• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Those city sets actually look pretty awesome, even the police ones.

The printed pineapples in the Friends set are definitely must-haves though.

wetwired

FINALLY finished the gingerbread house.

Interior slopes to support the roof. Figured might as well put a wreath or big cookie inside instead of a blank wall.

One support beam running between the two thin, sloped walls. Also showing how the candy cane running along the roof is attached. There are a few Technic pins running through the middle for support. I didn't have enough red round pieces to keep the pattern uniform along the candy cane though.

Roof tiles. This was SO tedious. Ugh. Remind me never to do something like this again. Assembling the roof part was fine. It was putting the hundreds of 1x1 studs in varying colors everywhere that was so tedious. But, it was my choice to make it look like gumdrop heaven, so I only have myself to blame.

The roof attached.

The finished house. Going for something that looks reasonably realistic for a gingerbread house. In other words, lots of icing and gumdrops or candy everywhere on the thing.

I still haven't figured out an idea to replace the peppermint breasts on the front.

Now to build the snow environment to put this and the Winter Village Cottage into. Hidden feature of the gingerbread house: I put one of the large octagonal shapes under it, so I plan on attaching it to a spinning base in the scene. That way people can see the scene, but then I can spin the house around to show the interior without having to actually lift it. Shamelessly stolen idea from Ewok Village.

Some ideas I am kicking around to add to the holiday scene: frozen pond for skating, and an abominable snowman terrorizing the village.

Forgot to reply to this, some candy cane lamps or something would be cool, I've got no idea how to do it.

Heads up, Amazon will be having some Lightning Deals on Legos today. Probably in for the Constitution Train if it's >30%

Thanks for the heads up! 100% in if 30% or more for Constitution. Question is if I can click fast enough.

10:00am EST – LEGO Star Wars 9496 Desert Skiff
11:00pm EST – LEGO Chima Lennox Lion Attack 7002
12:00pm EST -LEGO Bricks and More DUPLO My First Build 4631
1:00pm EST – LEGO The Lone Ranger Constitution Train Chase
2:00pm EST – LEGO Chima Eris Eagle Interceptor
4:00pm EST – LEGO SpongeBob Bikini Bottom Undersea Party 3818
6:00pm EST – LEGO The Hobbit The Goblin King Battle
7:00pm EST – LEGO DUPLO Play with Letters 6051

Info from FBTB

http://www.fbtb.net/2013/11/11/lego-deals-all-day-today-in-amazons-gold-box/

Forgot to reply to this, some candy cane lamps or something would be cool, I've got no idea how to do it.

Was trying to think of how to implement candy canes on the grounds outside the house, and lamps could work very well. I don't think I am going to tweak the interior anymore and try and focus on the grounds around it now though.

I was thinking of using some bendy tubes and threading some 1x1 round bricks through it in a candy cane pattern, and then bending it into the crook. The only problem is that would leave parts of the tube exposed. I will try and knock something out with that tonight after work.

Thank you for the idea. I was trying to figure out a good reason to put more candy canes in, and lamps are a great idea. Candy Cane street lamps along a trail leading up to the house or something.

Also debating if I want the gingerbread house to be the center of the scene when I do the grounds, or off on one side much like Haunted House was in my halloween scene.
Either way, I need to move my but and get those grounds built fast, because I need time to disassemble the halloween stuff before in laws and cousins descend on the apartment in a couple of weeks.

train lightning deal is up, 35% off

Got mine at 35% off earlier. All gone now.. And by got mine, I got the train set and the mine shootout set. Even if mine shootout doesn't live up to my high expectation due to the raves on this thread, it looks like a really good parts pack. I now have the full Lone Ranger sets. Something I was not planning. :( But they were hard to resist at 30% or more off most of the sets I got.

Rootbeer

Banned
well guys I'm bummed... I got SUPER CLOSE... my lego sets from walmart made it all the way to my city but walmart requested it be sent back so yeah. and no, i have no time to go try to get it, too stressed from work to fight with them

no lego castle for $11 for me.

it's nice to have dreams, etc.

wish i could get lucky just once. my luck my PS4 will get lost in shipping too.

Ponn

Banned
Thanks for the heads up! 100% in if 30% or more for Constitution. Question is if I can click fast enough.

