• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

ghostmind

The Inquisitor:

GkW83oL.png

The Star Wars set pics will be posted tomorrow.

Ainaurdur

Welp, so far every single set retirement I heard last december has been correct. All that is left on that list is VW Camper Van, Tower Bridge, Orthanc, and a few others. I was told all had their production runs ended end of last year and basically would only be in circulation till all the existing stock was sold out.

Gah... making me think some more about going ahead and grabbing the VW Van now before it's gone. Had almost talked myself out of it.

Anyway, Orthanc arrived today!
I just finished building the Ent, got him holding the orc in his left hand, and the eagle perched on his right shoulder.

A shame that they didn't release a set with just an Ent. Could be a decent $25~ entry into the line.
I know plenty of people are saying that the LotR/Hobbit themes are probably done after the wave later this month. I agree it's likely. These dreams I had of the theme being a lasting thing like Star Wars has been, and could still be, feels like the thing that hurt them is the designers put on the project. Some of the sets have just been lackluster or disappointing. Or maybe the buyer demand wouldn't have been there even if the sets were better? I'll just enjoy the sets I have yet to build, and maybe eventually start MOCing some of the other locations and scenes I had hoped to see.

Will I never get my Eowyn minifig? *sniff*

Eowyn, Nazgul, Faramir, old man Bilbo, Gothmog, Oliphants. I'm sure there's plenty I'm missing, but there was so much more potential for Lord of the Rings. Sometimes I just wish they'd do a collectible minifigure series for every license they acquire. Themes come and go without ever being to able to fully realize their full potential, or recreate every major character from it's respective series.

What is that figure from? Is it expanded universe Star Wars? Looks nice.

Are we possibly half an hour from the modular reveal?

I'm more excited than I should be.

ghostmind

UCS Slave I just got officially announced.

662uBuJ.jpg

Recommended for ages 14+, the Slave I will comprise of 1,996 pieces and will retail for US $199.99, CA $229.99, DE 199.99€, UK £169.99 and DK 1699.00 DKK from 1st January 2015.

Lift off for bounty-hunting adventures in the Slave I! Search the galaxy for fugitives with Boba Fett and his Slave I with rotating cockpit and wings, dual shooters and a display stand. Track down fugitives with legendary bounty hunter, Boba Fett aboard the powerful Slave I! This exclusive LEGO® Star Wars model features a rotating cockpit and wings for flight and landing mode, plus dual shooters and hidden blasters to repel attackers. Reenact the capture of Han Solo in Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back and take off from Bespin with the carbonite-imprisoned Rebel hero in the cargo hold. Attach the stand to display this iconic ship in characteristic upright flight. Includes 4 minifigures with weapons: Boba Fett, Bespin Guard, Stormtrooper and Han Solo.

Includes 4 minifigures with weapons: Boba Fett, Bespin Guard, Stormtrooper and Han Solo • Also includes Han Solo in carbonite!
  • Features a rotating cockpit and wings, opening side hatches with hidden guns and missiles, 2 rotating dual shooters, cargo hold and a display stand with data sheet
  • Weapons include special blaster pistol for Boba Fett, blaster pistol for Bespin Guard and a blaster rifle for the Stormtrooper
  • Boba Fett and Bespin Guard minifigures are unique to this set
  • Rotate the cockpit and wings for flight and landing mode
  • Place carbonite-imprisoned Han Solo in the cargo hold
  • Open the side hatches to unleash missiles from the hidden guns
  • Showcase the huge Slave I in upright flight on the display stand
  • Recreate classic scenes from Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back
  • Measures over 7” (20cm) high, 17” (45cm) long and 14” (37cm) wide in landing mode

Designer Video:

http://youtu.be/pIO8Ne0CfkU

na9EC0F.jpg

hKgBwG8.jpg

IP76S52.jpg

O8egOiF.jpg

January 1st eh? Well, that makes my upcoming order easier. Editing my bag now and deciding what to get.

EDIT: Think I am just going to stop getting Winter Village stuff. I liked the Cottage, but had more fun making a MOC for the holidays. So no market or santa workshop for me. For now. Until I change my mind.

neonglow

That earlier leak took the wind out of this announcement. I wonder if it changed LEGO's announcement plans at all by unveiling this set instead of the modular.

