• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

wetwired

Ok I need some input on Ras Al Ghul's hair, here's some photoshop mockup choices (if anyone can think of better hair let me know too)

ras.jpg

I plan to colour the sides of his hair grey with whichever hair I go with. Also I'm torn on the shirt colour too, on film it looks black but some of the toys are a very dark purple.

Thanks to BentBricks showing me how to use Brickset to find other colors of bricks, I just put in a tidy little $6 order on BrickLink to make two Swamp Gollum Shuff MOCs. Should be really fun to make, I'm gonna give them tentacle limbs (I have TONS of ball joint parts now from the ~6 Mixels that died to make the Dirt Gollum Shuff) and lots of vines/plants all over.

I wish that craggy rock piece came in black so I could make one final Molten Lava Shuff to rule them all. I suppose I could do it with the standard dark grey one but I feel like having it be black, with maybe solid black eyes, trans red crystal on top (or would a flame be better?) and lots of orange and trans red parts for the limbs would be so killer.

Fowler

Ok I need some input on Ras Al Ghul's hair, here's some photoshop mockup choices (if anyone can think of better hair let me know too)

ras.jpg

I plan to colour the sides of his hair grey with whichever hair I go with. Also I'm torn on the shirt colour too, on film it looks black but some of the toys are a very dark purple.

I think the second one feels right to me. I say feels because the hair doesn't match the pics as closely as the third one does, but if you showed me #2 independent of anything else I'd say it was Liam Neeson's Ra's al Ghul.

(And I think the purple shirt is fine.)

Wish me luck. There's a craigslist lot with the black pearl and battle of endor plus more for $40.

I'm waiting to hear back on when I can pick them up.

Ryuuroden

I see LEGO GAF definitely is not Math GAF..... I figure since I am using up all my black brick for building, I will go back to using tile for roads for my modular city. Black tile is very useful for the stuff I do plus I can always bricklink the extra. They sell pretty decent. Originally my plans were to build my roads by using 1 by brick walls with black and yellow and all that and putting them on their side. That's one reason why I had a ton of black bricks already to us for Orthanc. Now since I am using them up for Orthanc, I can revert back to using tiles instead.

I redesigned the legs of this mech:

so it's not so gorilla-like, and I started playing around with the colors and came up with this:

Neo Space Police!

I hope in the future, when the tech gets there, LEGO will make 3D printers -- buy the printer; build the model in the LDD; print the bricks in your own home; build your model.

No, that's 13504 studs.

Ooops. Multiplied by 1688 twice.

I see LEGO GAF definitely is not Math GAF..... I figure since I am using up all my black brick for building, I will go back to using tile for roads for my modular city. Black tile is very useful for the stuff I do plus I can always bricklink the extra. They sell pretty decent. Originally my plans were to build my roads by using 1 by brick walls with black and yellow and all that and putting them on their side. That's one reason why I had a ton of black bricks already to us for Orthanc. Now since I am using them up for Orthanc, I can revert back to using tiles instead.

One innocent mistake. :(

You have a Bricklink store? How has you experience been as seller? I really need to start unloading some parts that I have way too much.

Which is better for selling minifigs to get best price? I see eBay sell stuff for higher prices, but they kill you on fees. Since I can't do math, I need help to figure out if eBay or Bricklink is better for selling minifigs. ;)

Ryuuroden

Ooops. Multiplied by 1688 twice.

One innocent mistake. :(

You have a Bricklink store? How has you experience been as seller? I really need to start unloading some parts that I have way too much.

Which is better for selling minifigs to get best price? I see eBay sell stuff for higher prices, but they kill you on fees. Since I can't do math, I need help to figure out if eBay or Bricklink is better for selling minifigs. ;)

I have a store but nothing has been posted yet. I am waiting till after Christmas where hopefully I get a pharmacist scale so I can easier calculate Lego piece counts.

Rootbeer

Banned
About to stop in TRU to see what I may have overlooked yesterday :(

If I walk out with some hobbit sets, it will make my week

*edit* nothing today, will try again Tuesday.

I like the idea of paying $80 for the four of them a hell of a lot better than the alternative ($60 purchase requirement each, meaning $240) but yeah, no chance to get them before scalpers if they're just for regular sale. Unless they do something helpful and rational like limit one per customer.. but this is TRU.

Ravek

Banned

My haul from today. Nothing big, but was pretty excited to see the CMF series 12 out.

Additionally, I can't find the purple Mixels anywhere. I literally went to Walmart, Target and TRU and nothing.

ghostmind

My haul from today. Nothing big, but was pretty excited to see the CMF series 12 out.

Additionally, I can't find the purple Mixels anywhere. I literally went to Walmart, Target and TRU and nothing.

Nice haul with the S12 figs and all those polys.

The Wiztastics are indeed the hardest Mixels to find, at least in my experience. Had to go to a couple stores to get all three Wiztastics, while the other two tribes were available at all the stores. Even when I find those purple Mixels, they are in short supply.

Rootbeer

Banned
If I could trade you some mixels for CMF 12 I would, my local Target and TRU have tons of Series 3 (yes, ALL 9 bags) and plenty of Series 2, AND i've even seen some Series 1 bags still around.

