be limited, the green neo-classic spacemen will have a high resell value until they make more for some other set. Also, the mech is a walking awesome grey parts pack.

"This is currently a single production run - I'm not sure of the figures - but if you see it and you want it then buy it, at the moment when it's gone it's gone for good. Don't be disappointed. (Not trying to do a hard sell here, this is currently the plan!)"

http://www.reddit.com/r/lego/comments/29tas5/lego_ideas_exosuit_finally_revealed/ciojmkn

EDIT:
From comments by thebrickblogger admin in this article, http://thebrickblogger.com/2014/07/lego-exo-suit-set-revealed/

"Yep, green spaceguys (well, one is actually a girl). Never before seen! I was reading yesterday on Reddit that Mark Stafford basically had three choices for the spaceguys color based on LEGO’s present color production: black, which blended in too much with the mech, blue to match Benny, but that was too obvious, and green, which was never done before. Peter Reid really like the idea of green, so they went with that choice. What I was reading in all LEGO forums is that people are absolutely crazy happy about this!"

neonglow

Take with a grain of salt. No idea who the poster is so credibility is low with me. Anyway, I'll be grabbing 1 or 2 day one. If the run truly will be limited, the green neo-classic spacemen will have a high resell value until they make more for some other set. Also, the mech is a walking awesome grey parts pack.

"This is currently a single production run - I'm not sure of the figures - but if you see it and you want it then buy it, at the moment when it's gone it's gone for good. Don't be disappointed. (Not trying to do a hard sell here, this is currently the plan!)"

http://www.reddit.com/r/lego/comments/29tas5/lego_ideas_exosuit_finally_revealed/ciojmkn

EDIT:
From comments by thebrickblogger admin in this article, http://thebrickblogger.com/2014/07/lego-exo-suit-set-revealed/

"Yep, green spaceguys (well, one is actually a girl). Never before seen! I was reading yesterday on Reddit that Mark Stafford basically had three choices for the spaceguys color based on LEGO’s present color production: black, which blended in too much with the mech, blue to match Benny, but that was too obvious, and green, which was never done before. Peter Reid really like the idea of green, so they went with that choice. What I was reading in all LEGO forums is that people are absolutely crazy happy about this!"

Mark Stafford posts every now and then on Reddit usually when people are talking about sets he created.

wetwired

EDIT:

Strange considering that's completely opposite to what Tim Courtney has said previously, I think it was an interview I saw him mention that in future Ideas sets will have more runs after someone asked on the availability of the curiosity rover.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Im going to be biting pretty early regardless I think.

Long before shortage rumours I was planning a preorder/day one type thing.

jpatez34

Neo Member
Just bought and finished building Ecto 1.
Brent the finished article is awesome, congratulations yet again in getting this set released.
I just love how the proton packs are built and the individual name tags for the mini-figs are ingenius. As for the car.... perfection! Nothing else to say.

Well done!

Ravek

Banned
Does anyone have a large collection of the Power Miners line? If so, how did you feel about them?

I was looking up the instructions for Magma Mech, and while doing so, I saw a lot of cool PM sets. Just wondering if they were as interesting as they appear.

Been chipping away at a Blacktron ship MOC for a few weeks. Just a bit here and there, but I just hit a wall and can't really keep going with it.

I started by designing the wings. I wanted something menacing but with some hidden features. I also wanted something with off angles for the wings, much like an X-Wing, but permanently in the X.

I made four of the wings so far, and made a basic frame for the body of the ship to build around. But I just lost it trying to make ends for the wings and the bottoms of them.

The "bone" structure for the wings. I was using the weird angled pieces that came in a Star Wars set to get the angle and the have 16stud long bricks attached to each side with technic pins. Then to add bricks on top of the main structure...

Top of a wing.

Back of a wing. Showing the engines.

Underside of a wing. I was trying to get a good look to add more support at the bottom and make it look good, but kept hitting roadblocks because of the engines on the back.

Front of a wing when in normal mode.

The front of each wing flips down for a Death Blossom inspired gun array. I am sure some of you know the reference.

The basic frame for the ship body. It would allow me to put the wings on at angles and get SNOT going in all directions for support.

How the wingspan should look. Ignore the mess on the floor.

I will shelve it for a bit until I get an idea for the ends of the wings. I plan on having some old yellow tubing go from the wings to the main body, and then use an old school yellow space windshield for the cockpick area. Again, rough ideas in my head, but pulling it off is baffling me at the moment. Best to just walk away for a bit. Work on other things and revisit it eventually.

Ainaurdur

Been chipping away at a Blacktron ship MOC for a few weeks. Just a bit here and there, but I just hit a wall and can't really keep going with it.