Okay, decision time. Sea Cow or Sandcrawler ? I am thinking Sea Cow since the Sandcrawler will probably get a discount on May 4th.

EDIT: And Fairground Mixer or the last two Winter Village sets?

ghostmind

That earlier leak took the wind out of this announcement. I wonder if it changed LEGO's announcement plans at all by unveiling this set instead of the modular.

I'm wondering the same thing. I'm also thinking that the next modular will go back to the old March 1st release date, because I don't see them releasing a UCS set and a modular on the same day.

And do we have to wait until November 21st for the modular reveal, or is there actually something being revealed on the October 6th still?

Ponn

Banned
January 1st eh? Well, that makes my upcoming order easier. Editing my bag now and deciding what to get.

EDIT: Think I am just going to stop getting Winter Village stuff. I liked the Cottage, but had more fun making a MOC for the holidays. So no market or santa workshop for me. For now. Until I change my mind.

I could understand maybe skipping WV Market but Santas Toyshop? for $70? You get Mrs. Claus, elves and that sweet sleigh with the reindeer and printed bricks.

And I vote Sea Cow.

Ryuuroden

Well lol, I might have to visit the Lego Store again tomorrow. The manager was the one who told me there would be an announcement at 10:30 tonight of a new set and was wondering what it would be. Asked me since I usually know a lot of stuff early. I was like wut, there's an announcement? I thought that there was one on the 6th not today. Then I said, "well LEGO Group" hasn't officially announced Slave 1 yet so it could be that but I have also heard of rumors of the next lego modular and last year that was announced around this time so, maybe one of those?" Feels good man.

Ryuuroden

I could understand maybe skipping WV Market but Santas Toyshop? for $70? You get Mrs. Claus, elves and that sweet sleigh with the reindeer and printed bricks.

And I vote Sea Cow.

Yeah why would you skip the toy shop and holyshit i throw all the votes I have at Sea Cow. Easily my favorite build this year after Parisian restaurant. The pictures just do not do the set justice at all. It is just way more spectacular than you think.

ghostmind

Okay, decision time. Sea Cow or Sandcrawler ? I am thinking Sea Cow since the Sandcrawler will probably get a discount on May 4th.

I think you'd have more enjoyment out of the Sea Cow build Phon, so I would say go for that one first.

As to your second question, I would say Fairground Mixer AND Santa's Workshop. If you aren't going to collect the WV series, then you should get the one set that I think can stand on its own the best. And it ties into the Holiday promo sets from this year.

So, I am going to have some fun when this arrives:

SjEgmGo.png

And in the next week or so, the movers will drop everything off here. I cant dip into my old sets until I am in the permanent apartment, but I will build one or all of these incoming sets.

And once in the permanent apartment, it is time to rebuild TONS of stuff. I have a busy few months. :)

Ainaurdur

Sea Cow sounds like the right choice for now. (I will also be keeping Sandcrawler in mind for next May the 4th since I have thankfully talked myself out of getting it this month.)

Edit: Holy slow posting. I echo Ghostmind...

Dat. Haul.

That haul Phon... THAT HAUL!

I warned you all months ago that once the financial situation was worked out, I would make a ridiculous haul in October. And it is ridiculous.

Now to just save up for Fairground Mixer and Sandcrawler for Black Friday (cmon triple VIP!) and I am all caught up for the last two years. BOO YA!

Well, and Tumbler once it shows back up on LEGO.com. Maybe order that and Slave 1 in January.

And also going to get some bonus VIP in a week or so when my wife orders a VW Camper for her mother. I hope it lasts til the end of the month.

EDIT: I am more excited for the seasonal animals than anything. The Mini Cooper being the most anticipated set of that order.
Sydney Opera House will be a glorified parts pack. I am drooling thinking of the sheer volume of parts in that set.

Ryuuroden

SjEgmGo.png

And in the next week or so, the movers will drop everything off here. I cant dip into my old sets until I am in the permanent apartment, but I will build one or all of these incoming sets.