As of yesterday I have 2x of all the series 3 characters. Hmm, I should have bought more of the yellow ones to help me build a chocobo army :)

Ravek

Banned

The only one I don't care for is the Musketeer-ish minifig. His chest and head are two different yellow tones.

As far as price, I didn't look and I already threw out my Target receipt, so unfortunately I can't answer if they were $2.99 or $3.99. However, I only bought three polybags and the five CMFs, and I felt like my bill was higher than it should have been.

If I could trade you some mixels for CMF 12 I would, my local Target and TRU have tons of Series 3 (yes, ALL 9 bags) and plenty of Series 2, AND i've even seen some Series 1 bags still around.

As of yesterday I have 2x of all the series 3 characters. Hmm, I should have bought more of the yellow ones to help me build a chocobo army :)

Im extremely envious that you two whole Series 3 collections. I have all green and tan/sand though...

rallaren

Another shot from 5893 Offroad Power:

yaEalDR.jpg

I guess I can recommend it. Turned out to be one of my most difficult sets. I built it wrong in four places I think it was. Two was fixable. I might do the truck later but will probably skip the car.

One of my better sets definitely, like a mix of Technic and the regular. Pretty good for these kinds of sets. Usually I like my Technic as Technic and regular as regular.

JbBS9Vp.jpg

Rootbeer

Banned
If you don't mind me saying so Ravek, I think for 5 bags you could have done better! If only you'd felt the bags :eek: No doubles though, so that's good.

They're all good figures, but compared to some others in the series I'd probably have stood there and felt around for a good 20 minutes to get some more choice ones (like always :p)

If I had to limit myself to 5? Hmm how about:

Space Miner
Wizard
Piggy Guy
Genie Girl
Aaannd, hmm, maybe Battle Goddess? But Princess is pretty good. Spooky Girl is another strong contender.

(on that note, I definitely need at least TWO lifeguards... I think that chest piece would work well for a Namor custom minifig I'm trying to build)

Ravek

Banned
There was only five left! The only one I knew for sure I had was the princess with her slope piece dress. Trust me, when it comes to CMFs I def go for the feels.

SERIOUSLY, that's lower than my discount even!! ($13 set IIRC, making it $7.50) I'd buy it in a heart beat at $4 for the Electro figure alone, not to mention the additional parts pack and bonus Spider-Man figure.

Did they have more than one?? Shit Target here closes in 10 minutes, not enough time to go check.

They had several, more than I've ever seen. I only bought one but when I got home I kind of wish I had bought more to sell.

r1chard

Built Benny's Spaceship, Spaceship, SPACESHIP! on the weekend and damn that was fun. Lots of cool elements, and a bunch of retro stuff which made me smile :)

That and it's so enthusiastically over the top :)

I don't know what I was hoping for but I don't think it was this. I'm kind of disappoiinted.

Sigh. It seems like I barely think about legos any more. Time to go look at shop-at-home and be depressed at the interesting sets that have gone out of print on me.

At least I haven't missed any modulars since getting back into legos. Maybe I'll have the chance to buy pet shop before it dies....

Redberyl

Neo Member
I don't know what I was hoping for but I don't think it was this. I'm kind of disappoiinted.

Sigh. It seems like I barely think about legos any more. Time to go look at shop-at-home and be depressed at the interesting sets that have gone out of print on me.

At least I haven't missed any modulars since getting back into legos. Maybe I'll have the chance to buy pet shop before it dies....

Agreed. Pirates was the one line I'd really been excited for (haven't bought new LEGOs for almost a year, only plan on getting Agents when they go on sale) and I've got no interest in the sets based on those prelim pictures.

Well I didn't quite miss as many lotr/hobbit sets as I thought.

Missed Moria from wave 1. Not expensive if I get the figureless set off bricklink, after which I can see if I'm missing any major fellowship members or monsters.

All wave 2 lotr are stll in print, it looks like.

Orthanc is still around too.

From hobbit, I only missed the tiny gollum set I wasn't gonna buy anyway, and the barrel escape, which probably won't be too expensive to buy secondhand. Oh and the big troll fight scene nonsense that I'm not sure if I want to buy. Unexpected gathering is the major major major thing I absoultely positively need but that is apparently gonna be back in stock on s@h next week so it might be sticking around til they're done with hobbit entirely?

From hobbit wave 2, I really really want the mirkwood set for some reason. I think it's the only one I want bad enough to pay full price. Dol Guldur looks like it might be fun, but it might also be an amazing source of MoC parts or a dracula's castle expansion

Not sure if I want this lonely mountain set I'm seeing here... feels like they're charging a premium for that there dragon.

Speaking of dracula's castle
Monster Fighters was the best thing ever and I'll be forever heartbroken there weren't more sets.

Agreed. Pirates was the one line I'd really been excited for (haven't bought new LEGOs for almost a year, only plan on getting Agents when they go on sale) and I've got no interest in the sets based on those prelim pictures.

