• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

neonglow

There... has to be at least one more. Nothing else I was told was wrong, so unless there's another wave or it doesn't count as a Lego Movie set there's gotta be one more. Ah man I'm gonna be SO bummed if that set doesn't actually happen ;____;

I wonder if the car chase will have Bad Cop's car as a car, and the Wild West Pig Sled?

Edit: Also WTF Double-Decker couch, how can they make a whole set out of that? It was already part of the Sea Cow, why would they redo it?

It might be a retailer exclusive set. Those sets are never listed initially with the rest of the lineup. It happens all the time with Star Wars like this year's MTT set.

Delighted by the news of the Double Decker couch, was surprised they didn't do it in the first place. I'd really like it as a cool little thing, but in no way could justify getting the whole sea cow.

Experien

Apologies if this was already posted (hands up if you've been up for 30 hours straight!) but it looks like more Exo Suits & Research Sets are indeed on their way:

https://ideas.lego.com/blogs/1-blog/post/17

TheBrickFan contacted LEGO and they said they aren't making anymore Research Institutes.

Thank you so much for getting in touch with us.

I’m so sorry but we aren’t making the Research Institute any more. This set was LEGO® Ideas set, and only made in limited quantities. The Research Institute has already sold out completly for our stock online. I know how disappointing this can be.

This set will continue to be sold in our LEGO Stores though, so if you have one close by I would recommend giving them a call. You can find all of our stores listed at stores.LEGO.com.

We appreciate your comments, so I’ll be passing your interest in the Research Institute on to the design team. You never know, some of the old treasures might make a comeback! This is exactly what happened with another LEGO Ideas set based on Minecraft. That set was so popular that we ended up bring it back, and making new additions to the line. I have my fingers crossed that it happens with this one as well!

I've thought of this too but the good thing about army building with this particular set, is that you get a Nova Corps guy AND a Sakarnaranannanana guy too, as well as their ships. So you're really army building the both of them and constructing a fleet for each at the same time. Only problem is you'll end up with a ton of Star-Lords.

But I totally agree about the Hydra agent, that is some top shelf BS. I don't want a ton of Caps and Red Skulls, no matter how good I am with a fleet of tanks. I want the Hydra guy. WHO IS ONLY IN THAT SET.

WTF.

It is obviously Bob in the Cap set and not some random HYDRA agent.

tumblr_mk8ov3Zh4P1raik27o1_500.jpg

Rootbeer

Banned
Go through all the effort of getting a set approved just to get one tiny wave of sets shipped out... I've learned the hard way not to pass on an ideas set then, I guess. Particularly if it'd a cheap one like research institute was.

I hope this fiasco won't deter Ideas submitters from doing niche concepts. There is more incentive to do licensed sets because they'd stay in print longer and generate more money.

One tiny run that sells out in a few days or a set that stays in print for a year or more because it has pop culture connections? Which would you make?

Ponn

Banned
Go through all the effort of getting a set approved just to get one tiny wave of sets shipped out... I've learned the hard way not to pass on an ideas set then, I guess. Particularly if it'd a cheap one like research institute was.

I hope this fiasco won't deter Ideas submitters from doing niche concepts. There is more incentive to do licensed sets because they'd stay in print longer and generate more money.

One tiny run that sells out in a few days or a set that stays in print for a year or more because it has pop culture connections? Which would you make?

With the recent talk about females being under represented in merchandise, in particular against Lego, I don't think its a big stretch this set was made in response to that. The way they brought it back into voting and HEY it won, just too blatant. They pumped it up and got it out in the media and sure enough it did catch on. Then they make it one production run which will automatically up the enthusiasm for it in the collector sphere to insane levels. Now at this point if a business was going to business to capitalize on profits you would do more production runs while the fever is rampant, ala Exo Suit. If they don't thats really weird, especially since they are for Exo Suit. Now that makes me question the gender inequality in sets even more if they don't do more runs. My two cents.

Fowler

I don't get the small run on the Research Institute. It got the sort of mainstream press very few sets ever do. It wasn't hard to see this demand coming.

Birthday money all bye bye now.
Just snagged SPACESHIP!, Super Secret Police Drop Ship, and Milano.

Probably going to have to wait a month to build them because I need to pack. Well, will probably build one and then save the others for after the move.

Eklipsis

Any ideas when this next run of the exo suit is to take place? One was ordered for me the day it came out from s@h and it still shows backorder and doesn't give me an approximate date.

mojiimbo

Any ideas when this next run of the exo suit is to take place? One was ordered for me the day it came out from s@h and it still shows backorder and doesn't give me an approximate date.
I think all the September allotment is going towards fulfilling the backorders from the website and then there will be small trickle shipments of both sets to stores around late September/October.

Rootbeer

Banned
I suppose my store could get some research institutes on Monday afternoon... but I won't be able to make it there Mon (Tues is unlikely either)... so, may as well write it off. Honestly, I only want it for its limited nature, otherwise I would have bought one when I placed my order for two exo-suits. I may be kicking myself now, but I'll get over it pretty quick

Especially since I may break down and get a Tumblr on Sept 1st... still deciding what I'm going to do. Only thing that is set in stone is I'm definitely placing an order for $99 or above in order to get the two free polybags... just a matter of what to get. UCS Tumblr? UCS Sandcrawler? 2014 Sewer Lair? Something else? Hmm

Eklipsis

Cool...last time I was there they still had the power armor set...and the local Walmart has it for $9 on the app but are actually out of stock(although the app says they are in stock).

