• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

jpatez34

Neo Member
I'm starting to worry now. The expected ship date for my Exo-Suit backorder has jumped from the 4th September to the 11th! Why am I slowly starting to think I'm never going to get it?

To those that spot lego sets at target that are like 40% off or more.... How do you guys find them? I always look and see no discounts. Do you have to scan the price to see that it has dropped? In other words are they often not marked?

I've got an opportunity to get this lot for a fair price. Any winners in here?

If anyone is looking for any sets on the list, let me know as I'm not planning on keeping them all.

6175-1 CRYSTAL EXPLORER SUB

6856-1 PLANETARY DECODER

2160-1 CRYSTAL SCAVENGER

2162-1 HYDRO REEF WRECKER

6125-1 SEA SPRINT 9

6462-1 AERIAL RECOVERY

6558-1 SHARK CAGE COVE

1789-1 STAR HAWK II

6155-1 DEEP SEA PREDATOR

6639-1 RAVEN RACER

8210-1 NITRO GTX BIKE

6190-1 SHARK'S CRYSTAL CAVE

6899-1 NEBULA OUTPOST

6939-1 SAUCER CENTURION

1821-1 RALLY RACERS

6145-1 CRYSTAL CRAWLER

1782-1 DISCOVERY STATION

6879-1 BLIZZARD BARON

6898-1 ICE-SAT V

6487-1 MOUNTAIN RESCUE

6518-1 BAJA BUGGY

6445-1 EMERGENCY EVAC

6546-1 SLICK RACER

6335-1 INDY TRANSPORT

6115-1 SHARK SCOUT

6337-1 FAST TRACK FINISH

8207-1 DUNE DUSTER

6516-1 MOON WALKER

1822-1 SEA CLAW 7

6815-1 HOVERTRON

6854-1 ALIEN FOSSILIZER

6135-1 SPY SHARK

OK, I finalized the deal and I'm picking them up on Friday morning. Paying a little more than I wanted, but it's a fair deal. PM me if you're serious about any of the sets and I'll let you know a price. These were built in the 90s and have been in ziploc bags with the instructions ever since. I picked up a Neptune Discovery Lab and an Explorien starship complete in boxes from the guy too.

He's also throwing in 25 lego magazines from this era which should make for a good read.

To those that spot lego sets at target that are like 40% off or more.... How do you guys find them? I always look and see no discounts. Do you have to scan the price to see that it has dropped? In other words are they often not marked?

It's rare that they're not marked. I found a stack of Stunt planes unmarked 2 weeks ago and they were at 50% off.

Sometimes you get super lucky. One time I was in the store as they were doing the markdowns and got a bunch of stuff at 70% off.

Woorloog

Banned
The more you can make a Lego build look like something else entirely is when it's most amazing. Like making a household vacuum cleaner out of Lego and totally fool people unless they look close. I love the omg that is made of Lego. How did they do that. Or the ridiculously simple microbuilds of real life objects that instantly capture that objects essence. That's the reason I love Lego is the amazing versatility.

I understand that versatility, this is what makes legos the best toy there is. All that creative potential...

But my personal preference is to keep things looking as if they're made with legos, if not with brick pieces. There is certain simplicity at bare studs and less smooth surfaces.
Of course smooth pieces have their place, and sometimes they're needed for the right look. Interestingly smooth pieces tend to make things look more high-tech, especially if the item in question is a scifi build. (Which is kind of an issue for me, i like the old space legos and the crude look they often have. But then i'm not often a fan of high-tech stuff in scifi.)
Besides, not covering things the studs allows for easier, faster spontaneous additions.

I've noted that a lot of newer lego sets seem to have big parts that lower the complexity. Or a lot of specialized parts, shaped parts. They seem a bit... i don't know how to describe it. Worrying? Though they're better than stickers for sure...
Not that i follow legos that closely, i might be getting a wrong impression.

Ewok Village is all disassembled, and now I am debating about keeping it separate to rebuild later, or integrate it into the collective of bricks for MOCs later.

Hurm.

Risible

Damn, if I had known Research Institute would just disappear like that, I would have bought another one. As it is I managed one for my girlfriend, and one for her friend that's a lady neuro-scientist. None for me to build or stash.

:(

Hopefully they do another run, since there aren't even any unique prints in that set beyond the star chart, right? Lego bathing in liquid money from that set, probably costs them less than $5 to make.

I had no idea it was limited :(. My daughter is a budding young scientist and I was psyched to get it for her for Christmas, but there's no way on earth I can justify the prices it's going for on eBay right now. Totally bummed.

