• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

theaface

^ Looks wonderful. Can't wait to get it.

There's 20% discount for Tesco staff this week, so I couldn't help myself and ordered the Ecto-1 and Architect Eiffel Tower. The LEGO thirst is strong!

ghostmind

Leaning toward getting 3 Exo-Suits now. Cannot deny Classic Space!

Doing my annual vacation at the moment, but no big vacation haul this time, mainly because I have already purchased most of the sets that I am interested in currently. Going to let some things slide, such as Ultra Agents, so that I can pick them up on discount for my 2015 summer vacation haul.

Where are we getting this 10K figure from? That seems crazy small for worldwide distribution...

Regardless, I definitely want one. But I'm going to try for two.

Ponn

Banned
The box art does look a bit off.

Have we had dark grey barrels before?

Edit: the 10k number comes from the Brick Show apparently and Brothers Brick is saying "highly limited supply".

Edit 2: LEGO EXO SUIT Pictures, Price, RELEASE DATE + More: http://youtu.be/sY1bub7HOrE

He discusses the 10k number around the 1:08 mark.

Yea, seemed pretty sure of it and regardless if you like them or not i think they got pretty good sources. I feel the ultimate take away from this is if you want one be up at midnight to order one on August 1st. And just think, everyone will be up anyways seeing a midnight premiere of Guardians of the Galaxy so wins all around.

If I miss out on one because of everyone buying multiples I'm just gonna be a little upset...

Also I don't see what's wrong with the barrel arms like everyone else, they look fine to me and I don't immediately see the barrels as barrels either. *shrugs* Assuming it's just an axle or lightsaber blade or something running through it you could replace the barrel with a pair of 2x2 round bricks which have an axle hole through them.

If I miss out on one because of everyone buying multiples I'm just gonna be a little upset...

Also I don't see what's wrong with the barrel arms like everyone else, they look fine to me and I don't immediately see the barrels as barrels either. *shrugs* Assuming it's just an axle or lightsaber blade or something running through it you could replace the barrel with a pair of 2x2 round bricks which have an axle hole through them.

Yeah, it looks fine to me. I didn't even know they were barrels until people in this thread said they were. I just see them as part of the arm. Like a motor thing that makes the hands spin or something.

iuuk

So, end of the Haunted House enigma; it was an error and they did charge my credit card twice (something I kind of expected but hoped didn't happen). I can return the second set and keep my extra spaceman and Chima flyer for the trouble.
Mr spaceman is by far one of the most fun sets to have two of, so I'm happy with that. Might have to buy a second exo-suit to go with him now.

10K cannot be right.

It needed 10K votes to get made. So they made one for every voter but nobody else in the world gets one? Or people who didn't know about the vote see it and buy one making the voters SOL?

That's impossible. That's like doing a Kickstarter for a product that ONLY the backers get.

Experien

10K cannot be right.

It needed 10K votes to get made. So they made one for every voter but nobody else in the world gets one? Or people who didn't know about the vote see it and buy one making the voters SOL?

That's impossible. That's like doing a Kickstarter for a product that ONLY the backers get.

That's marketing for you? Tell a "reputable" reviewer small numbers to get mass hype generated.

If this is true (about the 10k), I imagine the only reason is so all the stock will be gone when Research Institute comes out. That feels like a bigger focus for them at this moment.

Say 10k to get everyone in a tizzy. Speculators buy stores out because they might make money on it later. Then LEGO releases more and more just to mess with the speculators.

10K cannot be right.

I agree, 10k does seem ridiculously small. Now, if they did that for the first production run with high possibility of additional production runs, that's a different story.

Some interesting tidbits from Mark Stafford (set designer) on Exosuit from Reddit summarized here:

http://www.toysnbricks.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=10974#p86334

"Sorry, I stuck as close as I could. Pete's original is fragile as hell. built with parts that don't exist anymore, are only single stud connections being asked to carry too much weight or are connected in 'illegal' ways and it requires some skill to pose.

This one had to be stable and this necessitated many changes, my aim was to keep as much greebling as possible while maintaining the feel, look and scale of the original."

