• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

Ryuuroden

Orthanc Dungeon teaser, I can't wait any longer, have to post something. This is just a tiny itty bitty portion of the dungeon with other parts of it blurred out at the sides and front but you can prolly guess what they are. Basically the picture is probably the least interesting area of it too :D.

15139987131_fbbb492aa4_k.jpg

Most expensive tile flooring ever. cheapest any of those dark grey 2x2's are were like 25 cents and to get enough I had to order from 5+ sellers. Glad only the dungeon floor is getting that treatment. Using other colors for the other levels.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Orthanc Dungeon teaser, I can't wait any longer, have to post something. This is just a tiny itty bitty portion of the dungeon with other parts of it blurred out at the sides and front but you can prolly guess what they are. Basically the picture is probably the least interesting area of it too :D.

Most expensive tile flooring ever. cheapest any of those dark grey 2x2's are were like 25 cents and to get enough I had to order from 5+ sellers. Glad only the dungeon floor is getting that treatment. Using other colors for the other levels.

Looks rad! Always a bummer when you have to spread BL orders around like that, haha.

Unrelated, started the Unimog tonight. Pneumatic stuff is super cool!

R-User!

I feel your moving pain. It sucks. Good luck with everything! Can't wait to read your posts near the end of the month as you begin to settle in. You should be mostly closer to "normal" by then; as far as settling in and the stress level being lowered are concerned.

:-/

Rootbeer

Banned
Black Adam and Shazam from LEGO Batman 3. Can't wait for the minifigures (they'd better get one in 2015!)

The convention exclusive is not even touching this one!
BwpwTIKCIAIXM8T.png:large

Bwuqc65CMAAYVSI.png:large

Black Adam and Shazam from LEGO Batman 3. Can't wait for the minifigures (they'd better get one in 2015!)

The convention exclusive is not even touching this one!
BwpwTIKCIAIXM8T.png:large

Bwuqc65CMAAYVSI.png:large

I have no knowledge of the characters but them two figures look really good.

I've just bought the hulk minifig for £22 I also spend £70 on bricklink minifigs yesterday. Looking back over all CMF lines are there so many great looking figs. I was quite happy with the Librarian. I need to build a bookcase and put her with the female scientists

Rootbeer

Banned
When you say hulk minifig, do you literally mean the minifig size one? Or one of the bigfigs (of which there are two face variants)?

Anyway yeah minifigs are an addiction, not only do I buy a lot of sets mostly for the minifigs at times, but I too have spent my share on bricklink and ebay on various types of minifigs (discontinued, bootleg, other various minifigs I somehow missed out on, etc.)

I'm trying to convert myself away from traditional action figures which, while generally MUCH nicer looking and with more features, don't have a lot of the advantages LEGO has... that it's a system and everything is in the same scale! With action figures you have all these different scales and lines... sometimes manufacturers even change the scales (usually by shrinking them slightly) and then you have a collection where not all the sizes match due to the downsizing... lots of problems like this.

But with LEGO I can mix all my DC, Marvel, Disney, Pixar, Nickelodeon (on and on and on...) figures together and build any environment or vehicles I want for them. And then there are things you can do such as mix/matching minifig parts to create all new characters, this is much harder if not sometimes impossible with action figures.

All this said, I've been an ardent believer that LEGO needs to improve the minifigs. They are fantastic, but after seeing how other manufacturers are more willing to innovate by giving the minifigures ball-joins or more pivot points... not to mention more than ONE stinking torso size... there's a lot LEGO could be doing but they seem very content with the standard they have. And now that LEGO is the biggest toy maker in the world and still growing? I'm wondering if innovation is at the forefront of their mind anymore.

I mean just take the CGI lego commercials and videogames as an example. The CGI versions of minifigs twist their bodies/arms/legs in ways the actual figures CAN NOT DO... and it's not that it would be impossible to add some of these features, you know? Yet they are happy to portray them as being more featured than they actually are. It does kind of irritate me.

(letting my mind wander at 3:30am)

nny

I'm nearly done moving as well, but I don't have to move nearly as much. Still haven't decided on where to place the sets ) Good luck!

Rootbeer

Banned
Godspeed to you both then. Moving is such a draaag.

I've already put off moving twice in the last year due to things that have come up, we still want to move sometime relatively soon.

it will definitely be bigger, but at the expense of being outside of the city.

When you say hulk minifig, do you literally mean the minifig size one? Or one of the bigfigs (of which there are two face variants)?

Anyway yeah minifigs are an addiction, not only do I buy a lot of sets mostly for the minifigs at times, but I too have spent my share on bricklink and ebay on various types of minifigs (discontinued, bootleg, other various minifigs I somehow missed out on, etc.)

