• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

With all the modular talk the past few days, I'm surprised nobody brought up this book.

The LEGO Neighbourhood Book by Brickset, on Flickr

http://brickset.com/article/12076

The guy sells modular instructions online. I'm sure most here have seen his Chllis MOC.
https://www.brickcitydepot.com/

city_banner3.jpg

Well, there are tons of custom modulars, and at least at a glance those don't seem to be on the same level as the official ones. Maybe next year, when it's another year until a new one, I might crack and start looking into customs, but for now it's enough.

Started building Town Hall, was sorting some pieces and it kinda looks like I'm short quite a few. Not too stoked about that if it turns out to be true. :mad:

Well, there are tons of custom modulars, and at least at a glance those don't seem to be on the same level as the official ones. Maybe next year, when it's another year until a new one, I might crack and start looking into customs, but for now it's enough.

Yeah, there are a lot of modular MOCs. I just brought this one up because of the book coming out. One of the reviews states it's more for beginners and intermediate (which I would classify myself ... "advanced" beginner).

I've been looking at LEGO building books and have not been able to bring myself to buy one yet (not counting the character encyclopedia or minifig ones). Many of them look pretty good, but with all the MOCs on the internet (Flickr, LEGO blogs, etc) I think I could get just as much inspiration.

Rootbeer

Banned
Speaking of books, LEGO Star Wars: The Dark Side is only $10.70 right now on amazon if you didn't get it yet. Comes with what is perhaps the best Palpatine minifig we have gotten to-date.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1465418970/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I do like that neighborhood book though, it's on my wishlist.

Thanks. Now to figure out what to get.

judging by your avatar? tons of options :p So much SW stuff came out this year. Really good OT sets.

Or you can do like me and oneknightr... get the haunted house before it's gone for good (could be at any time, though hopefully they have stock to last through halloween)

leng jai

Just finished the build for the Tumbler. What a beastly set, over 3 times the size of the 2005 version and significantly bigger than I expected. The interior is pretty neat and more elaborate than it had to be. The only downside is the stickers (which I didn't bother with). Honestly there really shouldn't be any stickers in a UCS set costing several hundred dollars. The spec sheet in particular should have been a printed piece. Might post some comparison photos with the old model later.

Gotta love the Joker fig, that on its own is going to be worth a lot.

Rootbeer

Banned
Just finished the build for the Tumbler. What a beastly set, over 3 times the size of the 2005 version and significantly bigger than I expected. The interior is pretty neat and more elaborate than it had to be. The only downside is the stickers (which I didn't bother with). Honestly there really shouldn't be any stickers in a UCS set costing several hundred dollars. The spec sheet in particular should have been a printed piece. Might post some comparison photos with the old model later.

Gotta love the Joker fig, that on its own is going to be worth a lot.

Stickers... the bane of modern LEGO buyers everywhere :( Wonder how LEGO will respond when stickergate finally hits? We know a lot of people have been reporting peeling stickers on sets that are even less than a decade old... it's only going to become a more relevant problem in the coming years.

Though supposedly they have made adjustments to the stickers so this doesn't happen anymore? I hope that is true, but I'm really skeptical.

At the very least, UCS should be sticker-free like you said.

leng jai

Stickers... the bane of modern LEGO buyers everywhere :( Wonder how LEGO will respond when stickergate finally hits? We know a lot of people have been reporting peeling stickers on sets that are even less than a decade old... it's only going to become a more relevant problem in the coming years.

Though supposedly they have made adjustments to the stickers so this doesn't happen anymore? I hope that is true, but I'm really skeptical.

At the very least, UCS should be sticker-free like you said.

The spec sheet is the only one I used and it has some bubbles on the edges which just won't stick. Hardly very "ultimate".

Rootbeer

Banned
I asked JANG what he paid for his Dino sets, which he reviewed only recently this summer. He got them all 50% off on clearance at TRU... maaaan i miss all the good deals!

Honestly I have never even seen LEGO on clearance at TRU... I don't know why. Maybe my TRU sucks

Rootbeer

Banned
In my TRU they just have the stuff sitting right next to the normal inventory. Just change price tags.

well I am on the lookout constantly... i never see anything though. ugh.

Anyway i'm beating myself up again... cause I was very close to buying this... I submitted a lower offer, which was ACCEPTED and I got an e-mail saying as such, but after I clicked the e-mail link the auction had already sold... another offer was also accepted and the buyer clicked faster than me I guess?

http://r.ebay.com/JYLgJS

Look at that Raptor set... I could have got all this for $46... :(

--

*edit* found a custom Sabine
$_57.JPG

For another cool new LEGO book, DK has released the LEGO Architecture Visual Guide.

9781465422866_p0_v1_s600.JPG

Has information about each model in the series, breakdowns about the design work, and details on the real buildings as well. A really nice, cool book that comes in a slip case.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Bidding on an item... problem with the listing... contact seller... he relists it at a higher price

Fuck this guy

eBay'ing sets is frustrating. Especially if they list it lower than the "going price". I tend to only search for Buy It Now stuff anymore...Shill bidding has made it even worse to bid on shit.

Lego Gaf (particulary those that have the Best Star!).... I need your help.

