• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

ghostmind

What mysteries lie within the PAB box?

Contents disassembled.

1x1x5 white posts- 24
1x10 white brick- 16
1x8 white brick- 73
2x2 white jumper- 32
1x2 trans blue tile- 227
1x1 olive green cheese slope- 161

Not bad for a free box. :)

I count 540 pcs (?), so not bad for a free box, not bad at all.

Vyer

Yes. This wave is very good IMO. I like the jet a lot. The older Jay's Storm Fighter was a surprise to me. I thought it was cool looking, but the build was fun too.

Might get him one of those dragons. I'm interested what that build/set is like.

Vyer

Does anyone have links to old LEGO threads? I'm trying to figure out where I used to host some pics I put in here a while back and need to find my posts for reference.

Of those listed, the top 5 currently available are

Tower Bridge
Death Star
Super Star Destroyer
Sydney Opera House
Town Hall

I'm surprised Tower Bridge is #1. I forgot about all those cheese wedges it has.
Over 500 cheese slopes!
But seriously, that set is a treasure trove for MOC parts. And crazy price for the number of pieces.

ghostmind

First shelving unit filled!

dhfiAMg.jpg

That's most of my Star Wars stuff that is either backlog, or was built and then taken down and put back in the box. I also have three big UCS boxes that won't fit in these shelves.

Tomorrow I start on shelving unit two (I think I'll need 4 in total to fit everything, but I plan to start reducing that by building more and flattening the boxes), and hopefully get to start building on my new tables too.

flyingpig

Neo Member
How big is your basement? Where do you display the sets you have built?

Living in my current condo, I have nowhere to put just the stuff in that shelf, let alone other themes too. =(

Jimbro72

First shelving unit filled!

dhfiAMg.jpg

That's most of my Star Wars stuff that is either backlog, or was built and then taken down and put back in the box. I also have three big UCS boxes that won't fit in these shelves.

Tomorrow I start on shelving unit two (I think I'll need 4 in total to fit everything, but I plan to start reducing that by building more and flattening the boxes), and hopefully get to start building on my new tables too.

It's so...glorious! And, you have me beat in the backlog total. I just counted a little over 90 sets in my own plus probably a couple dozen unopened polybags. Based on all the new stuff I want that just came out, I expect within next couple months my backlog to go racing well into the low 100's.

Thanks for posting that Ghost, I clean out my LEGO storage today ie our guest room closet and start feeling bad about my backlog. Seeing your stuff make me realize I can still buy more. We are commencing Death Star construction this weekend.

ghostmind

How big is your basement? Where do you display the sets you have built?

Living in my current condo, I have nowhere to put just the stuff in that shelf, let alone other themes too. =(

1200 sq. ft., of which I have about 600 sq. ft. that I can use for LEGO storage, display and building space.

I'll have more pictures tomorrow of the build space, once I have the additional storage built and get all the sets out of the way.

Wooh! Found a bunch of baseplates I thought I lost at my folks place :) I pulled out my two huge boxes of Bionicle (was a big Bionicle fan), and apparently one had an extra stash of my mainly major Lego sets all thrown together. I'll post pics once Imgur starts working for me again.

It's been awhile since the last contest.
11554733463_0332eaf7e8_n.jpg
[/url]

This is an absolutely inspired build. I'm all for your idea BentBricks, let's do it!

10-20 pieces is an awesome challenge.

You really made the most out of that free PAB box. I'm taking my daughter to the LEGO store tomorrow. I can guarantee that you will beat her by 300+ pieces.

dhfiAMg.jpg

Tetris-champion like skills there. What's your endgame here? Once you have your basement LEGO room defined will you store the uninvited sets out of sight, or in the boxes on your racks?

I spent tonight cleaning up my "LEGO Room" and I'm beginning to think that minifigs are the worst offenders for keeping things messy. I don't have nearly the volume that many of you do, but even so a few hundred figs on shelves can feel overwhelming.

In 2014 I'm taking it down to basics. I'll post pics when I make some progress.

ghostmind

Tetris-champion like skills there. What's your endgame here? Once you have your basement LEGO room defined will you store the uninvited sets out of sight, or in the boxes on your racks?

I spent tonight cleaning up my "LEGO Room" and I'm beginning to think that minifigs are the worst offenders for keeping things messy. I don't have nearly the volume that many of you do, but even so a few hundred figs on shelves can feel overwhelming.

Eventually all the boxes (save for the big UCS ones) get broken down, and either the set gets built and stays that way, or I break it down and sort the pieces into bins that will fit under the tables. I'm "borrowing" JANG's display and storage system, though it will take me longer than him to have all the parts in place.

I came to the same conclusion about the minifgures. At first I stored them in those plastic tackle box but I don't like them rattling around loose in those box and they are just ugly to display (the tackle box). I actually like the overpriced LEGO collector box (yes the cheap looking cardboard one), since I can put the figures on display on the shelves inside the box and then just move the box to storage if I want to rotate out my display. Too bad they are a bit overpriced. Anyway, I just have these on shelf now stack like books and then display the one I want.

WP_20131228_18_59_19_Pro by antiquegamer, on Flickr

Eventually all the boxes (save for the big UCS ones) get broken down, and either the set gets built and stays that way, or I break it down and sort the pieces into bins that will fit under the tables. I'm "borrowing" JANG's display and storage system, though it will take me longer than him to have all the parts in place.