Picked up another GAF recommended set...Hive Crawler!

My wife rolled her eyes when I spotted a rural walmart and had to stop to check clearance. It was $35.

Hopefully we'll group build tonight.

Ponn

Banned
I just got an order through, thanks for the heads up!

Now to get that pesky Research Institute...

Awesome glad I could help.

Missed again...alas

Aw sorry. I read your post earlier and then saw that pop on Amazon and was specifically hoping you would get one. Don't worry theres a couple of us here that lurk on Amazon all day we will get you one yet. Sounds like they have a shipment coming in monday so i'm sure it will pop some more during the weekend or at very least check all day monday.

SPEAK OF THE DEVIL its up again, gooooooooo!

wetwired

so my bulk order of Minifakes came through yesterday, somewhat mixed results...

IMG_20140815_213522.jpg

Joker isn't too bad, I like the, what I can only assume is Batman Beyond, though the bat symbol on the chest looks a bit small to me. Bizarro is a pretty good match, though obviously his feet are a different mould than LEGOs and he has some paint chipped off the eye brow too. Not bad though for $2, definitely beats paying $1000+ for the official SDCC one.

IMG_20140815_215219.jpg

My complete Joker collection (Until the Tumbler comes out) my custom one 2nd from the right and the fake on the far right. My only real complaint is that his eyes look a bit too wide/far apart compared to a regular minifig.

IMG_20140815_215440.jpg

Justice League Complete at last!, the Minifakes being Shazam, Green Lantern and Green Arrow. I've found with these fakes the ones with a mask or covered face fair the best, as you can see by Shazam's alternate face, printed way too high and loking mongoloid.
IMG_20140815_213623.jpg

IMG_20140815_221043.jpg

Lastly my Iron Man Collection, Minifakes being the black ones, white one and the red and grey one. I'm pissed that I can't find my legit red with triangle chest design, it seems to have gone walkabout.

There's to black ones that are very similar that look like they've come from different manufacturers, one has blue eyes and one white and the designs are the same but with slight variations, different thickness lines etc. Interestingly they both have misaligned chest light prints.

I think there's 3 more I want to pick up, 2 grey variants and a gold one so I'll have to keep an eye out for those.

I also got a big hulk, cyclops, all 4 TMNT and Capt America for my kids, the big hulk is pretty damn good to be honest, The turtles are hit and miss really.

I am sitting here building the Milano and came to a very obvious realization that I am ashamed to say I never quite noticed based on pics.

This thing is following classic space color scheme. Blue, yellow, and grey. Very cool.

EDIT: Just finished book 1. My god. This thing is glorious. Even better than Quinjet was at this point in the build, and I LOVE the Quinjet.

The build is so flarking great so far, and only better because of loving the movie and the ship in it so much. I just wonder if Awesome Mix vol 1 or vol 2 is in the tape deck at this point.

so my bulk order of Minifakes came through yesterday, somewhat mixed results...

IMG_20140815_215440.jpg

Justice League Complete at last!, the Minifakes being Shazam, Green Lantern and Green Arrow. I've found with these fakes the ones with a mask or covered face fair the best, as you can see by Shazam's alternate face, printed way too high and loking mongoloid.

What's good about Shazam (shame they don't call him Captain Marvel anymore) is you can replace his head piece easily with an actual LEGO head.

Milano is finished.

My god. It is beautiful. I know my love of the film and the ship in it is coloring my response to the set (and maybe the extreme exhaustion as well), but the Milano is incredible.
So many cool angles and assembly techniques throughout. I love how much you can actually pose all the fins on the ship to give it more character.

The figures are divine as well. But the swooshability. So swooshable. Equal to the Quinjet for the most swooshable thing I have bought. I just want a fleet of these things in slight color variations. I want one with a redneck Yondu figure and a bunch of Ravagers.

I am just beaming with joy from building this thing. I will have to disassemble it in a week or two so I can move, but that just means I have to build it again. It also makes me want to reassemble the Quinjet and make stands for both of them.

TLDR Review: DAMN. Just buy the set.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
21113 The Cave
sJWhK7m.jpg

21114 The Farm
ATMimkf.jpg

u55llx1.png

Disappointment doesn't even begin to describe these. I thought the micro sets were perfect--little environments with microfigs that fit inside their themed boxes.
Sure, it's probably the best they could do with minifig-scale Minecraft, but it just looks so...sad. They'll probably go with that sad looking Creeper prototype after all.

I just hope they keep doing micro sets.

Ravek

Banned

(Sorry, shitty pic with horrible flash)

Whats this? The Exo-Suit found something in his travels...wonder what might happen...
hint

Back at my house with my Exo-Suits (among other new sets).

So that build was interesting. The only part I find horribly fragile are the shoulder pads, but I'm sure that might change.

Overall, I love the set. I can't wait to mod and have themed EXO-SUITS!

Top Bottom