• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

Oh come on...I can't be the only guy that has his hulk fig smash a set to pieces lol plus my kids always take them out and play

I am super into playing with them still. I set up all kinds of dioramas, I played with my Galaxy Squad sets for like an hour when I first built them, I love posing them into fun scenes. I'll be 30 this November *grin*

Made a couple small buys the last couple days;

Prp65iW.jpg

PONyWuW.jpg

Picked up the Imperial Shuttle at Target, made one small change with the build, got rid of the flat 2x1 tile used for the cockpit window and used two of those clear triangle bricks.

Found a lone Anakin's Jedi Interceptor, and the Mixels at TRU. The Interceptor was on clearance for 1.99 along with the black Mixel for 2.99.

Eklipsis

Not sure if I read it on here or another Lego site but if u download the Walmart app it will tell u in store discounted items. I searched a certain set then looked at the in store option....like one guy said he got the unexpected gathering set for $15 and I found a Walmart near me says it has the superman vs power armor Lex for $9

Just got back home to CT after a shitty, shitty travel day. Had some birthday cards waiting when I got back, and all contained money. I really need to save it for moving expenses in a few weeks, but dammit. I need Milano and SPACESHIP! I will snag those this weekend I think.

Ponn

Banned
Just got back home to CT after a shitty, shitty travel day. Had some birthday cards waiting when I got back, and all contained money. I really need to save it for moving expenses in a few weeks, but dammit. I need Milano and SPACESHIP! I will snag those this weekend I think.

Wait, you don't have Milano yet?! The world has gone mad, MAD I tell you. It's been on sale at Amazon since Sunday for $69.99. I'm assuming they are price matching walmart..

Wait, you don't have Milano yet?! The world has gone mad, MAD I tell you. It's been on sale at Amazon since Sunday for $69.99. I'm assuming they are price matching walmart..

I have been broke for months. I was bad and bought Exo Suit and Research Institute the other week. But thankfully I got enough money for my birthday to cover SPACESHIP! and Milano.

If you're looking for a way to rationalize it, that money is birthday money meant for presents, not bills. It's also bonus money that you didn't have before so if you spend it it's just like you never had it to begin with.

:D

If you're looking for a way to rationalize it, that money is birthday money meant for presents, not bills. It's also bonus money that you didn't have before so if you spend it it's just like you never had it to begin with.

:D

That is exactly how I rationalized it. I am just debating about building and disassembling before I move in three weeks, or buy them and keep them boxed up to build once I move.

Ponn

Banned
I have been broke for months. I was bad and bought Exo Suit and Research Institute the other week. But thankfully I got enough money for my birthday to cover SPACESHIP! and Milano.

It's a running theme of us all needing extra money for our addictions. You know they have pyramid schemes for stupid shit nobody really wants or cares about. We should create a pyramid scheme for Lego. Have Lego parties and sign people up to be Lego resellers under us and get paid in Lego sets.

"You too can reach Mr.Gold level like Jim from Kansas. Last year he pulled in a Death Star, a SSD and two modulars."

Ainaurdur

It's a running theme of us all needing extra money for our addictions. You know they have pyramid schemes for stupid shit nobody really wants or cares about. We should create a pyramid scheme for Lego. Have Lego parties and sign people up to be Lego resellers under us and get paid in Lego sets.

"You too can reach Mr.Gold level like Jim from Kansas. Last year he pulled in a Death Star, a SSD and two modulars."

And we can all start our Lego empires, right here, together!

thanks for your commentary above ghostmind.

In the wake of Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition releasing in bookstores this coming Tuesday...

I took a chance on some kre-o D&D figs today that were on clearance at Toys R Us. Kind of cool to own a Drizzt in brick form. I do appreciate that Kre-o minifigs try to offer a bit more than a LEGO minifig... they have poseable arms and legs. I really like that. And yet they are the exact same scale and overall look to LEGO figs... so they can mix fairly well (except for the style of the paint apps which are easily identifiable). Oh, and another thing... they come on round bases, which are great because it minics the style of base seen in most D&D miniatures. If I had enough of those kre-o (and LEGO castle, etc.) figs you could run D&D campaigns using these instead of traditional miniatures and build the game map using bricks! that'd be really awesome.

kre-o1.jpg

Clearance already?!? Thanks for the heads up, I want a bunch of those, but only for at least 30% off. The heads are compatible with LEGO minifigs and so are the accessories. Those Kreons look cool for the Transformers, but those arms aren't flattering on "human" Kreons. 50% off and I'll grab a bunch of those Kreons.

