• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

Rootbeer

Banned
Sorry :) awesome deal... kinda wish i'd bought it so I can combine them. oh well.

live tweeting here: https://twitter.com/bricksbythebay

Bricks by the Bay @bricksbythebay · 46m

Chris McKay, Director of the LEGO Movie 2: “There’s going to be 3 to 4 more LEGO Movies” #BBTB2014
Bricks by the Bay ‏@bricksbythebay 40m

Chris McKay, Director of #TheLEGOMovie 2: “We’re working to see if we can work in more real LEGO bricks (vs CGI) into the sequel” #BBTB2014

Fowler

Went to the local LEGO mall and grabbed a bunch of minifigs. Haul!

(I prefer to buy loose minifigs because I don't have space for full sets anymore!)

BunmZ05CUAA56yR.jpg

Picked up a pretty random set of stuff...

- The Hulk is the last Avenger I need
- Spider-Man because you can't have a superhero collection without Spider-Man
- Jack Nicholson-ish Joker just looks cool
- Star-Lord and Gamora because I loved Guardians of the Galaxy and they look the best of the characters; I don't think the other look very good as minifigs (Star-Lord was virtually sold out, I found the last one almost by accident!)
- Always wanted that big Lord Business
- Hoth Han Solo because, why not?
- Shaq is my favourite NBA player (and he follows me on Twitter)
- Zidane is NOT my favourite football player, but it was such an oddity that I almost had to pick him up
- Radagast and Nebula are for my girlfriend, who loves Doctor Who (they're both played by Dr Who actors)
- Could never find Computer Programmer so glad to grab him (and he was cheap)
- The random reddish haired minifig that kinda looks like Ron Weasley but I don't think it's Ron and minifig parts in front are for my experiments in building a Scott Pilgrim minifig; he was cheap, and I got him for parts (the hair, specifically)

Sadly, they don't have the female research institute set yet. Really wanted to pick that up as a present.

neonglow

Went to the local LEGO mall and grabbed a bunch of minifigs. Haul!

(I prefer to buy loose minifigs because I don't have space for full sets anymore!)

Picked up a pretty random set of stuff...

- The Hulk is the last Avenger I need
- Spider-Man because you can't have a superhero collection without Spider-Man
- Jack Nicholson-ish Joker just looks cool
- Star-Lord and Gamora because I loved Guardians of the Galaxy and they look the best of the characters; I don't think the other look very good as minifigs (Star-Lord was virtually sold out, I found the last one almost by accident!)
- Always wanted that big Lord Business
- Hoth Han Solo because, why not?
- Shaq is my favourite NBA player (and he follows me on Twitter)
- Zidane is NOT my favourite football player, but it was such an oddity that I almost had to pick him up
- Radagast and Nebula are for my girlfriend, who loves Doctor Who (they're both played by Dr Who actors)
- Could never find Computer Programmer so glad to grab him (and he was cheap)
- The random reddish haired minifig that kinda looks like Ron Weasley but I don't think it's Ron and minifig parts in front are for my experiments in building a Scott Pilgrim minifig; he was cheap, and I got him for parts (the hair, specifically)

Sadly, they don't have the female research institute set yet. Really wanted to pick that up as a present.

Cool pickups. How much did this shopping spree cost you?

I am not really into LEGO military stuff, but this is awesome. It's LEGO military flair!

BrickForge Introduces RiGGED System
http://www.brickforge.com/brickforge-introduces-rigged-system/

That reminds me, the TMNT Movie sets are super useful for military stuff mainly because all the foot soldiers are all in military gear. I wanna get a ton of the soldiers but don't want any of the sets.

Side note: after months of looking and losing a lot of money and time in the process, I've finally moved into my new home with my fiancé and her daughter (she loves Lego Friends). My fiancé n I went and picked up a dresser and she said it's best for my Lego sets. They've been packed forever so it'll be nice to get them out again :)

On an additional note, I will most likely be financially tight for the next few months but will most likely have even better income than before to feed the need /palpatine

Fowler

Cool pickups. How much did this shopping spree cost you?

