• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

Rootbeer

Banned
They are still fairly new, sounds like your target doesn't move a lot of polybags because i rarely see that many old ones still around in the same store.

exosuit_blacktron01.jpg

exosuit_blacktron02.jpg

Basically, I took a parts list and ordered a few Blacktron specific parts and then everything from the original build I could find in black or yellow. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out - even if more parts exist in black I think it looks better not being completely monochrome. The great thing is that only about 20 of the actual Exo Suit pieces were used in this and I already have spares ordered, so I'll be able to put together a third one - or mod that too. Space Police maybe, or M-Tron...

http://www.beardednerd.se/lego-ideas-exo-suit-blacktron-edition-moc/

More pictures here although the text is in Swedish.

Overall, I prefer this version. As you can see, I modded the arms to be more durable, and the older black "robot arms" used in the shoulder guards stick together slightly better than the worn-out mold Lego is using.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
for quite a few years, not sure about always. they do carry a lot for MSRP but you have to be careful and do your research because about half of the sets are marked up at any given time. I *have* gotten some good deals there though (usually with coupons). They can be a good source for getting sets early, but for deals it is very spotty. I never find LEGO in the clearance section either.

Yes check near the registers in the impulse buy section! usually on the very bottom row, with the cold drinks directly across from them. You should be able to find the new SW polybag and most stores have the city polybag right now too. a few stores still have the tumblr which is a great one to get if you don't have it yet (no minifig though). And if you are really lucky, some stores may even have the LEGO movie polybags left or random older polybags.

I scored my Technic Crawler for $160 at TRU. Just happens so rarely that I also tend to ignore that store.

namtab37

Neo Member
For those of you that own Benny's spaceship spaceship spaceship.. How is it? Do you recommend it? I really want it! Just want to make sure it's worth picking up

exosuit_blacktron01.jpg

exosuit_blacktron02.jpg

Basically, I took a parts list and ordered a few Blacktron specific parts and then everything from the original build I could find in black or yellow. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out - even if more parts exist in black I think it looks better not being completely monochrome. The great thing is that only about 20 of the actual Exo Suit pieces were used in this and I already have spares ordered, so I'll be able to put together a third one - or mod that too. Space Police maybe, or M-Tron...

Overall, I prefer this version. As you can see, I modded the arms to be more durable, and the older black "robot arms" used in the shoulder guards stick together slightly better than the worn-out mold Lego is using.
My god. It's beautiful. I am on my phone, so are there instructions I can get for later?

Ravek

Banned
exosuit_blacktron01.jpg

exosuit_blacktron02.jpg

It looks awesome.

I can't wait to get home and mod my own and make a less fragile verison for my kids to play with.

exosuit_blacktron01.jpg

Awesome! I love the Blacktron "loin cloth"! The arrow is pointing the wrong way. It should be pointing down. :)

exosuit_blacktron01.jpg

exosuit_blacktron02.jpg

Oh my...that's an awesome version of the Exo Suit and I dare say it looks far more threatening than the original one but then again, Blacktron always had a great color scheme.

So there's an Instagram account called MyGlendale and they posted a picture of all the stolen Lego sets. It... It boggles the mind.

And apparently? They're returning it all to us so we can sell it proper. There... there are so many discontinued sets. You can see a Helicarrier Escape and Jabba's Palace in the picture. I can't.. I can't even function right now.

R-User!

So there's an Instagram account called MyGlendale and they posted a picture of all the stolen Lego sets. It... It boggles the mind.

And apparently? They're returning it all to us so we can sell it proper. There... there are so many discontinued sets. You can see a Helicarrier Escape and Jabba's Palace in the picture. I can't.. I can't even function right now.

Good luck WordAssasin, you're gonna need it!

Maybe they'll let you set up a personal layaway program!... x_x

Ravek

Banned

link of the stolen goods how in the fuck?!

wetwired

exosuit_blacktron01.jpg

exosuit_blacktron02.jpg

Awesome!, that would go well with this space police one I saw on reddit

RxbQqgr.png

ghostmind

Rumored new Star Wars sets for January:

Microfighters
75072 ARC-170 Starfighter
75073 Vulture Droid
75074 Snowspeeder
75075 AT-AT
75076 Republic Gunship
75077 Homing Spider Droid

Normal scale sets
75078 Geonosis Troopers
75079 Shadow Troopers
75080 AAT
75081 T-16 Skyhopper

Star Wars Rebels
75089 Imperial Troop Transport
75090 Ezra’s Speeder Bike
75082 TIE Advanced Prototype
75083 AT-DP
75084 Wookiee Gunship

So LEGO is going all in for Rebels, which is very exciting as we will be getting new designs for the first time. I'm very glad to see the return of the AAT, as it has been a while since the last release (2009). Even longer for the OT T-16 Skyhopper (2003).

I'm not surprised to see a lack of OT sets, as I think they'll be saving a lot of that for Episode VII, where some of the OT ships get redesigns/evolutions
(like the recently revealed next-gen X-wing).

I'm most excited for the Imperial Troop Transport - a vehicle I had back in the 1980s from Kenner, that they are bringing back for Rebels.

dfMkiZN.jpg

ghostmind

TIE Advanced Prototype? Wasn't Vader's TIE Advanced a prototype in itself, or is it now a Legends thing?

The Inquisitor's TIE Advanced is more like a prototype to Vader's TIE Advanced, which is itself a prototype to a more general production model.

hIbOAfl.jpg

It bears a great resemblance to the Eta-2 Jedi Interceptors, minus the front wedge.