I will shelve it for a bit until I get an idea for the ends of the wings. I plan on having some old yellow tubing go from the wings to the main body, and then use an old school yellow space windshield for the cockpick area. Again, rough ideas in my head, but pulling it off is baffling me at the moment. Best to just walk away for a bit. Work on other things and revisit it eventually.

Great job on what you have so far, Bone! Hope the ideas come rushing back in sooner rather than later.

Great job on what you have so far, Bone! Hope the ideas come rushing back in sooner rather than later.

Agreed.

It looks pretty legit thus far.

Thanks. I think having the huge mess of parts on the table I kept experimenting with kept putting up road blocks. I just cleared it off and put everything away to give a clean slate. I am going to move onto other stuff for now until I get the brain back for the ship.

And cleaning up the mess felt good. I have so much LEGO crap around the apartment. Boxes from sets throughout the year, and random tubs of parts on tables from building anywhere I sit. I think my wife appreciates cleaning up the crap too.

Maybe some time disassembling more stuff will clear my head and also give me more ideas.

Does anyone have a large collection of the Power Miners line? If so, how did you feel about them?

I was looking up the instructions for Magma Mech, and while doing so, I saw a lot of cool PM sets. Just wondering if they were as interesting as they appear.

I loved the first two waves of sets when they were that nuclear green and orange but after that it got kinda weird. I still have a few sets laying around, oh and them spinning drills made everything so good.

There's no secret thing to LEGO VIP spending, is there? Just stocking up those points towards rewards, right? I don't want to feel some bizarre phantom guilt over buying the expensive sets from Barnes and Noble with a 20% off coupon. >_>

So I just created a seller page on Bricklink and put some mini figs and a LoTR Eagle up for sale. How deep into Lego am I now?

edit: For those that use bricklink to sell items. I'm only selling like a handful of mini figs to mainly get some parts of bricklink to build a proper Iron Man armory. Do I have to be all proper business like and include invoices and such with each mini fig i sell?

It's probably good for your own record keeping and tax purpose. Few times I got from Bricklink the seller always included some type of parts list of what I order and receipt.

Ecto-1 and the DeLorean are both at a Limit of 5, and the Minecraft set has a limit of 2 right now.
There have been other sets that get limits placed on them as well over the years. I'm not sure if S@H keeps track of all recent orders and won't let you make multiple orders, or if it's just the limit per order, and then you could make 2 orders of 5 sets each, for example. I have never had a reason to find out.

I'm guessing the initial limit for the Exo-Suit may be 3-5.

The S@H site had a limit of 5 on the Ecto-1. But my local store has a strict limit of 1 Ecto-1 per household (not sure how they are enforcing this, like the Simpsons house). They claim they can't keep them in stock.

So my assumption is 1 per household on the Exo-Suit at the store. S@H may be different.

That said, still going to try for two. My wife temporarily doesn't live with me. LOL.

There's no secret thing to LEGO VIP spending, is there? Just stocking up those points towards rewards, right? I don't want to feel some bizarre phantom guilt over buying the expensive sets from Barnes and Noble with a 20% off coupon. >_>

20% off is a bigger discount than most places. I usually try to just get exclusives from LEGO and regular sets from other places with coupons or sales.

Ainaurdur

20% off is a bigger discount than most places. I usually try to just get exclusives from LEGO and regular sets from other places with coupons or sales.
This is basically how I do it. The VIP points only equal a 5% credit/savings to use on a future purchase. Definitely nice for exclusives or sets that might not be cheaper anywhere else though.

This is basically how I do it. The VIP points only equal a 5% credit/savings to use on a future purchase. Definitely nice for exclusives or sets that might not be cheaper anywhere else though.

Or when there is double VIP, it is 10% back. I pray they do triple VIP again this year.

wetwired

Just bought and finished building Ecto 1.
Brent the finished article is awesome, congratulations yet again in getting this set released.
I just love how the proton packs are built and the individual name tags for the mini-figs are ingenius. As for the car.... perfection! Nothing else to say.

Well done!

ghostmind

Or when there is double VIP, it is 10% back. I pray they do triple VIP again this year.

As do I...

BwwIiD0.jpg

Power Miners was during my Dark Age so I'm not very familiar with it, but I just looked at a couple sets on BrickLink and they seem to sell for dirt cheap despite (IMO) looking really cool. Did the theme just completely bomb and it doesn't have cool Dinos to rely on to jack up after market prices? Someone a few posts ago mentioned it got like three waves, kinda crazy. Big power driller set with 220+ pieces for like $14. The bad guy rock dude figs look super cool. Gotta get a better look at 'em! (On my phone)

Thank you, Wetwired. It looks like you pulled off the windows the in a similar way, but are yours attached the same (The little wrench pieces holding the 1x2 plate with arm on it) ?

The whole thing you designed is so awesome.

