• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

PAB Contents:

Cup 1

White 2x2x2 slope- 86
White 1x8 tile- 32
- 118 pieces. $.067 a brick

Cup 2

White 1x8 tile- 231
Clear cheese slope- 110
- 341 pieces. $.023 a brick

Cup 3

White 4x6 plate- 30
White 1x2 arm rest- 19
White 1x8 tile- 117
- 166 pieces. $.048 a brick

625 bricks total. $.038 a brick.
And got 380 white 1x8 tiles. Think I have enough for a low of snow surface now.

As for packing all that into a small PAB cup, I combined the tiles and plates like this:

Good haul. Worth the long, long drive. To top it off, I stopped by a random liquor store on the way home on a gut feeling and found certain beers and wines I have been trying to hunt down for months. And in a few hours, Thor time. Good day outside of the crappy weather.

wetwired

Spent some time last night improving the stability of "The Bat" it's a lot stronger now and I made a few tweaks to make it slightly more accurate as well, I think I'll put some more time into it some more to fix a few others issues I have with it.

I also have an idea for next years display, I'm thinking of doing Nolanverse batcave, lots of rock, foundation/arches of wayne manor behind, the square platform things rising up out of...real water.

I'm thinking of doing a pit in the bottom lined with black plastic, filled with water and using a fountain pump to pump it up the top have it come down as the waterfall/entryway.

It'd take a lot of black slopes and bricks and some experimentation with the water side of things but I think it could work, I'd probably have "The Bat" parked on one of the platforms and the Tumbler parked on the rocks on the edge of the water.

1000px-Batcave_%282%29.jpg

dark-knight-rises-batcave.jpg

In my head the hardest part is trying to figure out which side to view it from, because as far as I can tell the arches and waterfall are on opposite sides to each other. I may have to fake and change the layout a bit so both get a good viewing angle.

ghostmind

Star Wars Episode 7 just got confirmed for a December 18, 2015 release date.

I expect to see Star Wars Rebels sets in the 2H of 2014, along with some classic trilogy and Episode 3 sets. I'm thinking that 2015 will continue to see a mix of Rebels and Classic sets until December, when the Episode 7 floodgates will open.

Ponn

Banned
That one castle baseplate belongs to the Dark Forest Fortress from Dark Forest. I know since I have it complete.

Otherwise, you can just sort out the pieces or show us what you have...I'm sure some of us would love the older Lego, I know I am.

thanks for the info. Yea thats where I think i'm stuff. If I have some stuff here people would really be interested in I don't really know how to even start sorting this out. I just don't see myself ever being a hardcore moc'er and feel alot of this will end up going to waste if I sit on it. I would feel bad turning around and trading or selling this after the guy gave it to me but I also would feel bad just letting it continue sitting on the floor to. Strongly thinking of just putting it in that lego trade thread for lowball offer.

Red neon parts are Ice Planet, the white wing with a hologram on it is Exploriens. Lots of cool stuff there. I'm guessing your co-worker is 28-30 years or so?

Thanks for more info. Actually it was his dad but I think the son is around that age yea. That magnet lego piece really floored me, I was double checking it to see if it was just superglued or something but it really is two lego pieces with magnets in them. That two piece bubble piece was also crazy looking to me. Probably make some cool Bioshock mocs with that.

Since it's N7 day, here's the Normandy SR2 from Mass Effect 2:

The base is meant to be the Cerberus logo :)

ohhh love me some Mass Effect, that is cool

TRU Black Friday sales look decent even with their super inflated prices.

i_ToysRUs-2013-LEGO-City-Town-Square-60027-BFAds-1383545713.jpg

I'm eyeing the Town Square set, but I may stay strong and just focus on modular buildings. I'm not a big city person, but that is a nice set.

Ponn

Banned
Man, Goblin King Battle down to $68 at Amazon. I'd like to get all the Hobbit dwarfs but that set just looks so meh to me

Tumbler Chase is down to 27 today though. Really wanted to get Turtles lair for 39.99 though, hate to pull the trigger on two sets this close to Black Friday.

neonglow

After watching Thor Dark World, I wish LEGO had made a couple sets from the movie. They could have made the small space ship or that flying boat and included Thor and Dark Elf minifigures.

wetwired

I finished dicking around with changing the design of "The Bat" by Velociraptor. Here's the original...

thumb640x360.jpg

I had to change it a bit due to lack of pieces but also to improve stability and I added a few touches of my own. I might order some more parts to try and make it look a bit better.