Ryuuroden

I understand that versatility, this is what makes legos the best toy there is. All that creative potential...

But my personal preference is to keep things looking as if they're made with legos, if not with brick pieces. There is certain simplicity at bare studs and less smooth surfaces.
Of course smooth pieces have their place, and sometimes they're needed for the right look. Interestingly smooth pieces tend to make things look more high-tech, especially if the item in question is a scifi build. (Which is kind of an issue for me, i like the old space legos and the crude look they often have. But then i'm not often a fan of high-tech stuff in scifi.)
Besides, not covering things the studs allows for easier, faster spontaneous additions.

I've noted that a lot of newer lego sets seem to have big parts that lower the complexity. Or a lot of specialized parts, shaped parts. They seem a bit... i don't know how to describe it. Worrying? Though they're better than stickers for sure...
Not that i follow legos that closely, i might be getting a wrong impression.

Lego sets today are much more complex then those of your childhood and Lego actually has decreased the number of new specialized parts they make every year. This was done to improve efficiency and avoid bankruptcy a decade ago. Price per brick in sets has on average gone down every year too. That was the statistic that amazed me. Used to be the averages were up to 23 cents per lego brick in some sets but now the average is usually around 10 cents, even licenced themes have followed this trend. The difference between the past and today is the fact that there are much more large complex sets today, many aimed toward older audience. If you look at sets like death star and Super Star Destroyer or ewok village or many others you will see that a vast majority of the parts are common pieces found in many sets. If you are referring to lack of classic brick shape bricked, go back and look at old sets and you will see that many old sets from the 80's came with even less per set and we didn't have sets like the creator series that provide tons of those, or a pick a brick wall. Generally, I think its most peoples nostalgia remembering things as being better than they actually were. The biggest thing that was better was we had more printed parts in the past than we do now. Honestly tho, I prefer stickers because then I get all these bricks without print on them and I can leave the stickers off and use them for my own creations. Printing bricks makes them more specialized and less useful imo. Imagine if the blue cement truck lego set was printed. There would be no great parts for the Motorized Tachikoma some guy made. It would have shitty concrete symbols all over it. Lots of fantastic mocs have been saved by LEGO's move to stickers.

Woorloog

Banned
I've always hated using stickers on stuff. Now i agree that printed pieces may not be useful for everything, so i prefer the kind that are easily used for many things (so no stuff like logos, pieces that have kind of computer printing or some kind of surface detail like pipes or such is ok). Stickers can't be removed (well at least), and they can rip and whatever else. (And no, i'm not the sort who keeps everything stored carefully. They are toys, they were used, disassembled, built again, modified, whatever. Stickers don't suit that.) Though i guess printed pieces get scratched and fade...

But the specialized parts... i guess i see rounded parts as specialized or something? They weren't very common in late 90s. EDIT or some other types. Hmph. Guess i need to look through part lists or something to find examples what i mean. Or think i mean.
EDIT Perhaps the smooth pieces and covering is more common now? Along with SNOT techniques. Can't recall those being very common with old Star Wars sets, or others for that matter.
EDIT Looking through some sets. i just can't figure out what i mean. There is something in some of them that just doesn't look good. But i figure it can't be SNOT stuff because there's many sets where it looks really great.
Ah, well, whatever. It is not like it will be issue for me anytime soon. Can't afford getting legos. And i don't have space for them either. Need a lot of floorspace, i just spread a lot of pieces around. Organized chaos.

And no, i wasn't talking about the classic brick. Honestly i've always struggled to find good use for them aside from filler, thick walls or pillars or such. Good for pyramids i guess.

EDIT why the new lego shop site is so bad? Where did that simple hover-over to zoom feature go? EDIT video clips for some things, force-played for some things? The fuck? ARGH!

ghostmind

WB just released a list of DC Comics films, from 2016 until 2020. All of the titles are "TBA", except for the Superman v. Batman film, but the sheer volume is impressive.

Those of us that are into the LEGO licensed themes are going to be very busy for the rest of this decade.

