• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

For the ECTO-1, does anyone feel like its worth $50? I think thats whats holding me back from getting it. Im not a huge Ghostbusters fan but I can see that the set and minifigs are pretty cool.

Basically, I'm on the fence.

I don't feel like it's worth $50, more like $60! j/k It's slightly pricey probably due to licensing, better packaging, smaller run, etc. You can wait and see if it ever goes down in price like the Back to Future set on Amazon (Amazon LEGO 21103 The DeLorean Time Machine Building Set). I will buy 1-2 more if that ever happens. I'm waiting for double points to get a 2nd one.

Some dude walked up and grabbed both of them. I looked in his cart and he had 3 more. I guess he decided to come back for the last 2!

I chose to grab some board game and video game deals instead. Much cheaper too! 3 board games and 4 video games for less than $50.

LEGO is staying true to the original release date. LEGO had to send the product to other retailers so they could prepare for the original release date, but the other retailers dont care about the date since there is no clause saying they cant sell them until then. So the other places put the product out because there will be no consequences.

But where can you even find the release date?

Brickset was recently downgraded (IMO) and now only says "Availability: Retail" the hell does that even mean, Brickset? They used to show release dates. And of course the official Lego shop has no record of these sets yet.

ghostmind

Some dude walked up and grabbed both of them. I looked in his cart and he had 3 more. I guess he decided to come back for the last 2!

I chose to grab some board game and video game deals instead. Much cheaper too! 3 board games and 4 video games for less than $50.

Meh - $80 is ok, but not that great of a deal. Now, you see it for $60 then you should grab one. It is a great set that has been refined from the previous versions.

ghostmind

But where can you even find the release date?

Brickset was recently downgraded (IMO) and now only says "Availability: Retail" the hell does that even mean, Brickset? They used to show release dates. And of course the official Lego shop has no record of these sets yet.

Toy Fair was where the August release date was originally mentioned. That's only for North America though, as Europe tends to get Star Wars theme sets 2 or 3 months ahead of that. I am curious whether that will continue once Episode 7 sets start rolling out though.

Europe gets the summer sets a lot earlier than the US, I've had the new AT-AT, Star Destroyer and Snowspeeder for a while now.

How is this compared to the UCS/motorized one? It's the same piece count, and it looks to be about the same scale and whatnot, but I'm not entirely sure as I've not seen any direct comparisons. Do you have any familiarity with the motorized one?

Took advantage of Price Match at Toys R Us. Cashier couldn't believe how much they over charge for the same sets.

3XXgS2w.jpg

Eklipsis

How does that work?
Do you need an ad that states the other stores price? Can it be a stores online price?
I avoid TRU for the simple fact that all of their prices are too high

How does that work?
Do you need an ad that states the other stores price? Can it be a stores online price?
I avoid TRU for the simple fact that all of their prices are too high

I just used Amazon, just as long as the price shown is straight from Amazon and not a Marketplace seller then they'll match it.

It was also a lot easier than Target price match.

Target's policy is much more cumbersome. You have to pay full price at the register, then take your goods and receipt to Customer Service and then they'll refund your money on the card you used.

R-User!

I just used Amazon, just as long as the price shown is straight from Amazon and not a Marketplace seller then they'll match it.

It was also a lot easier than Target price match.

Target's policy is much more cumbersome. You have to pay full price at the register, then take your goods and receipt to Customer Service and then they'll refund your money on the card you used.

That is a ridiculous deterrent... Unless their policy changed recently, I used to just take the item straight to customer service to buy it, and they would adjust BEFORE ringing it up. I've done this at least 10-15 times. Target you will not hold my money hostage for whatever reason.

That is a ridiculous deterrent... Unless their policy changed recently, I used to just take the item straight to customer service to buy it, and they would adjust BEFORE ringing it up. I've done this at least 10-15 times. Target you will not hold my money hostage for whatever reason.

I never thought of taking what I want off the shelf and going to Customer Service, only because there are those security scanners you'd have to go through again, so you'd inevitably set them off anyway.

R-User!

I never thought of taking what I want off the shelf and going to Customer Service, only because there are those security scanners you'd have to go through again, so you'd inevitably set them off anyway.

The only scanners are at the front doors of the Targets that I happen to frequent. If your Target has scanners that will trigger before you get to customer service, then that is a bit of a different scenario... I'm not sure I would want alarms going off if I had to get a price match... Perhaps you can walk through the checkstand to get to customer service and avoid the scanners? Where are the scanners precisely located at your local store?

