• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

Rootbeer

Banned
100% buying those. They may not feel all that fresh or exciting but I'm in dire need of some pirates sets and not interested in paying the vintage markup. These feel very true to the classic pirates feel and at an accessible price. Oh, and they are new so no dealing with the potential problems of secondhand items.

Sadly, not all of us have older pirates in our collection (anymore) so I'll make do.

J2g was not able to get the skull Island set pics so keep in mind that it's absent in the video.

neonglow

I have a couple small random Pirates sets from my childhood. I always wanted one of the big pirate ships and the huge solider forts on those baseplates. I'm gonna get this entire line, but I wish there was a bigger building for the soldiers.

This was what I got as a kid for like $10.
1967-1.jpg

ghostmind

I am hearing that Jamie Berard may be in Seattle for Brickcon this weekend?!

Possible modular reveal imminent?

Take as a rumor for now!

Rootbeer

Banned
Detective Agency... T__T I will own you. Even though I only have two other modular buildings... you will be my third! The concept of it is just too awesome and will mix well with lots of other stuff.

No pirate monkeys = my biggest disappointment. Yeah, I need to bricklink some.

Rootbeer

Banned
Pirates 2015 was long rumored to be similar to Castle 2013 in how it was a fairly basic approach. That turned out true, but there is still stuff to dig there for me. Sure I'd be more psyched if it really hit all the right checkboxes, but clearly LEGO has more attention as well as some of their best designers working on other stuff (clearly not DC Superheroes:p)

Man, I went in that amiibo thread where a bunch of people were saying that adults displaying toys are 'manchildren' and its an 'indicator of other deviant behaviour' like full body anime dolls and akin to not cleaning off your dirty shelf before guests come over. Now my opinion on GAF is lowering :/

Ponn

Banned

So honestly i'm not trying to turn this into a thing of spotting stupid stuff but is that octopus holding a rum bottle? See so its not attacking the pirate, it was getting drunk with the pirate and tried to use the catapult against the soldier but it was too drunk and launched it at itself.

ghostmind

Man, I went in that amiibo thread where a bunch of people were saying that adults displaying toys are 'manchildren' and its an 'indicator of other deviant behaviour' like full body anime dolls and akin to not cleaning off your dirty shelf before guests come over. Now my opinion on GAF is lowering :/

Another reason why LEGO-GAF is Best-GAF.

We won't judge you... unless you buy MegaBloks or similar.

No, really we won't judge you - we will enable you - but we won't judge.

dalin80

Banned
The recent set pictures that have gone up are doing an excellent job at ensuring my Lego spending budget will be much more sensible next year. Thanks Lego, I needed to save a bit of money!

Ryuuroden

I just heard something is being announced at 10:30 pm eastern in Seattle. Think it's a modular.

EDIT:

Also picked up Batman Tumbler, 2 large cups of the tan 2x2 tiles (may get more tomorrow, I use tan a lot), and 25 CMF bags, got 1 of every type plus multiples of a few.

I may back off on all the stuff I planned to get this month, I will definitely pick up UCS Red Five but I don't think I will get anything else. I may even, if due to the lack of availability the tumbler starts selling for 300+ before Christmas, sell that as well. I need to back off on purchases because in addition to savings I put aside for future house I need to save up 4000 dollars by January 1st for my portion of startup costs when we take over the company/start the new company. I rather have the money than take out a loan and I do not want to take it from my other savings.

Hopefully it's a Police Station modular because then I can easily hold off on buying it (I already have my own custom made one) If it's a detective agency and/or just really awesome, I am sure I will be able to scrap up enough for the modular. We already have several big money install jobs lined up for next year and the first one is in January which is awesome because that usually is a super slow month.

Ravek

Banned
Another reason why LEGO-GAF is Best-GAF.

We won't judge you... unless you buy MegaBloks or similar.

No, really we won't judge you - we will enable you - but we won't judge.

We won't verbally/post judge you about MegaBloks...but we will think it.

Zerojul

Yeah I was juste browsing that thread and read some pretty weird arguments and assumptions. The good things is, reading it I remembered to preorder a full wave 1 amiibo set ;)

Anyway I'm a tad disapointed in the Pirates line. I would have loved a big, massive pirate ship. Hope for a new PotC line sometime in the future.

Ainaurdur

100% buying those. They may not feel all that fresh or exciting but I'm in dire need of some pirates sets and not interested in paying the vintage markup. These feel very true to the classic pirates feel and at an accessible price. Oh, and they are new so no dealing with the potential problems of secondhand items.

That's pretty much what I was going to say.

Even where they might not have added new piece moulds, I feel like there are some new colors of old pieces. Or subtle things that I don't recall seeing before that may or may not be new.
Anyway, I am looking forward to them all.

Ryuuroden

Huh, Town Hall finally but the dust. Welp, glad to have that temptation off my list.

Welp, so far every single set retirement I heard last december has been correct. All that is left on that list is VW Camper Van, Tower Bridge, Orthanc, and a few others. I was told all had their production runs ended end of last year and basically would only be in circulation till all the existing stock was sold out.

Pet Shop has a 30 day ship notice - wonder if it is next...

Probably more of a situation like Tumbler. The delay likely means they're out of stock and need to wait for more to be produced, while if it was going OOP there wouldn't be anymore coming.

I was tempted by Town Hall many times but everytime I looked at a review of it I'd always just go "eh". The scale of it is cool and from a distance the profile is nice, but then you get up close and it's just so much more PLAIN and simple than the other modulars. I'm relieved my temptations for it are gone.