The Bat by Brent Waller, on Flickr

The Bat by Brent Waller, on Flickr

gokieks

Bought TECHNIC 42000 - Grand Prix Racer from TRU at an OK price (it's on "sale" for $120, and there was a $10 of $100+ purchase coupon). Thing is way bigger than I expected (almost 2 ft / 58 cm):

This also marks the first time ever that I've bought a LEGO set that actually had a missing piece. It didn't prevent my finishing the build (it just means the right side front wing edge piece can rotate instead of staying in place), so I was able to verify that it was indeed missing and not just me unable to find it while building. LEGO's piece replacement process is amazingly simple though, and a new one is already on its way.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Jabba's Sail Barge is discounted a little at EU amazon...

For those of you that own this set, what is your honest verdict? I remember quite a few people feeling lukewarm at best about this one...

R-User!

Spent some time last night improving the stability of "The Bat" it's a lot stronger now and I made a few tweaks to make it slightly more accurate as well, I think I'll put some more time into it some more to fix a few others issues I have with it.

I also have an idea for next years display, I'm thinking of doing Nolanverse batcave, lots of rock, foundation/arches of wayne manor behind, the square platform things rising up out of...real water.

I'm thinking of doing a pit in the bottom lined with black plastic, filled with water and using a fountain pump to pump it up the top have it come down as the waterfall/entryway.

It'd take a lot of black slopes and bricks and some experimentation with the water side of things but I think it could work, I'd probably have "The Bat" parked on one of the platforms and the Tumbler parked on the rocks on the edge of the water.

1000px-Batcave_%282%29.jpg

dark-knight-rises-batcave.jpg

In my head the hardest part is trying to figure out which side to view it from, because as far as I can tell the arches and waterfall are on opposite sides to each other. I may have to fake and change the layout a bit so both get a good viewing angle.

*sees "real water"... imagination runs into epic mode... thinks to self: "Gedadahere..."*

Noreally, get out! :)

Side note: Your color sorting really struck a chord with me. I believe I am going to run with this to a degree.

Gonna do tubs of all the same Rare colors: dark red, neon green, purple, pink, navy blue and so forth.
Bricks by Black, White, Grey, Dark Grey
Bricks by Primary Color: i.e. a tub of 1x2 bricks in red, yellow and blue.
Technic in their own containers/tubs
I'm still going to sort by type for certain things, because I don't have as many briefcase containers with little individual containers within as you do...

...which leads me to my next thing. Where did you get those containers???!!! They seem like they'd be the ideal container to diversify between little, medium, and large parts. I must have them if possible!

And your Rising Cube of Stone Batcave idea sounds inSANELY too good! :)

Rootbeer

Banned
Gotta resist that Eradicator... :( Great price but arrrgghhh so many expenses right now, plus I gotta start budgeting for the 2014 sets that are about to start appearing... >.< (that, and i'm really bored with the Galaxy Squad color schemes)

Falch

Gotta resist that Eradicator... :( Great price but arrrgghhh so many expenses right now, plus I gotta start budgeting for the 2014 sets that are about to start appearing... >.< (that, and i'm really bored with the Galaxy Squad color schemes)

Yeah I'm budgeting for 2014 also. I have to say though, there aren't much 2014 must buys for me so far, luckily.

I've significantly narrowed down what I want, otherwise I simply don't have the budget and room for all I'd want.

My shopping list for 2014:
- Star Wars: Tie Fighter, Millenium Falcon and regular X-wing (decided against the UCS X-wing as I have no other UCS ships and with the same budget I can buy all three remaining ships I want)
- Modulars: Pet Shop, Town Hall and Parisien Restaurant; I don;t quite like Palace Cinema so jury's not out on that one
- Bricklinking all the important mini-figs from the Hobbit and LOTR sets
- Tower of Orthanc (might get that as a Christmas gift for myself)
- Keeping an eye out for new superhero sets, but mainly again bricklinking the important minifigs
- Complete previous series of minifigs and buying complete sets of new series
- Probably one set from the LEGO movie
- Might get the Express Horizon, it looks so good

All in all, looks pretty doable; especially if I ease off buying all available modulars next year.