I'm trying to convert myself away from traditional action figures which, while generally MUCH nicer looking and with more features, don't have a lot of the advantages LEGO has... that it's a system and everything is in the same scale! With action figures you have all these different scales and lines... sometimes manufacturers even change the scales (usually by shrinking them slightly) and then you have a collection where not all the sizes match due to the downsizing... lots of problems like this.

But with LEGO I can mix all my DC, Marvel, Disney, Pixar, Nickelodeon (on and on and on...) figures together and build any environment or vehicles I want for them. And then there are things you can do such as mix/matching minifig parts to create all new characters, this is much harder if not sometimes impossible with action figures.

All this said, I've been an ardent believer that LEGO needs to improve the minifigs. They are fantastic, but after seeing how other manufacturers are more willing to innovate by giving the minifigures ball-joins or more pivot points... not to mention more than ONE stinking torso size... there's a lot LEGO could be doing but they seem very content with the standard they have. And now that LEGO is the biggest toy maker in the world and still growing? I'm wondering if innovation is at the forefront of their mind anymore.

I mean just take the CGI lego commercials and videogames as an example. The CGI versions of minifigs twist their bodies/arms/legs in ways the actual figures CAN NOT DO... and it's not that it would be impossible to add some of these features, you know? Yet they are happy to portray them as being more featured than they actually are. It does kind of irritate me.

I already have the brown coloured big fig version of hulk. I wanted this version to put in various displays. He is such a cool looking figure and I know the price will only go up over time.

I'm currently trying to collect all of the Super Heroes that I want before the turn of the year. I did get distracted by how cool and varied some of the CMF line is.

Oh I'd have to disagree about having different torsos to be honest. Part of the reason for my love of minifigs is the uniformity of what essentially is the canvas and how the designers have to fit a characters look and personality onto that. It means essentially that every fig is equal there better to display. That's only my opinion of course haha

shadow29

Neo Member
So it's been a while since I posted, if you even recall me, but I finished the first part of my project using some of the parts I received from fellow Lego Gaf so I figured I'd post a picture. Not the best, but I didn't do the full set up until I displayed with my LUG at SLC Comic Con.

p5dMbV

That's my Robotech airfield in display. I have a few other pictures on my flickr since I don't want to photo dump in my first post in months haha. I used Daikoncats Ideas project as a base and then modified it to reduce the illegal connections and detail it the way I wanted it to look. Unfortunately with the transforming aspect, it still ends up a bit.... weak in two spots. Not much you can do though without really changing the whole design, but I'll keep working on it.

I also have other Lego pics from the convention if you'd like to see some of the other cool work the guys did. If anyone would like to see better pics of one of the display, lmk I can take more Sat.

Edit: or maybe the link doesn't want to work, but since I don't usually post pics it's not surprising. So https://www.flickr.com/photos/117906828@N03/sets/72157647253398005/ for just the album

So it's been a while since I posted, if you even recall me, but I finished the first part of my project using some of the parts I received from fellow Lego Gaf so I figured I'd post a picture. Not the best, but I didn't do the full set up until I displayed with my LUG at SLC Comic Con.

p5dMbV

That's my Robotech airfield in display. I have a few other pictures on my flickr since I don't want to photo dump in my first post in months haha. I used Daikoncats Ideas project as a base and then modified it to reduce the illegal connections and detail it the way I wanted it to look. Unfortunately with the transforming aspect, it still ends up a bit.... weak in two spots. Not much you can do though without really changing the whole design, but I'll keep working on it.

I also have other Lego pics from the convention if you'd like to see some of the other cool work the guys did. If anyone would like to see better pics of one of the display, lmk I can take more Sat.

Edit: or maybe the link doesn't want to work, but since I don't usually post pics it's not surprising. So https://www.flickr.com/photos/117906828@N03/sets/72157647253398005/ for just the album

The thread needs to see this, so I rehosted one for you:

Very nice! Welcome back to the thread.

I moved about a month ago and yes I understand the pain. Luckily I don't own much but my fiancé does a lot of fabric work so we moved mostly materials.

Sadly my Legos were easy to move as my collection is solid but still smaller than most here.

On an up note I've finally nailed a new job I was suppose to slide into a month ago. This means I can get back into lego again soon which feels good.

namtab37

Neo Member
I need some help..
Does anyone know of a good storage container I could you to store unopened sets like the Simpsons house, Arkham asylum, and sets that size?

rallaren

It's a fitting dummy for my wife to make clothes on. She had it for years before she met me.
Yeah, I guessed it was your wife/gfs! It just stood out to me.