And once in the permanent apartment, it is time to rebuild TONS of stuff. I have a busy few months. :)

YEEEEEEEEEEEEES, I LOVE IT, THAT BEAUTIFUL HAUL. I still don't know if I will be able to do the Haul I want to do this month but I am going back to the store tomorrow to pick up Red Five so thats Red Five, Tumbler and CMF 12 covered so far on my list for the month.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEES, I LOVE IT, THAT BEAUTIFUL HAUL. I still don't know if I will be able to do the Haul I want to do this month but I am going back to the store tomorrow to pick up Red Five so thats Red Five, Tumbler and CMF 12 covered so far on my list for the month.

Man, I really want a Tumbler NOW. The wait until early next year is going to suck. I am not driving to Nashville just to get one. The sales tax hurts too much.

As for my haul, I debated about getting Opera House or a new iPhone. I decided my current phone is working just fine, and that my LEGO drought was too long this year. So I satisfied my thirst.

The rebuild list once moved in:
Best Star, Imperial Shuttle, Super Star Destroyer, Orthanc, Ewok Village, UCS B-Wing, and R2-D2. That I can remember.
And depending on how well they survive the trip, I might have to repair or completely rebuild Haunted House, Maersk, Horizon Express, VW Camper, Parisian Restaurant, Palace Cinema, Town Hall, Pet Shop, Fire Brigade, Grand Emporium, and Red Five Sex Wing.

Ryuuroden

Man, I really want a Tumbler NOW. The wait until early next year is going to suck. I am not driving to Nashville just to get one. The sales tax hurts too much.

As for my haul, I debated about getting Opera House or a new iPhone. I decided my current phone is working just fine, and that my LEGO drought was too long this year. So I satisfied my thirst.

The rebuild list once moved in:
Best Star, Imperial Shuttle, Super Star Destroyer, Orthanc, Ewok Village, UCS B-Wing, and R2-D2. That I can remember.
And depending on how well they survive the trip, I might have to repair or completely rebuild Haunted House, Maersk, Horizon Express, VW Camper, Parisian Restaurant, Palace Cinema, Town Hall, Pet Shop, Fire Brigade, Grand Emporium, and Red Five Sex Wing.

No B-(best) Wing?

EDIT: lol nm i missed it somehow

Or did I....you edited it >.>

No B-(best) Wing?

EDIT: lol nm i missed it somehow

Or did I....you edited it >.>

I'm a tricksy lil Hobbits.

1MrGXUD.jpg

EDIT: I was going through a mental inventory of my old apartment and where things were to remember what was boxed up and what was completely disassembled before moving.

EDIT 2: I thought about breaking it up into multiple orders to get more free sets, but it didn't seem as epic.

neonglow

I'm a tricksy lil Hobbits.

1MrGXUD.jpg

EDIT: I was going through a mental inventory of my old apartment and where things were to remember what was boxed up and what was completely disassembled before moving.

EDIT 2: I thought about breaking it up into multiple orders to get more free sets, but it didn't seem as epic.

Breaking it up would have gotten you 10 elves to go with Santa's Workshop! What's a workshop without the people to populate it with?

Rootbeer

Banned
Slave I January first... January is already so packed though... holy fuck. Guess I need to start saving for many items then.

At the $199 price this thing is going to be immensely popular. The most popular UCS in some time.

Love the inquisitor minifig! And YES they gave him a custom lightsaber hilt! This gives me hope that Ezra will get one as well since he has an equally unique lightsaber design.

Zerojul

Digging the Slave I, insta-buy for me.
The inquisitor fig is looking good, too. Need to start watching the show to decide if I get the sets or not, but what I've seen of the Rebels line so far is quit enticing.

And Phon, holy shit that haul is nice :)

R-User!

Ok...

SLAVE 1 = EPIC! "I sense much Technic in this one..."

Dat Haul! Congrats!

Don't worry about The Tumbler... save it for a drought period for next year (perhaps double points march)... you'll know you have an epic set just sitting there waiting for you with your name on it!

Or just drive to Nashville... ... enabler's gonna enable! ;)

theaface

Question for fellow modular fans:

...is the Town Hall worth getting? I'm not trying to collect all the modulars, just the good ones / ones I like. Would I regret not picking this up down the line?

