• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
21113 The Cave
sJWhK7m.jpg

21114 The Farm
ATMimkf.jpg

I like the square heads, but the regular minifigure body just doesn't mesh well.

Question: Are the TNT and Workbench bricks printed or stickers? One thing that I think would have made these sets special is if they printed every block side. Of course that would be impractical and expensive, and the paint might scrape off if you put the blocks together. Thing is, that it just looks so plain and barren without the pixellated look.

1.png
31.jpg

Alternatively, instead of printing, you can use special molded pieces to add texture:

Rootbeer

Banned
almost bought a town hall at awhd. was only $20 off though. was tempting... but maybe i should just be content with Parisian Restaurant and Pet Shop for now? Do I really want to go down the dark path of collecting all the modulars? I've already missed several that are out of print now... feels like i would not be able to catch up

Krilekk

Banned
I don't get the small run on the Research Institute. It got the sort of mainstream press very few sets ever do. It wasn't hard to see this demand coming.

Actually it was. The overwhelming response after it was said Research Institute was the next set was that it was pretty meh. The same was still true after the official set was first shown. Only after that did the press coverage start. But at that point the set was already produced in the quantities that were justified back then. These things are produced months before they actually release, it takes several weeks to ship them across the world, distribute them to the stores. There is no way for LEGO to react to short term increases in demand. They can only take what they have and distribute it differently. That's why my order from S@H will be fulfilled and isn't cancelled.

Minecraft:

To me that isn't LEGO anymore if everything would be printed blocks. Part of LEGO is imagination and being able to build different stuff from the blocks.

almost bought a town hall at awhd. was only $20 off though. was tempting... but maybe i should just be content with Parisian Restaurant and Pet Shop for now? Do I really want to go down the dark path of collecting all the modulars? I've already missed several that are out of print now... feels like i would not be able to catch up

It's not impossible:
http://www.beardednerd.se/how-to-piece-together-a-ucs-millennium-falcon-or-any-other-expensive-out-of-print-lego-set/

I came out of my dark ages in 2012 so I had to catch up, and to be fair I _did_ get a major raise this year which certainly helped accelerate things. If you only get one of the out-of-print ones, get Green Grocer. It's that good. And with Erebor (and still Haunted House), there will be a supply of sand green for a little while longer. After that, it will get really tricky.

Edit: Oh look, speaking of Erebor. Still rather disappointing (and how are Kili and Fili anywhere near that place?) but it's the last major Middle-earth set and Smaug will never ever be released anywhere else, so...

Fowler

They're much better than the leaked pics but it still feels like a small step up form buying those basic brick buckets. These wouldn't be out of place with the Junior line.

I wonder if that's the idea, actually. Minecraft is insanely popular with kids, but the previous sets were full of 1x1 bricks. I wonder if this is their way of making it more accessible to younger LEGO fans.

Fowler

Actually it was. The overwhelming response after it was said Research Institute was the next set was that it was pretty meh. The same was still true after the official set was first shown. Only after that did the press coverage start. But at that point the set was already produced in the quantities that were justified back then. These things are produced months before they actually release, it takes several weeks to ship them across the world, distribute them to the stores. There is no way for LEGO to react to short term increases in demand. They can only take what they have and distribute it differently. That's why my order from S@H will be fulfilled and isn't cancelled.

So I disagree, and here's why.

I work for CNN, and believe me, as SOON as they announced it was the next Ideas/Cuusoo set, we were asking them for interviews and access to the designer. It was on our radar well before we actually did stories on it; we were just waiting for more elements from LEGO before we went with it. And I don't think we were the only ones given how many other mainstream outlets eventually reported on the set, but I don't have proof of that.

