• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

ghostmind

FYI, the artist (who has drawn for LEGO. Magazine, as well as other material for the company), stated that his selection of characters is his personal preference alone,and does not reflect any future plans for LEGO.

Does anyone have these Toy Story bootlegs?

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/-/1931445982.html

Thoughts, if so?
Whoa, what the?! Were Woody's legs extra long on the official figure too?

Edit: just looked and yup, seems like they were. Wild! It looks like the Toy Story Lego line had a bunch of unique minifig sizes?

Also looking at all the sets, I really want the Pizza Planet truck and like ten of the green army men patrol packs. Argh.

Ponn

Banned
Hulk Lab Smash on Amazon for $40. Just got $50 in credit posted there. was eyeing a AWD Turtle sub but this has got my attention now.

Crazy.

Y'know, Disney's reationship with Lego kinda confuses me.

They've made Disney Princess, Jake the Pirate, Toy Story, Cars, Finding Nemo, Planes, and a generic "Disney" set of Duplo.

They made Disney Princess Friends sets, with movies ranging from Cinderella, to Little Mermaid, to Tangled, to Brave.

For Lego, though, we got Toy Story/TS3, and Cars 2. That's it, as far as I'm aware.

What's the deal? Why aren't there more Disney Lego? Why isn't it an Evergreen Theme, with a new set or two coinciding with Disney/Pixar releases? Where were my Wreck-It Ralph sets, with Felix and Vanellope minifigs and a Ralph BigFig? Where's Incredibles, or Monster's Inc/University sets?

Is it because, for the most part, the Disney movies tend to make better Friends sets due to princesses? I was thinking, it might be because of Pixar flicks not really lending themselves to kid-friendly sets (Ratatouille, Up, etc) but Wall-E, Incredibles, and Monster's would all make killer sets IMO.

I'm gonna be honest, I just looked up a couple Cars 2 sets and they look pretty decent for being based on Cars. I wouldn't mind some nice brick-built Planes stuff.

PS - I know there were PotC sets, but I'm talking Disney animated.

Edit: I mean, the latest Toy Story short had a character built entirely out of Lego in it. What the heck, man?

thumb640x360.jpg

Seems like even the director of TSoT agrees, seeing as he has a Lego Bunny and a Lego Wall-E up on Lego Ideas right now. :\

Zerojul

Seems like even the director of TSoT agrees, seeing as he has a Lego Bunny and a Lego Wall-E up on Lego Ideas right now. :\

This one ? : https://ideas.lego.com/projects/52042
I'd pay good money for this little guy. I think he's fantastic.
I would have paid good money for some Monsters, Inc. figs/sets too. Wreck-it Ralph and Indestructibles, ditto. I don't know, maybe some other toy maker has/had an exclusive deal for those ones or something :(

This one ? : https://ideas.lego.com/projects/52042
I'd pay good money for this little guy. I think he's fantastic.
I would have paid good money for some Monsters, Inc. figs/sets too. Wreck-it Ralph and Indestructibles, ditto. I don't know, maybe some other toy maker has/had an exclusive deal for those ones or something :(

Yep! He actually JUST updated it too with a revised version:

Angus MacLane is his name, he's BIG into the Lego scene.

DAT ROBIT 2.0 MY GOD

A Lego Wall-E?

DAY 0, sign me up!!!! how awesome if it were HUGE too...kinda lifesize (big as a modular?)

Knowing Lego though IF this were to go through, it'd probably be pretty small :(

Xater

Ok I just completed all 3 of the possible builds for the Lego Creator set 31011.

The boat is kinda lame to be honest:

The Helicopter is alright. Doesn't look to fancy but the mechanism to make the rotor work is cool.

The main build is awesome though. It looks niceand the rotor works. I also really like that you can open up the front to have a look at the "motor" and that the back canopy slides into place. Oh and the thing is pretty big, like 40cm wing span.

Overall I think this is a really good set. Good price, at least two good builds and you get a lot of cool parts.

ruxtpin

Banned
Anyone have some thoughts on the Sopwith? Was thinking about picking up the Mini and Sopwith together. I feel like it's been out a while and could possibly disappear soon?

Anyone have some thoughts on the Sopwith? Was thinking about picking up the Mini and Sopwith together. I feel like it's been out a while and could possibly disappear soon?

a hulking beast of a set, if you're into historic planes at all i guess it's a must have. Personally though i don't like it as much as i should though. It doesn't look too great from underneath and that's how i have it displayed. When looked at from an angle and from the top though it looks pretty good.

