• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

ghostmind

8pmYKbw.jpg

I think the minifig design is sublime.

Bigifigs however need some work. They should match the minifig design as far as articulation/joints go.

Exchangeable heads would be cool. Could use the heads to make brick built bodies.

850939: Santa Set

b720RYp.png

Well, it looks like that Santa CMF won't have any aftermarket value. New Santa minifig is everywhere. The set above, advent calendars, xmas set, etc.

Is that the LEGO store?

Ryuuroden

Thanks. It's probably been 7 years since i posted a photo on a forum haha.

Yeah and if you look at the other albums the Orthanc and Helms deep from previous shows were amazing too. 7 feet tall for Orthanc before he got rid of it.

Yeah, my Orthanc will rival it in size but I am going for a full interior for mine and I am not doing the battle outside of it, at least not for now.

Should have some more photos of mine sometime tomorrow hopefully. Lots of football to watch while working on it.

shadow29

Neo Member
Yeah, my Orthanc will rival it in size but I am going for a full interior for mine and I am not doing the battle outside of it, at least not for now.

Should have some more photos of mine sometime tomorrow hopefully. Lots of football to watch while working on it.

I'll have to let him know tomorrow that you are going to one up him. His was all exterior, hollow inside. But the various battle scenes he did outside were pretty great. Though all the minifigs for that probably cost him a pretty penny.

Ryuuroden

I'll have to let him know tomorrow that you are going to one up him. His was all exterior, hollow inside. But the various battle scenes he did outside were pretty great. Though all the minifigs for that probably cost him a pretty penny.

Lol, I probably won't one up him, his model was fabulous but I would love to equal it. Since mine is going to have an interior, I am doing it the LEGO model style and only building 2/3's of it leaving the back third cut out. At least for now. I may build a removable panel as some point in time for the back part but for now with the fact I am doing a full interior means that it is going to eat away at a lot of my bricks right there. I'm just fortunate I bought multiple boxes of black bricks from PAB years ago back when they were cheaper. Now I can never find what I need on the wall anyways. If I can equal his model I will be a happy camper. I have only looked at it once and I am doing my own interpretation of the exterior using John Howe and Allen Lee illustrations but I am also trying for my own interpretation with many more curves to it since in the novel its a tower that doesn't seem man made so I want it to be like it was carved by some ancient power out of an obsidian volcanic spire into the sky but with very sharp points and a angles as well. I don't want it to look like a mountain either. Mine is a totally solo build, I read his was a 3 man build? I should get involved with my local LUG group but I constantly keep putting off joining it.

Rootbeer

Banned
Why can't I be a kid?

I mean... why can't I have a kid?

Oh right... no child-bearing partner. Damn.

I have the batcave but this one has the signal constructed to look similar to the Nolan trilogy one it seems.

I just watched Jang's calendar reviews. It's rather funny as usual. Star Wars gets a TON of figures, some spare weapons and stuff, and a bunch of mini ships. City gets random stuff, quite a few figures, and of course cops and robbers because it wouldn't be City if you can't stage a chase. And then Friends get only two figures and interior decorations and food stuff.

Theoretically, there is some stuff I could use in all of them. I could use a Darth Vader head to replace the one on my keychain Vader. Plenty of flesh faces too. City has cherries (I'm missing a few for some modulars). And Friends has kitchen appliances (although a fridge would have been great). But these are overpriced most of the time, so I won't bother.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Finished the Tumbler tonight. Took me 5 hours and 15 minutes of non stop building. Started at 9pm and finished at 2:15am. My back aches and my finger tips hurt, but hot damn that is one bad ass LEGO set. Might've been the most fun I've had putting a set together.

Finished the Tumbler tonight. Took me 5 hours and 15 minutes of non stop building. Started at 9pm and finished at 2:15am. My back aches and my finger tips hurt, but hot damn that is one bad ass LEGO set. Might've been the most fun I've had putting a set together.

I felt the same after building Haunted House. We'll all end up with arthritis or carpal tunnel syndrome with our hobby.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
I just watched Jang's calendar reviews. It's rather funny as usual. Star Wars gets a TON of figures, some spare weapons and stuff, and a bunch of mini ships. City gets random stuff, quite a few figures, and of course cops and robbers because it wouldn't be City if you can't stage a chase. And then Friends get only two figures and interior decorations and food stuff.

Theoretically, there is some stuff I could use in all of them. I could use a Darth Vader head to replace the one on my keychain Vader. Plenty of flesh faces too. City has cherries (I'm missing a few for some modulars). And Friends has kitchen appliances (although a fridge would have been great). But these are overpriced most of the time, so I won't bother.
I havent bought any of them in recent years, but I think the best ones were eithert the Castle or Pirate releases, because of all those figs. When the Castle set released it was the first appearance of the Jester at that point, and I think the witch was brand new as well.

I know Star Wars gets an exclusive xmas figure, but other than that there's not much else. Overpriced parts packs really.