I need to create a spot for my death Star and I think I have found a place. I want to install floating corner shelves in my mancave. My issue... is what size should I get? Does anybody (I am at work so I cant do it now) have a best star they can put in a corner and tell me roughly how big a shelf I will need? I need it to not only be wide enough but deep enough as well....
[

Do you think this would be big enough?
http://[URL="http://www.homedepot.com/p/Home-Decorators-Collection-18-in-x-1-3-4-in-H-White-Floating-Corner-Shelf-HDCAEC18W/203662805?MERCH=RV-_-RV_nav_plp_rr-2-_-NA-_-203662805-_-N#specifications"][/URL]

Help me obi wan.... or gaf... you are my only hope!

Lego Gaf (particulary those that have the Best Star!).... I need your help.

I need to create a spot for my death Star and I think I have found a place. I want to install floating corner shelves in my mancave. My issue... is what size should I get? Does anybody (I am at work so I cant do it now) have a best star they can put in a corner and tell me roughly how big a shelf I will need? I need it to not only be wide enough but deep enough as well....

Help me obi wan.... or gaf... you are my only hope!

Just eyeballing where mine was the other week, a shelf a bit bigger than a 48x48 plate. Maybe about 20"x20" square? That would be about the size of 64x64. Seems right without too much hanging off the edge.

I added a link to a corner shelf that I like. Not sure if it is big enough tho.

I am just guessing still. I had the Best Star on top of my sub woofer, and right now I have a stack of empty baseplates on there. That is what I am using to eyeball it.

I am sure some others are going to pop on with more accurate measurements soon. The only thing to keep in mind with the Best Star is the super laser sticking out.

I am just guessing still. I had the Best Star on top of my sub woofer, and right now I have a stack of empty baseplates on there. That is what I am using to eyeball it.

I am sure some others are going to pop on with more accurate measurements soon. The only thing to keep in mind with the Best Star is the super laser sticking out.

Right... I think putting it in a corner off the ground will fix the laser sticking out... I just dont want have of the death start sticking out....

You show this as I keep packing up all my current LEGO. Almost done. Just two or so boxes to go. Looking like about 15 boxes just for my collective of bricks. About 8 or so boxes (of varying sizes) to house all the sets I usually keep displayed and separate. One of those boxes contains a backlog of sets I bought the other week and am saving for the move.

Of course, adding one more giant set to it won't be that awful. Maybe just keep Tumbler in the car so I have something to build that week I am in temp housing before the new apartment is ready.

Ugh. So much more packing to do...I feel sick.

Your post got me thinking about what I would need to do to pack all the stuff I have (Lego and Star Wars prop replicas). We have a long term goal of buying a house in five years. It might sound long, but with two kids now, time flies like crazy. I don't even want to imagine how many boxes I'm going to need to pack up my collection in order to have them transported safely (I have a huge backlog of sealed sets).

If you get a chance and are able to take a pic of all your boxes, I'd love to see it. And yes, packing and moving sucks.

Ainaurdur

Last night I ordered An Unexpected Gathering and six of the Series 3 Mixels from S@H.
Came to a perfect $99.93 subtotal. Spaceman get!

I will be sure to pick up the remaining three Mixels next month with whatever else I order to take advantage of double points. Probably Orthanc.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Not LEGO, but I just purchased the new Nanoblock Hogwarts Castle. A new limited set they put out at Japan's Universal. I also found out that my Cinderella Castle I bought a year or two ago is worth a stupid amount of money now. A+ (however, it's never leaving my home).

Anybody know how to see a list of all the parts you used on a model in lego digital designer? I can see the number of parts but not which parts I used.

ghostmind

For me, Slave I is near the top of my favorite vehicles from the OT, so this UCS set will be a day one purchase and will finally dethrone the UCS B-Wing in my den display area.

No idea on release date yet, but the price is reported to be $199.99USD.

The Boba Fett minifig is an entirely new printing, as is the Bespin Guard.

Fowler

For me, Slave I is near the top of my favorite vehicles from the OT, so this UCS set will be a day one purchase and will finally dethrone the UCS B-Wing in my den display area.

No idea on release date yet, but the price is reported to be $199.99USD.

Problem for me with the OT is that basically every ship is a classic! The X-Wing is my favourite.

And the Falcon.

And the Star Destroyer.

And the TIE Fighter.

And... oh god.

Kyari

Kind of a weird question, anyone have suggestions as to readily available joints to make a snake-like construct? I'm thinking maybe mixel joints or some of the cheaper hero factory sets that have a ton of balljoint pieces in.

Ryuuroden

Kind of a weird question, anyone have suggestions as to readily available joints to make a snake-like construct? I'm thinking maybe mixel joints or some of the cheaper hero factory sets that have a ton of balljoint pieces in.

Look up the building pdf for the various galaxy squad sets with the snake like bugs.

Rootbeer

Banned
ghostmind's sources are not to be questioned!

AWESOOOMMEEE!

And that new Boba Fett has a new print omg! ARM PRINTING!

Please be $200 not $250 T__T

ghostmind

Interesting that the LEGO Minecraft Facebook page is saying that the sets will be available in November, as I thought it was October.

Anyway, I showed the pics of the boxes to my son this weekend, and he thinks that he would be into it. And here I thought I might be able to skip a theme - lol.

I've built the Arcitecture office and it is fantastic. Can't upload pic but check brickcitydepot for CB028.

Top Bottom