• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

I have teh option to purchase the Lego Death Star. Is it worth the 399.00 price tag? My wife got me the R2D2 last year, and I had a blast putting it together. I really enjoy sets that have tons of legos, so it can keep me busy for a while. Any ideas? Does the Death Star show well for display?
I don't call it the Best Star for no reason. Best Star Wars set ever!

ghostmind

I have teh option to purchase the Lego Death Star. Is it worth the 399.00 price tag? My wife got me the R2D2 last year, and I had a blast putting it together. I really enjoy sets that have tons of legos, so it can keep me busy for a while. Any ideas? Does the Death Star show well for display?

Death Star is the ultimate Star Wars set, however it is a play set and not so much a display piece in its own right. The strength of the Best Star comes in its size, and its vignettes, which can be used to showcase your Star Wars, or other themes, mini figures.

Not to say it isn't impressive in its own right - the opposite in fact - but it is not a "model" in the sense that other UCS sets are.

Death Star is the ultimate Star Wars set, however it is a play set and not so much a display piece in its own right. The strength of the Best Star comes in its size, and its vignettes, which can be used to showcase your Star Wars, or other themes, mini figures.

Not to say it isn't impressive in its own right - the opposite in fact - but it is not a "model" in the sense that other UCS sets are.
But it displays wonderfully. Definitely the most attention getting thing to guests.

Fowler

Yes, yes, yes, yes, a thousand times yes. There's a reason it's called the Best Star around here :)

rallaren

Just built 6898 Ice-Sat V and I'd say it still holds up very well. I never had anything from the Ice Planet 2002 line as a kid hence why I purchased it used from a seller on bricklink. Feels almost like a steal to get a set like this for the prices they go for on the net. Yeah the pieces were a bit greasy and dirty but it's fixed pretty easy with hot water.

fvQgwo6.jpg

I also love the illustrations for these early 90s sets. They look sort of dreamy.

GJI5wlq.jpg

EGFjnXm.jpg

Inbetween Bug Obliterator and Galactic Titan.

CQo0hg1.jpg

Ice Planet 2002 is my most favorite theme of all time, glad to see a picture of one of those sets...one of the few Ice Planet sets I don't have...I should fix that.

ruxtpin

Banned
Those pics make me want to order the big Ice Planet ship. I always wished I had the money for that one when I was little.

I was always a big fan of the trans-dark green Space Police. I got the Galactic Mediator one Xmas. Fantastic spaceship.

Those pics make me want to order the big Ice Planet ship. I always wished I had the money for that one when I was little.

I was always a big fan of the trans-dark green Space Police. I got the Galactic Mediator one Xmas. Fantastic spaceship.

The big Ice Planet ship is a very fun build. I have the set and very much enjoy it.

Ice Planet 2002 is my most favorite theme of all time, glad to see a picture of one of those sets...one of the few Ice Planet sets I don't have...I should fix that.

My favorite line was Space Police Series I (from 1989-1991). I loved the entire line even though I was in my mid-teens. I only bought 1 set though, the Galactic peacekeeper.

jPi2VSR.jpg

frogg609

My favorite line was Space Police Series I (from 1989-1991). I loved the entire line even though I was in my mid-teens. I only bought 1 set though, the Galactic peacekeeper.

jPi2VSR.jpg

I had this as well. Such a great ship. I've looked into rebuying it, but the ones I've found are either really pricey, or the translucent red piece is scratched really bad.

Rootbeer

Banned
LEGO store trip was a lot of fun. Parisian Restaurant is mine. As are several movie figs, sets, a $15 PAB container, valentines set, and some discount items. No eagle but I'm not fretting. Got a physical VIP card as well. Looking forward to going again already. OMW home now for some hardcore LEGO building this weekend.

Only disappointment is they are sold out of the Riddler Chase set, will have to find elsewhere

LEGO store trip was a lot of fun. Parisian Restaurant is mine. As are several movie figs, sets, a $15 PAB container, valentines set, and some discount items. No eagle but I'm not fretting. Got a physical VIP card as well. Looking forward to going again already. OMW home now for some hardcore LEGO building this weekend.

Only disappointment is they are sold out of the Riddler Chase set, will have to find elsewhere
Actually, two small PAB cups gets you more for the money than one large one. More volume. Only thing is that if you get huge pieces you need the big cups.