I am pretty excited as well. I am not a fan of Nolan-verse vehicles so Slave I is a pretty sweet looking UCS pickup.

I can't seem to get excited for the UCS X Wing for some reason....but the truth is I had zero interest in the B Wing until I built it after the 50% off sale. Now B Wing is easily my favorite SW build....wondering if the X Wing will be as good.....

I built it 2 weeks ago. It's a quick build that gets the technic bits out of the way early. The wings and engines can be built assembly line style. I skipped all stickers as reviews warned about the frustrating cockpit application.

wetwired

I decided I'd try and make custom minifigs of all the Nolanverse villians for the batcave, here's the first one complete...

twoface.jpg

I have 1st passes of all the others except Ras Al Ghul, I fear he'll take a bit of work

EDIT>

Current Catwoman and Scarecrow

catwoman.jpg
scarecrow.jpg

Not 100% on either yet, I think perhaps Catwoman needs a mask? what do you guys think? Not sure how to improve scarecrow though

wetwired

Didn't see any at Myer or DJs when I went today, alas.

Where are you? The DJ I heard about had 3, the Myer had 6, so it sounds like there wasn't much stock.

Speaking of stock, my local Big W had the Black Gate on clearance, down from $58 to $35 but no stock left, I was devoed

Ironmask

I've just finished building the Blackbird from the xman set.. what a disappointing build! It is completely wrong in size (too short and small) and it lacks some basic details like the wheels on the bottom. Designer seems to have put an '4junior' set effort in it =(

I suggest everyone to just grab the awesome minifigs from bricklink (they are going to rise in price surely, especially Cyclop and Storm)

leng jai

Where are you? The DJ I heard about had 3, the Myer had 6, so it sounds like there wasn't much stock.

Speaking of stock, my local Big W had the Black Gate on clearance, down from $58 to $35 but no stock left, I was devoed

Melbourne, checked Southland specifically. Guess I'll have to wait a bit longer.

Rootbeer

Banned
Was looking around on S@H and noticed there are a lot of pics of the Smaug set I hadn't seen.

I want this set!!!

I might have to wait until 2015 for Dinos but at least I can get a pretty badass dragon for Christmas :D

I guess if I had any gripe it's that Smaug is red just like last year's Castle Dragon. So I'll have two red dragons. I need more colors!

The black one on bricklink is not priced thaaaat bad... but the green one is $40-50 easily.

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/The-Lonely-Mountain-79018

Rootbeer

Banned
Regarding that new Halloween LEGO set with the Vampire...

I was really temped to pick it up... but at 7.99, the only parts I wanted from inside were the Casket and the gold 1x1 round printed stud with the padlock on it... both can be bricklinked very easily and for way less -__-

And I do need a casket because the HH does not come with one o_O (let alone two... one for the bride)

Vyer

I decided I'd try and make custom minifigs of all the Nolanverse villians for the batcave, here's the first one complete...

Not 100% on either yet, I think perhaps Catwoman needs a mask? what do you guys think? Not sure how to improve scarecrow though

Wasn't the mask the ears thing? Or I guess she had both. They all look good, though. Would be nice if there was some way to get Two Face's suit side to look burnt and damaged.

ghostmind

Picked up some Ultra Agents sets, and was excited to find that Toxikita's gun would work well for the Black Widow.

hIlb70Q.jpg

I've never seen this weapon before in my other sets, so I looked it up on Bricklink and it was only used in a few Indiana Jones Crystal Skull sets previously.

Regarding that new Halloween LEGO set with the Vampire...

I was really temped to pick it up... but at 7.99, the only parts I wanted from inside were the Casket and the gold 1x1 round printed stud with the padlock on it... both can be bricklinked very easily and for way less -__-

And I do need a casket because the HH does not come with one o_O (let alone two... one for the bride)

But with shipping you are probably pushing 7.99 anyway. Seems like a push.

Ryuuroden

Picked up some Ultra Agents sets, and was excited to find that Toxikita's gun would work well for the Black Widow.

hIlb70Q.jpg

I've never seen this weapon before in my other sets, so I looked it up on Bricklink and it was only used in a few Indiana Jones Crystal Skull sets previously.

The growing number of LEGO weapons is amazing considering how anti toy gun LEGO used to be. heh

hIlb70Q.jpg

I wonder how far LEGO will go with weapons. I like they try to stick to certain values, but it seems like they keep testing the boundaries. I'm not a prude and have a bunch of 3rd party weapons that are much more realistic.

Not anymore it's not!

Damn... just got home.

Dang that was fast. That's a great price for a new set. I hesitated because my wife has heavily hinted on me having too much LEGO. Hard for me to sneak LEGO sets that are delivered to the door. And it also shows on the order history which she can see since we share one Amazon account. Oh well, best I didn't push my luck for a set I want at a great price.

Ryuuroden

Heh, so LEGO just put out an official statement saying the IDEAS Research Institute is no longer available.... I should of gotten more than one -.-

Top Bottom