About US$130. That total kinda shocked me in hindsight; that's an insane average of $10 a fig. When you're buying individual figs from tons of different shops you don't really see the big picture! But it's still way cheaper than getting the sets, and Shaq and Zidane were expensive so they dragged the average up.

(Honestly, even if it's only a little cheaper than having the sets... at this point I don't even have space to store boxes of sets that I haven't built yet. HK apartments are too small. That picture is our dining table -- and under it you can catch the corner of the Sydney Opera House I got as a birthday present!)

So happy I got Star-Lord. That was the #1 on my list. Looked everywhere without success. Went back to the first shop to pick up Hulk, and it turns out he had one last Star-Lord, but it'd fallen so it wasn't visible from the front of the case.

About US$130. That total kinda shocked me in hindsight; that's an insane average of $10 a fig. When you're buying individual figs from tons of different shops you don't really see the big picture! But it's still way cheaper than getting the sets, and Shaq and Zidane were expensive so they dragged the average up.

(Honestly, even if it's only a little cheaper than having the sets... at this point I don't even have space to store boxes of sets that I haven't built yet. HK apartments are too small. That picture is our dining table -- and under it you can catch the corner of the Sydney Opera House I got as a birthday present!)

So happy I got Star-Lord. That was the #1 on my list. Looked everywhere without success. Went back to the first shop to pick up Hulk, and it turns out he had one last Star-Lord, but it'd fallen so it wasn't visible from the front of the case.

Yeah I've seen little places like those at malls before here in the States and minifigs are always crazy high...-_-

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Minor 42009 update! Finished book 1. Going to go grill some chicken and attempt to take down book 2 tonight. There are 6 books in this set, not 5. Insane.

Also, I appreciate the inventive use of pieces in System, but gear boxes and the way the mechanical functions work in a Technic set are simply beyond me. This is so damn fascinating to see these gears and rods line up to do what they do. A+ to the guys who can rock Technic MOC's.

IMG_20140809_161647.jpg

IMG_20140809_161938.jpg

Ravek

Banned
Minor 42009 update! Finished book 1. Going to go grill some chicken and attempt to take down book 2 tonight. There are 6 books in this set, not 5. Insane.

Also, I appreciate the inventive use of pieces in System, but gear boxes and the way the mechanical functions work in a Technic set are simply beyond me. This is so damn fascinating to see these gears and rods line up to do what they do. A+ to the guys who can rock Technic MOC's.

IMG_20140809_161647.jpg

IMG_20140809_161938.jpg

They must have enigneers or mechanics on the team.

This reminds me that Mega Bloks has the Sponge Bob license now. It seems they did a better job of it than LEGO's old sets. The sets are also nicely priced compared to MB's Halo/COD line. The set below is only $20.

91XrO0KyP8L._SL500_.jpg

71-ol7yT1SL._SL500_.jpg

LEGO versions

81xIsDY4pNL._SL500_.jpg

61urtIvS5rL._SL500_.jpg

But only the Lego set has doors that are worth $25 each ;)

This reminds me that Mega Bloks has the Sponge Bob license now. It seems they did a better job of it than LEGO's old sets. The sets are also nicely priced compared to MB's Halo/COD line. The set below is only $20.

91XrO0KyP8L._SL500_.jpg

71-ol7yT1SL._SL500_.jpg

That's news to me. I'm a sucker for LEGO compatible minifigs. I'll probably pick up some of those for the minifigs. Can't wait to see the Squidward one.

Mega Bloks is a lot more flexible in creating new specialized moulds. I like that LEGO tries to stick close to the iconic standard minifig, but it obviously limits how close they can come to the original IP.