What I DO have proof of is that there was a pretty clear sign it would get mainstream attention. Remember the female scientist minifig from series 11? THAT generated plenty of press, and that wasn't a special standalone set or anything -- it was one minifig out of a series of 16. I don't think they specially highlighted or hyped the set to mainstream outlets; if they did, I didn't get the press release on that. Either way, it got wider press than most LEGO stories do:

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/lifestyle/2013/09/lego-unveils-first-female-lego-scientist/

http://www.today.com/parents/last-lego-creates-female-scientist-minifigure-8C11083650

That's why I honestly think this wasn't hard to predict. Of course this next bit is only anecdotal evidence, but I know plenty of people at work who aren't LEGO fans but wanted to buy the set anyway for what it represents. They don't mind that it's kinda boring because they're not really into LEGO anymore. So it's pretty sad that they won't be able to buy the set because it's simply not available.

One more thing, actually: What's stopping them making more? Not calling LEGO out, just curious. Are there some unique printed pieces in there that are hard to start making again?

Interesting angle, Fowler. I didn't realize there had been *any* coverage of the set to be honest.

With regard to just "printing more", I suspect the TLG has honed their production schedules such that there is limited idle time in the factory. I remember one of the stories about their return to glory spoke about capitalizing on this.

wetwired

quite chuffed with my progress tonight, not only did I figure out a way to make the cave walls curve inwards at the top without using inverted slopes (all the BURPs are fitted upsidedown), I managed to finish all the wall work (slopes will be added later for a more sculpted look, I also took a trip to the local electronics store looking for some lighting solutions, I came home with some LED strips and a Soldering Iron, my first attempt was a success as you can see with the light in the arches.

WIP4.jpg

I bought a few LED strips so I'll be putting at least one above the left platform with some hanging lights like this...

Batcave_(2).jpg

and probably a few scattered ones illuminating the walls and above the batmobile.

Next step is the ground treatment and water areas/waterfall in the hole in the right, sculpt the rocks some more, build the glass batsuit cabinet thing, computer on the left platform, the hanging light above the platform, some bats scattered around the ceiling (might hide man bat up there somewhere, some chains and random details in the arches, elevator door etc.

I need to make the platform "the bat" is on large too as it's too small atm. It wouldn't be accurate but I'm thinking of pushing it back so the left platform is the most forward, then I can move the tumbler forward as well and have the whole scene a bit clearer to see, the tumbler wouldn't be hidden then. What do you guys think? I've already had to take liberties by moving the waterfall so I doubt anyone would notice.

I'm also tempted to spice it up a bit, pretend it is an extended nolan Universe, make a nolan nightwing/robin, add a few touches about the place like more computers etc or something?

Rootbeer

Banned
Looking good wet. As for your question, I'd try to build the most accurate version first, take a bunch of snaps, then I'd mod it into something that maybe a mix of the nolan and comic universes (or animated, or what-have-you... how about the LEGO Batcave from the games?)

update on the new Dark Side LEGO book... release date changed to Sept 1st.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1465418970/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Not bad as a first attempt....

In case you don't know these are X-pod top container lids and the Kaneda (Akira) bike by Avro requires 6 (I think) but in red they go on BL for about £10-20 each, other colours (my test pieces were green and I have a stock of white) were about 10 pence per piece.

Used a can of white primer I already had then £3 can of enamel paint to get the red. It's a close enough match for me and I may yet polish them up.

Now to look at the other rare parts I will need including the scala dish that goes for (or is listed at) £120 for one on Bricklink!

In case you don't know these are X-pod top container lids and the Kaneda (Akira) bike by Avro requires 6 (I think) but in red they go on BL for about £10-20 each, other colours (my test pieces were green and I have a stock of white) were about 10 pence per piece.

Used a can of white primer I already had then £3 can of enamel paint to get the red. It's a close enough match for me and I may yet polish them up.

Now to look at the other rare parts I will need including the scala dish that goes for (or is listed at) £120 for one on Bricklink!

Scala dish?

$T2eC16d,!)0E9s37HlMQBRVJUmeK+g~~60_35.JPG

What the hell? Did the guy who designed that set intentionally use rare parts just to mess with people? lol

That's the one Phon. I thought the same thing but will just paint them too. Probably do it chrome instead as I think on the bike it is metallic.

My wife suggests I sell some painted versions but I don't know if I can get them professional enough to charge for them. Either way I am buying non-correct colour parts in multiple to allow for mistakes but can eaisly paint in bulk just in case and sell/trade any spare to help people out.