Here's a look up through 2018:

Avengers: Age of Ultron (05/01)
Jurassic World (06/12) <unconfirmed that LEGO has this license>
Ant-Man (07/17)
Star Wars Episode VII (12/18)

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (03/25)
Captain America 3 (05/06)
Untitled Marvel Studios Film (07/08)
Untitled DC Film (08/05)
Ninjago (09/23)
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (11/18)
Untitled Star Wars film (12/16)

Untitled Marvel Studios Film (05/05)
The LEGO Movie 2 (05/26)
Untitled DC Film (06/23)
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (07/07)
Guardians of the Galaxy 2 (07/28)
Untitled Marvel Studios Film (11/03)
Untitled DC Film (11/17)
Star Wars: Episode VIII (12/16) *estimate*

Untitled DC Film (03/23)
Untitled Marvel Studios Film (05/04)
Untitled Marvel Studios Film (07/06)
Untitled DC Film (07/27)
Untitled Marvel Studios Film (11/02)
Untitled Star Wars film (12/14) *estimate*

Note that not all of these will get the LEGO treatment, but I am betting that a large portion will.

wetwired

WB just released a list of DC Comics films, from 2016 until 2020. All of the titles are "TBA", except for the Superman v. Batman film, but the sheer volume is impressive.

Those of us that are into the LEGO licensed themes are going to be very busy for the rest of this decade.

Here's a look up through 2018:

Avengers: Age of Ultron (05/01)
Jurassic World (06/12) <unconfirmed that LEGO has this license>
Ant-Man (07/17)
Star Wars Episode VII (12/18)

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (03/25)
Captain America 3 (05/06)
Untitled Marvel Studios Film (07/08)
Untitled DC Film (08/05)
Ninjago (09/23)
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (11/18)
Untitled Star Wars film (12/16)

Untitled Marvel Studios Film (05/05)
The LEGO Movie 2 (05/26)
Untitled DC Film (06/23)
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (07/07)
Guardians of the Galaxy 2 (07/28)
Untitled Marvel Studios Film (11/03)
Untitled DC Film (11/17)
Star Wars: Episode VIII (12/16) *estimate*

Untitled DC Film (03/23)
Untitled Marvel Studios Film (05/04)
Untitled Marvel Studios Film (07/06)
Untitled DC Film (07/27)
Untitled Marvel Studios Film (11/02)
Untitled Star Wars film (12/14) *estimate*

Note that not all of these will get the LEGO treatment, but I am betting that a large portion will.

No guarantee of ant-man or captain america 3 sets, there wasn't any for thor 2 or captain america 2, I think avengers 2 and batman vs superman and star wars are pretty much a certainty though.

Would be interested to see if they do more pirates of the Caribbean sets, I have no information on them but I get the feeling the first lot didn't sell all that well.

Ninjago and lego movie 2 and star wars are a definites for sure

Experien

After seeing the new TMNT movie...I want the sets! But the problem is, I don't actually like the sets aside from maybe the Turtle Wagon.

Ponn

Banned
After seeing the new TMNT movie...I want the sets! But the problem is, I don't actually like the sets aside from maybe the Turtle Wagon.

If I hadn't already bought the animated Turtle Lair I might have picked up the movie version because that one looks nice and big for a Ninja Turtle display.

Lab coat scientist is a new print.

CMF female lab tech was a better figure in my opinion. At least that figure was smart enough to wear gloves when handling chemicals.

pic4CEFD0B906C3087A7DB59EF1D15EAC32.jpg

No guarantee of ant-man or captain america 3 sets, there wasn't any for thor 2 or captain america 2, I think avengers 2 and batman vs superman and star wars are pretty much a certainty though.

Although they aren't named/labeled as such, the Hulk Lab Smash and Captain America VS Hydra were the Marvel Lego sets that corresponded to Thor 2 and Cap 2 (just like how the current X-Men set isn't specifically a Days of Future Past set and the Spider-Trike VS Electro set just happened to come out at the same time as Amazing Spider-Man 2).

So while there likely won't be a "Lego Ant-Man" set as such, there will very probably be some kind of set with an Ant-Man mini-fig in it at some point next year.

Which I cannot wait for because dat helmet.

Rootbeer

Banned
Hoping the ant man set comes with him in two sizes :) minifig size and a tiny size. Hey, they can make a tiny Emperor Palpatine hologram so why not.

I am more excited about LEGO Ultron.

YES! When we were talking about what we hoped for in the new Avengers set I brought up Ultron, gonna be soooo slick. I wonder how they'll do his head? Just a regular head with a print? A helmet like Tony's over a blank head? A special head?

And of course it also brought up the eventual BigFig Thanos, HNNNNGGGG

Hoping the ant man set comes with him in two sizes :) minifig size and a tiny size. Hey, they can make a tiny Emperor Palpatine hologram so why not.

And a third big fig of him. Goliath sized.

FFFFFF YOU GUYSSSSSS now I'm gonna be sooooo pissed when they don't do this arrghhh

YES! When we were talking about what we hoped for in the new Avengers set I brought up Ultron, gonna be soooo slick. I wonder how they'll do his head? Just a regular head with a print? A helmet like Tony's over a blank head? A special head?