Norfair

Speaking of space set reminiscing I got this book for Christmas:

It's pretty cool. I was surprised that it was actually more then just early eighties classic space but had builds from all the different space lines. It also has some cheesy story line that ties them all together but mostly I got it for the pictures.

Rootbeer

Banned
Actually, two small PAB cups gets you more for the money than one large one. More volume. Only thing is that if you get huge pieces you need the big cups.

Well i've done some research on that and i've actually found varying reports on which gets you more volume. i wonder if it's that the cups are different in different regions. and I don't mean the non-LEGO store cups that some stores have for bricks.

Anyway, the volume difference is very small right? I kinda like the big containers, useful for storage! And despite me spending over an hour in the LEGO store I did not feel like trying any 'stacking' (which i've also researched), time consuming and it was quite busy in there.

The brick wall had a nice variety of pieces and colors. They kept refilling the wall as I was digging around, but despite this there were still many empty (or very nearly so) spots in the wall.

Lots of friendly people in there all eager to talk to strangers about LEGO. I was feeling up the minifig packs and people were asking me to help them find certain characters, I did my best to help. The kids in there seemed really informed on the LEGO movie too, several Emmet fans going on about him.

So as you might know I finally moved and my so and I are in the process of sorting everything out, filling shelves et al.
In the course of which I had to often hear 'what are we going to do with all your LEGO dear?'
To which I always replied it's not that much, it looks worse in all those boxes than it is. Turns out I was wrong.
Behold the backlog of doom.

And thats just the unopened sets.... o_O

LEGO GAF
Anonymous
, I think I have a serious problem.

So as you might know I finally moved and my so and I are in the process of sorting everything out, filling shelves et al.
In the course of which I had to often hear 'what are we going to do with all your LEGO dear?'
To which I always replied it's not that much, it looks worse in all those boxes than it is. Turns out I was wrong.
Behold the backlog of doom.

And thats just the unopened sets.... o_O

LEGO GAF
Anonymous
, I think I have a serious problem.

You are in the wrong thread if you are trying to control your addiction. We all acknowledge we are addicts here. That's the first and final step.

Are we comparing backlogs? Shall I whip mine out? :)

It does look worse in the boxes in terms of taking up space. You can easily compress that to 1/2 the size. It does quite heavy though as you pack them more densely.

My wife has been very tolerant of my obsession, but I'm definitely on the borderline of pushing her over. :(

I respect but can't imagine the idea of Lego backlog. I don't see myself going there since I always open sets before I order new ones (or before other sets come in)

Holy moly! I called it backlog when I had like six sets unopened.

What was in the big lego box down to the right? Several of those sets?

thats other previously built broken down sets in sorter by type not colour. ;)

I respect but can't imagine the idea of Lego backlog. I don't see myself going there since I always open sets before I order new ones (or before other sets come in)

I had a year of no own flat or room to build, but disposable income... :p

Rootbeer

Banned
I admire your backlog FliXFantatier. You have some sets I'd love to own, like from the Dino theme not to mention a Death Star (which I'll probably never buy despite thinking it is quite cool). But mine's bigger. That's not a brag, it's a badge of shame. To even prove that min eis bigger would be a task unto itself, so much of it is in boxes right now. Let's just say I have a stack that goes 2/3 to the ceiling from the floor. Again, will be moving later this year and I'll have a lot more room. Backlog is due to taking advantage of sales, and happy I did, since a lot of the sets are now unavailable.

Assuming I dig the Parisian Restaurant, what would you guys recommend as a next building? Taking 'retiring soon(ish)' out of the equasion. I want recommendations based solely on quality!

These are the main reasons I have a large backlog.
- Great sale/clearance price so buy now, build later.
- Don't want to pay aftermarket prices.
- Finding time to build them.

EDIT: The crazy pre-xmas sales on Amazon, Target, Walmart and even TRU did not help either.

Jimbro72

These are the main reasons I have a large backlog.
- Great sale/clearance price so buy now, build later.
- Don't want to pay aftermarket prices.
- Finding time to build them.

EDIT: The crazy pre-xmas sales on Amazon, Target, Walmart and even TRU did not help either.

You just described the very reasons my backlog has become so large, too. Also display space for me. I need to work on tearing down and putting away even more old sets to make room for all the new.