10:00am EST – LEGO Star Wars 9496 Desert Skiff
11:00pm EST – LEGO Chima Lennox Lion Attack 7002
12:00pm EST -LEGO Bricks and More DUPLO My First Build 4631
1:00pm EST – LEGO The Lone Ranger Constitution Train Chase
2:00pm EST – LEGO Chima Eris Eagle Interceptor
4:00pm EST – LEGO SpongeBob Bikini Bottom Undersea Party 3818
6:00pm EST – LEGO The Hobbit The Goblin King Battle
7:00pm EST – LEGO DUPLO Play with Letters 6051

Info from FBTB

http://www.fbtb.net/2013/11/11/lego-deals-all-day-today-in-amazons-gold-box/

ohhh, been eyeing that goblin king for awhile. Problem is they have had it at like $68 but i need it cheaper than that to pull trigger. We all know they wont discount off ontop of what they have been selling it at but how much of a deal cheaper then that will it be. I hate to be harsh but i think my buy point is $50 for it.

Ponn

Banned
So Goblin King was lightning deal $56. I was able to add it, but having second thoughts. I honestly would rather have the TMNT Lair set for $40.

flyingpig

Neo Member
Yay, got the train from the amazon lightning deal off the wait list. First lightning deal of the year, I guess it is officially Christmas time now. The best time of the year.

Especially as we get close to Christmas, Amazon Warehouse Deals Lego has a ton of good deals as the warehouse damages more boxes trying to meet the increased volume.

99% of the time the stuff on amazon is purely cosmetic damage from warehouse mishaps, never opened, perfect condition merchandise. If something is wrong, returns are free and easy. Though if you are a box collector, I guess this isn't for you.

Oh good, I didn't miss anything on those Amazon deals. Only sponge bob set I'm interested in is the pirate ship one, and probably really for the stickers...which I could probably get elsewhere I suppose.

ghostmind

Supposedly one of the official Flanders's:

41NKwbA.jpg

Some of the wall parts could be useful in adding flowery detail to a regular castle. The builds also seem rather advanced. Not bad, really.

the Creator Kitty, monkey and the train for me pls.

Also considering that Mountain cottage thing, doesn't look that great... then again, it really doesn't look so bad either hmmm

DJ_Lae

Princess stuff is kind of...well, it's not terrible but I'm not really feeling it either (we'll see what my daughters think I guess).

Love the monkey/cat/mouse, though.

That car (sunset speeder) is kind of insulting, it looks almost identical to the blue set from last year.

Train and digger are cool, though, I like those tiny sets for desk display at work.

Princess stuff is kind of...well, it's not terrible but I'm not really feeling it either (we'll see what my daughters think I guess).

Love the monkey/cat/mouse, though.

That car (sunset speeder) is kind of insulting, it looks almost identical to the blue set from last year.

Train and digger are cool, though, I like those tiny sets for desk display at work.
For some reason, I like that the Sunset Speeder looks like the Blue Roadster. Almost like this is a new model year and a different paint job.

But I understand the criticism as well.

EDIT: I just realized the Cinderella carriage only comes with her. No Fairy Godmother? No driver?

ghostmind

Those CREATOR sets look great! Will be picking up the Mountain Hut, Furry Creatures and Forest Animals sets.

Will also get at least the small Little Mermaid set from the Disney line.

For Friends, I'll be getting the Beach House, Sunshine Harvest, Juice Bar and Lemonade Stand.

Cloud Cuckoo Palace will be my first purchase from that theme (not counting CMFs).
So much craziness and parts in that set. Dat sun. Dat unicorn thing.

Will wait for good sales or clearance prices to get any other sets more than $20 for that theme.

EDIT:
Those round tiles. Lots of round tiles in the Cloud Cuckoo Palace. Granted a bunch are pink.

Looks like LEGO may suck me into Hero Factory. I will get 1 or 2 for the "minifigs" and some parts. I hope I don't like the "minifigs".

Ponn

Banned
I NEED those animal sets for my desk at work. NO YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND, I NEED THOSE SETS!! All of a sudden i'm interested in some upcoming sets. Do they sell an Empire State building set?

I got the new Lego catalog today, nothing new. In fact I had to double take and make sure it wasn't the same one from last month, still pimping Winter Village Market. I noticed they are pushing Galaxy Squad with random inserts throughout the catalog.

I NEED those animal sets for my desk at work. NO YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND, I NEED THOSE SETS!! All of a sudden i'm interested in some upcoming sets. Do they sell an Empire State building set?

I got the new Lego catalog today, nothing new. In fact I had to double take and make sure it wasn't the same one from last month, still pimping Winter Village Market. I noticed they are pushing Galaxy Squad with random inserts throughout the catalog.

As with most Architecture sets, pricey for what you get. I like almost all the architecture sets, but I'm not willing to pay those prices.

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Empire-State-Building-21002

LEGO catalog is pimping 2013 sets. Most of the new sets you are seeing the past few days are 2014 sets. Typically a few 2014 sets make it into the wild at non-LEGO stores before end of year.

mojiimbo

I think it's the same except it has the December Ninjago and Hobbit sets now.

Top Bottom