• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

Just drove 70 miles to Natick Mall. Get here to find out they don't open until noon today. Now to waste 90 minutes waiting for the store to open. Whoops.

That's what it looks like - I REALLY hope that they keep the minifig designs in line with the movies sets, and not go the route they did with Clone Wars. No more horrid CW faces, please!

Seems like more realistic style for Rebels but who knows, some aspects are exaggerated on the designs, not sure how that would translate to minifigs. So far it doesn't look like there will be giant eyes.

Ponn

Banned
That new Eiffel tower set looks neat and I've been wanting to try an architecture set. Mars rover or Eiffel tower?

Ryuuroden

w00t, got my Parisian Restaurant and cleared out some space to build it! I am so excited and will update on it as I go perhaps.

Still waiting for store here to open. Mad I didn't check the mall hours before driving. I coulda slept in dammit.

Oh, well. Time to be the one creepy adult standing outside the store and waiting.

Ryuuroden

Update on Restaurant build 1:

This is awesome, right near the beginning of the build there is already an awesome "Easter Egg" that's only visible for a few stages of the build...bloody nice touch Jamie!

Still waiting for store here to open. Mad I didn't check the mall hours before driving. I coulda slept in dammit.

Oh, well. Time to be the one creepy adult standing outside the store and waiting.

Just don't be that guy that hog up the entire counter feeling the bags while some poor little kid behind waiting just to grab one or two. That was quite embarrassing to see at LEGO store.

On another note, I don't feel like driving back to LEGO store today so I just place my order on line and I just noticed so many of the DC LEGO are now Sold Out. (the Batman stuff). I haven't pick up Bat-Wing.

Just don't be that guy that hog up the entire counter feeling the bags while some poor little kid behind waiting just to grab one or two. That was quite embarrassing to see at LEGO store.

On another note, I don't feel like driving back to LEGO store today so I just place my order on line and I just noticed so many of the DC LEGO are now Sold Out. (the Batman stuff). I haven't pick up Bat-Wing.
I came for Parisian restaurant and to fill the holiday PAB box. I snagged the set as I walked by, then spent twenty minutes at PAB stuffing the box and moving out of everyone's way while doing it. Being at the PAB wall also have the massive line to pay or return stuff to disappear.

Now the long drive home. Curious as to my piece count with the PAB box, because this thing is SOLID.

Ryuuroden

Finished the first phase of the build. The first floor gets bag sets numbered 1 and numbered 2 so I am counting it as 2 phases. Based on that I still have half the first floor to finish. So far I am very impressed with the colors and details of the interior. There are some great uses combining some of the new Lego pieces with older ones for new ways to do things. I can already see the way I make furniture and lighting expanding greatly. I love the various ways we can use the round 2x2 tile with the hole in it. Two uses have already shown up in phase 1. So far no mind blowing SNOT techniques have shown up but I am expecting them to appear in the next 3 phases. That's all for now, gonna take a break and get something to eat.

Rootbeer

Banned
Well, no restaurant for me today. putting off my LEGO trip till tomorrow. I hope they still have some, no idea what the demand for stuff like that is.

Also really hoping I can find Steam Roller while I"m there. Did anyone see it today while on their LEGO Store outings?

New Cantina set looks a bit underwhelming, and we get another Luke's Speeder. I was hoping for full bar with Wuher.

sK3Ff6Il.jpg

My wife think feeling the bags is cheating. I told her I am just increase my odd of success. The Nacho guy was hard to get for some reason, I went through two boxes (it has been picked through) before finding him. I was surprise Abe's top hat and beard is one piece.

Ponn

Banned
Or questions in the LEGO thread never end well.

both of course
Of course. I think im going to have to hold off on some LEGO movie sets till later. I have this feeling they are going to be well stocked due to perceived demand but might not sell through and get a drop in price.

I need my Lego kitty and mouse though.

iuuk

6514KKu.jpg

Is this picture legit? I don't get a single thing that's going on there. 2 squidworth placeholders, some cgi sandtrooper mount (forgot the name...) and does this hint at a landspeeder being in the set, or that there's a new landspeeder on it's way?

Norfair

Finished the first phase of the build. The first floor gets bag sets numbered 1 and numbered 2 so I am counting it as 2 phases. Based on that I still have half the first floor to finish. So far I am very impressed with the colors and details of the interior. There are some great uses combining some of the new Lego pieces with older ones for new ways to do things. I can already see the way I make furniture and lighting expanding greatly. I love the various ways we can use the round 2x2 tile with the hole in it. Two uses have already shown up in phase 1. So far no mind blowing SNOT techniques have shown up but I am expecting them to appear in the next 3 phases. That's all for now, gonna take a break and get something to eat.

I picked it up first thing this morning and have put the first two steps together. So far it's been a pretty fun build and sets the bar high for any following sets.