Can't comment on the build though, my wife built it start to finish.

ghostmind

LEGO SDCC press release:

SAN DIEGO, July 22, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- SAN DIEGO COMIC-CON -- LEGO Systems, Inc. today unveiled details of everything that contributes to its largest San Diego Comic-Con (SDCC) presence ever. The LEGO® booth will welcome show attendees with life-sized LEGO models, sneak peeks of 2015 LEGO building sets, photo-opps and content demos. Additionally, fans will have a chance to win limited edition minifigures each day and exclusive SDCC LEGO sets will be sold in the company's booth shop. The family-friendly booth will feature thousands of LEGO bricks for attendees to build and take home their own brick-based heroes. The LEGO excitement can be found at booth #2829 of the San Diego Convention Center, July 24-27.

"This is our fourteenth year at San Diego Comic-Con and each year we see stronger enthusiasm coming from a growing audience of fans of all ages," said Michael McNally, senior brand relations director, LEGO Systems, Inc. "We're thrilled to deliver a family friendly brand experience, punctuated by custom life-sized models, play opportunities, exclusives, collectibles and sneak peeks, that lets children and adult collectors celebrate their passion for properties and LEGO play together in one place."

LEGO Star Wars™
To commemorate the 15th anniversary of LEGO Star Wars, the company will unveil a show-stopping showcase of every LEGO Star Wars minifigure ever created – over 500 in total—that is sure to make fans drool. A remote-controlled LEGO Chopper life-sized model, based on the new Star Wars Rebels series, will roam the booth throughout the weekend. Other activities include the unveiling of a 2015 LEGO Star Wars set and a limited edition exclusive version of the LEGO Star Wars Ghost with a Chopper minifigure that will be on sale for show attendees beginning Thursday morning.

LEGO Super Heroes: DC Comics™
This year marks the 75th anniversary of BATMAN™, and LEGO Systems celebrates the milestone with a new life-sized model of the Batcycle™ from the Batman Classic TV Series, complete with sidecar, made entirely out of LEGO bricks. Two LEGO Super Heroes: DC Comics sets launching in 2015 will be unveiled, including an 1,800 piece Tumbler, and one of the company's exclusive minifigure raffle items will feature an iconic DC Comics character. Throughout the show, a limited number of exclusive Batman Classic TV Series Batmobile™ LEGO sets will be on sale.

LEGO Super Heroes: MARVEL
The new feature film Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy hits theaters August 1st and to honor the event and its newest film-inspired building sets, LEGO Systems will display a custom-built life-sized LEGO version of Groot and Rocket Raccoon. An SDCC exclusive LEGO set, Rocket Raccoon's Warbird, will be sold and an exclusive minifigure of The Collector from Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy will be up for grabs to lucky fans as part of a raffle.

LEGO THE HOBBIT™
In anticipation of this December's theatrical release of THE HOBBIT: The Battle of the Five Armies, a production of New Line Cinema and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Pictures (MGM), LEGO Systems will unveil one of the new LEGO THE HOBBIT sets that is slated to hit store shelves in October. A large-scale model of Smaug, built entirely from LEGO bricks and featuring custom light features to simulate the dragon's fire-breathing ability, will be displayed in the Warner Bros. booth #4545. On Thursday, July 24, fans will also have a chance to win a LEGO THE HOBBIT minifigure.

THE LEGO MOVIE
Fans of the first LEGO theatrical film will instantly recognize a new 8-foot tall LEGO model presiding over the booth as Lord Business. A LEGO set based on THE LEGO MOVIE launching in January 2015, will be unveiled and on Sunday, fans will have a chance to win an exclusive LEGO Unikitty, as well as attend a panel discussion focused on the film and its toys.

LEGO Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles™
To honor the new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles feature film, a life-sized LEGO model of Shredder will be on display, along with LEGO sets based on the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles television series and feature film.

LEGO Mixels™
LEGO Mixels™, an original property created in conjunction with Cartoon Network made up of animated shorts, virtual app gaming and collectible construction toys, was first unveiled at SDCC 2013. The fun continues as the fourth wave of quirky characters, launching in 2015, will be unveiled. New Mixels content for 2015 will also include new shorts, specials and a game.

LEGO NINJAGO and LEGO LEGENDS OF CHIMA™
Two of the biggest original LEGO properties will be represented in two separate panels on Sunday, inviting children and families to learn more about the stories, products lines and the television series that currently air on Cartoon Network.

LEGO Information
Three SDCC exclusive LEGO sets will be on sale in the shop area of LEGO booth #2829. Each set is limited to 1,000 pieces, and sales of each are capped at 250 per day. Four LEGO minifigures will be given away via raffle during the show. Fans can try their luck by visiting the Sails Terrace each day starting at 12:30 PM. For fans who are not attending SDCC, there is a chance to win one of the four minifigures via Twitter raffle by following @LEGO_Group.