Ryuuroden

Probably more of a situation like Tumbler. The delay likely means they're out of stock and need to wait for more to be produced, while if it was going OOP there wouldn't be anymore coming.

I was tempted by Town Hall many times but everytime I looked at a review of it I'd always just go "eh". The scale of it is cool and from a distance the profile is nice, but then you get up close and it's just so much more PLAIN and simple than the other modulars. I'm relieved my temptations for it are gone.

well, usually older sets like that when they go on 30 day notice it usually means end of days. I mean that set is pretty old. I would of figured Grand Emporium first tho. Maybe they are ending 3-4 (modular) sets this year though. I have noticed when they are making more they usually give a certain ship date and when something has become so scarce and is no longer in production so they have to ship it from different warehouses and such it gets "30 day ship notice" Take that with a grain of salt though, its just a pattern I've noticed

neonglow

well, usually older sets like that when they go on 30 day notice it usually means end of days. I mean that set is pretty old. I would of figured Grand Emporium first tho. Maybe they are ending 3-4 (modular) sets this year though. I have noticed when they are making more they usually give a certain ship date and when something has become so scarce and is no longer in production so they have to ship it from different warehouses and such it gets "30 day ship notice" Take that with a grain of salt though, its just a pattern I've noticed

Grand Emporium is done now too.

Yeah, but I think the rest of this year we'll probably be seeing more and more sets run into delays like that too. Remember, it's been reported there's going to be a shortage of Lego this holiday season and with the Tumbler going OOS for now we're already starting to see the beginning of that hitting.

I hope Pet Shop isn't going OOP as I'd like to get it sometime. I'm not as fanatical as some here about getting EVERYTHING I want (I've had financial issues this year due to bad decisions last year and so have learned to be more frugal in my spending, and leading to me prioritizing what I want most at the moment over the age of things) so if I miss it ah well, but my wishful thinking is that I'll have a chance next year!

Ryuuroden

Grand Emporium is done now too.

hmm well in that case I think Pet Shop will probably be OOP by end of the year if not sooner its already almost 4 years old.

Edit: On a separate note: I hope a new thread is being worked on and stuff because I have a feeling tonights announcement will burn roughly half of what we have left if not more :D

image.php

Chuckie

So honestly i'm not trying to turn this into a thing of spotting stupid stuff but is that octopus holding a rum bottle? See so its not attacking the pirate, it was getting drunk with the pirate and tried to use the catapult against the soldier but it was too drunk and launched it at itself.

It looks like a drunken fit of rage to me!

Interesting pirate things:

New bandana mold
Dark red brick texture brick
Plenty of rifles and pistols, those were getting a bit expensive to replace
Firing cannons

I'm also noting that the pirate ship isn't that much smaller than BSB. I'm thinking I'll get one and mod it into a modernized BSB.

Still mostly Elves stuff, the Frozen set, the ship and the modular on my radar. Still not too bad.

Question for fellow modular fans:

I have the Fire Brigade, Emporium, and Pet Shop. Haven't collected any legos in a couple of years. Just picked up the Parisian Restaurant, as it looks like the best modular in years.

I've always thought Town Hall was kinda boring and it's expensive at $200. However, looks like it's going OOP. I think my local lego store still has a few and it's double-VIP month. I checked out a review and it looks kinda cool with some good stuff inside, even though the build might look kinda boring.

I'm not really looking to pick up any more sets especially after just dropping $160 on the Parisian Restaurant. But.....is the Town Hall worth getting? I'm not trying to collect all the modulars, just the good ones / ones I like. Would I regret not picking this up down the line?

I have the Fire Brigade, Emporium, and Pet Shop. Haven't collected any legos in a couple of years. Just picked up the Parisian Restaurant, as it looks like the best modular in years.

I've always thought Town Hall was kinda boring and it's expensive at $200. However, looks like it's going OOP. I think my local lego store still has a few and it's double-VIP month. I checked out a review and it looks kinda cool with some good stuff inside, even though the build might look kinda boring.

I'm not really looking to pick up any more sets especially after just dropping $160 on the Parisian Restaurant. But.....is the Town Hall worth getting? I'm not trying to collect all the modulars, just the good ones / ones I like. Would I regret not picking this up down the line?

I would vote for "get it" simply because it provides a terrific focal point for the rest of them. It's much larger than the rest, but well within reasonable scale.

It isn't nearly as good as some of the others, but honestly the facade is actually pretty nice (especially the pillars/staircase on the first floor) and it really does fit in nicely.

R-User!

The recent set pictures that have gone up are doing an excellent job at ensuring my Lego spending budget will be much more sensible next year. Thanks Lego, I needed to save a bit of money!

Another reason why Everything LEGO is awesome; they care about your wallet and know when it needs a breather to catch its breath!

Ryuuroden

I would vote for get it as well. It already is OOP on the online store so if you are going to get it I would get it now. It will probably be at least 75 dollars more by end of the month and more after that even if it was a less popular set. I think while it doesn't have a multitude of amazing build techniques, it looks really nice.

Town Hall is listed as Sold Out not Retired. There is a reasonable chance it will come back. If you want to have one, and one is available by all means get it.

But Grand Emporium, SSD, and DS were Sold out multiple times. SSD finally just retired.

Just my $.02 but it would be weird for it to precede the Pet Shop.

Top Bottom