• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

And you are starting with one of the best of the lot - congrats.

Does your daughter have the LEGO Friends house that is owned by her namesake?

My eldest daughter (same name) got sucked into LEGO for that very reason. In her case it was the laboratory set. Since then she's been sure to stock up on all of sweet gear that her namesake has gotten.

Good thing we didn't name her Stephanie.
Actually, good thing we didn't name her "City Fire..." or "City Police..." for that matter

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Wow, I missed out on so much amazing stuff yesterday and today. 2014 looks like it will be amazing. Planning on getting the restaurant saturday. Road trip to DC.

ghostmind

Bunch of new polys got revealed today (also including the ones revealed over the last week):

30112 Flower Stand (Friends)
30113 Stephanie's Bakery Stand (Friends) - part of current LEGO Europe/AUS promo
30114 Andrea's Beach Lounge (Friends)
30187 Fast Car (Creator)
30188 Cute Kitten (Creator)
30189 Transport Plane (Creator)
30226 Police Helicopter (CITY)
30227 Police Chase (CITY)
30228 Police ATV (CITY) - January LEGO promo
30229 Repair Lift (CITY)
30244 Anakin's Jedi Interceptor (Star Wars)
30246 Imperial Shuttle (Star Wars)
30247 ARC-170 Starfighter (Star Wars)
30262 Gorzan's Walker (Chima)
30263 Spider Crawler (Chima)
30280 The Piece of Resistance (LEGO Movie) - February LEGO promo
30281 Micro Manager Battle (LEGO Movie)
30282 Super Secret Police Enforcer (LEGO Movie)
30300 The Batman Tumbler (Superheroes)
30301 Batwing (Superheroes)

xxxxx TC-4 (Star Wars)

ghostmind

February calendar:

fvtAobB.jpg

Ryuuroden

Just finished building the Parisian Restaurant. I really got to say it is my favorite of all the modular. It was a fun build from top to bottom and I would put it down on the must buy list for 2014. I have no doubts it will be in my top 5 at the end of the year and that's even with knowing some of what is to come like benny's spaceship, the sea cow, and sandcrawler.

So, what is the early access VIP set on February 17th?

MetalBeard's Sea Cow?
Sandcrawler?

Cmon, Sea Cow! Perfect timing for it as well. Less than two weeks after the movie opens, so interest should be high. Also, images of the box have leaked, so it exists somewhere. Where the Sandcrawler is nothing but rumors and hearsay at the moment.

Just finished building the Parisian Restaurant. I really got to say it is my favorite of all the modular. It was a fun build from top to bottom and I would put it down on the must buy list for 2014. I have no doubts it will be in my top 5 at the end of the year and that's even with knowing some of what is to come like benny's spaceship, the sea cow, and sandcrawler.

About to continue the second floor now. Had to take a break to watch Sherlock. I waited two years for it to return, I was not going to wait any longer than necessary.

ghostmind

Star Wars (edited):

75048 Phantom; xxx pcs; $25
75049 Snowspeeder; 278 pcs; $40
75050 B-Wing; 448 pcs; $60
75051 Jedi Hunter Frontier; 490 pcs; $70
75052 Mos Eisley Cantina; 615 pcs; $80
75053 The Ghost; xxx pcs; $100
75054 AT-AT; 1,138 pcs; $120
75055 Imperial Star Destroyer; xxx pcs; $150

Some further info/clarification:

75048 could be based on the Old Republic, as there is a ship matching that name there.

75051 has Jek-14 in it, so it may be another Yoda Chronicles thing, unless Jek is in the new Rebels cartoon.

75053 is based on the Rebels cartoon, as The Ghost is a major ship on that show, and the prelims show a glimpse of the model, which matches the concept art we have from the show.

I guess Mixels are going to continue to be a thing - here's the prelim for "Series 3":

http://imgur.com/7CXjhr2

Son of a...! Dangit LEGO! I love the mixels as parts packs and having them in different colors like that I will be getting multiples of all of them.

Due to price and color choosing, Mixels seem to be a series I will buy alot of.

Me too. It will be interesting to see if this takes off with kids as they are good impulse buys and inexpensive gifts. Definitely AFOLs and resellers will be snapping those Mixels up.

