• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

ghostmind

courtesy of Eurobricks:

vjlVLm3.jpg

WHOA! Hulk Lab Smash is the mini figure set of the forever!
Hulk with purple pants!
Falcon!
Classic Comic Thor!
MODOK!
TASKMASTER! TASKMASTER!

When is it coming? I need it!

EDIT: It says March. Not soon enough! I need a Taskmaster figure.

ghostmind

WHOA! Hulk Lab Smash is the mini figure set of the forever!
Hulk with purple pants!
Falcon!
Classic Comic Thor!
MODOK!
TASKMASTER! TASKMASTER!

When is it coming? I need it!

EDIT: It says March. Not soon enough! I need a Taskmaster figure.

I'm really stoked about Taskmaster.

This is from an Australia/NZ catalog, so dates may not be the same for North America.

I'm really stoked about Taskmaster.

This is from an Australia/NZ catalog, so dates may not be the same for North America.

Now I just need a DC set with Deathstroke. Please.

I would LOVE if they made a set based around the Arrow shot though.

EDIT: Also love that the set names are switched for the Electro and Doc Ock sets.

courtesy of Eurobricks:

You know what I love about Ultimate Spider-Man "Hulk Smash Lab" set?

There is no Spider-Man and a TON of minifigs of super heroes and villains we haven't had yet!!!

This is my childhood dream come true!!! Ever since I was a little kid in the 70's I wanted super hero LEGO. *sniff* *sniff*

Also, it was begged for before: where is our Hydra army builder pack?

* Drool *

Can't wait for super hero battle packs! If that Hydra set sells well enough, I hope a Hydra battle pack comes out.

That Hydra set looks very military (well, fake military). I like it a lot. Wish it came with 2 Hydra agents.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
They still have it near you? All the advent calendars disappeared from around here weeks ago. We get so many angry customers daily that we dont have anymore and that no other types of stores nearby have any either.

idk, haven't looked honestly, if it is gone no big deal.

The Doc Oc set will integrate well into my modular super hero scene! Speaking of, I really need to make a moc bank some time this year...

It looks like the Hulk set exists only as a means to sell the minifigs, which are awesome. I'll get them all. I love em.

That Cap/Red Skull set looks fantastic.

We watched the new Marvel Lego thing on netflix last night. And while it was pretty funny, it mostly just got me anticipating some minifigures that will eventually come down the pipeline. Like the Abomination, Red Skull, and so on.

And that beautiful zamboni that the Chitauri drove around Loki's palace. Stupendous.

Oh, and we got the Daily Bugle showdown last night as well. I kinda regret buying it, but absolutely love JJJ, Spider-Man, and Doom so oh well.

neonglow

It looks like they swapped the Electro figure to be based on the Amazing Spiderman 2 movie. The preliminary photo showed the classic version. Does anyone have a copy of the prototype model?

This is a classic Krang robot suit waiting to be made

Ninja-Turtles-Classics-Krang-Shredder.jpg

On that note, the new TMNT sets are based on what versions of the turtles? I forget... Plus I never understood why Kraang chose to have his suit looked like that... Looked like an inbred wrestler wearing fist of North Star body armor... Though I always like it for some reason.

wetwired

My personal top 5 sets of the year.
This is just what I bought and built that was released this year. There are still sets that I want (hello, Sydney Opera House!), but of 40 sets released in 2013 that I bought, these were my favorites.

10236_box3_na.jpg

1. Ewok Village
Big. Bold. Beautiful.
I know playsets are not everyone’s cup of tea, but I am a sucker for a well made one. This set comes with tons of great parts for future MOCs (if I ever do take it apart permanently that is), and tons of neat techniques to use later (some I already stole shamelessly). Each tree trunk was just different enough to keep you on your toes, but also similar enough that it didn’t throw you off.
So many interactive features throughout, the set is just brimming with charm and character that has to be built to really appreciate. Not to mention that it comes with a whopping 17 mini figures. The Star Wars line saved the best for last this year.
So much going on in the set. My full 50 pic review of the set, and that really does not do it justice. Finally, a set that gives the Best Star a run for its money for just being fun and makes you feel like a kid again.

70708_alt1.jpg

2. Hive Crawler
Speaking of feeling like a kid again, that is how I felt both times I built this set this year. A lot of great pieces in it, and some unique technique as it goes together. I was giggling as I finished this and started running it around the floor of my apartment and terrorizing my cats with the moving legs and egg sac launching action. There really isn’t a set that I have built to compare this to. Just a helluva lot of fun from start to finish. Especially at the finish.

