• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

WHOA! Hulk Lab Smash is the mini figure set of the forever!
Hulk with purple pants!
Falcon!
Classic Comic Thor!
MODOK!
TASKMASTER! TASKMASTER!

When is it coming? I need it!

EDIT: It says March. Not soon enough! I need a Taskmaster figure.

I love the figs on that page. So many good ones. I have no idea who Taskmaster is but he looks neat. Kind of like Nova from that Daily Bugle set...I'm assuming it's a significant character but they definitely look cool.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
mfdis_1.jpg

I put Minifigure series 10 and 11 in a Trumpeter display case #9809. Works quite well.

Could've fit in 33 minifigures, but Medusa has a large tail.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
This is a good start to the 2014 LEGO Seasonal line! It should go well with the other Creator animal sets.

Looks cute, but using those gray pieces as claws implies that something sinister lurks within this innocent bear...

Judgement Day.

R-User!

More reports coming in that the Disney Princess sets have started showing up at LEGO stores.

w4Zxnek.jpg

I saw these sets in my local LEGO Store today, as well as most of the new police sets. Hobbit game was 50% off. Lone Ranger sets were all 20% off clearance stickered. Looks like that line is going away by the time Christmas rolls around.

Hero

You guys make me jelly.

My latest haul were two of these 600 piece buckets that Wal-mart had on Black Friday for 15 bucks a piece. Very excellent piece to price ratio.

You guys make me jelly.

My latest haul were two of these 600 piece buckets that Wal-mart had on Black Friday for 15 bucks a piece. Very excellent piece to price ratio.

Damn good haul if you ask me. Nothing wrong with just a big bucket of parts to use later. I bought this set at a steep discount just to get tons of pieces.
LEGO-Basic-Bricks-Deluxe-3498752-01.jpg

Wound up paying $20 for that set. Not as good a deal as your haul, but still awesome if you need just basic bricks. A MOC contest with just basic brick sets like that would be VERY interesting.

Hero

Damn good haul if you ask me. Nothing wrong with just a big bucket of parts to use later. I bought this set at a steep discount just to get tons of pieces.
LEGO-Basic-Bricks-Deluxe-3498752-01.jpg

Wound up paying $20 for that set. Not as good a deal as your haul, but still awesome if you need just basic bricks. A MOC contest with just basic brick sets like that would be VERY interesting.

Yeah, definitely not complaining about bricks. Great way to get a lot of variety! :D

Agree with your MOC contest

Yeah, definitely not complaining about bricks. Great way to get a lot of variety! :D

Agree with your MOC contest

After the new year. And gotta find a readily available set that is cheap. It has been some time since there was one. I never put together the thematic one I wanted to try either. Just been so bogged down with work and exhaustion most of the year.

Also, where is Ghostmind's top sets of the year list? Everything 2013 is out now, so it should be coming up soon.

ghostmind

After the new year. And gotta find a readily available set that is cheap. It has been some time since there was one. I never put together the thematic one I wanted to try either. Just been so bogged down with work and exhaustion most of the year.

Also, where is Ghostmind's top sets of the year list? Everything 2013 is out now, so it should be coming up soon.

Working on it. Some tough decisions, and a bit of research, is making this year's list take a bit. I should have it out in the next day or two though.

Rootbeer

Banned
So many out of stock LEGO sets on amazon right now. Way worse than in years past. LEGO popularity is clearly reaching a peak this year.

PolyphonicBoy

Neo Member
Has there been any official confirmation / update on when the Parisian Restaurant will be available to VIPs? I read the 13th (this Friday) a while ago, but haven't heard any more since.

Really hoping so, as I'm wanting it for Christmas.

Rootbeer

Banned
Some good deals at TRU right now, lots of 50% off. Also snagged the new batman manbat and nightwing set there today. They put out a fresh box of series 11 figs and 4 of us swarmed it, lol. Never seen the like. But that 2 for $4 deal on them right now sure is nice.

Draxal

Disney Lego is going to be massively popular.

Friends is good and all, but it doesn't resonate nearly as much as the Disney IP does with young girls.

Picked up a couple of the Carriage sets for my coworkers kids.

Jimbro72

What the hell is wrong with the Dolphin Cruiser? It's out of stock on several EU amazons!! :(

Same thing here in the US. Last week my mom was asking my help to find one for my niece and it was sold out everywhere. Amazon, TRU, Target, Walmart, several other online retailers that I checked. I lucked out and caught it when it was back in stock at Amazon over the weekend but it didn't stay in stock for long. Seems to be one of the more popular sets this season.

Rumor time!

75059 Sandcrawler; $299USD; Spring 2014

Nice! Can't wait to see how the size of it compares to the old one. For that price, it should be bigger. The question is, how much bigger.