75048 could be based on the Old Republic, as there is a ship matching that name there.

75051 has Jek-14 in it, so it may be another Yoda Chronicles thing, unless Jek is in the new Rebels cartoon.

75053 is based on the Rebels cartoon, as The Ghost is a major ship on that show, and the prelims show a glimpse of the model, which matches the concept art we have from the show.

Definitely Yoda Chronicles if that preliminary picture above of the Cantina is right. Says Chronicles.

Just finished off Parisian Restaurant.

WOW. Seriously. I need time to stew on it, but this might be favorite modular yet. I am still missing Cafe Corner and the legendary Green Grocer, but Parisian Restaurant is just nuts. Similar to all that came before, but yet completely different with the oddly shaped second floor and balcony. The footprint of the building is small compared to others, yet somehow crams in so much detail and character.

The sidewalk, which is usually the one part of the modulars that is similar enough to be old hat by now, is so different that you are always on your toes.

It basically feels like Pet Shop but stretched to one big plate instead of two small ones.

You can definitely tell it is Jamie back at the helm after Astrid driving the last two. The interior details form slowly and more organically instead of being just tossed in. Also, the use of more small pieces to build the walls instead of a lot of longer bricks is just like the other Jamie modulars. Astrid is a great designer, as evident by the Friends line and the wonderful Winter Village sets, but the technique of Town Hall and Palace Cinema feels more crude compared to the way things come together in this and older sets like Pet Shop and Fire Brigade.

One thing I did find funny as I was building it is that many details in the first and second floor were eerily similar in technique and idea to things I was doing in my abandoned Pie Shop MOC late last summer. The rolling pin is identical, and the kitchen area is damn close. Then on the second floor there is a stowaway bed in the wall, just like I was working on. Of course, the bed was pulled off much better due to better parts, but it is still damn eerie that I was subconsciously making something very similar months before this was announced.

In the end, the bar for sets in 2014 has been raised VERY high. Very, very high. I will post pics soon.

ghostmind

Cmon, Sea Cow! Perfect timing for it as well. Less than two weeks after the movie opens, so interest should be high. Also, images of the box have leaked, so it exists somewhere. Where the Sandcrawler is nothing but rumors and hearsay at the moment.

I would be ok with the Sea Cow being the Feb. VIP release, and then the Sandcrawler releasing May the 4th. It would make more sense that way.

rataven

Oh wow, somehow I completely forgot Parisian Restaurant was out today. And it's better than Green Grocer?! That's awesome to hear. GG is one of my favs.

I moved about two months back so have been steadily rebuilding all of my modulars. And for some inexplicable reason I like to build them in order of release, so it'll be awhile before I get to PR, but it's great to hear it'll be an exciting set to cap off the building spree.

Ignore the crap lighting. By this point I think you all should be used to the crummy lighting in my apartment at night.

The completed set. Interesting lil part of the build: the green parts next to the windows on the second floor are achieved through SNOT on the side of the windows. Definitely different from any other modular.

Close up of the outside seating area. I didn't take a pic of the pavement underneath the tables, but the tiles actually spell Chez before the tables and chairs are put on top of them. Awesome little touch.

Zee menu, and the first part of the stairs to patio seating and the upstairs apartment.

I love how simple these planters are. Just 2x2 grooved bricks with some green blade pieces wedged in. Simple and super effective.

Side view of the building and patio seating. The detailing on the chimney is great as it goes along. The new flower pot pieces are so great. One thing I learned on this set, and I feel dumb for never noticing it before, is that those 1x1 flower studs actually have a hole to thread them onto flower stem pieces. I always used those breakaway flat flower parts, but this opens up a lot of opportunities now that I know this.

The rear of the building. Best rear detailing of any modular I have built. I know Green Grocer has a more detailed rear that most as well, but I have not built it for reference.
Notice the small balcony under the stairs for the second floor apartment.

Dumpster filled with hot dogs, bones, and berries. The trash can next to it is filled with cheese slopes. Must be why the rat is hanging out. This whole set just makes me think of it as an unofficial Ratatouille set.