Mr Mike

1 million Canadian dollars
Throughout the show, a limited number of exclusive Batman Classic TV Series Batmobile™ LEGO sets will be on sale.

What a load of rubbish.

I look forward to the instructions getting scanned in at the weekend so I can Bricklink it!

Ponn

Banned
What a load of rubbish.

I look forward to the instructions getting scanned in at the weekend so I can Bricklink it!

Yyyyuuup.

At least Hasbro didn't piss me off so much with their SDCC exclusives by making them available on their website around the following monday after SDCC. They don't last long, you have to be quick but at least they are made available to the public. This is just pandering to scalpers which to me is such a weird thing for a company to do. Just have to wait on the bootleggers for my The Collector fig now.

so we're getting a big brickbuilt Smaug AFTER ALL? hmm confused now...

and that classic Batmobile, does this mean it is confirmed now that it will NOT be an official set?

Ravek

Banned
Hello millions of LEGO fans. We have a special treat for you. We have made "Product X"!!! I know you all are very excited, as am I. This has been requested for a long time and we at The LEGO Group are proud to deliver to the greatest fans and enthusiast in the world.

All you have to do is be at this particular one place, at a very set time, and hope you have a good spot in line, because we only made 1,000! It's that simple, folks. AND THIS IS THE ONLY TIME EVER THEY WILL BE AVAILABLE!!!

While here, I would like to say we appreciate those who are not ordering "bootlegs" or counterfeit minifigs made from other companies that are not LEGO.

I do not understand this logic or how it is beneficial from a business stand point.

Ponn

Banned
Hello millions of LEGO fans. We have a special treat for you. We have made "Product X"!!! I know you all are very excited, as am I. This has been requested for a long time and we at The LEGO Group are proud to deliver to the greatest fans and enthusiast in the world.

All you have to do is be at this particular one place, at a very set time, and hope you have a good spot in line, because we only made 1,000! It's that simple, folks. AND THIS IS THE ONLY TIME EVER THEY WILL BE AVAILABLE!!!

While here, I would like to say we appreciate those who are not ordering "bootlegs" or counterfeit minifigs made from other companies that are not LEGO.

I do not understand this logic or how it is beneficial from a business stand point.

And its understandable if they want to do something fun and unique for their customers and fans, but they are going about it wrong in a manner that only pisses their fanbase off. Again using Hasbro as an example they make sets available at SDCC but they are usually redeco's of molds already available or unique fun takes like Knights of Unicron. Regardless they make enough and make them available to the public on their website.

If Lego did redecos of figs like for example that Shadow Leonardo fig. That's not bad and fans aren't going to be that pissed because they can get a Leonardo fig. Figs like Spider-Woman, Green Arrow, Green Lantern and The Collector are staple characters and highly unique figs that masses want. Then you make your once a year X-men set and make half the figs redeco's from last years set. THOSE are the figs you should be doing as exclusive SDCC figs, not freaking Green Lantern. Hell release a GL set or fig to the masses and then do the countless recolors of the fig for the different corps (I would be kind of pissy about that but at least I would have an official GL fig).

end rant

So it sounds like the raffle is just for the mini figures, and the actual sets will be sold on a first-come first-served basis throughout the show?

How confusing. :S

Also I'm pretty sure that we've seen the mini figures for the 2015 Lego Movie set they're gonna reveal...

Surprised they're gonna have 2015 Mixel stuff there though. I wonder what they'll look like!

Draxal

Its so inane.

I remember the NY Comiccon banning Lego from attending the show, because of how much a disaster Comiccon Prime/SD caused with attendees fighting over the limited items.

Im an AFOL, but this rubs me wrong because the primary market of Lego should and always be children, and there's no chance a normal kid can get this exclusive. These aren't modulars and are perfectly suitable for kids.

Ponn

Banned
Surprised they're gonna have 2015 Mixel stuff there though. I wonder what they'll look like!

I liked wave 2 but alot of the builds on the sets felt very "samey" to me compared to wave 1 (flexors of course being the exception). I'm excited for wave 3 because alot of those look to be doing some different stuff and I hope they start doing some really unique crazy shit. Do up some Pirannahcon tribe or something. Or maybe even better some extended previous tribe sets like 3 more fire/electricrock tribe sets that you max into something bigger.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Yyyyuuup.

At least Hasbro didn't piss me off so much with their SDCC exclusives by making them available on their website around the following monday after SDCC. They don't last long, you have to be quick but at least they are made available to the public. This is just pandering to scalpers which to me is such a weird thing for a company to do. Just have to wait on the bootleggers for my The Collector fig now.

Hasbro's might be available pretty easily online after. The reaction to the Rock Band transformers was mixed.

IHaveIce

Banned
Bough the Milano Spaceship today and the Knowhere escape mission.