Some of my favorite parts so far:

The rolling pin. For some reason I find this awesome!
Best new fridge, with a milk carton.
The wood and tile floor is great (if a bit tedious to put together and get lined up.
I loved the tiling in the outside deck.

I can't wait to see what the rest looks like.

Bag 1 done of Parisian Restaurant. Best hidden touch that never came across in pics: the sidewalk under the tables outside. And once the tables are on it, you can't see it, but you know it is there. Just awesome.

How strange. Mirkwood Elf Army is sold out almost everywhere. Was it really produced in such low numbers or have the MOC guys bought millions of them to build their armies?

neonglow

AT-AT and ISD prelims from the Cantina source:

http://youtu.be/nPnYedulMP0

I'm so getting the AT-AT and ISD since I missed out on them the first time. I'll wait on final images of Cantina before I decide on getting it.

I ended up making an order today for the Mars Rover & The Flying Flusher to check out if these 2 in 1 sets are as great as they seem. I'm really liking the price points on the these $30 LEGO Movie sets.

Ryuuroden

Bag 2 done so the first floor is done and it has taken the #1 position for modular just based on the first floor. The façade around the windows on the first floor is fantastic and I love how the curtains around the windows were done. That new side clip piece adds so much to what we can do, I really want a bunch of them. The set is great for all the foods it provides for the dumpster in back alone :p The detail in the interior is great, its full of objects but is not busy. Another favorite part is how the lattice above the patio is done, it looks really good.

I'll say it now even though I am not finished building it yet that this set is definitely the one to recommend to get someone into modular's. For me it surpasses the Pet Shop which had surpassed the Green Grocer before that.

neonglow

Bag 2 done so the first floor is done and it has taken the #1 position for modular just based on the first floor. The façade around the windows on the first floor is fantastic and I love how the curtains around the windows were done. That new side clip piece adds so much to what we can do, I really want a bunch of them. The set is great for all the foods it provides for the dumpster in back alone :p The detail in the interior is great, its full of objects but is not busy. Another favorite part is how the lattice above the patio is done, it looks really good.

I'll say it now even though I am not finished building it yet that this set is definitely the one to recommend to get someone into modular's. For me it surpasses the Pet Shop which had surpassed the Green Grocer before that.

If you have all the modulars still built, can you take a pic of all of them together once finished?

Just finished the first floor myself. AWESOME so far. Definitely a return to form for the series. Taking a break for food and maybe go out for a bit before finishing the rest of it tonight.

If you have all the modulars still built, can you take a pic of all of them together once finished?

I will try. I have Fire Brigade onwards, so missing Green Grocer, Market Street, and Cafe Corner.
I just need to find somewhere long enough to actually line them up in a row. Otherwise I can take a picture of my bookcase that has them all in it.

Ryuuroden

Yeah, that's something I have been planning on doing at some point but probably not until after I move. Right now they are all in a spot in a city design in the corner of the attic where I put all my MOC modulars and official modulars. Really tight space that's hard to get pictures in and bad lighting. I want to share my city layout sometime but not until I can take nice pictures which I will do when I have a dedicated room for them. Plus most of my official modulars have been heavily modified with my own improvements and additions so they only resemble the official sets so it might not be the view your looking for.

leng jai

Someone post a picture of their Parisian Restaurant while lego.com is still processing my order (so slowwww).

I doubt think I'll ever be able to put all my modulars in a row together, not in a permanent spot anyway. That would require a long ass table or shelf.

We got the new LEGO catalog in the mail yesterday and my wife took one look at the Parisian Restaurant and decided we had to have it. She's not a fan of huge sets because we don't have a lot of room for LEGO, but I think she's in love with it. LOL

We only did the first bag so far because our daughter woke up from her nap, but she wants to plow through the rest of it as soon as Olivia goes to bed tonight.

My first modular... :'D

We got the new LEGO catalog in the mail yesterday and my wife took one look at the Parisian Restaurant and decided we had to have it. She's not a fan of huge sets because we don't have a lot of room for LEGO, but I think she's in love with it. LOL

We only did the first bag so far because our daughter woke up from her nap, but she wants to plow through the rest of it as soon as Olivia goes to bed tonight.

Congrats on the first modular. Just a warning: you are all in now. Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny.

Ryuuroden

Wow congrats and yeah it won't be your last. :D

And I am on the final floor now. 2nd floor pretty much impressed me just as much as floor one for different reasons. There are just so many new techniques in this set....so AWESOME. Those new parts are game changers when it comes to façade building for modulars as well as for furniture.

Norfair

Second floor of the restaurant finished. The second floor is a little less spectacular but still pretty neat. This modular is starting to remind me of the little brother of the fire house.

ghostmind

And you are starting with one of the best of the lot - congrats.

Does your daughter have the LEGO Friends house that is owned by her namesake?

Top Bottom