And of course it also brought up the eventual BigFig Thanos, HNNNNGGGG

FFFFFF YOU GUYSSSSSS now I'm gonna be sooooo pissed when they don't do this arrghhh

Ultron will have a custom mold for his head. Kinda like the Galaxy Squad bugs did. That is my guess.

Now I want them to make an UCS Ultron bust or something.

MisterNoisy

I would love a new one, but probably wont participate. I have so much to do in the next month now.

The greatest joy of all the MOC contests is seeing the crazy stuff that people come up with. It is inspiring.

I agree completely - I put out what I've built and want to win, but I'm really in it to see what everyone else comes up with, particularly when there are significant constraints. I'm terrible when building without either a definite goal/theme or a finite amount of parts.

I hate to ask, but is there a new contest on any time soon?

I just spent the best part of two days taking down and packing away my display and collection in readiness to move next month which is a shame, I will try to take part when it runs and hope it does as they have always been great fun.

At some point we need to do a Spaceship x3 based moc contest. That would be so awesome!

I just spent the best part of two days taking down and packing away my display and collection in readiness to move next month which is a shame, I will try to take part when it runs and hope it does as they have always been great fun.

At some point we need to do a Spaceship x3 based moc contest. That would be so awesome!

Man, a SPACESHIP! contest would be bonkers.

And hello, fellow LEGO GAF mover. Where are you moving from and where to?

Going from CT to KY myself.

Man, a SPACESHIP! contest would be bonkers.

And hello, fellow LEGO GAF mover. Where are you moving from and where to?

Going from CT to KY myself.

Not sure yet due to the flat (apartment) market here in London we will find a place within the last two weeks of our current lease but will be staying in the same area, maybe 2 miles max. The sad thing is no matter how far you go the packings the same right?

I've been thinking how best to move my parts collection and am paranoid about a box breaking or container lid coming off and a sea of Lego going down the street so I am bagging it all up in ziplock then boxing.

My take down list was less than yours I think but I'm getting there.

How are you packing up?

Not sure yet due to the flat (apartment) market here in London we will find a place within the last two weeks of our current lease but will be staying in the same area, maybe 2 miles max. The sad thing is no matter how far you go the packings the same right?

I've been thinking how best to move my parts collection and am paranoid about a box breaking or container lid coming off and a sea of Lego going down the street so I am bagging it all up in ziplock then boxing.

My take down list was less than yours I think but I'm getting there.

How are you packing up?

All the sets for display are in plastic bags (kinda sorted like a new set would be), then in another shopping bag tied up. I then have a bunch of those in a rubbermaid container, so even if anything spills, nothing will escape. I need another container for the rest of the sets I am taking down now.

The parts collection is in a ton of SortMasters and plastic food containers. I plan on taping each of them shut, then boxing them up. Basically seal everything off so nothing gets out.

No other packing done, but we only just got the start date for my wife's new job this afternoon. One month left to pack everything in this apartment up, then the 900 mile move down south. The good thing is that her company is paying for it all.

This weekend we are probably going to fly down and find an apartment. I am excited because we can afford a huge place down there, which means a probable dedicated LEGO room for me. :)

I'm all in for a Spaceship contest. I know it could be problematic because it's a rather expensive set, but I'm sure the entries would be absolutely epic :)

They would be Awesome! I am going to pack my Spaceshipx3 so I can get to it easily just in case. As a service to UK Lego GAF smyths have the set for £64 at the moment which is down from £80. Not too bad.

Oh, yes. I know. We eyed some four bedroom places online. My wife says that is overkill, but I told her one could be a game/hobby room, and the other an office. She is warming to the idea.

Excited to go home hunting this weekend.

I wish we were in a similar position but prices here are not awesome! We'll be lucky to go from 1 bed to 2 bed.

I heard London is even worse than Paris in that respect. I can't even begin to imagine how that is possible :(

I don't know prices in Paris but I know the city a bit. In London we are currently 15 minutes by tube from the centre and cheap 1 beds are circa £1000 a month. It is so not awesome.

At this rate I might be able to have a dedicated Lego room within say 20 years..... If I'm lucky. Or if we move further out but I am an urban creature.

Anyway, update on the Kaneda bike book search, I think I have secured one from a Chinese Lego store put to me by the authors. I hope to get started sourcing parts soon.

Rootbeer

Banned
anyone know when friends animals series 5 polybags are coming out? Did they come out Aug 1st? I have not seen any in the USA yet.

