• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

ghostmind

Help GAF help

Someone returned a VW Camper today. I feel like it's not something we're gonna get in anymore, especially now that the Mini is out. With my discount it'd be $60... I kinda like the Camper more than the Mini, and I just moved into a nice big office at my other job and my office-mate/boss thinks I should get it but for some reason I'm hesitant to pull the trigger.

I should get it, right? I don't know why I'm having trouble convincing myself to get it, I've heard everyone sing its praise and it sure looks amazing. Fffffff... why is this causing me pause?

v2xYR8x.gif

H3XwCdO.gif

dnqekcZ.gif

OMjvOnK.gif

Help GAF help

Someone returned a VW Camper today. I feel like it's not something we're gonna get in anymore, especially now that the Mini is out. With my discount it'd be $60... I kinda like the Camper more than the Mini, and I just moved into a nice big office at my other job and my office-mate/boss thinks I should get it but for some reason I'm hesitant to pull the trigger.

I should get it, right? I don't know why I'm having trouble convincing myself to get it, I've heard everyone sing its praise and it sure looks amazing. Fffffff... why is this causing me pause?

With your discount, I would buy it in a heartbeat. Get it or risk paying for it later when it's out of production.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
That already looks massive. And not even through book 1? Awesome.

Yeah - albeit, books 4 and 5 are the cab and boom respectively...But this thing will be huge. I'm trying to figure out where I'm going to put it.

E: And yeah, buy that Camper. There are very few large sets that went DOWN in value when they went OOP. If nothing else, buy it and hold onto it for a bit. Decide after you have it for that price.

Eklipsis

I feel silly opening them just to shove them in a box....so instead I shove the bags in a box. I know, it doesn't make sense. I have a problem opening polybags so I have a few boxes filled with them.

I have a box for "exclusive figs I plan on opening soon":

It's gotten to the point where I'm usually buying two of every polybag and not even opening the first. Dumb. Need to break the habit.

On a totally unrelated note, my Ideas sets arrived today! My daughter doesn't know we got the Research set so she'll be thrilled. I'm planning on building the Exo Suit when I get back from Nevada next weekend.

so jealous especially the hulk lol...i'd build a platform or something to display them on

iuuk

So, the rumours of a limited first run were true, but LEGO will be making more exo-suits? At least going by this e-mail I just got.

We’re sorry you haven’t received any emails from us about your order. Due to a hiccup in our system, a number of emails haven’t been sent in the past few days. The LEGO Shop team is working very hard to solve the problem and hope to have it fixed soon. You can always find out the status of your LEGO Shop orders online by visiting:

http://shop.lego.com/account/orderStatus.jsp

The Exo Suit has proven to be a very popular set and we’ve had a lot more orders than we expected. We don’t have any in stock at the moment, and we’re working hard to make more.

So it looks like people (i.e. I) got worried for nothing, I guess. Maybe they'll use the new mold for the robot arms this time.

Daffy Duck

Excuse the poor potato picture. My new Lego which had been played with and muddled up, I had to enlist my Micro Managers to restore order.

:D

wetwired

Batcave update, taken with batpotato.

I've done the base and arches for the background which will be obscured on both sides by rock, that's the next thing to do and will probably take the most time. I'm also not sure how big it will all need to be and if I have enough to cover 3 walls, I may have to cut it back to just 2 walls, the left and back (arch) side.

I've had to move the 2nd black platform back a bit just to fit on the table for the photo but it should be in front of the other one, which will have the batsuit in the glass cabinet and a little batcomputer.

I plan to have at least some real LED lights spilling out from the archways and hopefully be able to do the suspended lights that sit above the main platform, "The Bat" will sit on the other one. With the Tumbler sitting down in the water below.

There should be a waterfall on the front side but I'm moving it to the back wall to the right of the arches so it's all visible in one angle for the expo.

WIP2.jpg

wetwired

Looks great! Did you take down your Turtles building to make that wall?

On an unrelated note....

So I tried time-lapsing a set I bought last week. It was fun, but I need to adjust my lighting and frame speed. Awesome set-super happy with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXJkPdYf5Xo

yeah I disassembled all that stuff last year, the plan was to rebuild it more modularly with some more custom modulars but with work I haven't had time so it's just the batcave this time.

That AT-AT looks much smaller than I expected

It's a wonderful set well worth its MSRP, you should definitely get it. Especially with your discount :)

The VW van is something that I have wanted since the first time I set foot in the lego store and saw it. I had the money saved for it and the day I was going to pick it up, my wife told me that we were pregnant. Needless to say... my money did not go the the VW van. I asked for it for Christmas and my 40th birthday and di not get it.

I have 60 bucks now... and if I could get that set for 60 bucks I would jump on it soooooo quick (you have no idea). To me it is one of the coolest sets... as I absolutely love VW's.

Xater

Help GAF help

For that price I'd absolutely pick up the VW van.

