• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

ghostmind

I'm glad that they brought the size (and price) back down to "traditional" levels for a Winter Village set. With the big sets introduced over the last two years, it was getting very difficult to display them all.

Ryuuroden

Look forward to more updates on Orthanc this weekend guys, I came home from business trip to 7 bricklink orders at my door. Time to get building again while watching Person of Interest episodes or catch up on this seasons True Blood (yeah yeah i know, trashy show, but its my guilty pleasure)

Edit: lolwut, jerkson already banned?

Ponn

Banned
OMG i'm squealing like a schoolgirl right now. And holy crap it's only $70, so awesome. I think i'm going to put up my christmas tree tomorrow to celebrate.

OMG i'm squealing like a schoolgirl right now. And holy crap it's only $70, so awesome. I think i'm going to put up my christmas tree tomorrow to celebrate.

It is bad enough that Oktoberfest and Pumpkin beers are out right now. Don't be bringing Christmas stuff out just yet. :)

I wonder if they'll drop the price of last year's winter set when Santa's Workshop comes out? Get people more inclined to buy both? My store still has tons of them... I've wanted it since learning a Lego does winter theme stuff but if they might drop the price then I'll continue to hold off I guess...

Krilekk

Banned
Not really feeling the new winter set. I have them all so I will get this as well but it just looks very bland on the inside. The floor is ugly. The roof could've used some more work as well. 10199 Toy Shop is way ahead of this one.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
zSSX1lh.jpg

Sweet! I passed on the Winter Village Cottage, but this one's a must-get~

Rootbeer

Banned
the santa's workshop not only looks like a must buy but the price is totally reasonable, anyone who complains that it is expensive obviously isn't keeping up with LEGO prices these days.

I should have ordered a research institute despite how lackluster I found it to be... I figured I'd grab one later on at a retail store... I thought it would not be a huge seller on par with the Exo Suit... I was very wrong :( Rumors are that it may not get another run in north america... that better not be true.

At least I got two exo suits.

wetwired

wet:

which batcave are you basing it on? nolan trilogy? I'd love to build a more comic accurate batcave myself.

but then... i also want to build an ultimate turtle lair. hard to do both... on a budget :p

btw where can i see pics of your turtle stuff you took down

Nolan trilogy yeah, I've seen numerous comic book ones so I wanted to do something different.

There's a couple of pics here, it was more just a grungy NY alleyway with the turtles in it.

Xater

Nolan trilogy yeah, I've seen numerous comic book ones so I wanted to do something different.

There's a couple of pics here, it was more just a grungy NY alleyway with the turtles in it.

May I ask what you use to pose your figures in situations were they clearly would fall over normally?

Also I am really not that much into the Santa set as you guys. I think it's just ok.

I'm glad that they brought the size (and price) back down to "traditional" levels for a Winter Village set. With the big sets introduced over the last two years, it was getting very difficult to display them all.

Exactly my thoughts! I still need the Market and I ran out of room last year. The Toy Shop, Post Office, Bakery and Cottage take up my entire mantle and that is forgetting the various holiday bonus sets. I didn't even open last year's bonus sets.

Really, really glad this year's set is smaller. I wonder what the bonus sets will be.

Actually given the nature of Santa's Village I glad I stocked up on CMF Elves. Thanks for posting Ghostmind...can't wait for this.

I wonder if they'll drop the price of last year's winter set when Santa's Workshop comes out? Get people more inclined to buy both? My store still has tons of them... I've wanted it since learning a Lego does winter theme stuff but if they might drop the price then I'll continue to hold off I guess...

I think that was a one time thing with the Cottage (and it happened in February-it went back up to full price at Christmas)

Great pics wetwired. I need to start posing my minifigures in some dioramas instead of just having them stood about individually.

Modulars are great for that. Especially those with lots of space for figures (Parisian Restaurant is awesome). Although, it's a good idea to replace some of the sidewalk tiles with spacers so you can place figures securely.

I'm looking on Reddit and seeing almost everyone unanimously modding the Exo suit to get rid of the barrel arms. I just don't get the hate for the them. Sure, they're barrel pieces, but with a little bit of imagination they don't look like barrels at all. More like motors to spin the hands. Heck I didn't even know they were barrels or that seemingly everyone thought they looked ugly until I read some reactions to the exo suit. Also it being a darker shade of gray doesn't really make it look ugly in my opinion, just adds more color variety and depth to the design.

wetwired

I'm looking on Reddit and seeing almost everyone unanimously modding the Exo suit to get rid of the barrel arms. I just don't get the hate for the them. Sure, they're barrel pieces, but with a little bit of imagination they don't look like barrels at all. More like motors to spin the hands. Heck I didn't even know they were barrels or that seemingly everyone thought they looked ugly until I read some reactions to the exo suit. Also it being a darker shade of gray doesn't really make it look ugly in my opinion, just adds more color variety and depth to the design.

yeah I don't get the barrel hate at all.

Xater

I don't know if it's called the same overseas, but blu tack

Looks like it's available on Amazon over here. Also apparently Faber-Castell makes the same think and call it Tack-It. Thanks for the info. I was wondering how to pose figs better without making the way you fix them in place too visible.

To be fair, the barrels are a weak spot, or rather, that bar going through two flowerpots and only being held by a pin connector is. I'll probably keep one original but it's a very good place to start modding.

ruxtpin

Banned
Built one of my exo-suits and... I love it! Surprised at how pose-able and stable it is standing up. Also snagged the Death Star gunner set when I ordered to get free shipping; those emperors guards are great figures.

neonglow

Meanwhile, i'm still waiting for my Exo-Suit to come in:
tumblr_mwtushfIRQ1qlh1s6o1_500.gif

This reminds me that Mega Bloks has the Sponge Bob license now. It seems they did a better job of it than LEGO's old sets. The sets are also nicely priced compared to MB's Halo/COD line. The set below is only $20.

91XrO0KyP8L._SL500_.jpg

71-ol7yT1SL._SL500_.jpg

LEGO versions

81xIsDY4pNL._SL500_.jpg

61urtIvS5rL._SL500_.jpg

Ponn

Banned
Uni Kitty, Queasy Kitty, Angry Kitty, and Biznis Kitty should make up the other four.

This gets me thinking, how cool would a The Lego Movie adent calendar be? They are doing a Friends one now so why not. Have a President Business Claus figure or Christmas Uni-Kitty.

Ryuuroden

HAHAHAHAHAHHAAHA, apparently I have competition in Ohio for black lego bricks. I called down to Cincinnati to see what they had and I told the guy I was building an Orthanc moc and he was like, "are you the guy whose been buying out boxes of our black bricks?" I was like "wat". He's like, "There's a guy down here building the exact same thing, I thought maybe you were him." Soooo shiiiii, wonder if I should be posting my build progress anymore, lol. I still will, it's not a competition and besides it is documentation of my build. I may however set it to private for now and only provide sneak peaks as I want to display it at some conventions in this region.

Edit: so yeah, Iike I requested before, if you have access to black bricks at your local LEGO store and live in the USA or even Canada, let me know and check if they are a type I need for my build. Basically any 1x? sizes as well as many types of plates and specialty bricks. There are a few types of black bricks I have plenty of so check with me first.

Top Bottom