• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

Xater

So my Hulk Lab Smash set arrived today and I have built it immediately. Definitely a playset and not really suitable for display so I will soon salvage the parts. I still love it though because all the minifigs are great. Don't regret buying it for 20% off at all.

So I kinda want to get all the Avengers together now. Hawkeye seems to be available pretty cheaply but it looks like I am out of luck with Black Widow huh?

ruxtpin

Banned
Rambling post as I'm out of the country for the first time on a job interview! Vancouver, Canada! Hoping I get this job. Should mean more time to build - which has been my biggest issue as of late.

Ravek

Banned
Not a lot of Technic folks here, but if you are at ALL interested in exploring the theme, the new 42023 Construction Crew set is fantastic. I spent the past 3-4 days building it (one vehicle a night) and enjoyed the build a lot.

It's a great throwback to the simple days of building - no insane gearboxes, no over the top features that nobody cares about, great color and part selection...They also feel like they'd go great in a town setup if anyone is into that. And while the builds are all quite simple, there's still so much form and function going on. It really is a great set for Technic and System builders alike.

10940233904_9d5eda526a_c.jpg

Pic stolen from Eurobricks

I like technic a lot, it just seems like LEGO doesn't, thus the lack of inspired sets.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I like the look of System, but the playability and functionality of Technic (hence why it's what I am exclusively collecting). I get why some folks don't like it, though - I think the fact that I'm an engineer drives me towards Technic, ha.

Zerojul

So I kinda want to get all the Avengers together now. Hawkeye seems to be available pretty cheaply but it looks like I am out of luck with Black Widow huh?
You should try to find a QuinJet. You get Black Widow AND the awesomest of awesome ships :)

neonglow

I like the look of System, but the playability and functionality of Technic (hence why it's what I am exclusively collecting). I get why some folks don't like it, though - I think the fact that I'm an engineer drives me towards Technic, ha.

While I'm not a big fan of Technic, I do like that the pieces have slowly made their way into System sets. It's always interesting when a System set starts off with a Technic frame.

I love technic, probably more than traditional lego sets. Theres just something about putting all those levers and gears together and then seeing how they work to make it do something at the end that is so fun.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I love technic, probably more than traditional lego sets. Theres just something about putting all those levers and gears together and then seeing how they work to make it do something at the end that is so fun.

That's why I prefer it. I love how impressive something like the Taj Mahal or Best Star looks when on display, but the fact that I can pick up my remote and drive a car made of LEGO around my house is an absolute blast.

Xater

Nah not gonna buy the Quinjet just for one figure. I should probably just wait until the new Avengers film is out. I will probably get those two easily from sets then.

Rambling post as I'm out of the country for the first time on a job interview! Vancouver, Canada! Hoping I get this job. Should mean more time to build - which has been my biggest issue as of late.

Good luck. Are you in Canada now though? If not, that is quite a change.

Nah not gonna buy the Quinjet just for one figure. I should probably just wait until the new Avengers film is out. I will probably get those two easily from sets then.

You should be buying the Quinjet for the Quinjet.

Ponn is right. You get the Quinjet for the Quinjet. Black Widow and the Mark VII Iron Man figures are just icing on the cake.
I initially bought Quinjet just for parts and to get the figures, but it wound up being one of my favorite sets from the last couple of years. That was a set that definitely flew under almost everyone's radar, but when people finally got it they understood why others were so vocal about its awesomeness.

ghostmind

Quinjet is the real deal. It even made it onto a couple LEGO-GAF'ers "sets of the year" lists.*

*disclaimer: I may be one of those LEGO-GAF'ers

Cool, you can check the Cincinnati Lego store and I'll check the Columbus Lego store for pab wall stuff. Only a state away now :D

Yeeeeaaaah. Those cities are about 3.5 -5 hours away from where we will end up. However, the Nashville, TN store will only be about an hour away. So I can check that wall every few weeks. :)

YES!!! I went to Toys R Us today at lunch. I have been eyeing the Sith Infiltrator ship from The Old Republic for over a year. They had one left, and I decided to bite the bullet before it dissapeared. I walked in and could not find it anywhere. It was there Sunday, and I thought someobdy had come in and snatched it up. Low and behold the did some rearranging and I finally found it behind some other stuff on a end cap. It is now mine!!!
I hope it is as good as I think it will be!