Get it! I actually think it's pretty great, even if it's not the best modular, and it's always struck me like it deserves to be the centrepiece of a huge modular lineup.

Ok...

SLAVE 1 = EPIC! "I sense much Technic in this one..."

Dat Haul! Congrats!

Don't worry about The Tumbler... save it for a drought period for next year (perhaps double points march)... you'll know you have an epic set just sitting there waiting for you with your name on it!

Or just drive to Nashville... ... enabler's gonna enable! ;)

ugh please not... i don't like Technic centric builds, just like the R-2 where i love how the finished model looks but the actual inside was a drag for me :(

Anyway, the Slave I is a must simply because of how nice and clean the finished model looks

wetwired

So first day of the lego expo is done, people are digging the batcave and I've been signing a lot of ghostbusters sets

We had out group social night tonight which involves raffles, auctions and games/prizes.

I won the 60050 Train station in the raffle, annoyingly though they had a Tumbler in the raffle too, the woman who won thought she put her ticket in the bucket for the mixer (there was some confusion earlier on as to whether the Tumbler/Mixer would be auctioned or raffled)

So she won it not really wanting it, so I'm trying to fandangle her out of it. Currently I've offered her the bike shop (which we got for displaying at the show) PLUS the train station I won PLUS a small fire truck set I got in one of the games PLUS a brown mixel PLUS a ghostbusters set signed by myself.

She's thinking about it....tempted to offer her cash tomorrow instead.

it-will-be-mine-o.gif

Fowler

I am not a big Boba Fett guy and never really liked Slave 1... but man, that model is REALLY REALLY well done. What an awesome job.

wetwired

I am not a big Boba Fett guy and never really liked Slave 1... but man, that model is REALLY REALLY well done. What an awesome job.

yeah I just finished watching the video, I've only bought 2 star wars sets before (droid pod landing thing with c3po and r2d2 and the sarlacc pit one, but that Slave 1 is mighty sexy, I guess it finally breaks the monochromatic colour scheme combo UCS Star wars sets have going on

Ravek

Banned

SjEgmGo.png

...so much envy...

Fowler

yeah I just finished watching the video, I've only bought 2 star wars sets before (droid pod landing thing with c3po and r2d2 and the sarlacc pit one, but that Slave 1 is mighty sexy, I guess it finally breaks the monochromatic colour scheme combo UCS Star wars sets have going on

That's true, the colours are striking.

It just feels so right to me. Any time you reproduce stuff in LEGO there has to be trade-offs, right? Size, detail, something has to give. But this... just seems right. It's the right size, has all the right features, and looks MIGHTY fine.

(I guess the cockpit isn't big enough to match the interiors we saw in Attack of the Clones, but the prequels didn't exist and were just a hallucination so it doesn't count.)

It just feels so right to me. Any time you reproduce stuff in LEGO there has to be trade-offs, right? Size, detail, something has to give. But this... just seems right. It's the right size, has all the right features, and looks MIGHTY fine.

(I guess the cockpit isn't big enough to match the interiors we saw in Attack of the Clones, but the prequels didn't exist and were just a hallucination so it doesn't count.)

haha indeed they didn't my friend ;)

Yeah i guess it looks like that really IS this Slave I's greatest strength, that it has no obvious weaknesses from what you can tell so far :)

Rootbeer

Banned
I wish they focused just a tad more on the interior, if it's a 'playset' it would be nice to have some stuff to do inside the ship other than sit at the cockpit. You can't have it all in a LEGO model though, they chose to focus more on stability so it can be held and swooshed better.

Really is a minor complaint though as it is going to display phenomenally well and it has some nice exterior features.

Woorloog

Banned

It lacks the mine launcher (though i don't recall if Boba's Slave 1 had it anymore), the hidden weapons aren't quite right (but then we never saw them in the OT), and it seems to be lacking the interiors as you say but otherwise, it is rather accurate considering the minifig scale.

The mine launcher might be an interesting modification to make...

If i were buying some lego set, it would be this one. Always liked Slave I.

Top Bottom