Finding the time to complete sets is probably the toughest part. Sets are so much more complicated to build now, when I was a kid, even the large sets were still easy to put together but with the builds so much more detailed, it can take even longer to do.

On the note of repackaged things in lego boxes, I just walked into a store and found a lone ranger set gutted with a big piece of plastic thrown in, and the retaped shut.

The Boy Scout in me really cannot stand this form of selfishness >_<

Blacktron and Space Police were my favorite things as a kid. I used to rebuild sets as a kid until I memorized them. I forgot all of it, except for those jail cells. That is burned into my brain.

I was a year late for those jail cells but I always wanted to build them growing up. I still love the idea of a portable prison pod.

ghostmind

I've spent the better part of a day assembling tables & shelving, and pulling all my sets out of that mass of garbage bags that I had posted a couple months ago. Though a lot of it is still in zip-locs (divided by set) in plastic tubs (with boxes folded flat elsewhere), I've got all the sets still in boxes sorted by theme, and ready to be shelved (I need more shelving).

This is my CITY pile:

joFBlOr.jpg

It is not the largest.

Jimbro72

I've spent the better part of a day assembling tables & shelving, and pulling all my sets out of that mass of garbage bags that I had posted a couple months ago. Though a lot of it is still in zip-locs (divided by set) in plastic tubs (with boxes folded flat elsewhere), I've got all the sets still in boxes sorted by theme, and ready to be shelved (I need more shelving).

This is my CITY pile:

joFBlOr.jpg

It is not the largest.

Very nice! Are those all unopened sets there from your backlog pile?

ghostmind

Very nice! Are those all unopened sets there from your backlog pile?

Yeah, unfortunately. Limited space, until I could get this LEGO basement thing going, meant that I could only keep 20 or so sets assembled at a time. Not counting polybags, I've got about 150 that were opened, built, taken down and re-boxed, and around 200 that are still in boxes not opened, and 50 or so that I unboxed and transferred to zip-locs (to save space at one point) that I've never built either.

On the upside, I have a lot of fun building ahead of me.

Going to go get some food, and then get back at it. I'll take a picture of my Star Wars pile (which is the largest) once I have it in the shelving.

Jimbro72

Wow. Very impressive. And here I thought my backlog was huge. Mine is maybe about half yours, if yours is sitting at 200 sets. I should count them but I'm guessing its around 100ish give or take a dozen or so. I should snap some pics of mine later tonight. Of course, my backlog is now one set lighter as I started the Sailbarge a couple nights ago.

It's been awhile since the last contest.

Perhaps we can just have a fun one without any prizes. Instead of using a set, your whole collection can be used. The catch is you only use 11 pieces or some set number.

This requires a lot of creativity. Here's some examples of what can be made with 11 pieces from this flickr group: http://www.flickr.com/groups/e11even/pool/

Icons by Kaptain Kobold, on Flickr

Pixar e11even by Sylvarsty, on Flickr

NCS Space Transport by Bricksky, on Flickr

ROCK'EM SOCK'EM Round 11 by Dodge..., on Flickr

Rock Paper Scissors by cmaddison, on Flickr

Vyer

I helped my son put together a few new Ninjago sets he got for Christmas. Gotta say, the ship in one of them looks pretty cool.

The section in the center slides forward to swing the wings back.

Also another mini mech that's cool like that Fire mech from an earlier set.

I helped my son put together a few new Ninjago sets he got for Christmas. Gotta say, the ship in one of them looks pretty cool.

The section in the center slides forward to swing the wings back.

Also another mini mech that's cool like that Fire mech from an earlier set.

Yes. This wave is very good IMO. I like the jet a lot. The older Jay's Storm Fighter was a surprise to me. I thought it was cool looking, but the build was fun too.

What mysteries lie within the PAB box?

Now let's clear this rubbish off the top.

I told you all yesterday that I packed this thing solid.

Contents disassembled.

1x1x5 white posts- 24
1x10 white brick- 16
1x8 white brick- 73
2x2 white jumper- 32
1x2 trans blue tile- 227
1x1 olive green cheese slope- 161

Not bad for a free box. :)

ruxtpin

Banned
You didn't visit a Georgia Lego store did you Phon? Those are the exact same pieces at my local store. I snagged a bunch of white beams and slopes last week.

Top Bottom