Nitemare1

Found 5767 Cool Cruiser in a Canadian Tire of all places. I didn't know they even sold Lego. Always wanted that set for the open wheel race car secondary build ( but it never rated high enough to go on my official buy list) so I jumped on it. Can't wait to build it this weekend!

jordisok

Not sure if its been posted but anyway UK legogaffers Shell have what looks to be a rather shitty deal on with their fuel and free Lego Ferrari polybags, might be useful if you fill up there anyway!!

LINK

wetwired

Side note: Your color sorting really struck a chord with me. I believe I am going to run with this to a degree.

Gonna do tubs of all the same Rare colors: dark red, neon green, purple, pink, navy blue and so forth.
Bricks by Black, White, Grey, Dark Grey
Bricks by Primary Color: i.e. a tub of 1x2 bricks in red, yellow and blue.
Technic in their own containers/tubs
I'm still going to sort by type for certain things, because I don't have as many briefcase containers with little individual containers within as you do...

...which leads me to my next thing. Where did you get those containers???!!! They seem like they'd be the ideal container to diversify between little, medium, and large parts. I must have them if possible!

And your Rising Cube of Stone Batcave idea sounds inSANELY too good! :)

There's a chain of hardware stores in Australia called Bunnings that sells them, The larger ones are actually better as the little sections are all individual removable containers, much better than the other ones which just have dividers.

Also the cube wouldn't actually rise out of the water like in the movie, that'd take a hell of a lot of work to make something like that be motorised to move AND be waterproof :/

Also the cube wouldn't actually rise out of the water like in the movie, that'd take a hell of a lot of work to make something like that be motorised to move AND be waterproof :/

Manual lever or gears. Technic parts FTW! :)

The insanity of mixing different shapes of same color is spreading!!!

EDIT: A balloon type hand pump device if you must go non-LEGO would work.

There's a chain of hardware stores in Australia called Bunnings that sells them, The larger ones are actually better as the little sections are all individual removable containers, much better than the other ones which just have dividers.

Buy a small waterproof cube and put the Batsuit or whatever inside it. Tape it shut, then build a brick cage around it. Then use gears to hand crank it up and out of the water.

Only thing I can think of at the moment.

So on a lighter note, my Target had new polybags in the seasonal section. Xmas Train, Friends Ice Cream Stand, and TMNT Krang Target Practice

ghostmind

just2good on Eurobricks posted this comparison shot the other day:

6ydCQJx.jpg

I'm not really feeling the oversized Simpsons heads... so much for integrating them into my city.

bodine1231

Yeah I'm budgeting for 2014 also. I have to say though, there aren't much 2014 must buys for me so far, luckily.

I've significantly narrowed down what I want, otherwise I simply don't have the budget and room for all I'd want.

My shopping list for 2014:
- Star Wars: Tie Fighter, Millenium Falcon and regular X-wing (decided against the UCS X-wing as I have no other UCS ships and with the same budget I can buy all three remaining ships I want)
- Modulars: Pet Shop, Town Hall and Parisien Restaurant; I don;t quite like Palace Cinema so jury's not out on that one
- Bricklinking all the important mini-figs from the Hobbit and LOTR sets
- Tower of Orthanc (might get that as a Christmas gift for myself)
- Keeping an eye out for new superhero sets, but mainly again bricklinking the important minifigs
- Complete previous series of minifigs and buying complete sets of new series
- Probably one set from the LEGO movie
- Might get the Express Horizon, it looks so good

All in all, looks pretty doable; especially if I ease off buying all available modulars next year.

Pretty much exactly what I plan on doing. I'm staying away from the licensed stuff and sticking with the larger modular/UCS sets and Bricklinking all the minifigs.

Finally got all 6 available Shell/Ferrari promo bags together! Shame that the fabled 7th one will not be available here, maybe you guys in the US will get that one, supposedly 2 minifigs and an F1 box setting...

These 2 guys here remain my favorites of the bunch!

I am thinking now, instead of having 6 small cars, they should do one big (preferably minifig sized) one with lots of detail for their next run!!

Hmm the next wave of Star Wars releases looks quite meh. Guess that's ok since I spent too much on the previous two waves.

Still no news on the next UCS?

Top Bottom