EDIT:

Ah, the Mega Bloks website has all the new sets.
http://www.megabloks.com/en-us/shop/construction-toys/spongebob

I see they are doing blind packs too.
http://www.megabloks.com/en-us/shop/construction-toys/spongebob/micro-action-figures-series-1-94600

HAHAHAHAHAHHAAHA, apparently I have competition in Ohio for black lego bricks. I called down to Cincinnati to see what they had and I told the guy I was building an Orthanc moc and he was like, "are you the guy whose been buying out boxes of our black bricks?" I was like "wat". He's like, "There's a guy down here building the exact same thing, I thought maybe you were him." Soooo shiiiii, wonder if I should be posting my build progress anymore, lol. I still will, it's not a competition and besides it is documentation of my build. I may however set it to private for now and only provide sneak peaks as I want to display it at some conventions in this region.

Edit: so yeah, Iike I requested before, if you have access to black bricks at your local LEGO store and live in the USA or even Canada, let me know and check if they are a type I need for my build. Basically any 1x? sizes as well as many types of plates and specialty bricks. There are a few types of black bricks I have plenty of so check with me first.

The LEGO store by my work just got black 1x2 modified bricks with the grill.
http://www.bricklink.com/search.asp?itemID=232&colorID=11

They had some black 1x2 bricks also, but it was very low.

That's news to me. I'm a sucker for LEGO compatible minifigs. I'll probably pick up some of those for the minifigs. Can't wait to see the Squidward one.

Mega Bloks is a lot more flexible in creating new specialized moulds. I like that LEGO tries to stick close to the iconic standard minifig, but it obviously limits how close they can come to the original IP.

EDIT:

http://www.megabloks.com/en-us/shop/construction-toys/spongebob/micro-action-figures-series-1-94600
Are they forbidden from just making a normal looking SpongeBob and Patrick? Not one of them in any of the sets or blind packs has just a normal face or clothes.

ghostmind

Mega Blox has improved markedly in recent years. Their Call of Duty sets have been extremely popular and their Halo theme was just updated with better articulated figures and parts with improved design standards. If you check out JANG's videos, you will see that they have become a legit contender to LEGO, and are a viable alternative for themes (such as military) where LEGO refuses to tread.

The only non-Lego stuff I'm down for are K'Nex, their figures are on another level of quality and detail. I love their Mario and Angry Birds (shamefully) figures and the Plants VS Zombies figs look amazing too. I actually just got the Yellow Submarine for my dad on clearance for $18 at TRU, sub opens into a stage, comes with all the Beatles, and two Blue Meanies. Kinda impressed to be honest.

Mega Blocks, I think I have some older tanks of theirs. Don't really care for the figures but it IS nice to have some actual army stuff compatible with Lego.

Kree-o, though. Garbage. Building Grimlock felt disgusting. Like the actual plastic quality and the way they "slide" into each other instead if snap. Blergh.

Fear not! The LEGO Exo Suit is not a limited run [News]

For you entrepreneurial types, you can sell your 2nd one at a higher value risking that you'll be able to get more later.

Mega Blox has improved markedly in recent years. Their Call of Duty sets have been extremely popular and their Halo theme was just updated with better articulated figures and parts with improved design standards. If you check out JANG's videos, you will see that they have become a legit contender to LEGO, and are a viable alternative for themes (such as military) where LEGO refuses to tread.

Mega Bloks minifigs are decent, but in term of quality it's still obvious LEGO is still easily king. The quality is very reasonable though and Mega Bloks isn't afraid to make whatever moulds are needed to make it closer to the source material.

IMO Mega Bloks bricks still suck. It's like they have 2 types of bricks. Those that suck completely (i.e. the Smurf bricks) and those that don't suck so much (i.e. Warcraft bricks).

Competition is always good for the consumer and I agree 100% Mega Bloks is very smart to do military stuff where LEGO won't go. Kre-o does some military stuff, but I'm not sure how much traction they are getting.

The only non-Lego stuff I'm down for are K'Nex, their figures are on another level of quality and detail. I love their Mario and Angry Birds (shamefully) figures and the Plants VS Zombies figs look amazing too. I actually just got the Yellow Submarine for my dad on clearance for $18 at TRU, sub opens into a stage, comes with all the Beatles, and two Blue Meanies. Kinda impressed to be honest.

Mega Blocks, I think I have some older tanks of theirs. Don't really care for the figures but it IS nice to have some actual army stuff compatible with Lego.