79110_alt1.jpg

3. Silver Mine Shootout
Another unique build, but a terrific playset. The build is a bit chaotic, but that is what makes it so fun. Very little symmetry in it as it is mainly just ragged rock formations. But the real glory of the set is along the back side of it with all the play features. The sheer volume of interactive play features crammed into a set with a footprint this small is astounding, and so much fun to pose figures on and play with.

10240_box3_na.jpg

4. Red Five X-Wing Starfighter
Another big and beautiful Star Wars UCS set, so no surprise it was great. The gear structure inside the main body is great, and the fact that there are no rubber bands to make the wings work is even better. The wings get a bit repetitious at the end, and the stickers on the wind screen are terror inducing because of how precise you have to be, but the end results speak for themselves. An iconic ship from the series, given the proper glory once again from LEGO.

70705_alt1.jpg

5. Bug Obliterator
Yeah, another Galaxy Squad set. This was the first in the line that I bought, and it was mostly downhill from here until Hive Crawler. So much SNOT in here, and so many neat little techniques. What sets this apart from the rest of the great Galaxy Squad line is that both vehicles feel like complete sets you could buy on their own. They just happen to combine into one awesome vehicle when done.
The bug in it is also a fun build, and just adds further charm to a fantastic set.

Honorable Mentions
Some other sets that were a ton of fun to build and play with, but in no particular order.

10233_box3_na.jpg

70707_alt1.jpg

41015_alt1.jpg

79111_alt1.jpg

10937_box3_na.jpg

10237-1.jpg

31004_alt1.jpg

70704_alt1.jpg

Favorite Theme of the Year

70700_alt1.jpg

Well, duh. Galaxy Squad.
A nice return of a space theme, but with tons of character in almost every single set. It may not have been everyone’s cup of tea, but it brought a flood of nostalgia for me and my love of the classic Space System sets. It just had a modern twist to it.

Favorite Mini Figure of the Year
sh052.jpg

Doctor Doom. Currently only in Spider-Man: Daily Bugle Showdown.
The set itself was ok, but the mini figs in it are really tough to top. Especially ole Victor Von Doom here. I am biased a bit in this, because I LOVE Doctor Doom, so I was obviously enthusiastic to finally get him in LEGO form.

Good post, I'll have to do my year rundown when a few last sets for the year I've ordered show up :)

Ponn

Banned
Don't know if they are all 2013 sets or not but my favorite sets of this year

1) Hobbit Unexpected Journey (GATHERING) - when thinking about I surprised myself when realizing this was my overall favorite set this year. Just a really fun build with some new techniques I never saw (the window). Very different, had smile on my face while putting it together and smile whenever I look at it. Displays very well and everyone who sees it asks about it want to play with it.

2) Orthanc - I put this slightly ahead of Haunted House because it's just so epic a build as a LoTR fan. Repetitive but very satisfying as it gets taller and taller and the SNOT work outside is outstanding. Looks just so monolithic and evil on display.

3) Haunted House - yea it was a last year set but I didn't get it till this year so nya nya. First "modular" build, very different for me. Great figs, So great on display.

4) Quinjet - You all win, great set for the price with great figs. Fun to mess around with and I really need to get around to making a stand thing for it.

5) Arkham - The figs are of course the major draw but loved the window techniques and replaced my Haunted House gate with this fantastic gate. Displays well with a surprisingly smallish footprint compared to other sets I have.

6) TMNT Kraang Lab - my favorite el cheapo set this year. 3 great figs for about $10, nice little tripod build for the kraang and you get mikey and a pizza.

7) LoTR Elrond Council - such a serene looking set, two good figs (arwen and Elrond) and some great pieces.

8) Spider-cycle chase - You get spidey, Venom and Nick Fury. This should be enough but the motorcycle is actually kind of cool (even though I still say its silly to give spidey a motorcycle) but the car is surprisingly fun and I still have my hulk small fig riding around in it like a pimp.

9) Winter Village Market - Good value for money, lots of colorful unique pieces and I really loved the mechanics of the carousel build. I have it on display at work and have actually had people asking me where to buy one. They flip out when they ask me if the carousel actually works and I show it to them.

10) Reserved because i'm sure one of the backlog sets I have to put together would fall in here

I don't have a list but I do have to agree that Unexpected Gathering is my favorite. I keep looking at it and never get bored of it! So good <3

I've been thinking of getting the Kraang lab but I'm back n forth on it. I'm way more stingy with my money than I'd like to be.

Short review of Cat & Mouse set:

VtKXemH.gif

One thing on the Creator sets now. They no longer put a parts inventory on the top of the box. I miss that. I loved that about the Creator series.