EDIT:

OK, I did not realize that Lego_Nabii is Mark Stafford. So credibility on this quote from Reddit I posted the other day is high now to me.

"This is currently a single production run - I'm not sure of the figures - but if you see it and you want it then buy it, at the moment when it's gone it's gone for good. Don't be disappointed. (Not trying to do a hard sell here, this is currently the plan!)"

My guess is speculators and AFOLs/TFOLs are gonna storm LEGO stores like shoppers on Black Friday. I'm upping my initial purchase to 2-3 from 1-2. I do expect another run, but I will not hold my breath after the Mars Curiousity incident where demand was severely underestimated.

I expect eBay prices to be double retail at least once stock is depleted (pure speculation on my part).

Key words though: "This is currently a single production run" which means possibly more runs. I will buy 2-3 more after my initial purchase of 2-3 if they do more runs and have them in stock during double points this fall.

theaface

So almost all of my wedding favour pieces have arrived, barring the Pick-a-Brick stuff which is en route. I'm thoroughly convinced it's going to be a really great touch on the big day.

One Bricklink seller had a problem with a few small parts and with a couple of quick email exchanges, it was all sorted. During the conversation I explained what all the legs, torsos and hair pieces were for.

I was very surprised and delighted when the last part of the order came through today with a little note about the wedding and a couple of Lego wedding rings included free of charge. Such a nice gesture, and they'll actually really help in making a couple of great photos on the day. :D

That's marketing for you? Tell a "reputable" reviewer small numbers to get mass hype generated.

If this is true (about the 10k), I imagine the only reason is so all the stock will be gone when Research Institute comes out. That feels like a bigger focus for them at this moment.
Eh, I dunno about that at all. There was a huge build-up in hype before the reveal, multiple teasers, they even animated an entire short film for it. I agree with the marketing perspective though.

Say 10k to get everyone in a tizzy. Speculators buy stores out because they might make money on it later. Then LEGO releases more and more just to mess with the speculators.

I could see that being the case. Say there's 10K but it's actually like 50K just so people buy as many as possible.

Ponn

Banned

I agree that sounds like a tactic to be used and would actually work out for the people that just want the set. Unfortunately being a collector that got burned in other hobbies and the whole Mars Rover thing im going to be safe and order at least one first thing on the 1st. If this is a Lego store exclusive there is no upside for waiting to get it.

I agree that sounds like a tactic to be used and would actually work out for the people that just want the set. Unfortunately being a collector that got burned in other hobbies and the whole Mars Rover thing im going to be safe and order at least one first thing on the 1st. If this is a Lego store exclusive there is no upside for waiting to get it.

Agreed. There is no certain thing when it comes to "collectibles".
It would be silly for LEGO not to produce more if the demand is there, but there's a chance AFOLs and TFOL's which are the primary demographic for this won't be enough demand. Minecraft had a HUGE kid demand.

Also, LEGO has to fit additional productions runs into their schedule so if it can't be fit, I can see LEGO not making more. Although if demand is high enough maybe they may do sets along the neo-classic theme in the future (one can hope).

Another quote from the link I posted earlier:

"[–]404_11 2 points 17 hours ago

Ho my, well, if the demand is ultra-mega-super-high (like the minecraft one), will it be produced again for another round?

please say yes, please say yes, please say yes....

[–]Lego_Nabii 2 points 23 hours ago

At the moment the plan is for a single run. Don't dawdle on this one! (sorry.)"

Ponn

Banned
Do we know if it'll be online-only yet, or will we get it in stores too?

HAHA...this is a question I would be posing to you. If this is in stores I would imagine you would have to be there first thing when doors open. People like Brickshow will be there buying them all up AND ordering their quota online as well.

I'm going to get 2 if my fundage allows me, one for display and one for parts.

On another note, I picked up the $5 heli/plane/hovercraft creator set; man, it is cool what can be done with so few pieces.

I'm going to get 2 if my fundage allows me, one for display and one for parts.

On another note, I picked up the $5 heli/plane/hovercraft creator set; man, it is cool what can be done with so few pieces.

I have fundage and a LEGO itch I need to scratch. Somehow that doesn't sound like something good.