My disappointment in both these and the recent castle sets kind of makes me want to start designing my own builds that could fit the castle theme with the goal of "efficiency" or "realistic possible set" instead of the intense monstrosities it seems that MOCs normally go for.

Is that weird?

Ryuuroden

Well I didn't quite miss as many lotr/hobbit sets as I thought.

Missed Moria from wave 1. Not expensive if I get the figureless set off bricklink, after which I can see if I'm missing any major fellowship members or monsters.

All wave 2 lotr are stll in print, it looks like.

Orthanc is still around too.

From hobbit, I only missed the tiny gollum set I wasn't gonna buy anyway, and the barrel escape, which probably won't be too expensive to buy secondhand. Oh and the big troll fight scene nonsense that I'm not sure if I want to buy. Unexpected gathering is the major major major thing I absoultely positively need but that is apparently gonna be back in stock on s@h next week so it might be sticking around til they're done with hobbit entirely?

From hobbit wave 2, I really really want the mirkwood set for some reason. I think it's the only one I want bad enough to pay full price. Dol Guldur looks like it might be fun, but it might also be an amazing source of MoC parts or a dracula's castle expansion

Not sure if I want this lonely mountain set I'm seeing here... feels like they're charging a premium for that there dragon.

Speaking of dracula's castle
Monster Fighters was the best thing ever and I'll be forever heartbroken there weren't more sets.

My disappointment in both these and the recent castle sets kind of makes me want to start designing my own builds that could fit the castle theme with the goal of "efficiency" or "realistic possible set" instead of the intense monstrosities it seems that MOCs normally go for.

Is that weird?

DOOOO IIIT

DOOOO IIIT

I don't think I'll be able to get a bunch of pieces to actually make mocs with for a while (because smashing most of my sets would break my heart) but I'll start working on ideas soon.. Maybe make some sketches on paper before putting them into lego digital designer or something. I've only actually used the thing briefly and found the interface kind of clumsy, so I don't think it's that well-suited to the wild experimentation phase of idea creation.

Ryuuroden

I don't think I'll be able to get a bunch of pieces to actually make mocs with for a while (because smashing most of my sets would break my heart) but I'll start working on ideas soon.. Maybe make some sketches on paper before putting them into lego digital designer or something. I've only actually used the thing briefly and found the interface kind of clumsy, so I don't think it's that well-suited to the wild experimentation phase of idea creation.

Its not great for building an entire build imo but I think its pretty great for experimentation of phases or parts of a build and such. Like I used it to design the columns in my Orthanc.

Ravek

Banned
I was going to post this.

Pirates looks horrible.

Day 1 for the Frozen set. My daughter will be happy.

Mixels S4 looks good. Not great, but good.

Elves is interesting, colors wise.

Bionicle...im not sure about.

Hulk is the stand in for a DC set...lulz.

City is a mixed bag as always.
that speed boat though....so good

Ninjago...is more of the same.

Same with Chima.

MORE ULTRA AGENTS!!!

And only two of the SW sets looked interesting. Sweet minifigs as always though.

Ponn

Banned
http://m.imgur.com/a/zTsqH

Prelims for all sorts of themes (DC Super Heroes, Star Wars, CITY, Technic, Creator, Friends, Elves, Disney Princesses, Ultra Agents, Ninjago, Chima, Mixels, and more)

I was seriously getting depressed till I got to the very end and literally went Joseph Joestar "OH MY GOD"

So several points

1. OH SHIT!!

2. Green Goblin is now a DC super villain! jk people

3. I wish I could make out everyone but BROTHER EYE SPY Captain Cold, Hawkman, Supergirl HELZYEA! and is that Cyborg? I'm wondering what that other fig is in the Black Manta set?

4. I was first excited to see a seemingly change from Batman to DC Superheroes and Justice League theme but unfortunately it looks like Batman still has a major influence in every set. i will forgive them for now because...

5. IS THAT A FUCKING BAT-MECH SUIT !!!!!

6. Invisible Jet blows and is not the same one in the Lego Batman book.

7. YESSSS Brainiac shitp is AWESOME!!

8. NOOOOOO no Parademons :(

edit:

9. I see what looks like Martian Manhunter so won't be exclusive polybag anymore. Hopefully its different in some way.

10. Mixels just keep getting better and better I swear.

neonglow

I'll definitely buy every Ultra Agents & DC set.

The Stormtrooper transport is gonna be a very popular set. I'll be buying several to make my army.

The Ninjago stuff seems weaker than previous series.

7. YESSSS Brainiac shitp is AWESOME!!

10. Mixels just keep getting better and better I swear.

That Braniac set has hints of being the next Luthor Power Armor. Looks very promising.

The completionist in me is really glad I don't dig any of the Mixels. I've bought a few and like the parts but I find them slightly off-putting aesthetically.

ghostmind

The other figure in the Black Manta set is Robin in scuba gear.

I see Green Arrow, Hawkman, Cyborg and Superman in the Darkseid set.

Martian Manhunter, Supergirl and Superman in the Braniac set.

Captain Cold, Flash, Wonder Woman, Batman, and a citizen in the Grodd set.

Top Bottom