I'll have to check my TRU if they're discounting those. They seem to be shelf warmers here.

Here's how to identify that figure from the serial number on the package:
http://www.oafe.net/blog/2014/02/dungeons-and-dragons-kre-o-blind-bagged-figure-decoder/

That price isn't that great for the Pirate Ship. It cost close to that new during the BOGO 40% sale recently when I picked one up.

Thanks for the kre-o codes! I'll swing by TRU to see if they are on clearance. Those World of Warcraft sets barely move even when on clearance. Maybe the D&D will move a bit more because they have some play factor with all the shooting stuff.

I can relate to shitty travel days!

I did the 4.5 hour drive from Reno to SF this morning at 5am. Boarded my 11:30 flight only to have mechanical problems discovered that required us to deplane. 6 hours later I got rebooked on a flight to NJ, which literally just landed (I am waiting to deplane). I will now go sleep on the floor for a few hours until my next flight to get home to Toronto in the morning.

But on the upside, I can move my hand again and I found a few poly bags we don't have in Canada yet.

ghostmind

I did the 4.5 hour drive from Reno to SF this morning at 5am. Boarded my 11:30 flight only to have mechanical problems discovered that required us to deplane. 6 hours later I got rebooked on a flight to NJ, which literally just landed (I am waiting to deplane). I will now go sleep on the floor for a few hours until my next flight to get home to Toronto in the morning.

But on the upside, I can move my hand again and I found a few poly bags we don't have in Canada yet.

Congrats on the hand! Did it just start "working" again, or was the trip to Reno related?

Jesus. Your day is so much worse than the one my wife and I had.

We drove 2 hours to Louisville airport. The first flight was fine, but the connecting flight in Philly was oversold, and I didnt have a seat. A similar thing happened on the way to KY on Saturday. At least on Saturday the person was incredibly nice and got us on the next flight, and in first class, and gave us credit to get a ticket later.
Not so much luck this time. The two women working the counter in Philly were treating my wife and I like an annoyance. The problem was my wife got a seat assignment, but I did not. As they are boarding the plane and waiting to see if any seats would be left for me, they tell my wife to scan her ticket. We are confused and ask if I have a seat. The woman replies "I am getting you one now. Now go scan the ticket."
My wife and I ask for clarification if I am on the flight or not. Then both clerks start yelling at us to scan the ticket or my wife doesn't fly at all. After we start yelling at them to get a concrete answer if my seat is on this flight or another, they finally scream at us that we are not, and we never should have assumed I was. It was our fault for not checking in 24 hours before the flight. All we wanted to know was whether we were on the flight or not, and the people couldn't even give us a straight answer. It was a simple question, and then we were screamed at for asking it.
I will leave out the rest of the details, as it just pisses me off to no end. We were placed on a flight that left four hours later, and in seats at opposite ends of the plane. We were given a check to refund us money for the ticket as well.
This is the second time we almost got stuck in Philly. The first time was when we were flying back to CT the day after our wedding in 2008.
Needless to say, I will do whatever I can to never go through PHL again. And will never use US Airways again. Well, not after I redeem the voucher for a ticket in September when I have to fly to NC. After that, US Airways can get bent.
It was a nice, long, stressful final day of vacation. The bright spot is that I now have two weeks left at my current store and will soon not have to put up with my manager.

On a brighter note, congrats on the hand. That is spectacular news!

ghostmind

Apparently, according to LEGO, they are in a bit of hot water with WB/New Line over the Hobbit sets leak. After some thought on the matter, I've decided to remove them from my posts. I would ask that anyone who quoted me with those images, please do the same.

My two exosuits came in on Monday. The build was fun, but those shoulder accents are so bad. Not sure how that passes on a LEGO set.

Wondering now if I should hold on to the second set or return it to buy something else...

And those Hobbit leaks are so underwhelming. Not sure why WB would care. LEGO should be upset at how lame they are.

Why no LOTR Witchking in the LOTR run. Silly.

Ponn

Banned
Dol Guldur Battle on AWD for $42. I feel like Goblin King Battle all over. Thats a really good price, but still really reluctant to bite.

Congrats on the hand! Did it just start "working" again, or was the trip to Reno related?

Thanks! I took off the cybernetic-banjo-brace recently while boarding a roller coaster (didn't want it to bang around). I realized halfway up the terrifyingly high hill that I was holding my wrist up on my own. Since then it has improved every day!