Another interesting aspect is that the second floor and the patio seating are actually two different parts to take off.

Layout of the restaurant. Painting on the wall is a nice touch.

The happy couple during a marriage proposal. The curtains are brick built and cool. The new 2x2 round tiles with center hole are a game changing piece though. Allows for very cool SNOT work, and is used quite a few times through the set. Same with the new small flower pot pieces. I want a lot more of these parts for MOCs.

The kitchen. The plates are actually attached upside down. They connect to the hole in the middle of the new 2x2 round tile with center hole. Like I said, this piece gets used a lot in this set.
Also makes me feel good that the rolling pin I made for my Pie Shop MOC last summer was made the exact same way as they pulled off here.

The fridge is very cool. A lot more stable and better than the one in the second floor of Fire Brigade.

The wine cabinet. Half of this is attached to the floor, the other half is SNOT attached to the wall. Very cool how it comes together.

Interior of second floor. Rotating chair in front of glass top table and fireplace. A lamp is in the corner, and once again uses the new flower pot piece to great effect.

Hidden bed. Very, very similar to what I tried in the second floor of my Pie Shop MOC, but this is much better because they actually had the 2x2 square inverted tiles.

Kitchen area of the apartment. Once again, this set makes me think of Ratatouille.

Close up detail of the third floor. These parts were very repetitive to make, but look oh so awesome when done.

Backside of the third floor. The way the windows are attached to the slope is so simple but so great and stable.

The back of the roof swings down to reveal an art studio on the third floor. Comes complete with two canvases, brushes, and easel.

Nice furnace on the top floor.

All the modulars I have together. I do not have a shelf long enough to get them all lined up. I also need a new home for the VW Camper.

Just a fantastic set, and the best modular since Pet Shop. Right now, my gut is going with it as best modular I have built, but that might be the glow from just finishing it. Of course, I didn't have this glow after Town Hall or Pet Shop.

But go buy this set, ASAP. A long, epic build, and absolutely gorgeous when completed.

ghostmind

Brick built Groot with sound brick! I am trying to will it into reality.

What would be really great would be if LEGO made a recordable sound brick. Put a little bit of flash memory and a tiny wireless NIC (or bluetooth, or even a wired microUSB port) on a brick and let us record our own sound clips.

rataven

Great pics! It's really something to see how far the modulars have come since Cafe Corner, not just with the inside details, but on the sides and backs of the buildings as well. They really are exciting builds, front to back, top to bottom.

When I was waiting for the store to open today and the crowd of children and parents grew, I saw a boy standing with his mother about to return Grand Emporium. I hope he was returning it because he already had it, because a set that huge at that age (he must have been 10 or 11) would have been sublime. I almost struck up a conversation with him and his mother to talk them into keeping it.
Of course, I don't know what he bought with exchanging it. Perhaps he grabbed Haunted House or Ewok Village instead. Which would have been an upgrade.

On another note, after I rang out, the clerk asked me since I collect Star Wars stuff if I would buy a Medical Frigate set if they made a huge one. I said "HELL YES!" He then turned to the manager to tell him, "See? People want that ship. And you didn't believe me."

ghostmind

Remember than in prelim pics, the minifigs shown can (and usually will) look completely different than what they show. The retailer catalogs are just for retailers to get an early idea of upcoming product, and plan their future orders accordingly. The minifigs in these pics are usually a Frankenstein of existing parts, as the moulds and printing for these new minifigs has not been completed yet.

saw this on Tumblr... sucks to be the kid

tumblr_my8k0epCOH1rscr0so1_500.jpg

Blame that on shifty adult collectors and speculators, they always ruin the hobby once there are money to be make. I am sure they bought it replaced the content with .99 cents pasta and seal the box back up.

I just finish up Rescue Reinforcement set and now I am excited to get the rest.

leng jai

The detail in the back end is really impressive but I guess the downside is that you won't really be able to see it with the way most people will have it displayed.

Rootbeer

Banned
Wow i'm scared now, I need to open up all the LEGO sets in my backlog I got from amazon warehouse and make sure they actually have bricks inside!

Do we know where the person who took that pic got the set?