Right now it's even hard to get the book, I got pointed to a Chinese Lego shop that took all invetory from the Arvo bros. and it's taken about 15 days just to get to the pint where they have confirmed psrice and shipping.

If anyone is interested this is the HK based place; https://zh-tw.facebook.com/LetsGoCreate. The book goes for HK$360 but has instructions and stickers as well as parts list. You can't do without it really. They also said they "still have few copies available".

I'm just glad they can help as I saw this months ago but then forgot about it.

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemIn.asp?P=6942&colorID=5&in=A

Try to get the complete sets instead. Of course, you will get a ton of crap that you definitely won't ever use, but still.

Ponn

Banned
So I disagree, and here's why.

I work for CNN, and believe me, as SOON as they announced it was the next Ideas/Cuusoo set, we were asking them for interviews and access to the designer. It was on our radar well before we actually did stories on it; we were just waiting for more elements from LEGO before we went with it. And I don't think we were the only ones given how many other mainstream outlets eventually reported on the set, but I don't have proof of that.

What I DO have proof of is that there was a pretty clear sign it would get mainstream attention. Remember the female scientist minifig from series 11? THAT generated plenty of press, and that wasn't a special standalone set or anything -- it was one minifig out of a series of 16. I don't think they specially highlighted or hyped the set to mainstream outlets; if they did, I didn't get the press release on that. Either way, it got wider press than most LEGO stories do:

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/lifestyle/2013/09/lego-unveils-first-female-lego-scientist/

http://www.today.com/parents/last-lego-creates-female-scientist-minifigure-8C11083650

That's why I honestly think this wasn't hard to predict. Of course this next bit is only anecdotal evidence, but I know plenty of people at work who aren't LEGO fans but wanted to buy the set anyway for what it represents. They don't mind that it's kinda boring because they're not really into LEGO anymore. So it's pretty sad that they won't be able to buy the set because it's simply not available.

One more thing, actually: What's stopping them making more? Not calling LEGO out, just curious. Are there some unique printed pieces in there that are hard to start making again?

I gave my views on this last page but I do have something to add that I have noticed not only with this set but in regards to other items that are usually discussed as hot button topics, for instance diversity in comics. Bloggers are always drumming up awareness but I notice they go silent when the things they are actually fighting for happen or out there. What I mean is, for instance comics, banging drums for diversity but being MIA when genuine comics with diversity come along and languish for several months till being cancelled. This Lego set here, i'm positive a huge amount of its sales were normal AFOL's and scalpers. Now this is anecdotal I know but I observed, even in the GAF thread in OT that was made, you have alot of people praising they make this set and claiming to support it and I saw bloggers doing the same with their followers. What I didn't notice was a huge outcry of them being sold out and not available, and I still don't see that EXCEPT from the normal AFOL's and Lego collectors.

What i'm trying to get at is if these people that are praising Lego for doing this and demand companies produce sets like this were so intent on buying these sets, why are they not crying bloody murder that they are not available since they were sold out in less then a day. To me its just very telling that if you were really intent on supporting such things and not just trying to make noise "because internet" that you would be pretty pissed off if you really did go to buy them and they weren't available and be making even more noise about it then the crickets i've been seeing outside the normal Lego discussion boards. Again just my two cents.

Oh wow thats really awesome box art. Is it just me thats laughing at that floating Smaug head leering at Bilbo in the corner in the mini fig lineup?

Ravek

Banned
Heads up, I just got back from Target where I picked up three Series 3 Mixels : Hoogi and Scorpi (sand?), and Torts (slime).

rallaren

Is it just me thats laughing at that floating Smaug head leering at Bilbo in the corner in the mini fig lineup?
Reminds me of WoW. Edit: Well duh they're not all that different.

Tumbler looks good but would be really nice if turning, for example, the engine exhaust in the rear was connected to the front wheels.