The only scanners are at the front doors of the Targets that I happen to frequent. If your Target has scanners that will trigger before you get to customer service, then that is a bit of a different scenario... I'm not sure I would want alarms going off if I had to get a price match... Perhaps you can walk through the checkstand to get to customer service and avoid the scanners? Where are the scanners precisely located at your local store?

It's a weird lay out

Vv6S9nO.png

The skinny rectangles = security scanners
R = Registers

R-User!

It's a weird lay out

Vv6S9nO.png

The skinny rectangles = security scanners
R = Registers

I feel like the Colonol from MGS:
"It looks like you can approach the Customer Service desk by going North around the end of the Security Scanners."

"Go North around the Security Scanners, Snake Petey!"

"The discounts MUST be taken down wirhout alerting the Security Scanners Petey. This is a covert black-op. Don't expect any official support."

"THIS is your mission!"

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The architecture set is releasing officially in the UK at the end of July, but £150 for 1200 plain white/transparent bricks seems quite steep. Exclusive to lego stores and lego online store.

Also my local department store, which had a pretty nice lego section, just updated with a bunch of normally lego exclusives like R2D2, the modular cinema and the Sydney Opera House. So now I have temptation almost literally on my doorstep..

Ravek

Banned
The architecture set is releasing officially in the UK at the end of July, but £150 for 1200 plain white/transparent bricks seems quite steep. Exclusive to lego stores and lego online store.

Also my local department store, which had a pretty nice lego section, just updated with a bunch of normally lego exclusives like R2D2, the modular cinema and the Sydney Opera House. So now I have temptation almost literally on my doorstep..

That Sydney Opera House looks soooo good.
Anyone in GAF have it, with impressions if so?

ghostmind

The SDCC conference schedule for Thursday and Friday has been released, and so far no LEGO panels. They do have a booth though, around the center of the convention, and beside their competitor Mattel.

A friend of a friend who works for WB confirmed some upcoming Lego stuff but I don't know if I'm allowed to talk about it since I work for Lego now? I mean it's not like it's any kind of Lego memo that we got about upcoming sets, I didn't even hear from it from my coworkers, but since it's about unannounced sets I.. don't know if I want to take any chances?

I guess I'll just say people are gonna be really happy with what DC announces this year at SDCC. At least I think they're supposed to make the announcements at SDCC? Whenever the next line of DC Lego sets are announced.. people should be pleased.

Ponn

Banned
A friend of a friend who works for WB confirmed some upcoming Lego stuff but I don't know if I'm allowed to talk about it since I work for Lego now? I mean it's not like it's any kind of Lego memo that we got about upcoming sets, I didn't even hear from it from my coworkers, but since it's about unannounced sets I.. don't know if I want to take any chances?

I guess I'll just say people are gonna be really happy with what DC announces this year at SDCC. At least I think they're supposed to make the announcements at SDCC? Whenever the next line of DC Lego sets are announced.. people should be pleased.

Didn't we get them like really late, like NY Toyfair or something?

I'd be meh about UCS Tumbler but will take it. Now if you have info on a Green Lantern set you need to spill the beans.

Come on '66 Batmobile!!!!!!

Didn't we get them like really late, like NY Toyfair or something?

I was told they'd be announcing it at ComiCon but I guess I assumed they meant SDCC since it's in like two weeks. But maybe you're right? Or maybe they'll make an announcement or tease it but not actually show it till later? I found out last week when "the ink was still drying" on the licensing so maybe SDCC is too soon?

Green Lantern! (I hope). I also hope they are expanding like they have with Marvel. We've been getting tons of Marvel characters. The Hulk Lab Smash set was very pleasing with all those minifigs. DC has been Batman + character and some Superman.

You're teasing us good Sir 😜

Regarding knockoffs, this shows the quality differences. See if you can spot the differences. Mine are not as pronounced, but I see similar issues in difference areas of mine. Stuff a little kid probably wouldn't notice at all.

http://mybrickstore.blogspot.com/2014/03/fake-lego-hulk-both-purple-and-tan.html

Interesting on the Sheng Yuan version of Hulk big fig. It has a detachable head.
This one shows the print quality issues some may see (Falcon one)
http://mybrickstore.blogspot.com/2014/07/lego-superheroes-avengers-bootleg.html

After building both I can say that the Star Destroyer is a lot better, bigger and more impressive, more pieces, a lot more play features and it just looks awesome.

Good to hear, because I thought it would be my favourite. One of the best looking Star Wars ships from the movies.