MOjNIaR.jpg

Woorloog

Banned
The Inquisitor's TIE Advanced is more like a prototype to Vader's TIE Advanced, which is itself a prototype to a more general production model.

hIbOAfl.jpg

I see that image and think... why the heck would you post that fan-made "Republic TIE". Then i get it.
I wonder if the artist has seen the "Rebulic TIE" model and liked it, or if this is just a coincidence...

EDIT You can see that AT-DP in the old Marvel Star Wars comics. Funny how they take inspiration from old stuff. Wonder if we will see something akin to Scimitar (a starbomber based on the TIE Fighter but not a twin-ion-engine craft itself, was in the Thrawn Trilogy). EDIT AT-DP... or its inspiration was called AT-AR

EDIT the Republic TIE
republictie.jpg

Ravek

Banned
With all those new/runored SW sets, one would hope that LEGO would make/add a new super light gray and or a charcoal color.

ghostmind

I see that image and think... why the heck would you post that fan-made "Republic TIE". Then i get it.
I wonder if the artist has seen the "Rebulic TIE" model and liked it, or if this is just a coincidence...

EDIT You can see that AT-DP in the old Marvel Star Wars comics. Funny how they take inspiration from old stuff. Wonder if we will see something akin to Scimitar (a starbomber based on the TIE Fighter but not a twin-ion-engine craft itself, was in the Thrawn Trilogy).

The vehicles from Rebels take heavy influence from the original Ralph McQuarrie designs for the original Star Wars trilogy. That is why we've seen some of these before - the designs actually pre-date the OT.

I'm disappointed by the Star Wars sets. I'm not interested in prequel sets and I don't know enough about the Rebels show to know if I want them or not. My wallet will be happy though.

Woorloog

Banned
The vehicles from Rebels take heavy influence from the original Ralph McQuarrie designs for the original Star Wars trilogy. That is why we've seen some of these before - the designs actually pre-date the OT.

Yeah noticed that they're based on the old concepts, Wookieepedia article for AT-AR mentions the AT-DP, and mentions they're based off old concepts for the AT-ST.

Is the TIE Advanced prototype also based on some McQuarrie concept art?

ghostmind

Yeah noticed that they're based on the old concepts, Wookieepedia article for AT-AR mentions the AT-DP, and mentions they're based off old concepts for the AT-ST.

Is the TIE Advanced prototype also based on some McQuarrie concept art?

Apparently so, though I have not seen the artwork (though not all of McQuarrie's concept work for the OT has been released to the public).

Woorloog

Banned
Apparently so, though I have not seen the artwork (though not all of McQuarrie's concept work for the OT has been released to the public).

Makes sense... Damn, i'd love a book containing pretty much all of McQuarrie's artwork for Star Wars, his concepts are so wonderful, the style, the colors, the feel. I don't think Star Wars would be Star Wars without him.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
More 42009 build pics for anyone who cares! Finished 3 of 6 books today. As I'm a structural engineer who deals with cranes and construction equipment, I'm a sucker for things like outriggers...I love the build of them, too. Such a simple yet effective design.

I'm always a fan of engines builds, and this one does not disappoint. It's fun to watch the pistons, ha. But my favorite part of the build so far? How comically large this thing is. I mean, it's as large as the fully open book. I love it.

Problem is I have no clue where I'm going to store this once it's built...Floor I guess. My shelves already have my Nanoblock display on them. I guess I could move some stuff around. Not sure. But I intend to finish this up by the end of the week.

IMG_20140810_110820.jpg

IMG_20140810_133555.jpg

IMG_20140810_154245.jpg

IMG_20140810_205303.jpg

Chuck

Still without luck
If anyone is interested in a sealed B-wing for a decent price, let me know with a PM. Also if you're in the LA area it'd be even better.

Ravek

Banned
More 42009 build pics for anyone who cares! Finished 3 of 6 books today. As I'm a structural engineer who deals with cranes and construction equipment, I'm a sucker for things like outriggers...I love the build of them, too. Such a simple yet effective design.

I'm always a fan of engines builds, and this one does not disappoint. It's fun to watch the pistons, ha. But my favorite part of the build so far? How comically large this thing is. I mean, it's as large as the fully open book. I love it.

Problem is I have no clue where I'm going to store this once it's built...Floor I guess. My shelves already have my Nanoblock display on them. I guess I could move some stuff around. Not sure. But I intend to finish this up by the end of the week.

IMG_20140810_110820.jpg

IMG_20140810_133555.jpg

IMG_20140810_154245.jpg

IMG_20140810_205303.jpg

Its looking fantastic. Do the pistons only move with the tires or ???

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! I've spent a lot of time and money amassing bricks of all colors the past few years. I new grey color would kill me.

You know we need it!

Really bummed about the new Microfighters. I was hoping for a Sand Crawler for an alternative way to get a goddamn Jawa without dropping $300/$150.

ATAT and the Snow Speeder for me though, should be interesting to see how they do a tiny ATAT!

ghostmind

Really bummed about the new Microfighters. I was hoping for a Sand Crawler for an alternative way to get a goddamn Jawa without dropping $300/$150.

ATAT and the Snow Speeder for me though, should be interesting to see how they do a tiny ATAT!

There is a possibility for Jawas and/or Tusken Raiders with the T-16 Skyhopper.

If there is an UCS Falcon in there (lol), you can get it for me. I don't want to do anything illegal, but I will stab someone in front of their own mama if it means getting that. And if they testify against me, I'll gouge their eyes out.

props to whomever gets the reference

Top Bottom