The Brick Show is reviewing the Desolation of Smaug sets... and spoiling the ending of the book in the progress, as well as much of what happens up until that. I mean... the book is 70 years old, but it's a dick move for casual viewers who haven't read it and are just following the movies. Having the highlight (which might not even be in this movie) spoiled in a random Lego review is rather stupid.

Rootbeer

Banned
the 4 series 11 minifigs I got in the TRU 2 for $4 deal today:

elf, yeti, gingerbread man, scarecrow :3 pretty happy with the selection, though I'd have liked that spaceman.

ruxtpin

Banned
Not a 10000 series set, eh? So what will the spring UCS set be then?

Rumors have it that the sand crawler and the at at coming out next year can be combined with a third - yet to be announced - Star Wars set to build something akin to megazord from power rangers.

I just made that all up.

Ponn

Banned
Rumors have it that the sand crawler and the at at coming out next year can be combined with a third - yet to be announced - Star Wars set to build something akin to megazord from power rangers.

I just made that all up.

And now nothing they announce will meet expectations, thanks a lot.

Now only a transforming Sand Crawler with Jawa fig toes will do.

The Brick Show is reviewing the Desolation of Smaug sets... and spoiling the ending of the book in the progress, as well as much of what happens up until that. I mean... the book is 70 years old, but it's a dick move for casual viewers who haven't read it and are just following the movies. Having the highlight (which might not even be in this movie) spoiled in a random Lego review is rather stupid.

Ha, I was thinking the exact same thing. Think it was the Lake Chase set they were going all crazy with the book for the no raisin at all.

ghostmind

2013 was an exciting, and expensive, time to be a LEGO fan. With over 350 new sets released this year, these are the ones that stood above the rest for me...

mxaSvSG.jpg

5. 79110 Silver Mine Shootout
designed by Adam Grabowski

As a member of LEGO-GAF, and someone who deals with rumors and information on upcoming product, most of the time I will know a great deal about a set and its build experience long before I have it in my hands. However, sometimes unexpectedly a set will come out of nowhere to capture your imagination. Silver Mine Shootout, one of the 6 Lone Ranger sets that debuted in the Spring of 2013, has that rare magic. This set was an enjoyable build experience, from start to finish, as you slowly construct the mountain-side, adding little features and bits of flavor along the way. Whether you liked the movie or not, the Silver Mine Shootout is an excellent Western-themed playset, and well worth your time and money.

IxPWuLA.jpg

4. 70704 Vermin Vaporizer
designed by Fred Shamisen

November 22, 2012 - 1:00am. We had just received our first good look at the upcoming Galaxy Squad sets.

Previously we had heard that LEGO was doing a space-marine theme that would be staged on an ice planet (or perhaps multiple planets, with an ice being the first). The "ice planet" idea turned out to be a false lead from an ad that actually was the teaser for Chima. Then we got a GS comic in the November/December LEGO Club magazine, in which we learned about the 'bugoids' being the adversary of this theme.

November 22, 2012 - 8:00am. I walk into my local TRU to see if they had received any of the new 2013 CITY sets, when I spot a bunch of white LEGO boxes on a back shelf that weren't there a few days ago. I couldn't believe it... here were three of the Galaxy Squad sets we had just learned about hours earlier.

My intro to the Galaxy Squad theme was an exciting one, and thankfully these first sets (as well as later ones) delivered on that hype. A combination of stark white, with a bold primary color, the GS sets showcased unique builds and combinable elements. I've had the hardest time picking between my three favorites in this theme, but the Vermin Vaporizer, with its aggressive styling, integrated mech (with torso-twist!) and mini-lab edged out the Bug Obliterator and the Hive Crawler. This set is one great entry in a stellar theme.

LrVE2OP.jpg

3. 10240 Red Five X-wing Starfighter
designed by Kurt Kristiansen

I, like many of LEGO-GAF, didn't come out of my "dark ages" until recently - 2011 to be specific. As such, I missed out on purchasing a lot of great UCS Star Wars sets. The original UCS X-wing came out back in 2000, and had long been out-of-print. As such, I had resigned myself that I would never own it. I was extremely happy then, when rumor came out about a new UCS X-wing, by the designer of sets like R2-D2 and the Super Star Destroyer. The end result is a great showpiece model, that is a study engaging build, with some nice enhancements over the original (no elastic bands!), and only minimail let-downs (that cockpit sticker). I'm very happy to own a great replica of one of the most iconic science fiction vessels of all time.

