• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

79015 Witch-king Battle (Elrond, Galadriel, Witch King); $14.99
79016 Attack on Lake-town (Bard the Bowman, Bain, Tauriel, 2 Orcs); $29.99
79017 The Battle of Five Armies (Legolas, Bard the Bowman, Dain Ironfoot, Thorin Oakenshield, Azog, 2 Orcs, Eagle); $59.99
79018 The Lonely Mountain (Bilbo Baggins, Balin, Dwalin, Fili, Kili, Smaug); $129.99

Is that the same Elrond from the Council set? It's a must get for that price just for the minifigs (on sale of course).

And is that the same Azog in the current Hobbit wave?

EDIT: I was referring to the Witch-king Battle as must get for $15 especially when on sale.

ghostmind

Is that the same Elrond from the Council set? It's a must get for that price just for the minifigs (on sale of course).

And is that the same Azog in the current Hobbit wave?

Elrond looks different, Azog looks the same.

Witch-king set is the one to get, with a $15 price point and minifigs that could be used with LotR scenes.

Ponn

Banned
79015 Witch-king Battle (Elrond, Galadriel, Witch King); $14.99
79016 Attack on Lake-town (Bard the Bowman, Bain, Tauriel, 2 Orcs); $29.99
79017 The Battle of Five Armies (Legolas, Bard the Bowman, Dain Ironfoot, Thorin Oakenshield, Azog, 2 Orcs, Eagle); $59.99
79018 The Lonely Mountain (Bilbo Baggins, Balin, Dwalin, Fili, Kili, Smaug); $129.99

Witch King was not the Witch King I was expecting for some reason. Multiples of him could make an actual neat Weathertop scene though.

Kind of glad picked up Laketown chase, can make a neat Smaug scene.

Overall I think who ever they put on these LoTR/Hobbit sets were the wrong people, very uninspired people. The two best sets, Orthanc and Helms Deep, were really hard to mess up so you could say this entire line was phoned in. Soooo many missed opportunities for awesome sets like buildable Balrog, Watcher and Fell Beast sets. No Minas Tirith, Towers galore to choose from. Instead we kept getting brown and grey and walls and rocks. Oh and a ship out of nowhere, not even elvish. Except for Unexpected Gathering Hobbit got worse. At least I bought all the LoTR sets.

Rootbeer

Banned
Stickers are even more unappealing than ever after the reports in recent years about newer stickers peeling off a lot easier than older ones. They changed the adhesive of something?

I'm worried I'm going to have a ton of peeling stickers in the coming years. Even 10 years is far too soon.

Zerojul

I find those Hobbit sets very meh. Sets that I may or may not get at with a huge discount, for the figs only, nothing more. Like ghostmind wisely said the 76015 at 15$ for 3 figs is good value though...

Ponn

Banned
Stickers are even more unappealing than ever after the reports in recent years about newer stickers peeling off a lot easier than older ones. They changed the adhesive of something?

I'm worried I'm going to have a ton of peeling stickers in the coming years. Even 10 years is far too soon.

I was sorting my Vampyres Castle set last week and noticed one of the tower stickers was curling a bit so yea, wasnt happy to see that. Especially with those glow in the dark stickers, going to be impossible to replace.

Wondering if it would be better to just leave it assembled and find a permanent spot for it,

ghostmind

I was sorting my Vampyres Castle set last week and noticed one of the tower stickers was curling a bit so yea, wasnt happy to see that. Especially with those glow in the dark stickers, going to be impossible to replace.

Wondering if it would be better to just leave it assembled and find a permanent spot for it,

My Vampyre Castle started doing the same thing - I think that was one of the reasons they replaced the stickers mid-cycle on those sets.

Ponn

Banned
My Vampyre Castle started doing the same thing - I think that was one of the reasons they replaced the stickers mid-cycle on those sets.

Well thats too bad, not sure which way i'd rather have it. I really like the way it glows in the dark when I have it on display. Thankfully pretty much all of the Ghost Train Glow in the Dark are actual pieces and not stickers.

Maybe because he's a ghost instead of the (superior) LOTR Witch King?

Yea i'm assuming hes in that spirit form from when Frodo put the ring on. Not sure i'm willing to spend the money to get that many multiples but I do have Weathertop and never liked it as a display piece but if I had multiples of this spirit Witch King to recreate that scene it might look pretty cool.

