• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

Gotta say i do dig some of those OT SW Microfighters... however, looking at that clone wars stuff and those Chima sets etc. i can't help but feel that Lego is moving in a direction i do not necessarily appreciate. Seems they are going more and more for the obvious TOYS look (more akin to something like Playmobile) and less that more serious displayable look (more detailed). Lots of huge pieces and stickers indicate this as well as their boxes for some of the SW lines and Superheroes theme as well which just look a lot kiddier than previous iterations :(

I guess this is fine that they seem to be marketing more aggressively toward kids since that IS their main target market after all, it's just that i feel they might alienate quite a few adult collectors of those SAME themes by doing this (like me )

For Dr Who and Vic Viper fans.

10998310086_259b9cf306.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/custombricks/10998310086/in/photostream/

Gotta say i do dig some of those OT SW Microfighters... however, looking at that clone wars stuff and those Chima sets etc. i can't help but feel that Lego is moving in a direction i do not necessarily appreciate. Seems they are going more and more for the obvious TOYS look (more akin to something like Playmobile) and less that more serious displayable look (more detailed). Lots of huge pieces and stickers indicate this as well as their boxes for some of the SW lines and Superheroes theme as well which just look a lot kiddier than previous iterations :(

I guess this is fine that they seem to be marketing more aggressively toward kids since that IS their main target market after all, it's just that i feel they might alienate quite a few adult collectors of those SAME themes by doing this (like me )

On the other hand, I watched Jang's reviews of the City sets and they all look amazing. Very, very detailed, almost model like designs, with plenty of interesting details and features. If I had any interest in City stuff, I would be all over those.

But yeah, the new Chima stuff, the Star Wars sets and the recent Hobbit sets really look like just a bunch of stuff stacked together. Maybe they rotate their best designers between the themes?

Ponn

Banned
This is what Toys N Bricks is listing for the UK. I assume most discounts are similar so it's pretty lackluster.

qGYyljr.jpg

eh...ok thanks. The couple i'm interested in I already have. Can't recommend Unexpected Journey enough, still one of my surprise favorite Hobbit/LoTR sets this past year along with Council of Elrond. Just a really fun set to assemble and displays really wonderful.

One day I want somebody to ask the Lego designers how they come up with these polybag sets. There has to be some method to the madness.

This is what Toys N Bricks is listing for the UK. I assume most discounts are similar so it's pretty lackluster.

qGYyljr.jpg

Doubt that carries over to USA. B-Wing hasnt been available since the great purge of May 4th AFAIK.

Heck, as long as they keep the 10% off total purchase, I am happy. Arkham is calling.

sharbhund

eh...ok thanks. The couple i'm interested in I already have. Can't recommend Unexpected Journey enough, still one of my surprise favorite Hobbit/LoTR sets this past year along with Council of Elrond. Just a really fun set to assemble and displays really wonderful.

I think you're thinking of set 79003 -- An Unexpected Gathering. The set on sale is the Hobbit game:

kON9jw9.jpg

Still going to wait until next Friday. From what I remember the extra 10% off didnt apply until Black Friday. If I can combine 10% off with triple VIP, WHOA BOY!

Arkham is the only thing in the cart. Now to be strong and not rack up more debt and get Sydney Opera House as well.

Site is now advertising triple VIP points. Technically that is the same as 10% off, but you get that 10% back later. Still going to wait and hope that we get triple VIP and 10% off together next weekend.

Hmmm... have some items in the cart... decisions decisions.

Wait til next Friday. We know the holiday set will still be there, and pretty sure triple VIP will be too. The likelihood of certain sets being discounted is higher too. Even if we lose triple VIP (which my gut is saying we wont), I think better deals will be had that day.

Speaking of which, I have a 20% off coupon for BN if anyone wants it. Works this weekend only. The coupon is 20% off any item (members and non members), but is 30% off if you use a MasterCard while purchasing. My local store has all the Architecture series in (including Studio), Master Builder Academy, and all new Star Wars sets (Republic Gunship, etc). Good deal on stuff if anyone wants to coupon. Just PM me with your email address and I shall forward it.

Today only we get 10% off on purchases over about $180, free shipping and a xmas polybag. Oh yay.

We also got the same sales listed, with the addition of the series 4 planets. About 20% off on those.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Site is now advertising triple VIP points. Technically that is the same as 10% off, but you get that 10% back later. Still going to wait and hope that we get triple VIP and 10% off together next weekend.