Jesus. Your day is so much worse than the one my wife and I had.!

I got put out, but you guys got treated rudely; both options suck.

Turns out the floor at Newark sucks for sleeping! I am too old for this.

Awesome news, man. Congrats !

Thanks!

PalaceBrother, did you get to keep the cybernetic hand thingie you were wearing for months? You should frame it.

Oh I still have it. I bet if I was wearing it on this trip I would have been rebooked on a better flight. I am going to keep it in my carry on from now on.

wetwired

Oh come on...I can't be the only guy that has his hulk fig smash a set to pieces lol plus my kids always take them out and play

Nope I'm the collector. They never come out unless I need them for a mac or display. My kids have their own Lego to play with, they have a fake hulk on the way for them :p

My figs are constantly being used in various dioramas. Speaking of which: as soon as I get my connection back I'll post pictures of my collection.

Rootbeer

Banned
little tip for anyone who may be going out to get some of those kre-o dungeons & dragons sets on clearance at TRU...

I was watching a review of the D&D blind bags and apparently each blind bag has a coupon for $3 off any kre-o D&D purchase of $15 or more. The coupon expires January 2015 and is tucked inside with the card and instructions. So... my plan today is to get some of the blind packs and use the coupons on the clearance sets... if they will let me.

I left my packaging at home (at work now) -- I should have examined it a little closer!

i wonder if there are similar coupons in their other blind bags

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I feel dirty...Just bought the Technic Unimog off eBay for $240. $40 higher than MSRP, but free shipping. It's the first time I've bought a set for higher than MSRP. Best price I've seen it for, though. No box, but I don't give a shit - need those pneumatic tubes and pumps!

Eklipsis

Nope I'm the collector. They never come out unless I need them for a mac or display. My kids have their own Lego to play with, they have a fake hulk on the way for them :p

Lord Business! j/k lol Yeah my kids have their own too but they always want to play with mine...I'd rather display mine but I dont have a designated place for them yet.

Whoooo! My broadband is back after nine days. Finally! So, let's start with spamming pictures.

My main display is in the livingroom. There's a corner shelf, from top to bottom:

r0OAaIG.jpg

What's fast becoming my Neo Classic Space shelf. I took down the Kingdoms Joust to fit this. I'll make another Exo Suit and make the ground into something more like the old crater plates.

u2zAUCW.jpg

Council of Elrond and refuge for any spare LotR figures I don't know what to do with.

Urkf3sh.jpg

My inn courtyard for all my custom figures.

Ag3Xvt4.jpg

Helm's Deep, which along with the modular street houses everything that doesn't belong anywhere else. It started out with the regular Helm's defenders and 20-ish orcs, but then we just started adding to it.

27a9VHH.jpg

My first custom, which I'm probably gonna redesign one of those days. It's a good place to fit Thorin & Co at least.

Then on top of the game shelves to the right is Orthanc, handily fitting that empty area on a 40 cm low Billy shelf.
qin9DMH.jpg

To the right of Orthanc is a full length Billy and then another low one, where I keep the Imperial Flagship. Near this is a stack of boxes where the viking ship has semi-permanently been placed, but I think the Midgardswyrm is taking an interest in the pirate ship.
rCGMAtr.jpg

Along the top of all this, starting above Orthanc, is a shelf for the modular street.
D4uLwVS.jpg

Café Corner and Market Street

lFXT656.jpg

Green Grocer and Pet Shop

BKYqBU4.jpg

Fire Brigade and Gran... Trendy Arcade

1S1F9aJ.jpg

French Street with Ecto-1, Parisian Restaurant and place for one more modular (currently housing my dragon display)

N1YpqHD.jpg

Shelob is gently dangling from a spare lamp mount, waiting for any arachnophobiacs to terrify.

And in another room, Black Seas Barracuda is crowded by the Corsair ship that I'm slowly plundering for parts.
KMDSsiK.jpg

Aside from this, I usually have whatever I bought last near the computer, with a row of plates along the top of the monitor so I can line up figures there. Currently my (finished) collection of Star Wars figures I used to own as Kenner figures back in the day.

collector.gif

Whoooo! My broadband is back after nine days. Finally! So, let's start with spamming pictures.

My main display is in the livingroom. There's a corner shelf, from top to bottom:

r0OAaIG.jpg

What's fast becoming my Neo Classic Space shelf. I took down the Kingdoms Joust to fit this. I'll make another Exo Suit and make the ground into something more like the old crater plates.

u2zAUCW.jpg

Council of Elrond and refuge for any spare LotR figures I don't know what to do with.