What could I do with an army of multiple Elronds and Galadriels...hmmm. Elvish flying circus with the Fairground Mixer?

Holy underwhelming Batman! When I imagined Lego Lord of the Rings, I expected greatness but too many of these sets have been so uninspired and lacking that it annoys me. Oh well, this is why we have MOC's.

Have any of you guys have any experience selling used sets? I need to downsize some of my collection, mostly Star Wars stuff which are broken down and mixed. I'm not sure if I'm better off inventorying and selling the individual sets, or selling off the minifigs and using the rest for parts. Thanks.

Have any of you guys have any experience selling used sets? I need to downsize some of my collection, mostly Star Wars stuff which are broken down and mixed. I'm not sure if I'm better off inventorying and selling the individual sets, or selling off the minifigs and using the rest for parts. Thanks.

I usually sell used sets complete. I usually have success that way but selling the minifigs works just as well. It just hurts the value of the set if it doesn't have the minifigs.

Meh. Ghost Witch King was expected but still lame. HOWEVER, the crown is in DBG or metallic, so if you put it on your Weathertop nazgul and give him a new weapon - boom, Pelennor Witch King.

Going to skip Lake Town. Probably skipping the battle set (a huge catapult and a platform - really?), unless Dain looks awesome. I'm probably getting the big set too.

I'd rather keep the figs and sell the sets. ;)

Zerojul

Is the Elrond in the 79015 the same as the 5000202 poly ? :

Q1qTWXF.jpg

It looks the same to me.

Edit : nope, the one in the 79015 has the crown. Same print though.

Ironmask

Witch King was not the Witch King I was expecting for some reason. Multiples of him could make an actual neat Weathertop scene though.

Kind of glad picked up Laketown chase, can make a neat Smaug scene.

Overall I think who ever they put on these LoTR/Hobbit sets were the wrong people, very uninspired people. The two best sets, Orthanc and Helms Deep, were really hard to mess up so you could say this entire line was phoned in. Soooo many missed opportunities for awesome sets like buildable Balrog, Watcher and Fell Beast sets. No Minas Tirith, Towers galore to choose from. Instead we kept getting brown and grey and walls and rocks. Oh and a ship out of nowhere, not even elvish. Except for Unexpected Gathering Hobbit got worse. At least I bought all the LoTR sets.

I agree with you for everything, worst part is that most of the things you mentions are already made in the respective Lego videogames, like the big Sauron and the Balrog...

I'm gonna grab the battle set for the big amount of minifigs, the pieces will go in the lego bucket

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I just saw these nanoblock Pokemon! I need to get Pikachu and the other starter Pokemons. I see they're about $13-15 on Amazon. What's the cheapest way to get them?

That's about the best price around for them - eBay stores are also pretty good for combined shipping. However, if you can find them on Amazon for a good price, I'd go that route.

Fumoffu

Neo Member
Sweet as. Did you happen to see the X-Men set as well? I'll have to go check out Big W down here on the weekend.

If you guys aren't in a rush I'd recommend getting it here. Got it to me in 2 days (I'm in Sydney) and free shipping on orders over $150. Will definitely buy from them again.

Ravek

Banned
Maybe the problem with the Hobbit sets is that prehaps Warner Bros doesn't let TLG see the movie but only gives them concept art? Thus the rushed/uninspired looking designs?

Idk. They do look like weak sets.

I asked the guy who checked if he saw any other Dino sets (before I knew it was clearance) and he said that was the only one. They've had it since 2012. O__O

Before they rang it they said it was $69.99, and shipping was $3.99. Then they rang it and came back on the phone, "There's actually been a price adjustment? It's $2."
"On... Oh, the shipping?"
"No, the set. It's.. on clearance for.. $2."
"Oh... Oh my god. Oh wow."

Still can't believe.

Edit: Oh, irony, talking about Nanoblocks now? I just built an Alpaca. I love the way they look but they are such a goddamn nightmare to build. "Here's 120+ teeny, tiny pieces, and here's 6 unclear steps on how to assemble them." Drives me insane!