Site says today only and we get the second Christmas set.

keiichi

Didn't the Bwing go out in a $99 blaze of glory or was that a May the Fourth sale?

Wait, are there rumors of triple points happening next week too? My email only states today.

ghostmind

Didn't the Bwing go out in a $99 blaze of glory or was that a May the Fourth sale?

Wait, are there rumors of triple points happening next week too? My email only states today.

B-wing went OOP in North America shortly after the May the Fourth sale, but it has remained available in other countries, as they never had that sale.

Strike!
I rang up LEGO to see wether they still had any available to order via the phone. Turns out they did!
10% off for VIP members today
another 20 % off the B-Wing
-95€ in VIP points
is a freaking bargain! :D

had to use all my saved up VIP points at some point, so why not today! ^^

ghostmind

Strike!
I rang up LEGO to see wether they still had any available to order via the phone. Turns out they did!
-95€ in VIP points

Congrats! I think the B-wing was very underrated.

Ryuuroden

Strike!
-95€ in VIP points

wow congrats, I'm glad you didn't miss out. I still have my B-Wing sitting waiting to be built.

So as feared, it was pretty lame.

There were a few sale items (mini modulars @ $79.99, Palpatine's Arrest at $89) but on the whole the deals were underwhelming. 20% off Lone Ranger as well.

My daughter filled the free pick-a-brick box with a ludicrously unfocused collection of things, which she loved. I got a scratch/crack ticket that revealed a free keychain (daughter chose the golden VIP minifig one) and there was triple VIP on purchases. A second free PAB box for the new year as well, as per usual.

I ended up using my $130 in VIP points to take the plunge on a train. As recommended I went with the Passenger Train since it seems like a good entry into the power functions. It was a toss up between that, the VW Camper and the WV Market. My OCD is kicking in about the market so I may end up picking it up before Christmas. I also grabbed the Batman DVD since it was 50% off and I'm fine paying $12 for that Clark Kent fig.

I'm glad I went since I got the second half of the holiday series without having to brave the madness, but it was nothing special.

Strike!
-95€ in VIP points

Glad you found one! It really is a fantastic ship.

shadow29

Neo Member
So much PAB at the store today. Ryuuroden and Bentbricks, I have some cups for you.

Unfortunately I wanted the Minimods and they didn't have them in stock again. Guess Ill order em off the site once its back up.

Ryuuroden

So much PAB at the store today. Ryuuroden and Bentbricks, I have some cups for you.

Unfortunately I wanted the Minimods and they didn't have them in stock again. Guess Ill order em off the site once its back up.

Lol, nice, I came back to see this post right after I finally had a chance to mail your PAB I got for you a month ago. It should be at your place by Tuesday. What did you get for me and how many containers? If it's just 1 container, just wait for the package from me to arrive and send the PAB in that and we can call it a trade. If more, let me know, anyways we can work it out in PM.

shadow29

Neo Member
Lol, nice, I came back to see this post right after I finally had a chance to mail your PAB I got for you a month ago. It should be at your place by Tuesday. What did you get for me and how many containers? If it's just 1 container, just wait for the package from me to arrive and send the PAB in that and we can call it a trade. If more, let me know, anyways we can work it out in PM.

Only one. Green tree leaves and some other stuff to fill the space in a bit. Really wish I had the time to really pack it in there, but there are a good deal of them regardless.

For BB I have some tree leaves, Palm tree leaves and 1x2 purple tiles.

And for my self I mixed up some 4 length fence, both leaves, 1x4 tan bricks, 1x4 brown bricks that are rounded at each stud, and some pink and dark pink bricks. Get in some friends colors without having to buy the sets.

Which is why i couldn't fully pack em in. Only had an hour and i ended up with 6 cups and a holiday for the three of us. Quite a rush.

Ryuuroden

Only one. Green tree leaves and some other stuff to fill the space in a bit. Really wish I had the time to really pack it in there, but there are a good deal of them regardless.

For BB I have some tree leaves, Palm tree leaves and 1x2 purple tiles.

And for my self I mixed up some 4 length fence, both leaves, 1x4 tan bricks, 1x4 brown bricks that are rounded at each stud, and some pink and dark pink bricks. Get in some friends colors without having to buy the sets.

Which is why i couldn't fully pack em in. Only had an hour and i ended up with 6 cups and a holiday for the three of us. Quite a rush.

Awesome, tree leaves, I can start on my city park soon then.

Top Bottom