On that note, time to watch a movie.

ghostmind

Vampyre Castle and the Ghost Train are now both OOP.

Dynamic Duo Funhouse is now gone, and may climb in value quickly, since it was an exclusive set.

A ton of Friends sets are now OOP - however Olivia's House is still available.

Creator Log Cabin is done. It lasted longer than its counterpart, the Lighthouse.

Hoth Echo base is finally gone - good riddance.

The Y-wing, TIE Fighter, Republic Striker and Sith Interceptor are now OOP - wonder how long the X-wing will last?

The previous Police Station (and its Forest counterpart) are now both conveniently OOP - just in time for the 2014 version to arrive.

Did both Monkey and Kitty set tonight. Damn, both of those were great. Very unique and different from anything else.

The monkey head was the coolest part to build between the two, but I like the kitty more. Both have tons of character and personality, but the facial features on the cat are a bit better and open to better expressions.

Both are utterly fantastic sets, and great parts packs to boot. So good, I now have spare 1x1 round tiles with eyes on them, so my giant yeti now has eyes. :)

Heckuva way for the 2014 sets to kick off. Even stronger start for Creator than 2013 had. And that had Power Mech and Fierce Flyer.

ghostmind

Did both Monkey and Kitty set tonight. Damn, both of those were great. Very unique and different from anything else.

The monkey head was the coolest part to build between the two, but I like the kitty more. Both have tons of character and personality, but the facial features on the cat are a bit better and open to better expressions.

Both are utterly fantastic sets, and great parts packs to boot. So good, I now have spare 1x1 round tiles with eyes on them, so my giant yeti now has eyes. :)

Heckuva way for the 2014 sets to kick off. Even stronger start for Creator than 2013 had. And that had Power Mech and Fierce Flyer.

That monkey head was a great build. I gave the built set to my son, as he really likes these animals. He's really looking forward to the Cat&Mouse set (he wants to build the bunny alt build) - glad to hear the set delivers.

That monkey head was a great build. I gave the built set to my son, as he really likes these animals. He's really looking forward to the Cat&Mouse set (he wants to build the bunny alt build) - glad to hear the set delivers.
Kitty set is a better parts pack too. New colors for familiar bricks(for me at least), and in good quantity too.

Still annoyed the top if the box doesn't give a set parts inventory like it always used to. That was so handy when in a store and debating about a set.

ghostmind

Kitty set is a better parts pack too. New colors for familiar bricks(for me at least), and in good quantity too.

Still annoyed the top if the box doesn't give a set parts inventory like it always used to. That was so handy when in a store and debating about a set.

Did you see the Mountain Hut set when you were at TRU?

Horrifyingly ugly. Looks like a PlayStation 1 game in real life.

haha exactly my thoughts!

Damn, if WWE woulda gone with LEGO, that could have truly been the epic theme of the forever for me anyways.... I would have bought them ALL, imagine classic wrestling figures in Lego, how awesome would that have been? Though you really cannot make that many actual sets with it, i mean how many different rings could you possibly do?

Damn shame still, such wasted potential :(

ghostmind

In somewhat-related news, Disney has purchased the rights to the Indiana Jones franchise from Paramount, which means that all future Indy films will be marketed and distributed by Disney. Ownership of all of the Indy films was already at Disney. Paramount retains the right to distribute the existing films, though Disney will get a chunk of that change.

I've been lamenting the fact that I had missed picking up the Indiana Jones LEGO sets before they went OOP and got very expensive. Every so often I still get the urge to just get them anyway. Hopefully this news means that we can have the franchise continue (and in a fashion better than the Crystal Skull) and that we will see some new LEGO sets as a result.

In somewhat-related news, Disney has purchased the rights to the Indiana Jones franchise from Paramount, which means that all future Indy films will be marketed and distributed by Disney. Ownership of all of the Indy films was already at Disney. Paramount retains the right to distribute the existing films, though Disney will get a chunk of that change.

I've been lamenting the fact that I had missed picking up the Indiana Jones LEGO sets before they went OOP and got very expensive. Every so often I still get the urge to just get them anyway. Hopefully this news means that we can have the franchise continue (and in a fashion better than the Crystal Skull) and that we will see some new LEGO sets as a result.

I just accepted I will not own many of them. I found two used sets at good prices. I remember seeing the set with mine carts 50% off at LEGO store. Tons of them.

I did buy the minifigure with him in the leather jacket. At the very least get those just in case they don't make LEGO Indy ever again.

Top Bottom