Kree-o, though. Garbage. Building Grimlock felt disgusting. Like the actual plastic quality and the way they "slide" into each other instead if snap. Blergh.

Kre-o design sucks for the brick built stuff. I've only built 1 small Optimus Prime set though. The bricks seem decent to me. They feel cheap, but they click together better than the Mega Bloks I've used.

rxRig12.jpg

A Birthday gift..

Very nice. I swear I've seen that photo before. Did the gifter get that from a regular LEGO photographer?

Ryuuroden

EDIT:

The LEGO store by my work just got black 1x2 modified bricks with the grill.
http://www.bricklink.com/search.asp?itemID=232&colorID=11

They had some black 1x2 bricks also, but it was very low.

if you could get a full container of the 1x2 black bricks, I would be interested, or at least a small container.

I know this is a good vibe thread, but I always find interest in articles like this.

How Lego lost its innocence

I agree about the lack of just bucket of brick sets, but in defense of LEGO, they do make them and I strongly believe you don't see them much in stores because they don't sell well. Who is to blame, the parents that buy the sets the kids want or LEGO?

A great accompanying article that should go with the above article is, "How LEGO Almost Lost its Business".

Woorloog

Banned

Zidane minifig... You know, i'm pretty sure i have it. There were these football legos years ago, with these sort of spring launcher, err, kicker things. Was kind of neat actually. Didn't have the full football field, just some small set, kind of a penalty kick set i think?

ghostmind

I know this is a good vibe thread, but I always find interest in articles like this.

How Lego lost its innocence

I agree about the lack of just bucket of brick sets, but in defense of LEGO, they do make them and I strongly believe you don't see them much in stores because they don't sell well. Who is to blame, the parents that buy the sets the kids want or LEGO?

A great accompanying article that should go with the above article is, "How LEGO Almost Lost its Business".

That article reads like a shell for the Shell "scandal" that Greenpeace has created. I especially like this line:

That a petrol brand, despite also being an age-restricted product, has made it on to a popular children’s toy is scandalous.

Uhhh...

0Tz3q8x.jpg

I had this set - 35 years ago. Shell (and Exxon) have always been a part of the LEGO universe.

Since 1992, almost all of the sets that deal with petroleum/oil use the LEGO-created "Octan" company (headed by one Lord Business). The Shell usage amounts to six promo sets that have been sold in Shell gas stations since 2012, and bear the Shell and Ferrari logos.

The author needs to do her research, instead of relying on a Google search for "recent LEGO controversies".

Good news about the Exo-Suit, really hope the Research Set gets more too.

That a petrol brand, despite also being an age-restricted product, has made it on to a popular children�s toy is scandalous.

Uh yeah, ok. Gas is an "age restricted product". That's probably the stupidest fucking thing I've read in quite a while.

Let's not call out any other companies, like Mattel, that make toys with gas logos on them. Also it's not like Chevron had an entire line of toy cars based on their animated talking car commercials.

Someone keep a look out, I think my eyes are about to roll out of my head.

ghostmind

Speaking of which, I hope 2015 brings us a new CITY service station. I missed out on the 2007 one, and the tiny gas pump that came with the 2012 parking garage does not count.

I am looking forward to the return of the Construction subtheme though!

Been traveling all day for my birthday. Hoping some Lego goodness awaits at the office when I get back home.
Wife and I are in KY trying to find a place to live. Going to be a whirlwind weekend.

gerg

Uh yeah, ok. Gas is an "age restricted product". That's probably the stupidest fucking thing I've read in quite a while.

AFAIK, in the UK you have to be over 16 to buy petrol. Given that you can't drive unless you're over 17, either, calling petrol an "age-restricted product" seems eminently reasonable.

Let's not call out any other companies, like Mattel, that make toys with gas logos on them. Also it's not like Chevron had an entire line of toy cars based on their animated talking car commercials.

I'll make sure to bring up the Yorkshire Ripper the next time I'm on trial for murder. Hopefully the judge will be more lenient on me as a result.