Saw they clarified that the Jedi Hunter ship is not from Rebels, but the 2nd ship release from that Yoda Chronicles special. The other two ships listed are from Rebels though.

Rootbeer

Banned
On the plus side, lunch. When I had that happen to me they just stole the pieces and stuffed the box with puzzle pieces.

When this happened to you, where did you get the faulty set from? Some of the sets I have unopened were bought a year or more ago (yes, it's embarassing!), I'm probably SOL if i got targeted.

Norfair

When this happened to you, where did you get the faulty set from? Some of the sets I have unopened were bought a year or more ago (yes, it's embarassing!), I'm probably SOL if i got targeted.

I got it from Target. I just showed them what was in the box and they gave me my money back. I assume somebody bought it, stole the minifigs and more valuable parts and shoved a bunch of crap in it then returned it to the store. Now I check the boxes a bit more closely to make sure they are factory sealed.

Rootbeer

Banned
Oh alright. Fucking people man... bleh.

On that topic, was watching some YT vids, this guy posted a vid bragging about how he bought the last 40 bags of those mini eagle polys that were discounted at his LEGO store for $0.50 each. The gluttony of some people, I swear. Really fantastic deal but could you leave some for someone else? I haven't even seen that poly anywhere, let alone on sale. I gotta stay off youtube, see vids like that all the time. Yeah, call me bitter. But every store I go to I barely find any polys ever unless it's Target. Now I know why.

Anyway, just wanted to pop in that I've seen reports of some Walmarts either mispricing some of the new LEGO movie sets or outright discounting them from the start. They only mentioned the $30 sets being discounted. Price was $15 and change. YMMV

ruxtpin

Banned
Do we have any idea when the next double points promotion will probably roll around? Trying to decide if I should go ahead and use my VIP credits and get the Cinema and Parisian Restaurant now, or wait until the next 2x period rolls around.

Draxal

75048 is porbably based on Rebels(most likeley based on this http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/TIE_Phantom ). While the Old Republic does have a ship by that name, it's a corvette sized ship (equivalent to the Fury and Jedi Defender) so it would be a much larger pricepoint than $25.

I really think the TOR line is dead which makes me really sad as I loved the art direction in the game.

Oh alright. Fucking people man... bleh.

On that topic, was watching some YT vids, this guy posted a vid bragging about how he bought the last 40 bags of those mini eagle polys that were discounted at his LEGO store for $0.50 each. The gluttony of some people, I swear. Really fantastic deal but could you leave some for someone else? I haven't even seen that poly anywhere, let alone on sale. I gotta stay off youtube, see vids like that all the time. Yeah, call me bitter. But every store I go to I barely find any polys ever unless it's Target. Now I know why.

Anyway, just wanted to pop in that I've seen reports of some Walmarts either mispricing some of the new LEGO movie sets or outright discounting them from the start. They only mentioned the $30 sets being discounted. Price was $15 and change. YMMV

The mini eagle was discounted? They had a ton of them at the store yesterday but I didnt buy one. But if they were that cheap I would have grabbed one or two.

Rootbeer

Banned
I'm leaving for the LEGO store in 15 mins so I'll be on the lookout for discounts. We'll see. Don't worry guys, I won't buy them all :p (as if I had the budget for it)

Also hitting up 2 targets and 1 TRU because I have nothing better to do!

I'm leaving for the LEGO store in 15 mins so I'll be on the lookout for discounts. We'll see. Don't worry guys, I won't buy them all :p (as if I had the budget for it)

Also hitting up 2 targets and 1 TRU because I have nothing better to do!

I said it the other day, but check Barnes and Noble as well. Was able to snag Alien Conquest and Prince of Persia sets for 50% off between two stores around here.

I found out today that I'll be getting a pay raise for three months while I'm doing special work, so I celebrated by pulling the trigger on Parisian Restaurant and some other things. Can't wait until it gets here!

I have teh option to purchase the Lego Death Star. Is it worth the 399.00 price tag? My wife got me the R2D2 last year, and I had a blast putting it together. I really enjoy sets that have tons of legos, so it can keep me busy for a while. Any ideas? Does the Death Star show well for display?

Top Bottom