Ravek

Banned
Can someone explain to me how BrinkLink works? I see a Wolverines Chopper Showndown set for almost $11, but it says the set is incomplete. How can I tell what is exactly incomplete about it? Or there no pics other than the official LEGO pictures?

Zerojul

Can someone explain to me how BrinkLink works? I see a Wolverines Chopper Showndown set for almost $11, but it says the set is incomplete. How can I tell what is exactly incomplete about it? Or there no pics other than the official LEGO pictures?
Just send a message to the seller asking him for further details. Most of the time the only pics you see on Bricklink are the default ones for the item in the Bricklink database.
In that particular case though, there's a good chance that it's only the chopper, and the bike if you're lucky, but no minifigs. This set's value has gone through the roof lately and $11 is less than the value of the Deadpool minifig alone.

Ainaurdur

Looking at these search results...
You have the standard image, then the Condition, and then Description.
It is up to the seller to accurately describe here what is incomplete about the set. In this case, the set that is under $11 says it is missing the minifigures and accessories. The next listing I see below that, located in Indonesia, the seller neglected to say what is incomplete about it. In that case, you'd have to try to communicate with the seller for more details before placing an order.

I actually just placed my first Bricklink order this morning, for the Attack of the Wargs set, waiting for the transaction email from the seller now. Hopefully I will be getting this new sealed set + shipping for under the original msrp.

Power Miners was during my Dark Age so I'm not very familiar with it, but I just looked at a couple sets on BrickLink and they seem to sell for dirt cheap despite (IMO) looking really cool. Did the theme just completely bomb and it doesn't have cool Dinos to rely on to jack up after market prices? Someone a few posts ago mentioned it got like three waves, kinda crazy. Big power driller set with 220+ pieces for like $14. The bad guy rock dude figs look super cool. Gotta get a better look at 'em! (On my phone)

I'd also like someone that owns this theme or some sets at least to chime in here.... if they go that cheap i might be interested in grabbing some as well...

edit: eh after checking up on it, it looks like i'll pass after all... mainly vehicles with a lot of big pieces that barely look like Lego, so even though the monsters are pretty cool, i'll pass and stick to Mixels instead for my stubby monster fix ;)

Found this Lego sale ad on craigslist. Not the Kragle!!

"Selling 3 lego pieces. With manuals. As is. Might be missing a piece or 2. New would cost 700 dollars. The big Star Wars walker my husband super glued together. You must come pick up. Text only don't call. 300 cash only."

Experien

Any idea how long that Shellraiser will stay on LEGO S@H site? It doesn't look like the best build but it would probably be a great place to start to build my own Turtle van.

neonglow

Any idea how long that Shellraiser will stay on LEGO S@H site? It doesn't look like the best build but it would probably be a great place to start to build my own Turtle van.

It's been clearanced a couple times at retailers so I think it's whatever they have on the warehouse. Hard to find the first wave at many retail stores these days besides TRU.

I'd also like someone that owns this theme or some sets at least to chime in here.... if they go that cheap i might be interested in grabbing some as well...

edit: eh after checking up on it, it looks like i'll pass after all... mainly vehicles with a lot of big pieces that barely look like Lego, so even though the monsters are pretty cool, i'll pass and stick to Mixels instead for my stubby monster fix ;)
I think I would buy the main drilling tank thing, which I think is around $15-20, and then I'd just buy all the little rock and lava dudes by themselves. I mean some of the sets look properly bad ass but because they're these tanks with gnarly drills and wheels it looks like the majority of the sets are flipping HUGE. Besides all you really need to burrow into the earth is one giant drill tank. Makes it that much more tense when the creatures attack!

Ponn

Banned
It's probably good for your own record keeping and tax purpose. Few times I got from Bricklink the seller always included some type of parts list of what I order and receipt.

Thanks for advice. I mean, I literally only have a couple figs up, my extra Mouth of Sauron and King Aragorn and a sealed polybag Lego Store guy they were giving away randomly with orders. Im not sure its even worth dealing with tax filing. If they sell I will include a print out of what fig and price I guess.

I don't think I saw anyone post anything official about ExoSuit yet but Brickshow put up what they are claiming the official specs last night on it. They said Aug. 1st, $34.99 and 321 pieces. I'm seriously considering getting 2 of them now BUT I still have to pick up a 2nd Ecto-1 for a christmas present so i'm not sure. They also reiterated the one production run of 10k. That would be the main reason I would get two and that kind of makes me feel slimy, I would rather everyone who wants one gets one.

I have Lake Town Chase being delivered tomorrow, will go in backlog pile and hoping for that rumor of Hobbit wave 3 set that combines with it to come true. I was thinking about the GoTG Knowhere escape set. How blasphemous would it be to get a set, just take out the figs and not even build the set?