So besides the Comic Con exclusive there isn't a Rocket Raccoon in the uniform?

Shady practices Lego.. very shady.

Ponn

Banned
Hasbro's might be available pretty easily online after. The reaction to the Rock Band transformers was mixed.

Oh man, as an 80's kid if I had the money I would so be getting that set. It reminds me of that movement making brand characters into bands like the Out of Their Shells tour. And as a bonus you can turn them into 80's tag team wrestlers.

So I haven't actually bit the bullet on the Knowhere Escape set. The movie hype wants me to get it now and I almost have a couple of times but the rest of the set is just so ugh...I want to get it on discount...like heavy discount. So I spent my Amazon credit and got that Hulk Lab Smash for $40. It's a price point i'm ok with for that set and the figs are just so awesome. I have some ideas for a scene and combining some sets as well.

Ravek

Banned

Came two days early. Not a big haul, but nice none the less, IMO.

Got the SW set simply for the minifigs. I haven't seen the Power Arnor set in stores for a while and LEGOGaf keeps saying how awesome it is, so I figured "lets do this". These are for my son who love both universes.

And then the granddaddy...the ECTO-1. I posted how my
3yr old
daughter saw this in the back of LEGO Mag and freaked out. And I can't deny her what she wants, thus bought.

Shredder is okay too. Will be building these either tomorrow or Thursday with my son and daughter. Will post impressions!

Edit: can anyone see the pic? Im on mobileGAF and all I see is an empty white box.

And its understandable if they want to do something fun and unique for their customers and fans, but they are going about it wrong in a manner that only pisses their fanbase off. Again using Hasbro as an example they make sets available at SDCC but they are usually redeco's of molds already available or unique fun takes like Knights of Unicron. Regardless they make enough and make them available to the public on their website.

If Lego did redecos of figs like for example that Shadow Leonardo fig. That's not bad and fans aren't going to be that pissed because they can get a Leonardo fig. Figs like Spider-Woman, Green Arrow, Green Lantern and The Collector are staple characters and highly unique figs that masses want. Then you make your once a year X-men set and make half the figs redeco's from last years set. THOSE are the figs you should be doing as exclusive SDCC figs, not freaking Green Lantern. Hell release a GL set or fig to the masses and then do the countless recolors of the fig for the different corps (I would be kind of pissy about that but at least I would have an official GL fig).

end rant

Yep, I can only assume the guy who makes these decisions has a sideline selling them on eBay :s

Came two days early. Not a big haul, but nice none the less, IMO.

Got the SW set simply for the minifigs. I haven't seen the Power Arnor set in stores for a while and LEGOGaf keeps saying how awesome it is, so I figured "lets do this". These are for my son who love both universes.

And then the granddaddy...the ECTO-1. I posted how my
3yr old
daughter saw this in the back of LEGO Mag and freaked out. And I can't deny her what she wants, thus bought.

Shredder is okay too. Will be building these either tomorrow or Thursday with my son and daughter. Will post impressions!

Edit: can anyone see the pic? Im on mobileGAF and all I see is an empty white box.

Ghostbusters AND Lex Power Armor? That is a kingly haul right there!

neonglow

So what do you guys think the initial prices are going to be for the comic con minifigs?

I think the Bard and Unikitty will be around $100-200 since they're variants.
The Collector will probably be from $200-400?
No idea what the DC minifigure will be but probably over $100. There was the rumor it'd be Zur-En-Arrh Batman.

Zurenarrh.jpg

Xater

Wait the Power Armor set is really good? Should have picked it up when I still saw it in a store huh?

Edit: I don't particularly care for That old Batman show but that Batmobile is cute indeed. I would get it if I could but Lego apparently doesn't want to sell it to me.

Mr Mike

1 million Canadian dollars
*sees Batmobile*

*fires up Bricklink*

Thankfully those figures aren't rare - that's the Batman and Robin from the LEGO Juniors set (which is currently on sale here in the UK)

It would seem that's the same model as teased in this picture from a few pages back:

13905139795_00d5ba53ba_b.jpg

Super Heroes aren't really my thing, but I still hope there's a non-exlusive vintage Batmobile for all those who want one! I'm kind of tempted over the UCS Tumbler as I did enjoy the Dark Knight trilogy, but if a UCS Slave I comes out it'll definitely take priority. Along with all the modulars I still need, really...

Jesus I NEED that Batmobile. Ughhhhhh.

So Rocket's Warbird is the only SDCC set that has an exclusive minifig? That's kind of a bummer.

Hopefully if I can't manage to get a Batmobile on ONE of the four days they're doing it, it won't be difficult to BrickLink. Any of you pros see any rare pieces or does it all look pretty standard?

Top Bottom