21113 The Cave
sJWhK7m.jpg

21114 The Farm
ATMimkf.jpg

They're not that bad, if anything I'd say they actually do perfectly capture the Minecraft look other than the non-square bodies. Really, those minifigs are the worst part I'd say. I'm guessing there'll be more, considering the lack of a creeper in either of these?

neonglow

They're not that bad, if anything I'd say they actually do perfectly capture the Minecraft look other than the non-square bodies. Really, those minifigs are the worst part I'd say. I'm guessing there'll be more, considering the lack of a creeper in either of these?

There will be a total of 6 sets. I think one of them is just a bucket of bricks with Minecraft type parts.

Ravek

Banned
Why am I more excited for these then I am the Tumbler?

I'm the same way. And honestly, I'm debating not getting the Tumbler now. It looks amazing and I'd really love to have the Joker minifig and those huge new tires, but for some reason I'm not too excited about it anymore.

I looks to me like the workbench, pumpkin, and TNT bricks are all printed. It also looks like the heads for the animals (spider, sheep, cow) are... a new shape? They almost look like an L-shape instead of an actual block? Or am I just crazy because of the angle they're at?

Edit: Looking at the spider it reeeeeally looks like the head is an L-shape block. WTF? Have I just never seen that piece before?

Also why in the helllllllllll did they make Steve's hair on his face black, but the rest of the brick is brown. That is going to bug the crap out of me.

Edit 2: 2nd picture his hair print looks brown? So confused right now.

Ponn

Banned
I'm the same way. And honestly, I'm debating not getting the Tumbler now. It looks amazing and I'd really love to have the Joker minifig and those huge new tires, but for some reason I'm not too excited about it anymore.

I wasn't too hot on the idea at first, then I was caught up in the announcement excitement and now yea i'm feeling the same way. I feel I eventually want it, but there is more expensive sets I think I would have more fun with like for instance Seacow.

Maybe I will put the Tumbler on my Christmas list and see what happens.

Man I need that Mixel Wizard tribe like right now though.

Rootbeer

Banned
Hmm, well, no mixels series 3 at my main two targets... maybe next week. not that worried... series 2 has been really easy for me to find.

maybe the lego store will be stocking them on sept first... i'll add the full wave to my order that day if so.

I'm also struggling with rather I'll get the tumbler or not... I need to watch more review videos i guess.

Fowler

A friend at work said they really want the Sydney Opera House set... and I happen to have an unopened Sydney Opera House set at home that I don't really want and don't have room for. Only thing is I got it as a birthday present, so I feel a bit guilty about selling it.

I could totally use the money to buy the UCS Tumbler, a set I really want AND will gladly make space for. But still have this lingering guilt about trying to sell a gift.

What would you do, LEGO-GAF?

robochimp

I just built the Ultra Agents Infearno Interception set with my son. That is probably one of the sturdiest wheeled vehicle we've built so far. It's also probably one of the best looking sets we've done. Infearno is pretty awesome with his fire suit and surf board.

It's too bad the rest of the line doesn't look as inspired as this set.

A friend at work said they really want the Sydney Opera House set... and I happen to have an unopened Sydney Opera House set at home that I don't really want and don't have room for. Only thing is I got it as a birthday present, so I feel a bit guilty about selling it.

I could totally use the money to buy the UCS Tumbler, a set I really want AND will gladly make space for. But still have this lingering guilt about trying to sell a gift.

How long ago did you get it as a gift, and how important a person was it from?

Ryuuroden

Wow, look at all those dinosaurs in the front.

1408154349002-Lego-3.jpg

Well shit, if they go back to the TRU's I wonder if they will sell them at clearance or something and I can get them to ship some of those dino sets here. I didn't get them at the time because I had limited funds when those were out and needed to decide what sets I wanted the most so I never got them. On a sorta related note, I just got the 2 CMF figures I was missing to complete my series 4 and series 7. Now I just need Shakespeare.

wetwired

Looking good wet. As for your question, I'd try to build the most accurate version first, take a bunch of snaps, then I'd mod it into something that maybe a mix of the nolan and comic universes (or animated, or what-have-you... how about the LEGO Batcave from the games?)