7cycc0E.jpg

2. 10237 The Tower of Orthanc
designed by Bjarke Lykke Madsen, Jordan Scott, Hans Henrik

This set and I have a bit of history. This was THE most heavily rumored and requested set on LEGO-GAF from its first mention at the start of January, until its reveal in late April. More of my time was spent scouring the internet for rumors and details for 10237 than for any other set prior, or since. When it finally was revealed, Orthanc didn't disappoint, dwarfing other sets at 2.5 feet in height in monolithic jet-black. The set was a cooperative project between 3 of the main designers on the Middle-Earth themes, with each designer taking on a different section of the tower, creating a diverse, but cohesive model. As somewhat of a surprise, this set also included the first Ent model for the theme. As with the Ewok Village, this set hits the sweet spot between display piece and playset. Now, how about those Minas Tirith rumors, hmmm?

yiq4KN3.jpg

1. 10236 Ewok Village
designed by Marcos Bessa

The Ewok Village had been a set long-rumored, and often requested. With LEGO was giving us such disasters as 7879 Hoth Echo Base in 2011, speculation was rampant on whether TLG could do an Ewok Village justice. Then in early February, we finally got confirmation of the set's existence, but not much more. Rumors were flying again on how many pieces it would be (some reports said over 6,000), how many minifigures would be included (15? 20???), and who was the designer. In somewhat of a surprise, Marcos Bessa - who had been rumored to be the designer for the Orthanc Tower - made his debut on the Star Wars theme with one of its largest playsets ever. Though the piece count was lower than expected, the set did not suffer from it, with Bessa's skills as a designer on full display. The Ewok Village is a wonderful 'show piece' set, with a ton of functionality, and a clever design. While I don't see this set as the true successor to the ultimate playset that is the Death Star, it is a great addition to the OT Star Wars theme, and my #1 set of 2013.

Runners-Up:

Mc2CQVR.jpg

Oi3rEh7.jpg

snb6U0y.jpg

4zgYGnp.jpg

ILLAlwT.jpg

Theme of the Year
pJMUDdN.png

Polybag of the Year
5OebBxY.jpg

30224 Ride-on Mower

Minifigure of the Year
aDRaZwJ.jpg

Chicken Suit Guy, from Series 9 CMF

You can see my Top Sets of 2012 at: http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=45927746&postcount=2978

Agree about Polybag of the Year. Fantastic lil set.

And I am ashamed I forgot about Chicken Man mini fig by this point. It is a fantastic figure. Especially when paired with super hero heads. :)

And Vermin Vaporizer over Bug Obliterator? Color me surprised.

Glad our #1s matched up again though.

ghostmind

Agree about Polybag of the Year. Fantastic lil set.

And I am ashamed I forgot about Chicken Man mini fig by this point. It is a fantastic figure. Especially when paired with super hero heads. :)

And Vermin Vaporizer over Bug Obliterator? Color me surprised.

Glad our #1s matched up again though.

You have no idea how long I deliberated about which Galaxy Squad set to put in my top 5. All other things being equal, probably the Hive Crawler, but the experience and excitement of finding those two other sets as I did added weight to them. In the end, its the Vermin Vaporizer by a nose, because I really like the little mech, and something about that whole "mini-lab in the back" reminded me of Classic Space.

You have no idea how long I deliberated about which Galaxy Squad set to put in my top 5. All other things being equal, probably the Hive Crawler, but the experience and excitement of finding those two other sets as I did added weight to them. In the end, its the Vermin Vaporizer by a nose, because I really like the little mech, and something about that whole "mini-lab in the back" reminded me of Classic Space.
I agree that expectations and the buying experience played in my rankings this year and last. Last year I only wanted Quinjet for parts and could care less about it as a set. But then I was pleasantly surprised at how much I loved building it.
Same with Hive Crawler this year. I had very low expectations for it, but obviously loved it. The sheer childlike glee I had when the legs moved the first time sealed it in my faves for this year.

Then there are sets that you are super hyped for, yet somehow still surpass expectations. Ewok Village was that set for me.

And I agree about Vermin Vaporizer. The mech part and lab were fantastic.

Edit: and I blame...err...thank you for turning me onto Silver Mine.

Damn yo, haven't stepped foot into a TRU in a years, but I was in there today with my GF looking for stuff for a toy drive they are doing and dangggggggggggg the Lego's are expensive. My girlfriend has pointed out the little architecture sets a few times, she's really into those designs, so I'm looking to pick her up one. Is there any place that has good deals on them?

Damn yo, haven't stepped foot into a TRU in a years, but I was in there today with my GF looking for stuff for a toy drive they are doing and dangggggggggggg the Lego's are expensive. My girlfriend has pointed out the little architecture sets a few times, she's really into those designs, so I'm looking to pick her up one. Is there any place that has good deals on them?

Whenever there is a Barnes and Noble coupon, use it and snag them from there. They usually have the entire in print line available, and at MSRP.

Which designs was she interested in?

got Goblin King finally off ebay so I can rest easy now :) Wasnt as cheap as most got it at but still way under the MSRP.

I'll be back in my hometown in the next week or so and they have a Lego store. I'll finally be able to PAB it up since I've never done it. Besides stacking what are some good tips? Mostly looking to get alot of greens and browns.

Top Bottom