On other notes: Don't call it a comeback:

kDcdVyn.jpg

Was supposed to just be the truck really... then it got to the UCS aswell etc. Oh yes.

Just finished the stickers on the windshield. Went surprisingly well but not something I really liked.

Rootbeer

Banned
I already have the brown coloured big fig version of hulk. I wanted this version to put in various displays. He is such a cool looking figure and I know the price will only go up over time.

I'm currently trying to collect all of the Super Heroes that I want before the turn of the year. I did get distracted by how cool and varied some of the CMF line is.

Oh I'd have to disagree about having different torsos to be honest. Part of the reason for my love of minifigs is the uniformity of what essentially is the canvas and how the designers have to fit a characters look and personality onto that. It means essentially that every fig is equal there better to display. That's only my opinion of course haha
Well LEGO themselves are on your side there, it's not something I object heavily to. I just think they have pushed the current torso as far as it can go. I fully expect them to introduce different torsos at some point to keep things fresh. I'm sure there was a point nobody thought LEGO would do things like The Simpsons heads and yet here we are. That, or maybe a full re-imagining of what the minifigures look like. We've already seem do it with Friends... though IMO it was to very limited success there. But they are selling so...
I need some help..
Does anyone know of a good storage container I could you to store unopened sets like the Simpsons house, Arkham asylum, and sets that size?
I don't have any experience trying to securely store anything unopened that large... but those plastic totes can be pretty huge if you track down the right ones. Maybe that? Is there a particular reason you need to store them in such a way? Usually you hear about people having rooms devoted to this sort of thing if they start to accumulate too many unopened sets... and just shelve them there. LEGO themselves do it this way.

http://edtake.wordpress.com/2010/03/20/toys-lego-vault-the-memory-lane/

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

kDcdVyn.jpg

Was supposed to just be the truck really... then it got to the UCS aswell etc. Oh yes.

Just finished the stickers on the windshield. Went surprisingly well but not something I really liked.

Let me know what you think of that 42008 Technic set. I'm between the Racer and that set.

ghostmind

kDcdVyn.jpg

Nice haul! Galaxy Squad represent!

I've eyed that Ninjago car before, but since by son has moved on from collecting Ninjago (after us getting pretty much the entire first two years of it), I haven't dared tempt fate by getting back into that theme. Lots of Ninjago sets coming out next year, and even more to come in support of the upcoming movie.

Well LEGO themselves are on your side there, it's not something I object heavily to. I just think they have pushed the current torso as far as it can go. I fully expect them to introduce different torsos at some point to keep things fresh. I'm sure there was a point nobody thought LEGO would do things like The Simpsons heads and yet here we are. That, or maybe a full re-imagining of what the minifigures look like. We've already seem do it with Friends... though IMO it was to very limited success there. But they are selling so...

I'm a bit split on minifigs myself. I think the current body is fine for normal humanoids, but when you try to use it for things that depart from that standard human mold it quickly breaks down. A good modern example of this are the coming Minecraft sets, where the standard body just does not work at all. It looks like it's just some guy wearing one of those cardboard Steve heads. I was watching some of Jang's reviews the other week and saw his comparison between the Lego and Megablock Spongebob too, and that's another good example of how even when using custom accessory molds, the minifig body just does not work well for everything.

Lego has put a lot of importance on keeping everything compatible and "in system" and unfortunately are going a bit too crazy with the cost saving measures (just look at how much they use stickers compared to the printing other brands have), so it's unlikely this will change anytime soon. It's a shame that because of this some things such as the Minecraft figures are really lackluster compared to what they could be.

Ravek

Banned
Just curious: are people not hyped about the Slave I UCS? And if so, is it because there have been other
awful IMO
verisons?

Only asking because the Tumbler hype was pretty "loud" and it doesn't seem to be the same with this UCS.

rallaren

Just curious: are people not hyped about the Slave I UCS? And if so, is it because there have been other
awful IMO
verisons?

Only asking because the Tumbler hype was pretty "loud" and it doesn't seem to be the same with this UCS.
Learned my lesson with the Galactic Titan really. I am pretty hyped though.

ghostmind

awful IMO
verisons?

I've been hyped for the UCS Slave I, since I first received the rumor back in 2013.

It has the strong possibility of being my top set for 2014 - I just have to get it into my hands and build it first!

I've been hyped for the UCS Slave I, since I first received the rumor back in 2013.

It has the strong possibility of being my top set for 2014 - I just have to get it into my hands and build it first!

I am pretty excited as well. I am not a fan of Nolan-verse vehicles so Slave I is a pretty sweet looking UCS pickup.