YES!!! I went to Toys R Us today at lunch. I have been eyeing the Sith Infiltrator ship from The Old Republic for over a year. They had one left, and I decided to bite the bullet before it dissapeared. I walked in and could not find it anywhere. It was there Sunday, and I thought someobdy had come in and snatched it up. Low and behold the did some rearranging and I finally found it behind some other stuff on a end cap. It is now mine!!!
I hope it is as good as I think it will be!

Did the coupon work? If so, I am going to send it to another GAFfer and see if it can be used again by him.

And enjoy the ship. I was late to the party on it, but others on here raved about it. And with very good reason.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Man, a SPACESHIP! contest would be bonkers.

And hello, fellow LEGO GAF mover. Where are you moving from and where to?

Going from CT to KY myself.

You're moving to KY? What part? We have an office down there, haha. KY is a pretty boring state, at least in the Sebree area. ;)

Also, if I go back to the LEGO store this weekend with my wife, I'll see if they have anymore Research Institutes or Exo-suits. I doubt it, but if they do, I'll pick one of each up to try and help LEGO GAF out.

Did the coupon work? If so, I am going to send it to another GAFfer and see if it can be used again by him.

And enjoy the ship. I was late to the party on it, but others on here raved about it. And with very good reason.

No.. unfortunatly it did not work. They said that I needed to have a Toys R Us credit card in order to use it??? never heard of that before!

No.. unfortunatly it did not work. They said that I needed to have a Toys R Us credit card in order to use it??? never heard of that before!

The front of the coupon (which I didn't scan, sorry) says 20% off any item, 25% for using your TRU credit card. The back states you need the card to get 25%. They should have tried it. Oh well. It was worth a shot.
You're moving to KY? What part? We have an office down there, haha. KY is a pretty boring state, at least in the Sebree area. ;)

Also, if I go back to the LEGO store this weekend with my wife, I'll see if they have anymore Research Institutes or Exo-suits. I doubt it, but if they do, I'll pick one of each up to try and help LEGO GAF out.

Her job will be in Franklin. We are looking to move to Bowling Green. We are probably flying down Saturday and looking at apartments for a few days after.

And as for Exo Suit being gone, I feel bad about returning one I had. If I had known I would have held it to help others out here.

The front of the coupon (which I didn't scan, sorry) says 20% off any item, 25% for using your TRU credit card. The back states you need the card to get 25%. They should have tried it. Oh well. It was worth a shot.

Her job will be in Franklin. We are looking to move to Bowling Green. We are probably flying down Saturday and looking at apartments for a few days after.

And as for Exo Suit being gone, I feel bad about returning one I had. If I had known I would have held it to help others out here.

Ahh.. I wish I would have known that ... I would have argued with them. All in all I am just happy I got the set. I was so upset when I did not see it when I got there. All I need now is a Darh Maul and Count Dooku to make my Sith collection complete. I may have to buy those minifigs separtly....

Ravek

Banned
For the peeps who didnt get an Exo-Suit, ill have six ready for me by the time I get home. I want to keep 3, so 3 probably up for sale.

Rootbeer

Banned
anyone bought and used the lego fusion sets yet? any thoughts?

Which means they might not have Widow since she's the most wanted out of the set. Just hit and miss.

if widow is removed you can contact LEGO customer service and there is a good chance they will send you a replacement... many among LEGO GAF have had to do this and had success. It sucks to get a set with minifigs removed, but it's not the end of the world especially if the set was at a really nice discount.

To those that spot lego sets at target that are like 40% off or more.... How do you guys find them? I always look and see no discounts. Do you have to scan the price to see that it has dropped? In other words are they often not marked?

I would check sites like http://toysnbricks.com/ . That is my main site to find deals. You can often see when clearance waves start at major retailers from that site. LEGO-GAF here has also been very good.

Based on what I've read and personal experience, location of the store matters too. Each retail store seems to have a "clearance budget" and it's up to them how much to markdown stuff being cleared. That said, areas of lower income tend to have bigger markdowns. Walmart and Target stores in a fairly well-off neighbor rarely have clearanced LEGO and when they do, they rarely go more than 30% off. A Superstore Walmart in a lower income area is where I've scored my biggest clearance items. I've been able to snag several sets 50% off there.

So I got my first negative feedback as a buyer on Bricklink, I ordered some parts on Feburary 17th and paid for them on the 18th. I messaged the seller on March the 3rd asking if the item had been sent with the Paypal transaction ID.