AFAIK, in the UK you have to be over 16 to buy petrol. Given that you can't drive unless you're over 17, either, calling petrol an "age-restricted product" seems eminently reasonable.

I'll make sure to bring up the Yorkshire Ripper the next time I'm on trial for murder. Hopefully the judge will be more lenient on me as a result.
That isn't exactly the point I was making, forgive me for not being clear. Here in the US, you have to be 16 to get a license, so it's an "age restricted product" here too. I just think calling it that is fucking stupid beyond belief because that illicits the thought of actual age restricted things that should not be in children's toys such as drinking, weaponry, or drugs. Not buying gas.

I think you missed my point entirely on the Mattel and Chevron thing. You can't just single Lego out if you're poo-pooing toys for kids that are marketed via gas companies. There are dozens of others, let's not pretend that Lego is some kind of big bad here.

My point in general is that the article is alarmist tripe.

ghostmind

I imagine cars are age-restricted products as well, since you require a license to drive one.

Perhaps we should ban all matchbox, hot wheels, etc. Not to mention all of the clothing and other products that bear automobile manufacturer or racing team logos.

Greenpeace's latest scandal is sensationalist fluff, targeting a currently popular product/company that is often in the media. That's how they roll.

IMG_20140809_161647.jpg

IMG_20140809_161938.jpg

No, nooooo~~~ you're making me crave technic again.

Fear not! The LEGO Exo Suit is not a limited run [News]

For you entrepreneurial types, you can sell your 2nd one at a higher value risking that you'll be able to get more later.

Yesss..... Now I can sell my second one for more money and have enough savings to buy even more lego sets..... *maniacal laugh*

They should try themed buckets -- say, for Galaxy Squad, they'd have a "human bucket" with 15-20 minifigs (3 or 5 of each color); an assortment of pieces/accessories used for the human stuff in all the sets; no stickers; and no instructions. Then a "bug bucket" with the same stuff, but for the bug side. The City theme could have individual buckets for Police, Fire, etc. Offer a large piece count (at least 1500) but price them at $100 max since there's no money spent on instructions and stuff.

I'd buy tons of buckets like that.
If I had money. ;_;

Do you guys think the research institute and exosuit will be around for a bit? Or should I start trying harder to get them NOW?

I rushed for back to the future and Ghostbusters and those have been readily available so I didn't rush on the latest two :/

ghostmind

Do you guys think the research institute and exosuit will be around for a bit? Or should I start trying harder to get them NOW?

I rushed for back to the future and Ghostbusters and those have been readily available so I didn't rush on the latest two :/

Exosuit is getting at least one more production run, so you might want to grab one when it becomes available again at S@H.

Research Institute however makes me nervous - if you really want it, and you can find it (without a mark up), I would get it.

gerg

That isn't exactly the point I was making, forgive me for not being clear. Here in the US, you have to be 16 to get a license, so it's an "age restricted product" here too. I just think calling it that is fucking stupid beyond belief because that illicits the thought of actual age restricted things that should not be in children's toys such as drinking, weaponry, or drugs. Not buying gas.

I think it's fair to call a spade a spade.

Yes, buying petrol may be less harmful than buying tobacco, but it's still an age-restricted product.

I think you missed my point entirely on the Mattel and Chevron thing. You can't just single Lego out if you're poo-pooing toys for kids that are marketed via gas companies. There are dozens of others, let's not pretend that Lego is some kind of big bad here.

Sure, I get that. I just see the "But [company X] isn't the only one!" line of defence a lot in Community threads, such as with sexism in the comic-book industry in the Comics megathread (and with sexism within LEGO's marketing in this thread), and invariably it's used to avoid, deflate or otherwise deny the issue rather than discuss it.

I think LEGO as a company should be able to stand on its own merits, personally. It gets singled out because it is so singularly successful and is so particularly stalwart about defending its brand.

Ponn

Banned

My point in general is that the article is alarmist tripe.

I was buying gas for my lawn mower when I was a kid mowing lawns for some money. never was denied, don't know if that has changed or not.

Modular question.

