• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

ghostmind

Here you go ghostmind, Samurai Darth Vader >.>

FIG-KAI-8008.jpg

Although Jables is the one with him actually as an avatar

That face/mouth is a thing of nightmares!

Yeah I've had to be very selective in just the super heroes theme alone

Someone returned the Ultimate Spider-Man set with Spidey VS Doc Ock with Iron Fist. It rings up as $15, so it'd be about $7.50, but I dunno, should I? Is Iron Fist available anywhere else? I already have the new Doc and a Spidey, the biggest draw for me is The Fist and maybe some of the parts?

I've said it before but I think most of the superhero builds are really weak, with a few exceptions. That having been said I keep buying them because I want the figures. I'm ashamed to admit that I bought that awful Green Goblin set last week just...just because I want the Power Man figure which is an AWFUL figure. I have a problem.

I think Iron Fist is only in that set WordAssassin. I bought him loose at BrickFete last year for $12 CDN so yes, you should buy the set.

Trying to decide what to buy for $99 to get that Spaceman promo. Thought about just buying the promo on eBay, but some crazy prices. Might as well buy something.

I went with the Milano and a small SW set I didn't have yet. Trying to rationalize both the 2013/2014 WV sets, the VW van and the restaurant modular before the end of the year. That's pushing upwards of $500 and I'm not sure I can justify it.

Ponn

Banned
Someone returned the Ultimate Spider-Man set with Spidey VS Doc Ock with Iron Fist. It rings up as $15, so it'd be about $7.50, but I dunno, should I? Is Iron Fist available anywhere else? I already have the new Doc and a Spidey, the biggest draw for me is The Fist and maybe some of the parts?

Yesssss....if you aren't going to get the other Doc Ock set its an ok Doc Ock but you are getting it for the awesome Iron Fist. Theres also some pretty nice unique pieces in the set. I'm thinking of combining it with the MF Frankenstein set this year for halloween to make a bigger mad scientist scene.

Be forewarned though, you will have to pick up that new Green Goblin set to get Power Man to complete your Heroes for Hire.

Yesssss....if you aren't going to get the other Doc Ock set its an ok Doc Ock but you are getting it for the awesome Iron Fist. Theres also some pretty nice unique pieces in the set. I'm thinking of combining it with the MF Frankenstein set this year for halloween to make a bigger mad scientist scene.

Be forewarned though, you will have to pick up that new Green Goblin set to get Power Man to complete your Heroes for Hire.
DUDE. One of the sets that was in the stolen group is the Mad Scientist's Monster set which I have dibs on, and mixing that with the doc's lab is an AMAZING idea. Totally gonna get it now. Thanks for the advice everyone!

And yeah I totally had the Heroes for Hire thought. I want the Gobby set anyway cause of the turbines so it's not so bad.

ghostmind

I've said it before but I think most of the superhero builds are really weak, with a few exceptions. That having been said I keep buying them because I want the figures. I'm ashamed to admit that I bought that awful Green Goblin set last week just...just because I want the Power Man figure which is an AWFUL figure. I have a problem.

I think Iron Fist is only in that set WordAssassin. I bought him loose at BrickFete last year for $12 CDN so yes, you should buy the set.

I went with the Milano and a small SW set I didn't have yet. Trying to rationalize both the 2013/2014 WV sets, the VW van and the restaurant modular before the end of the year. That's pushing upwards of $500 and I'm not sure I can justify it.

I drew the line on that Spider-Man set. The Power Man minifig doesn't look like the Luke Cage that I know. At least the Doc Ock lab set from 2012 came with an Iron Fist that resembled the character. And Spider-Man does not need a Spider-Vehicle, unless it is the Spider-Mobile from the 1970's.

I'm also thinking about budget/storage/time again. My "buy" list for 2014 is around $5,000 over the various LEGO themes. I've picked up about half of the sets, but I usually like to finish things out before December, when the next year stuff starts coming out.

I'm a completionist, so if I buy a theme, I usually buy ALL of the sets in a theme.

So I'm wondering if maybe I should pare it back to just the licensed themes going forward. That would mean no more CITY, Creator, Friends, CMF, Pirates, Ultra Agents (or the LEGO action theme du jour). I would still get the annual modular, because that is immune IMO. It would cut the annual spend by almost half, but I would be missing out on a lot of cool new sets/themes.