So almost all of my wedding favour pieces have arrived, barring the Pick-a-Brick stuff which is en route. I'm thoroughly convinced it's going to be a really great touch on the big day.

One Bricklink seller had a problem with a few small parts and with a couple of quick email exchanges, it was all sorted. During the conversation I explained what all the legs, torsos and hair pieces were for.

I was very surprised and delighted when the last part of the order came through today with a little note about the wedding and a couple of Lego wedding rings included free of charge. Such a nice gesture, and they'll actually really help in making a couple of great photos on the day. :D

I hope you have a great day. I would love to see some pics of the Lego things your pitting together. I think my girlfriend may be something like that.

theaface

I hope you have a great day. I would love to see some pics of the Lego things your pitting together. I think my girlfriend may be something like that.

Thanks mate and will do. Just waiting on heads, hair and plinths from PAB, which should be any day now, then I'll mock up a few of the many many scenarios!

McFarlane Toys getting into the brick biz.

McFdaryl1_large.jpg

McFdaryl2_large.jpg

McFprison4_large.jpg

McFgovfloor_large.jpg

From this review it shows whats inside the barrel arms so I dont think you can just easily swap them out with other things. Someone will still probably come up with a quick solution for people who dislike the barrels though.

14604282421_bb6da26531.jpg

Speaking of cheap plastic, there was a small pirates of the Caribbean megablocks set mixed in with a Craigslist lot I picked up today. Man is it garbage. The minifigs are laughable. So glad they went with lego for later films.

Rootbeer

Banned
I love the look of the McFarlane stuff, glad they are doing something totally aesthetically different from LEGO.

When I look at these builds though they barely look brick-built... I really want to see what the pieces look like on their own and what the build process looks like. Yeah there is one shot of the bricks but i need to see the buildings, figures, etc., in pieces

If it truly is all mostly bricks and not just a bunch of big, static chunks that snap together then I'm fairly impressed and I can see a future for this line.

Also... I can see them picking up Game of Thrones. I know, I know... as a LEGO fan you want to see every awesome brand in LEGO... but I'd be curious to see what McFarlane could do with a great fantasy brand like GoT in this style.

This could be huge for McFarlane because brick licenses are usually separate from action figure/statue/etc. licenses so it opens the doors to them getting more stuff. For example GoT figures are currently being done by Funko but Funko doesn't do bricks... so yeah

R-User!

10K cannot be right.

I heard that it may be only 100,000... Which seems more reasonable for a single production run.

LEGO satisfies demand and doesn't get stuck discounting something to move product after the initial wave of hype dies down.

But this is just something I heard third or fourth hand.

Ponn

Banned
I love the look of the McFarlane stuff, glad they are doing something totally aesthetically different from LEGO.

When I look at these builds though they barely look brick-built... I really want to see what the pieces look like on their own and what the build process looks like. Yeah there is one shot of the bricks but i need to see the buildings, figures, etc., in pieces

If it truly is all mostly bricks and not just a bunch of big, static chunks that snap together then I'm fairly impressed and I can see a future for this line.

Also... I can see them picking up Game of Thrones. I know, I know... as a LEGO fan you want to see every awesome brand in LEGO... but I'd be curious to see what McFarlane could do with a great fantasy brand like GoT in this style.

This could be huge for McFarlane because brick licenses are usually separate from action figure/statue/etc. licenses so it opens the doors to them getting more stuff. For example GoT figures are currently being done by Funko but Funko doesn't do bricks... so yeah

I'd be afraid of them doing a LoTR with GoT. One awesome set like the Wall or something and then, oh look another wall. Oh look wave 2 and yay...a grey wall. And then we get something off the wall and not iconic like the wolf shaped bread or something.

Rootbeer

Banned
I'd be afraid of them doing a LoTR with GoT. One awesome set like the Wall or something and then, oh look another wall. Oh look wave 2 and yay...a grey wall. And then we get something off the wall and not iconic like the wolf shaped bread or something.

It's sad to see how the LotR line degenerated to that, so yeah it's something they need to be very mindful of.

I'm confident that there are tons of great set ideas they can do to avoid falling into that, but it's going to require the right creativity on their design end. Rather they can deliver on that, guess we'll see.

Top Bottom