Rhaegar

Just finished Bricklinking the parts for the SDCC Batmobile set (minus minifigs, which I already had). Somewhere around 140 pieces give or take and had to split them up into 4 orders due to a few of the pieces being more scarce. As a result, shipping killed me a bit and the whole endeavor will end up costing just under $30. I guess it's better than the $200 people are asking on ebay for the real deal at least...

I'll post pictures when everything arrives and I build it!

wetwired

So I got my first negative feedback as a buyer on Bricklink, I ordered some parts on Feburary 17th and paid for them on the 18th. I messaged the seller on March the 3rd asking if the item had been sent with the Paypal transaction ID.

He replied saying he somehow overlooked the payment and would send them ASAP. I received the items on the 30th of March, over a month after ordering. Everything was intact so I gave a Neutral feedback of "Slow to post but otherwise perfect order"

His response was to give me negative feedback with "problem customer big waring !!!!!!!!"

WTF

So I got my first negative feedback as a buyer on Bricklink, I ordered some parts on Feburary 17th and paid for them on the 18th. I messaged the seller on March the 3rd asking if the item had been sent with the Paypal transaction ID.

He replied saying he somehow overlooked the payment and would send them ASAP. I received the items on the 30th of March, over a month after ordering. Everything was intact so I gave a Neutral feedback of "Slow to post but otherwise perfect order"

His response was to give me negative feedback with "problem customer big waring !!!!!!!!"

WTF
That sucks.
1 of x shouldn't be too bad though.
Maybe he doesn't like Ghostbusters?

Fowler

I wish we were in a similar position but prices here are not awesome! We'll be lucky to go from 1 bed to 2 bed.

Hong Kong is even worse than London or Paris! But somehow I managed to convince my girlfriend that we don't need a guest bedroom and turned that room into a little games/LEGO room. It's TINY -- there's honestly space for only one chair in there -- but it's a dedicated LEGO space, and that's good enough for me :)

Daffy Duck

I bought Benny's Spaceship, Emmet's Construct- Mech and the ECTO 1 on Tuesday.

My boys are loving playing with it. Need to find somewhere to store the stuff now.

I've also got my mum hunting out a massive container with all my old Lego in it, so hopefully she'll find it and I'll have some long lost cousins for Benny, along with some space sets.

Fumoffu

Neo Member
Contacted a Lego Rep here in Australia about the Bat Tumbler:

It is great that you eagerly waiting for the LEGO® set 76023 The Tumbler to be launched.
LEGO® VIP members have the chance to take part in our VIP early access promotion. That means you can actually purchase the set from the 18th of August 2014. This promotion should apply for all VIP countries including Australia. So it will only be 11 more days to go.

Cannot wait! :)

theaface

Built my Exo Suit last night. The end result looks great, but I didn't really enjoy the fiddly build. I think I'm more inclined towards modulars and things like that. I finally understand what people have been saying about the shoulder plates - they're dreadful and prone to falling apart if you breath on them the wrong way. Think I'll try and get a couple of rods to make them more sturdy.

Also disappointed to have this be the first set to have a missing piece. I was short of a 1x2 plate w. 1 knob, and wound up with an extra silver 1x2 grill instead. I've already submitted a request for the missing piece, but it's just a shame when things like that happen.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Not a lot of Technic folks here, but if you are at ALL interested in exploring the theme, the new 42023 Construction Crew set is fantastic. I spent the past 3-4 days building it (one vehicle a night) and enjoyed the build a lot.

It's a great throwback to the simple days of building - no insane gearboxes, no over the top features that nobody cares about, great color and part selection...They also feel like they'd go great in a town setup if anyone is into that. And while the builds are all quite simple, there's still so much form and function going on. It really is a great set for Technic and System builders alike.

10940233904_9d5eda526a_c.jpg

Pic stolen from Eurobricks

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Not a lot of Technic folks here, but if you are at ALL interested in exploring the theme, the new 42023 Construction Crew set is fantastic. I spent the past 3-4 days building it (one vehicle a night) and enjoyed the build a lot.

It's a great throwback to the simple days of building - no insane gearboxes, no over the top features that nobody cares about, great color and part selection...They also feel like they'd go great in a town setup if anyone is into that. And while the builds are all quite simple, there's still so much form and function going on. It really is a great set for Technic and System builders alike.

10940233904_9d5eda526a_c.jpg

Pic stolen from Eurobricks

I've been eyeing that set because I really liked building the Mini backhoe loader:

41906J9i89L.jpg

Top Bottom