I can't seem to get excited for the UCS X Wing for some reason....but the truth is I had zero interest in the B Wing until I built it after the 50% off sale. Now B Wing is easily my favorite SW build....wondering if the X Wing will be as good.....

Is the Tumbler available in stores yet?
S'been available in stores since August 18th dude! Non-VIP members got access as of September 1st.

Or did you mean non-Lego stores? Or maybe you're in another country?

At any rate, stores HAVING them to sell is another story entirely. Ours were gone in a day.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
S'been available in stores since August 18th dude! Non-VIP members got access as of September 1st.

Or did you mean non-Lego stores? Or maybe you're in another country?

At any rate, stores HAVING them to sell is another story entirely. Ours were gone in a day.
Well I'm a moron then. I thought it wasn't for sale in the LEGO stores until the middle of September for some reason. Whelp, guess I know what I'm buying after work today.

Thank goodness I never got into action figures or those awesome super hero statues they make nowadays.

Agreed on the minifig. It's iconic. Also agree it's like a canvas, similar to how they have Playmobil, minimates, POP! figures, etc. In some cases, LEGO does make limited exceptions such new moulded heads.

I would argue, the existing minifigs are surprisingly articulate enough to create a variety of positions. The LEGO Movie is a perfect example, the only "cheating" they did was to dislocate the minifigs arms. :) Ball joints would change the look a lot. I look at Kre-o and MegaBloks and I can't picture minifigs with ball joints in the arms. The simplicity works well in minifigs. Works for Playmobil and tons of other toys with limited articulation.

If they want they can do something different than current minifigs like they did with Friends or earlier variation. Just make it a new or separate line.

I don't have any experience trying to securely store anything unopened that large... but those plastic totes can be pretty huge if you track down the right ones. Maybe that? Is there a particular reason you need to store them in such a way? Usually you hear about people having rooms devoted to this sort of thing if they start to accumulate too many unopened sets... and just shelve them there. LEGO themselves do it this way.

http://edtake.wordpress.com/2010/03/20/toys-lego-vault-the-memory-lane/

They already have done a re-imagining of minifigs. As you mentioned Friends is an example. They are called minidolls because they are very different. Minifigs as they are will stay that way IMO. It's iconic and essential to LEGO branding. That said, they could come out with a new re-imagined line like you said. Maybe we'll see mini-actionfigs in the future. Unlikely IMO, but who knows.

I'm a bit split on minifigs myself. I think the current body is fine for normal humanoids, but when you try to use it for things that depart from that standard human mold it quickly breaks down. A good modern example of this are the coming Minecraft sets, where the standard body just does not work at all. It looks like it's just some guy wearing one of those cardboard Steve heads. I was watching some of Jang's reviews the other week and saw his comparison between the Lego and Megablock Spongebob too, and that's another good example of how even when using custom accessory molds, the minifig body just does not work well for everything.

Lego has put a lot of importance on keeping everything compatible and "in system" and unfortunately are going a bit too crazy with the cost saving measures (just look at how much they use stickers compared to the printing other brands have), so it's unlikely this will change anytime soon. It's a shame that because of this some things such as the Minecraft figures are really lackluster compared to what they could be.

I don't believe cost saving measures are the main factor in not having new minifig bodies. You will lost a lot of interchangeability as soon as the body shapes change. As much as the Mega Bloks SpongeBob figs look better, how reusable and interchangeable are they with non-Spongebob figs?

I also believe the minifig is part of the LEGO brand. When you see LEGO licensed minifigs, most will know they are LEGO because of the shape. If I didn't know Mega Bloks made SpongeBob, I might think that fig was just a small action figure or toy. Nothing related to building blocks.

I need some help..

Plastic containers are good, but the one disadvantage is they aren't purely rectangular so their sides are angled a bit. I tend to use basic cardboard boxes so I can put boxes flush to the sides and not waste too much space. Of course, disadvantage with cardboard boxes are they don't protect against moisture and and other elements as well as plastic.

wetwired

The blockiness is part of the charm for me, seeing a not-perfect representation of a known character is half the fun.

Didn't Lego make several attempts at more articulated figures, and it led to brand dilution and them almost going under? I know they made the Technic Figs, but they had some other line... something Jack? I remeber reading that right before their crash they had tried to branch out into more detailed figures or something and it almost killed them?

ghostmind

I think the minifig design is sublime.

Bigifigs however need some work. They should match the minifig design as far as articulation/joints go.

Man I finally got the Exo Suit but for some reason I'm not feeling the set (Haven't opened it yet lol). I think I mainly wanted it for the minifigs lol

Top Bottom