Decisions, decisions....

Ravek

Banned
I've said it before but I think most of the superhero builds are really weak, with a few exceptions. That having been said I keep buying them because I want the figures. I'm ashamed to admit that I bought that awful Green Goblin set last week just...just because I want the Power Man figure which is an AWFUL figure.

Doesn't this set have the sweet Mary Jane minifig though? I would consider purchasing just for that.

I would reach through the interwebs and slap you if I could. :)

Iron Fist runs over $10 on BrickLink.
That Doc Ock version runs close to $15 on BrickLink.

Could LEGO put him in another set? Maybe, maybe not.

Did I mention I wanna slap ya for even asking such a question? :)

EDIT: Did you buy the new doc in aftermarket? He only comes in that set.

I drew the line on that Spider-Man set. The Power Man minifig doesn't look like the Luke Cage that I know. At least the Doc Ock lab set from 2012 came with an Iron Fist that resembled the character. And Spider-Man does not need a Spider-Vehicle, unless it is the Spider-Mobile from the 1970's.

I'm also thinking about budget/storage/time again. My "buy" list for 2014 is around $5,000 over the various LEGO themes. I've picked up about half of the sets, but I usually like to finish things out before December, when the next year stuff starts coming out.

I'm a completionist, so if I buy a theme, I usually buy ALL of the sets in a theme.

So I'm wondering if maybe I should pare it back to just the licensed themes going forward. That would mean no more CITY, Creator, Friends, CMF, Pirates, Ultra Agents (or the LEGO action theme du jour). I would still get the annual modular, because that is immune IMO. It would cut the annual spend by almost half, but I would be missing out on a lot of cool new sets/themes.

Decisions, decisions....

I sorta am a completionist too, but being practical has forced me to overcome my OCD a bit over the years. I want all the Ultra Agents sets, but it's the minifigs I love in all the sets. I may just buy some of the minifigs aftermarket and grabs the sets I really like.

I think you can eventually reach a point where you could skip a few sets in a theme.

Did I mention I wanna slap ya for even asking such a question? :)

EDIT: Did you buy the new doc in aftermarket? He only comes in that set.
I didn't know!! I didn't really get a chance to look at it before asking, I mainly saw it was Spidey, Doc, and Iron Fist in a generic looking lab set. I looked at it in more detail later and it actually looks really cool with a lot of good unique parts, plus I can add the arms from this Doc to the other one I have already to give him hella long comic book robo arms.

Also when I said I already had a Doc Ock I mean I have the current bank truck set. So having Spidey and [a variant of] Ockto already I didn't know if it was worth it just for Iron Fist. I've learned my lesson though!!

I didn't know!! I didn't really get a chance to look at it before asking, I mainly saw it was Spidey, Doc, and Iron Fist in a generic looking lab set. I looked at it in more detail later and it actually looks really cool with a lot of good unique parts, plus I can add the arms from this Doc to the other one I have already to give him hella long comic book robo arms.

Also when I said I already had a Doc Ock I mean I have the current bank truck set. So having Spidey and [a variant of] Ockto already I didn't know if it was worth it just for Iron Fist. I've learned my lesson though!!

No worries. I'm just giving you a hard time. :) I could never say no to ~70% off a set with a minifig I want so I always encourage anyone to jump on deals like that.

Buy now! Think later!

No worries. I'm just giving you a hard time. :) I could never say no to ~70% off a set with a minifig I want so I always encourage anyone to jump on deals like that.

Buy now! Think later!
Who can say no to 70% off period? I mean I got my first and only Pirates of the Caribbean set (The Black Pearl) for $20 bucks. Granted that was more like 80% off but still.

Not seeing "lots of stickers". The panels on the wings perhaps, but that's about it. The red curved pieces with gray look printed to me. EDIT actually, not so sure about this after all...

On the front left red bumper the sticker is very obvious with the double border around the brick.

Ironmask

Grabbed the xmen set with a 10% discount and a free ticket for the GotG movie that we still have to see here in italy. Great way to come back from the holidays and finally scratch the Lego itch.

Ryuuroden

Decisions, decisions....