I really love the Alpaca though. Has anyone ever tried to use Lego brick with Nanoblocks instructions? I can't tell if plates or bricks would work better cause nanobrick are kinda... they seem somewhere in between?

About to build the VW Camper for my new desk at work!

Edit 2: GODDAMN NO NUMBERED BAGS

Congrats, that's quite a find!

Rootbeer

Banned
LEGO requesting thsoe leaked hobbit pics taken down (brickset, others), do they do this sort of thing often? i feel like most of the leaked pics usually just slide. not this time I guess.

anyway... i'm probably going to get all 4 sets because they could end up being our last tolkien sets :(

Experien

SUPER Jealous of the Dino HQ guy...I actually had the KY store pulled up at my work yesterday. If only I called, could've used that T-Rex!

Anyways, I built the Shellraiser last night and was surprised by how much I enjoyed that. Really like the shap of it and is much better in person. Do wish it was a little wider.

R-User!

HOLY

SHIT

YOU

GUYS

OK

SO

*deep breath*

*freaking out*

*deep breath*

Ok so I called the KY store. They had it. They said they'd ship it out for me, $4 shipping. Not bad! ~$80 is much better than $150, and I feel better paying this much for the full set instead of $40/50 for just the T-Rex on Bricklink.

So they transfer me to the person who takes payment info.

And she rang it up.

And told me it was actually on clearance.

For.

Two.

Dollars.

*dies and ascends to heaven*

L

O

L

!

Wow you are very fortunate WordAssassin!!!

CONGRATULATIONS!

R-User!

Tower Bridge gets a pass because of the sheer volume of each type of piece. The true number bag hell I had was Imperial Shuttle.

YES!!! 24 iirc unnumbered bags; I recall not having enough tupperware tubs to hold each bag so many of the larger pieces just stayed upright in their open bags leaning up against the other containers...

A sea of white bricks; but the end result is SO worth the "trouble"... :smug face:

ghostmind

LEGO requesting thsoe leaked hobbit pics taken down (brickset, others), do they do this sort of thing often? i feel like most of the leaked pics usually just slide. not this time I guess.

anyway... i'm probably going to get all 4 sets because they could end up being our last tolkien sets :(

There are a few different standards.

There are the "preliminary" images, which are found in retailer catalogs (so that they have a preview of what is to come in order to plan ahead for their orders). These images contain unfinished sets, and are labelled with a disclaimer as such, and that they should not be distributed. LEGO fan sites mostly adhere to this restriction, and so should we.

Leaked photos, like the Hobbit sets, come from various sources - in this case someone with access to a factory in Mexico. These are final packaging, and not pre-release, so there is no legal verbiage on the packaging, however in this case LEGO is saying that they have an agreement with the license-holder (WB/New Line) to keep the set images under embargo until October.

However, this is an agreement between LEGO and the license-holder, and fan-sites are not generally beholden to following such agreements, especially since they had no part in the original leak. However, many fan sites get freebies and early access to new sets from LEGO, and they don't want to damage that relationship, so they do what LEGO tells them to do, and take down the images.

It's weird that the witch king'a torso looks the same as Sarumon's.

I'll probably get only the witch king and smash sets n be done with the series. Bummed the sets were not what they could've been :(

Wish the liscense kept going since there's still so much that can be done.

Rootbeer

Banned
thanks for your commentary above ghostmind.

In the wake of Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition releasing in bookstores this coming Tuesday...

I took a chance on some kre-o D&D figs today that were on clearance at Toys R Us. Kind of cool to own a Drizzt in brick form. I do appreciate that Kre-o minifigs try to offer a bit more than a LEGO minifig... they have poseable arms and legs. I really like that. And yet they are the exact same scale and overall look to LEGO figs... so they can mix fairly well (except for the style of the paint apps which are easily identifiable). Oh, and another thing... they come on round bases, which are great because it minics the style of base seen in most D&D miniatures. If I had enough of those kre-o (and LEGO castle, etc.) figs you could run D&D campaigns using these instead of traditional miniatures and build the game map using bricks! that'd be really awesome.

kre-o1.jpg

My next goal? To get a Tiefling from the blind bags.

Also... anyone want a LotR Pirate Ship for $68?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C9X59S4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I just can't bring myself to buy it even at this discount... just not very fond of it.

neonglow

thanks for your commentary above ghostmind.