I have the Palace Cinema and love it to bits. None of the others jumped out at me like the Cinema did but now I know I need another building.

The only ones available from the Lego site are:

Town Hall
Grand Emporium
Pet Shop
Parisian Restaurant

How would you rank these sets?

Modular question.

I have the Palace Cinema and love it to bits. None of the others jumped out at me like the Cinema did but now I know I need another building.

Town Hall
Grand Emporium
Pet Shop
Parisian Restaurant

ps > pr >>> ge >>>>>>>>>>> th

R-User!

The Santa's Workshop looks cool! Like the reindeer a lot, but also, wish that there were 8 of them... :/

Totally gonna get caught up on Winter Village sets this October.

Can't friggin WAIT for the Tumbler though!...

ps > pr >>> ge >>>>>>>>>>> th

Pretty much this. I would swap Parisian and Pet Shop, but they're both fantastic. If you want to get into modulars, I'd get both and then look towards the older sets. Fire Brigade can still be had for roughly a $0.10 price per part, so track one down. Green Grocer and Cafe Corner can be pieced together with substitutions. Those five are the best modulars.

All of them:

GG >>> PR > PS >> CC >>> FB >>>>> GE >>> PC >>>>> TH >>>> MS

wetwired

Modular question.

Town Hall
Grand Emporium
Pet Shop
Parisian Restaurant

Parisian Restaurant (Hands down best modular thus far, and I have all except Market St)
Town Hall (Boring to build but looks great, nice piece selection)
Grand Emporium (Repetitive to build and pieces aren't all that unique)
Pet Shop (too similar style to the Green Grocer for my tastes, and the "under renovation" 2nd building seemed like a cheapskate way to not have furniture inside.)

Fowler

Zidane minifig... You know, i'm pretty sure i have it. There were these football legos years ago, with these sort of spring launcher, err, kicker things. Was kind of neat actually. Didn't have the full football field, just some small set, kind of a penalty kick set i think?

Google agrees, but I never saw the sets... just saw the minifig and thought I had to get it! Unlike the NBA, Zidane appears to be the only real footballer with a minifig.

Rootbeer

Banned
Got this in the e-mail from toys r us

9WMCV6c.png

No thanks. You have gall to advertise this as a 'sale'?

I got thunder wings on amazon for 14.99. A-Wing for $21 (amazon), and the raider, which I just ordered today, for $19.

Go fuck yourself TRU!

Rootbeer

Banned
Unless it's a set exclusive to TRU, I never bother buying the brick from there. Has it always been this way?
for quite a few years, not sure about always. they do carry a lot for MSRP but you have to be careful and do your research because about half of the sets are marked up at any given time. I *have* gotten some good deals there though (usually with coupons). They can be a good source for getting sets early, but for deals it is very spotty. I never find LEGO in the clearance section either.
I've gone to two targets to look for the new poly bags but couldn't find them. Are they placed with the other LEGO sets or somewhere else?
Yes check near the registers in the impulse buy section! usually on the very bottom row, with the cold drinks directly across from them. You should be able to find the new SW polybag and most stores have the city polybag right now too. a few stores still have the tumblr which is a great one to get if you don't have it yet (no minifig though). And if you are really lucky, some stores may even have the LEGO movie polybags left or random older polybags.

for quite a few years, not sure about always. they do carry a lot for MSRP but you have to be careful and do your research because about half of the sets are marked up at any given time. I *have* gotten some good deals there though (usually with coupons). They can be a good source for getting sets early, but for deals it is very spotty. I never find LEGO in the clearance section either.

Yes check near the registers in the impulse buy section! usually on the very bottom row, with the cold drinks directly across from them. You should be able to find the new SW polybag and most stores have the city polybag right now too. a few stores still have the tumblr which is a great one to get if you don't have it yet (no minifig though). And if you are really lucky, some stores may even have the LEGO movie polybags left or random older polybags.

The one Target near my GF still didn't have the new SW poly bag. They did have the Tie Fighter, Alliance Cruiser, City Helicopter, the Tumblr, a Chima one and a Galaxy Hunter bag.

Top Bottom