You just shouldn't be a completionist. I mean I get a couple sets from all those themes but only the ones I like. There is no reason to be a completionist. Oh by the way, I am usually the de facto completionist and can't stand not doing so but I was able to draw the line with LEGO sets and get only the best ones. If I can do it, I am sure you can.

leng jai

Good god, stop with the stickers on UCS sets. At least with the Tumbler the vast majority of them are for the interior which you can easily ignore. I haven't used any stickers for the Tumbler or Benny's Spacehip and won't be for any set in the future.

That's another thing I like about the modulars, they rarely have stickers (besides the Palace Cinema).

Dilema!!!

So I picked up this from Home Depot last night.

http://http://www.homedepot.com/p/Home-Decorators-Collection-17-7-in-x-17-7-in-x-1-75-in-White-Profile-Floating-Corner-Shelf-9084612/203631513[/URL]

The website says it is good to hold up to 15 pounds. The problem is that the Death Star weighs a bit over 18 pounds. Do you guys/ gals think it will work? I hate to think that I might come home one day and the deathstar is laying on the floor after the shelf breaks away from the wall.

Is a floating corner shelf by the way.... What do you all think?

Dilema!!!

So I picked up this from Home Depot last night.

http://http://www.homedepot.com/p/Home-Decorators-Collection-17-7-in-x-17-7-in-x-1-75-in-White-Profile-Floating-Corner-Shelf-9084612/203631513[/URL]

The website says it is good to hold up to 15 pounds. The problem is that the Death Star weighs a bit over 18 pounds. Do you guys/ gals think it will work? I hate to think that I might come home one day and the deathstar is laying on the floor after the shelf breaks away from the wall.

Is a floating corner shelf by the way.... What do you all think?

I don't think the Death Star actually weighs that much. I think that is just the shipping weight, which includes the boxes and the giant instruction book. The finished model weighs significantly less I believe. Someone needs to weight it now.

I don't think the Death Star actually weighs that much. I think that is just the shipping weight, which includes the boxes and the giant instruction book. The finished model weighs significantly less I believe. Someone needs to weight it now.

I wish you were right... but I think it may weigh that much...google searching shows nothing.

I wish you were right... but I think it may weigh that much...google searching shows nothing.

Do you have it built? Just go step on a scale while holding it, then weigh yourself without holding it. That should give you an idea.

Also, your link to the shelf isn't working. I am curious to see it.

Do you have it built? Just go step on a scale while holding it, then weigh yourself without holding it. That should give you an idea.

Also, your link to the shelf isn't working. I am curious to see it.

I have it in storage until I get the shelf up... (by storage I mean not at my current location).

I don't think that shelf will work. The base of the Death Star will be REALLY close to the edge of the curve from the looks of it, with not much wiggle room.

A squared off shelf at the corner might work best, because I can't find a curved corner one that is much larger.

EDIT: Slightly longer, and load bearing up to 50 lbs. But I would still worry about where the base of the set actually rests on the shelf.

Well... I measured it out and it should work ... with the laser hanging off the side, but I am fine with that as it is off the ground. It is the weight that is freaking me out. Damn my OCD!!!

Ponn

Banned
So the Rock confirmed he is playing Black Adam in a Shazam movie. I'm pretty excited for this news but i'm already making the Lego connection and it makes me even giddier.

Shazam movie means at least one Lego set with both Shazam and Black Adam figs.

dLI2DwP.png

It's my time now.

Rootbeer

Banned
Mine is back ordered until late September. Not a problem, I'm patient.

I'd like to get it on Display by Oct 1st. I think that won't be a problem with the current estimates. I'm wondering how many people ordered the HH this month though? I'm guessing it was a significant number, since it's hard to find them anywhere else. Amazon has had them in stock here and there but never for long.

I'd like to get it on Display by Oct 1st. I think that won't be a problem with the current estimates. I'm wondering how many people ordered the HH this month though? I'm guessing it was a significant number, since it's hard to find them anywhere else. Amazon has had them in stock here and there but never for long.

+1 My two promos shipped which is good.

So the Rock confirmed he is playing Black Adam in a Shazam movie. I'm pretty excited for this news but i'm already making the Lego connection and it makes me even giddier.

Shazam movie means at least one Lego set with both Shazam and Black Adam figs.

dLI2DwP.png

It's my time now.

Excellent news! I hope the costumes stay true to the comics. I have little hope for DC movies at this point. I really, really hope I'm pleasantly surprised with Superman v Batman (won't take much since my expectations are really low).

Shazam, Shazam, SHAZAM!!!

Top Bottom