In the wake of Dungeons & Dragons 4th edition releasing in bookstores this coming Tuesday...

I took a chance on some kre-o D&D figs today that were on clearance at Toys R Us. Kind of cool to own a Drizzt in brick form. I do appreciate that Kre-o minifigs try to offer a bit more than a LEGO minifig... they have poseable arms and legs. I really like that. And yet they are the exact same scale and overall look to LEGO figs... so they can mix fairly well (except for the style of the paint apps which are easily identifiable). Oh, and another thing... they come on round bases, which are great because it minics the style of base seen in most D&D miniatures. If I had enough of those kre-o (and LEGO castle, etc.) figs you could run D&D campaigns using these instead of traditional miniuatures and build the game map using bricks! that'd be really awesome.

kre-o1.jpg

My next goal? To get a Tiefling from the blind bags.

Also... anyone want a LotR Pirate Ship for $68?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C9X59S4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I just can't bring myself to buy it even at this discount... just not very fond of it.

I'll have to check my TRU if they're discounting those. They seem to be shelf warmers here.

Here's how to identify that figure from the serial number on the package:
http://www.oafe.net/blog/2014/02/dungeons-and-dragons-kre-o-blind-bagged-figure-decoder/

That price isn't that great for the Pirate Ship. It cost close to that new during the BOGO 40% sale recently when I picked one up.

ruxtpin

Banned
Chime in and express my dissatisfaction with those new Hobbit/LotR sets as well. Pretty meh' ... again. Except for the figures, most of the Hobbit/LotR stuff is only good for the parts (and not even that much, since they have license tax built into the price). It's unfortunate because I they announced the LotR theme right as I was coming out of my dark ages and I told myself I would get every set. So far I have, but I wish there was more to look forward to.

Rootbeer

Banned
Here's how to identify that figure from the serial number on the package:
http://www.oafe.net/blog/2014/02/dungeons-and-dragons-kre-o-blind-bagged-figure-decoder/

Thanks saving it to my phone. :) heading back into TRU tomorrow to look for some stuff. I'll try to feel one out.

And yeah these kre-o have been shelfwarming for MONTHS. I've seen them and passed them over many times. But why not give them a try?

I also saw the entire wave of Spongebob Mega Bloks today... I'm tempted to get the Krabby Patty set.

Rootbeer

Banned
Whats so bad about that LOTR pirate(?) ship?

Nothing he was just saying that the price isn't as low as he has seen it before. Though I still think it's a good buy at that price.

Personally I don't like the minifigs (a lot are repeats especially the fellowship ones, no exclusive prints), and it's just not as good as some of the other LEGO ships (such as PotC stuff, for one)

neonglow

Thanks saving it to my phone. :) heading back into TRU tomorrow to look for some stuff. I'll try to feel one out.

And yeah these kre-o have been shelfwarming for MONTHS. I've seen them and passed them over many times. But why not give them a try?

I also saw the entire wave of Spongebob Mega Bloks today... I'm tempted to get the Krabby Patty set.

How much were the D&D figures and how big of a discount were they at?

Rootbeer

Banned
How much were the D&D figures and how big of a discount were they at?

the blind bags were 1.95

drizzt is not a blind bag he comes in a small package with a tiny brick brick built tree. 2.49 is what i paid for him.

all the other sets are also on discount, some up to 50%. who knows, by the time i get them to the register maybe lower if i'm lucky. halo and whatnot are also on sale as are a lot of of other brick licenses like the mario knex, i may look closer tomorrow. i don't stray from lego usually but i feel like buying some of these up.

Ponn

Banned
Whats so bad about that LOTR pirate(?) ship?

It was my first Lego ship so I don't really have a frame of reference but its not a bad display place. I still have it displayed on my wall it just is kind of plain when compared to other Lego ships like PoTC and not really recognizable as from LoTR. The ghost figs are pretty cool along with PJ fig. It's been on sale price and is always popping up on AWD so I wouldn't feel bad about getting it for $70 or less.

I have a trade opportunity for some Kreo Star Trek sets including Enterprise. Does anyone have any opinions? Shoot me but I actually do like the new Star Trek movies.

ghostmind

JANG reviewed the set with the translucent car, and had very favourable things to say about it.

Top Bottom