Rootbeer

Banned
wet:

which batcave are you basing it on? nolan trilogy? I'd love to build a more comic accurate batcave myself.

but then... i also want to build an ultimate turtle lair. hard to do both... on a budget :p

btw where can i see pics of your turtle stuff you took down

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Recent order! My Exos were supposed to be out of stock until September but they arrived yesterday- still waiting for the actual order email. Gonna build one tonight and save the other for later/selling/vaulting/gifting.

This is the worst redesign in a long series of awful comic redesigns but bloody hell I want this as a genuine minifig. All of the cover variants in fact- Lego needs to step up on both DC and Marvel for more than just Batman/Spiderman sets.

Help GAF help

You definitely need to pick it up, especially for that price, such a fun set that has a ton of character and so many things inside it.

Dragoshi1

Wow, just went to my local Target and they restocked on EVERYTHING!

Every new star wars set, lego movie, marvel, DC, Chima, ect, you name it they got it!

Except for Exosuit and that other Lego Ideas set, though.

Fowler

I feel silly opening them just to shove them in a box....so instead I shove the bags in a box. I know, it doesn't make sense. I have a problem opening polybags so I have a few boxes filled with them.

It's gotten to the point where I'm usually buying two of every polybag and not even opening the first. Dumb. Need to break the habit.

Are you keeping the second ones to sell? Cuz I'd love to work out some sort of deal for Hoth Han Solo... :)

Help GAF help

BUY IT! Still one of the best sets still available. Not only is the build utterly fantastic, but it is one of the best display pieces as well. Very attention getting and wonderful.

On a totally unrelated note, my Ideas sets arrived today! My daughter doesn't know we got the Research set so she'll be thrilled. I'm planning on building the Exo Suit when I get back from Nevada next weekend.

I do the same with polybags usually. Just put them in a box and get to the main sets I bought to get the figure. Martian Manhunter was the first mini fig promo in a while. I cannot remember what I bought to get it though, LOL. It might have been Simpsons House at the Danbury grand opening, but that was later in the month. I remember getting something early for it.

Batcave update, taken with batpotato.

I've done the base and arches for the background which will be obscured on both sides by rock, that's the next thing to do and will probably take the most time. I'm also not sure how big it will all need to be and if I have enough to cover 3 walls, I may have to cut it back to just 2 walls, the left and back (arch) side.

I've had to move the 2nd black platform back a bit just to fit on the table for the photo but it should be in front of the other one, which will have the batsuit in the glass cabinet and a little batcomputer.

I plan to have at least some real LED lights spilling out from the archways and hopefully be able to do the suspended lights that sit above the main platform, "The Bat" will sit on the other one. With the Tumbler sitting down in the water below.

There should be a waterfall on the front side but I'm moving it to the back wall to the right of the arches so it's all visible in one angle for the expo.

WIP2.jpg
Fantastic work. To nobody's surprise. :)

What's the easiest way to find the parts from an LDD file on Bricklink?

I have the BOM in an Excel spreadsheet, but don't know what to do after that. Do I have to manually find each piece, or is there some way to upload the excel file?

Went to two different Lego Stores today hoping to find another Exo Suit, or the Research Institute. Both of them had neither set, and the one store told me that the Research Institute is rumored to be out of print by late October/early November.

The one store is supposed to get another shipment of the R.I. the grand total of units? 4 measly sets.

Wanted to get it for the GF, we had it in our hands last Friday when it released and put it back because we figured the Exo Suit would be impossible to find, but Lego would do enough to keep the R.I. available since it's supposed to appeal to the young girl demographic.

neonglow

Went to two different Lego Stores today hoping to find another Exo Suit, or the Research Institute. Both of them had neither set, and the one store told me that the Research Institute is rumored to be out of print by late October/early November.

The one store is supposed to get another shipment of the R.I. the grand total of units? 4 measly sets.

Wanted to get it for the GF, we had it in our hands last Friday when it released and put it back because we figured the Exo Suit would be impossible to find, but Lego would do enough to keep the R.I. available since it's supposed to appeal to the young girl demographic.

Unless it's a big movie license (BTTF or Ghostbusters), it's starting to look like LEGO Ideas sets are limited.

Help GAF help

Hmm...today isn't April 1st so I guess you are being serious. Buy it! Worst case is you have buyers remorse and sell it for a good profit once that set is no longer available. Oh you can't sell it. I guess give it as a gift to a friend then that independently sells it and is thankful for it so he gives you some money.

Recent order! My Exos were supposed to be out of stock until September but they arrived yesterday- still waiting for the actual order email. Gonna build one tonight and save the other for later/selling/vaulting/gifting.

This is the worst redesign in a long series of awful comic redesigns but bloody hell I want this as a genuine minifig. All of the cover variants in fact- Lego needs to step up on both DC and Marvel for more than just Batman/Spiderman sets.

LEGO has been doing quite OK with Marvel on the different characters and variations. It's the DC side that LEGO needs to step up.

Ghostbusters HQ reaches 10k supporters.

I think Wetwired's looked better from the outside, but this one adds an interior.

Very cool stuff, but it will never be released as an Ideas set. It is far too large.

Cool that it made 10k, but it will never get made. Scale is too large.