He replied saying he somehow overlooked the payment and would send them ASAP. I received the items on the 30th of March, over a month after ordering. Everything was intact so I gave a Neutral feedback of "Slow to post but otherwise perfect order"

His response was to give me negative feedback with "problem customer big waring !!!!!!!!"

WTF

Sucks. I've had mostly good experiences on BrickLink. There was one seller I suspected some minifigs weren't in new condition. I didn't complain as they weren't expensive ones.

Not a lot of Technic folks here, but if you are at ALL interested in exploring the theme, the new 42023 Construction Crew set is fantastic. I spent the past 3-4 days building it (one vehicle a night) and enjoyed the build a lot.

It's a great throwback to the simple days of building - no insane gearboxes, no over the top features that nobody cares about, great color and part selection...They also feel like they'd go great in a town setup if anyone is into that. And while the builds are all quite simple, there's still so much form and function going on. It really is a great set for Technic and System builders alike.

10940233904_9d5eda526a_c.jpg

Pic stolen from Eurobricks

Those do look nice. I am staying away from Technic as I can see myself falling into another money pit. I love the mechanics of Technic ever since I got the Car Chassis as a kid in the 70's.

So my Hulk Lab Smash set arrived today and I have built it immediately. Definitely a playset and not really suitable for display so I will soon salvage the parts. I still love it though because all the minifigs are great. Don't regret buying it for 20% off at all.

I imagine Black Widow will be available again for the next Avengers movie. May be slightly different, but sure would beat paying the high price for her. Bootleg is another option as a last resort.

mojiimbo

anyone bought and used the lego fusion sets yet? any thoughts?
I believe the sets have been delayed because the app still isn't ready even though they were targeting an August 1st launch.

Last night I priced out the parts to convert the Mini Cooper from green to red and it came out to $25 to $30 before shipping, which isn't bad, except that two of the pieces haven't been made in red yet.

62360.jpg

The fender comes in black or white which might work.

93604.jpg

This guy only comes in light aqua, white and green and only really comes in Arkham Asylum or the promo polybags for the Mini Cooper or VW camper van.

I guess you could cheat by buying the white parts and just Rit dye them until they make them in red.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

OK, those areas are a lot less podunk. Enjoy it!

Those do look nice. I am staying away from Technic as I can see myself falling into another money pit. I love the mechanics of Technic ever since I got the Car Chassis as a kid in the 70's.

It's an expensive theme, but they don't release a ton of stuff every year, so it's nice. System is terrible in that they have Castle, Space, Creator, Expert flagships, LEGO Movie, Star Wars...And worse yet, all the sets are awesome in their own way, so if I jumped back down that rabbit hole, it'd get very expensive, very fast. Toss in Trains and it gets downright filthy. :p

I personally don't care for super long builds because it can be very tough to motivate myself to build it again once I inevitably take it apart, which kinda comes off as a waste of money lol.

DemiMatt

I finished putting together one of my Exo Suits last night, I really enjoyed the build. It was the perfect amount of fun, interesting, and frustrating (because all the pieces are tiny and look the same). It turned out pretty good, the joints are all pretty sturdy and nothing falls off when I pose it. What I really want to do is make a mod where the claws are fists. My only complaint is the shoulder pad things, no idea why they are there and they just get in the way of things. Also the range of motion in the arms, which they could extend a bit more in the elbow. Otherwise a fun piece and well worth it.

*****Max screen to see the full battle ****

10247217_10154529097815508_1210698541555748609_n.jpg
10390420_10154529095030508_1195213297883269034_n.jpg

***Bonus JLA at The Green Grocer pic ***

10599525_10154529111590508_1826954855895590005_n.jpg

Rootbeer

Banned
I believe the sets have been delayed because the app still isn't ready even though they were targeting an August 1st launch.
Not delayed... I saw all of them at Toys R Us Tuesday, but was already buying a lot of other junk so i didn't take a chance on them.

You may well be right about the app though. Haven't checked.

mojiimbo

Not delayed... I saw all of them at Toys R Us Tuesday, but was already buying a lot of other junk so i didn't take a chance on them.

You may well be right about the app though. Haven't checked.
Oh, the sets were sent out in mid July but they weren't supposed to be sold until the app is ready since the the only thing in the box is 3 bags of bricks and a thin pamphlet telling you to download the app with instructions for a really short build to get you started. The app's not even on the iPhone/iPad app store yet.

Experien

LEGO just emailed me about "customer service" with my LEGO order from Exosuit day...end result is my backordered exosuits are shipped, woo!

Top Bottom