I don't have time to an accurate version first unfortunately, it'd have to be the other way around. I've gotta get this done for the expo in early October on top of work commitments.

I was thinking of doing it as if the universe kept on going, wayne hung around and added nightwing/robin, got some new gadgets or something

R-User!

You didn't end up having room for the Opera House, and you were presented with an opportunity to trade the gift you loved for one that you equally love but actually have display space for, and enough money left over for the VW Van/or Mini Cooper which you love as much as the Tumbler too!!!

;) You're welcome.

Edit: I mean the Opera House is coffee table BEAST you know!... You must not have realized that you wouldbt have anywhere to put it once you built it... What were you THINKING?!... :)

mojiimbo

That's the one Phon. I thought the same thing but will just paint them too. Probably do it chrome instead as I think on the bike it is metallic.

My wife suggests I sell some painted versions but I don't know if I can get them professional enough to charge for them. Either way I am buying non-correct colour parts in multiple to allow for mistakes but can eaisly paint in bulk just in case and sell/trade any spare to help people out.

Right now it's even hard to get the book, I got pointed to a Chinese Lego shop that took all invetory from the Arvo bros. and it's taken about 15 days just to get to the pint where they have confirmed psrice and shipping.

If anyone is interested this is the HK based place; https://zh-tw.facebook.com/LetsGoCreate. The book goes for HK$360 but has instructions and stickers as well as parts list. You can't do without it really. They also said they "still have few copies available".

I'm just glad they can help as I saw this months ago but then forgot about it.
How much did it come out to with shipping? Do they have a storefront or do you have to contact them through their Facebook page?

Yeah, maybe the build wouldn't be so bad if you could paint or dye the rarer parts.

http://youtu.be/5j9tsrk0-K0

Do you know which tires it uses?

ghostmind

I'm not really feeling picking up the Tumbler right away either anymore. It sounds like you get to use a ton of different techniques, but the monochrome nature of the set, as well as the use of stickers instead of the expected prints has cooled my interest somewhat.

I'm also more interested in picking up the Series 3 Mixels.

Help me out guys, is the 4x4 crawler worth picking up? I kinda want it but I haven't built anything technic in years (and the price tag scares me a bit)

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Help me out guys, is the 4x4 crawler worth picking up? I kinda want it but I haven't built anything technic in years (and the price tag scares me a bit)

It's a really cool set with a great introduction to Technic vehicles with good PF. My only complaint is that the default build moves slow as shit. You can mod it to go faster I think, but also - you can use the parts to build a nice little vehicle with more *umph*.

Ryuuroden

I enjoyed it. It was the first technic set I had built since I was 12? so about 20 years. I got the LE version of it. If has gotten me re-interested in the line and because of it I want that transport plane that came out this year.

I'm not getting the Tumbler for the simple fact that I hated that Batmobile design. Give me something from the older movies instead, never liked that ugly tank design.

Krilekk

Banned
I looks to me like the workbench, pumpkin, and TNT bricks are all printed. It also looks like the heads for the animals (spider, sheep, cow) are... a new shape? They almost look like an L-shape instead of an actual block? Or am I just crazy because of the angle they're at?

Edit: Looking at the spider it reeeeeally looks like the head is an L-shape block. WTF? Have I just never seen that piece before?

Also why in the helllllllllll did they make Steve's hair on his face black, but the rest of the brick is brown. That is going to bug the crap out of me.

Edit 2: 2nd picture his hair print looks brown? So confused right now.

Not only the heads are strange. From the animal backs they clearly are two studs wide. Which means the head pieces are smaller. And the legs look like normal 1x1 but there's a gap between them. So they seem like a new piece as well (half size of head piece).

Ponn

Banned
I clicked on it and a 3rd party reseller showed it for $59.95.

Only 12 left in stock.
Sold by Willy's Toy Box and Fulfilled by Amazon. Gift-wrap available.

It's been going in and out since friday. Stays up for like 10 - 20 min at a time and was a preorder shipping monday but last time it was up had a date of the 23rd. Basically just keep checking that Amazon page if you really want an Exo Suit and nab it as soon as you see it.

Top Bottom