Urkf3sh.jpg

My inn courtyard for all my custom figures.

Ag3Xvt4.jpg

Helm's Deep, which along with the modular street houses everything that doesn't belong anywhere else. It started out with the regular Helm's defenders and 20-ish orcs, but then we just started adding to it.

27a9VHH.jpg

My first custom, which I'm probably gonna redesign one of those days. It's a good place to fit Thorin & Co at least.

Then on top of the game shelves to the right is Orthanc, handily fitting that empty area on a 40 cm low Billy shelf.
qin9DMH.jpg

To the right of Orthanc is a full length Billy and then another low one, where I keep the Imperial Flagship. Near this is a stack of boxes where the viking ship has semi-permanently been placed, but I think the Midgardswyrm is taking an interest in the pirate ship.
rCGMAtr.jpg

Along the top of all this, starting above Orthanc, is a shelf for the modular street.
D4uLwVS.jpg

Café Corner and Market Street

lFXT656.jpg

Green Grocer and Pet Shop

BKYqBU4.jpg

Fire Brigade and Gran... Trendy Arcade

1S1F9aJ.jpg

French Street with Ecto-1, Parisian Restaurant and place for one more modular (currently housing my dragon display)

N1YpqHD.jpg

Shelob is gently dangling from a spare lamp mount, waiting for any arachnophobiacs to terrify.

And in another room, Black Seas Barracuda is crowded by the Corsair ship that I'm slowly plundering for parts.
KMDSsiK.jpg

Aside from this, I usually have whatever I bought last near the computer, with a row of plates along the top of the monitor so I can line up figures there. Currently my (finished) collection of Star Wars figures I used to own as Kenner figures back in the day.

Damn. Everything is awesome there. Love all the sailing ships on display, and of course the hanging Shelob.

Is there a good solution to this "shoulder" problem I keep hearing about on the Exo Suit?

I plan on building it this weekend and seem to recall reading about something.

Is there a good solution to this "shoulder" problem I keep hearing about on the Exo Suit?

I plan on building it this weekend and seem to recall reading about something.

The shoulders connect just fine and art sturdy. It is the decorative piece attached on the front that is fragile as hell. I am curious as to fixes as well.

Krilekk

Banned
Those Jurassic World sets for 2015 really made me sell all my Dino 2012 stuff. But I always saw those as an investment and now it pays off and for my wedding. The current markup on those sets is ridiculous, I get triple what I paid for it. The wife is gonna be pleased. And my hobby room a little bit more accessible. Might even get the BEST STAR and build it. LEGO is like the perfect hobby, you can build it, you(r kids) can play with it, you can display it and you can make money with it.

I think I'll restrict myself much more though. Over the past months I got everything. Atlantis, Miners, Dino, you name it, I bought it. But it's gotten a little out of hand and now I think I'll stick to LEGO Movie, Star Wars TOS, the big Creator sets, CMF, Mixels, winter village. That's already a lot. I think LEGO Movie sets are the most creative, colorful and greatest stuff that LEGO has made in years.

Those Jurassic World sets for 2015 really made me sell all my Dino 2012 stuff. But I always saw those as an investment and now it pays off and for my wedding. The current markup on those sets is ridiculous, I get triple what I paid for it. The wife is gonna be pleased. And my hobby room a little bit more accessible. Might even get the BEST STAR and build it. LEGO is like the perfect hobby, you can build it, you(r kids) can play with it, you can display it and you can make money with it.

I think I'll restrict myself much more though. Over the past months I got everything. Atlantis, Miners, Dino, you name it, I bought it. But it's gotten a little out of hand and now I think I'll stick to LEGO Movie, Star Wars TOS, the big Creator sets, CMF, Mixels, winter village. That's already a lot. I think LEGO Movie sets are the most creative, colorful and greatest stuff that LEGO has made in years.

When you Best Star, which version is that?

Ponn

Banned
That feeling when you were only 5 secs away from getting a pet shop on the cheap... And someone else bought it first.

HAHA, I just saw that to.. AWD Lurkers Club. I think they still have the Ewok Village up though. Most of the Pharaohs Quest stuff from yesterday has sold. I'm still wondering how they keep putting some of those older sets up randomly when they don't take trade ins on Lego. Are they buying these sets from B&M liquidations or just finding these collecting dust in warehouses somewhere.

Top Bottom