Ponn

Banned
Amazon rep wouldn't give me a discount refund so looks like sending Trevi Fountain back. Bummer, it looked really good, lots of translucent blue pieces.

On a brighter note looks like Joker Steamroller was available for a short time today for $40 and managed to nab one before they went back up so everything has seemed to work out. Will pit UCS Tumbler against Joker Steamroller in Sept.

Should I bother trying to get a Green T-Rex or just hold off for maybe JW?

If you can get the T-Rex at a very good price (which I would be surprised if you could), I would. It's almost certain that the JW LEGO dinosaurs will be different (printing at the very least). The question is if they will use the same moulds or new ones.

Man, even though I'm attempting to break the "don't buy anything a month and a half before your birthday rule" My gf set in place, I can't find that damn Exo Suit or Research Institute. I see the Exo Suit is out of stock but the Research Institute is sold out online, does this mean that one is gone for good?

Apologies if that is answered somewhere earlier in the thread. I just can't imagine such a positive set would be so limited.

Any insight will help before I hit eBay.

Kyari

I'm not going to lie you guys, I was kind of skeptical of the Exo Suit originally. It looked neat and it was a cool concept but something in the back of my mind was like ehhh....

But I picked it up today and it is amazing. I am going to have to go back to the lego store and pick up another couple of them. I want an entire army of 1980something space men and women.

Eklipsis

Any insight will help before I hit eBay.

I'm not sure, I've only order from s@h once and it was the exo suit and ghostbusters set but the exo suit is on backorder. I ordered the day it was released and doesn't give me an estimated delivery. Others have found it at Lego store but I don't have one near me.

Well I did it. The overwhelming positivity for the VW Bus convinced me. I think my hesitation on it is because I've never gone out of my way to buy a Lego set that wasn't like a minifig scale thing? In fact I actively avoid getting stuff that isn't minifig scale since I love setting up scenes and dioramas. But the $60 price tag, immaculate shape of the box for a return, reaction to it here (GAF has yet to steer me wrong) and the uncertainty of it being available for much longer, plus the fact that I DO think it's a sweet looking set... it's sitting in my car waiting to be built.

So my haul today was:

VW Camper
Arctic Batman

Galaxy Squad Swarm Interceptor for a friend's son

Ecto-1 for my girlfriend(mmmaaaybe)
Microfighter Millennium Falcon for my GF

Should I bother trying to get a Green T-Rex or just hold off for maybe JW?
Green T-Rex is like $60 minimum. I'm so mad but I'm gonna hold off too in hopes of a Jurassic Park/World reprint. I'd MUCH rather spend $60-70 and get an entire set plus a Rex than $60 for just the Dino.

I picked up that vintage 90s lot and I'll sort it out tomorrow. I also picked up another craigslist lot with about 30 recent sets including lots of City (police, fire, and a space center), Spongebob, Indiana Jones, and more. Almost all of the boxes and manuals were included. There were also some CMF and kid made MOCs that I love.

So...I said I'd swear off of Lego for a while after exo-suit and I picked up another 60 used sets...

ghostmind

iBKs5N1.jpg

10245 Santa’s Workshop, 883 Pieces
US $69.99, CA $89.99, AU $119.99, DE 69.99€, UK £59.99, DK 649.00 DKK

Have festive family fun building Santa’s Workshop!

Enjoy the magic of Christmas with Santa’s Workshop, a festive addition to the LEGO Winter Village Series! Gather your family around the Christmas tree to build this enchanting winter wonderland. Help the elves make the toys, feed the reindeer and help Santa load up his magical sleigh.

Santa’s wife has baked cookies and the clock tower shows it’s nearly time for Santa to deliver the presents—all at the most wonderful time of the year! Includes 6 minifigures: Santa with red gift sack, Mrs. Claus with cookie tray and 4 elves with pointy ears and hats.

The enchanting LEGO Creator Santa’s Workshop model is full of festive magic and includes a beautiful sleigh, reindeer and a Christmas tree.

Includes 6 minifigures: Santa with red gift sack, Mrs. Claus with cookie tray and 4 elves with pointy ears and hats
Features beautiful sleigh with red and gold detail and dark green padding, 4 reindeer and a baby reindeer, building with detailed interior, clock tower and Christmas tree
Building features stained glass window and Christmas lights on roof
Accessories include: 4 wrapped presents in assorted sizes and 4 toys including a blue classic spaceship, yellow car and a pink wand
Also includes North Pole sign, Santa’s Workshop sign and a summer holiday picture of Santa and his wife
Gather everyone around the Christmas tree!
Help Santa take off in his sleigh!
Family dual-building experience: includes separate brick sets with instructions for adults and children aged 8 and over
Santa’s Workshop measures over 6” (16cm) high, 3” (8cm) deep and 9” (24cm) wide
--

It'll be available for VIP Early Access starting on September 17th with global availability beginning October 1st.

Designer Video:

zSSX1lh.jpg

W9EiFK6.jpg

nJ4QSkz.jpg

ZLOrh0j.jpg

ss25O6S.jpg

Top Bottom