I put the $20 GoTG set together. Quick review, ship is kinda cool. Like what they are doing with the wings but as far as displaying it makes it really hard to do anything with it. Figs are meh, you get the better Nova (I know the difference just sayin) in the Daily Bugle set and you get Starlord in the Milano which everyone should be buying anyways. If you are a GoTG fan go ahead and get it but I wouldn't make it a priority.

Ravek

Banned
Thanks for advice. I mean, I literally only have a couple figs up, my extra Mouth of Sauron and King Aragorn and a sealed polybag Lego Store guy they were giving away randomly with orders. Im not sure its even worth dealing with tax filing. If they sell I will include a print out of what fig and price I guess.

I don't think I saw anyone post anything official about ExoSuit yet but Brickshow put up what they are claiming the official specs last night on it. They said Aug. 1st, $34.99 and 321 pieces. I'm seriously considering getting 2 of them now BUT I still have to pick up a 2nd Ecto-1 for a christmas present so i'm not sure. They also reiterated the one production run of 10k. That would be the main reason I would get two and that kind of makes me feel slimy, I would rather everyone who wants one gets one.

I have Lake Town Chase being delivered tomorrow, will go in backlog pile and hoping for that rumor of Hobbit wave 3 set that combines with it to come true. I was thinking about the GoTG Knowhere escape set. How blasphemous would it be to get a set, just take out the figs and not even build the set?

I put the $20 GoTG set together. Quick review, ship is kinda cool. Like what they are doing with the wings but as far as displaying it makes it really hard to do anything with it. Figs are meh, you get the better Nova (I know the difference just sayin) in the Daily Bugle set and you get Starlord in the Milano which everyone should be buying anyways. If you are a GoTG fan go ahead and get it but I wouldn't make it a priority.

10k?! That better be a fucking joke.

If it's really 10K worldwide that green space guy is gonna be worth some serious money providing they don't release him in some future sets anytime soon

Rootbeer

Banned
Only 10k... all the MORE reason to buy 2 if you ask me. If the production run sells out that fast they'll have to make more.

Wasn't the first Minecraft set also supposed to be limited at first? But the popularity kinda forced their hand and now look at all the Minecraft stuff coming out.

neonglow

Only 10k... all the MORE reason to buy 2 if you ask me. If the production run sells out that fast they'll have to make more.

Wasn't the first Minecraft set also supposed to be limited at first? But the popularity kinda forced their hand and now look at all the Minecraft stuff coming out.

I wonder what went wrong with the Mars Rover. It did have 2 production runs though.

What were the #'s on the other Cuusoo/LEGO Ideas sets?

10k for the ExoSuit? You can't possibly mean Ecto-1.

One should not feel slimy buying a few sets. If one buys 10 or more for the sole purpose of selling 9 or all of them, then maybe.

Just built Infearno and noticed all the new silver metal bowed pieces have lines down the middle lengthwise on the smooth surfaces. They look like cracks but I pressed on them and it's not broken, at least not yet. The lines are all slightly different and not exactly in the middle, so doesn't look like it's supposed to be there.

All of these pieces have it.

7ScoFoG.jpg

1WVvvOE.jpg

I'm trying to take a photo that shows it clearly but can't get the lighting right. Will try during daylight.

Zerojul

They also reiterated the one production run of 10k. That would be the main reason I would get two and that kind of makes me feel slimy, I would rather everyone who wants one gets one.
10k seems a very small run. I mean the thing already got 10k backers on cuusoo... I know it's not 1 vote = 1 buy but still...
Anyway to know how many Ecto-1 have been produced so far ?

I know I will need to get the Starlord from this set, clever Lego had to do a different print in this one to make me buy it :)
Agreed on Nova. Truth is I don't know who the guy in the Daily Bugle set is supposed to be but in my mind he's Richard f$*#ing Rider so you can't get any better than that.

wetwired

I'm getting more and more sceptical of this "limited" run and 10k only talk. It hardly seems worth the effort on LEGOs side.

I'll preface this with something I heard, I was told by someone (not from LEGO but a specialist retailer) that the POTC ship from a few years back, that cost USD$100 at retail cost LEGO to make, USD$12.

So that's 12% costs, so lets take the retailers 30% off of that as well...

$100 - $12 - $30 = $58

So that (if true) means Lego makes $58 per set of that ship sold. Essentially 58%.

If that carried across to the exosuit, at $35 that's $20.30

$20.30 x 10k = $203,000

That might sound like a lot but for a company like LEGO that's nothing and doesn't seem like it's worth the effort of even putting it into manufacturing to me.

I can't reveal how many Ecto-1s are expected to be sold (even if I could the figures they gave me were vague ranges) but 10k is bugger all in comparison

What I really like about the Mech is how unlike LEGO it is.
It's something people have been building with LEGO since forever but not something I ever expected to see in an official set, unlike all the other LEGO ideas sets so far.

Top Bottom