The new Imperial Star Destroyer is so sexy. I'll never understand Lego's release methods. They are staggered beyond belief.

My local store won't be getting them until August and I can't find them anywhere online, whereas some people have no trouble finding them at their local retailers. What gives?

Where did you order it from?

How much is that Star Destroyer? Is it out in the States? How many pieces does it have? Thanks, and it looks awesome by the way!

I'm from Australia and I got my Star Wars sets off the Lego site. Seems weird to have them release these sets to some countries but not others.

Piece count is 1359 and it was $199 AUD and about $130 USD as far as I'm aware.

Meh. Never cared for DC stuff. Now, WB also owns The Hobbit/LotR. That would be much more interesting :D.

Green Lantern or Green Arrow figs would be about the only DC thing that would excite me.

Brain and body fried from work this week. I need to disassemble more stuff. Debating about adding Ewok Village to the collective or keeping it separate to display later. Whenever I take down Simpson's House, that is going into the collective though.

Been itching to start a Halloween diorama again, but I have months before that.

On a more positive note, things are looking better here after a rough few months. My wife has two interviews lined up in the next two weeks, so major life changes might come soon.

And birthday is in a few weeks, so hoping for money to get some sets. Depending on the money, debating between Sea Cow or getting GOTG Milano and SPACESHIP! among a few others.

Ponn

Banned
Brain and body fried from work this week. I need to disassemble more stuff. Debating about adding Ewok Village to the collective or keeping it separate to display later. Whenever I take down Simpson's House, that is going into the collective though.

Been itching to start a Halloween diorama again, but I have months before that.

On a more positive note, things are looking better here after a rough few months. My wife has two interviews lined up in the next two weeks, so major life changes might come soon.

And birthday is in a few weeks, so hoping for money to get some sets. Depending on the money, debating between Sea Cow or getting GOTG Milano and SPACESHIP! among a few others.

fLYoAYL.jpg

I think for Halloween this year I really want to make a Castlevania scene using Vampyre's Castle as a base. I'm trying to think of some cheaper sets that could go with the castle scheme and build it up besides buying another Vampyre Castle. Man I really should have bought a second one when they were being clearanced out.

That's a tough one, I feel like Lego Movie stuff may eventually hit a ceiling and then be clearanced out. GoTG may become a real hit after the movie comes out. I'm kinda hoping Sea Cow gets a deep BF discount during BrickFriday this year. Milano looks reaaaaaly nice next to Quinjet on my desk.

Ainaurdur

fLYoAYL.jpg

I think for Halloween this year I really want to make a Castlevania scene using Vampyre's Castle as a base. I'm trying to think of some cheaper sets that could go with the castle scheme and build it up besides buying another Vampyre Castle. Man I really should have bought a second one when they were being clearanced out.

I also need to figure out what to disassemble and put into my storage/sorting bins. I have these newer backlog sets that I want to start building, and my current display space is maxed out.
Thinking either the B-wing or one of my less favored Space Galaxy sets to make room for more LotR or another Space Galaxy set. Yes, possibly one SG for another SG. Might be better to clean off another surface I have considered using for display instead of disassembling.

I love the thought of a Castlevania MOC, you should definitely go for it, Ponn!

I am actually worried about LEGO Movie stuff not lasting long. That is why Sea Cow is calling.

As for Milano, it is the new Quinjet in my brain. I must have it. That and the regular Movie stuff like SPACESHIP! can be had for 30% off or so using coupons I have for Barnes and Noble. A store by home has them all, so no worries there.

As for Halloween diorama, I am debating about making a courtyard scene and surrounding grounds around Haunted House, or making a MOC spooky castle to compliment HH. Just a big, creepy, bloody, torture filled castle.

And of course the Ghostbusters will be there. Wetwired's Ecto-1 will have to be in every Halloween display from now on.

More SDCC news - there will be an exclusive signing of *something* at the LEGO booth. No further details at this time.

Any news if there is another Ninjago wave? At my local LEGO store, the "revived" waves aren't moving quite as fast as the Ninjago golden age before they "ended" the show.

ghostmind

Any news if there is another Ninjago wave? At my local LEGO store, the "revived" waves aren't moving quite as fast as the Ninjago golden age before they "ended" the show.

Apparently the cartoon series is continuing again next year, and there is also the upcoming Ninjago movie in September 2016. Personally, i think it would be a good idea to take a breather in releasing sets between now and the movie. We shall see...

Top Bottom