What exactly is JANG's display and storage system? Please post photos or link. I'm always looking for new storage ideas.

ghostmind

What exactly is JANG's display and storage system? Please post photos or link. I'm always looking for new storage ideas.

This is his table structure, I'm going to be doing a variant with about 8 to 10 tables, plus 2 for my project building area.

http://youtu.be/XO764hsBbt0

This is Part 1 of his parts collection tour - he's up to part 9 now. I don't have near his volume, and there are some things I would do differently, but I'm using his model as a base for my own.

http://youtu.be/hyplnz9ZiKo

I really like all the little details and fan service in the Lego Movie set. I have a bad feeling I will end up getting most if not all of the sets.

WP_20140102_08_50_30_Pro by antiquegamer, on Flickr

WP_20140102_09_11_41_Pro by antiquegamer, on Flickr

I like the Fire Mech but my favorite of the three is actually the flying Windmill

WP_20140102_09_04_28_Pro by antiquegamer, on Flickr

The Micro Manager remind me of the Next Cube, not sure if that was intentional.

WP_20140102_09_23_41_Pro by antiquegamer, on Flickr

Nice assortment of Minifigures too, the set is a great value for $69.99.

WP_20140102_09_31_02_Pro by antiquegamer, on Flickr

ghostmind

High-five on the windmill being the best part of the set (though the rest is great too).

And a NeXTcube reference to boot. I never thought about it before, but now that's all I am going to see when I see a Micromanager.

And if anyone wonders why there is a blurry part in the front of the fire mech, it's because there is a unique code there for an unlock in the upcoming LEGO Movie game.

neonglow

I really like all the little details and fan service in the Lego Movie set. I have a bad feeling I will end up getting most if not all of the sets.

WP_20140102_08_50_30_Pro by antiquegamer, on Flickr

WP_20140102_09_11_41_Pro by antiquegamer, on Flickr

I like the Fire Mech but my favorite of the three is actually the flying Windmill

WP_20140102_09_04_28_Pro by antiquegamer, on Flickr

The Micro Manager remind me of the Next Cube, not sure if that was intentional.

WP_20140102_09_23_41_Pro by antiquegamer, on Flickr

Nice assortment of Minifigures too, the set is a great value for $69.99.

WP_20140102_09_31_02_Pro by antiquegamer, on Flickr

Looks like a great set. Since it's an exclusive, I think I will wait until a good LEGO Shop promotion before I pick it up.

I just picked up the garbage truck and plumber van.

High-five on the windmill being the best part of the set (though the rest is great too).

And a NeXTcube reference to boot. I never thought about it before, but now that's all I am going to see when I see a Micromanager.

And if anyone wonders why there is a blurry part in the front of the fire mech, it's because there is a unique code there for an unlock in the upcoming LEGO Movie game.

I didn't know that's what it is for! May be i should have reverse the brick, not that I was planning to get the game (unless they release Xbox One or PS4 version).

I love the flying windmill (I think it's call windmill helicopter) not only because it has a lot of nice cute details (like swine powered engine), or carrot bombs but also that how my brother and I used to build our vehicle before the Space theme. We used to MOC by taking the houses and cars set and make them into spaceship so we would had house's doors and windows as part of the ship cockpits. We used to ram them and see who is the winner by how many parts were left on the chassis.

I mostly want the Wild West airplane to be honest, as well as the smaller glider WIld West set... I miss that theme so much and I really did not like any of the Lone Ranger sets (plus the Mine was not as much of a want for me to budget it).

This is his table structure, I'm going to be doing a variant with about 8 to 10 tables, plus 2 for my project building area.

http://youtu.be/XO764hsBbt0

This is Part 1 of his parts collection tour - he's up to part 9 now. I don't have near his volume, and there are some things I would do differently, but I'm using his model as a base for my own.

http://youtu.be/hyplnz9ZiKo

Wow. I wish I could have a room dedicate like that.

I keep my stuff very similar to Jang (at least in part 1). I group things similarly. The biggest thing I do different is I prefer to keep my minifigs together instead of breaking them down into parts. I'm a bit OCD in wanting to preserve them as I got them. I should put all my sets into Brickset so I could more easily remake the minifigs as the originals.

iuuk

Was someone asking for links to our previous threads earlier?

If so...

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

The LEGO Thread
Hey, I posted in all of those. Smalltime LEGO-gaf poster since the beginning, go me.

I also saw this picture I took way back when (2012...):

And wondered why LEGO hasn't given out bags like those more often. It really is a brilliant little bag. A lot bigger when you fold it out, and very portable. It's essentialy LEGO.

And I wonder if any of the new batches of the Back to the Future set have a corrected Flux Capacitor piece, or if LEGO is just going to let that one go.

My daughter just filled our holiday PAB box. SO MANY 1x2 pink tiles...I'm more excited about them than she is.

Lots of sales. They're really flushing out the first wave of Chima sets and all of the leftover Monster Fighter stock.

judhudson

Anybody from LEGO GAF planning on attending Brickfair in Birmingham, Alabama next week? I'll be there for that Saturday.

Hoping to pick up the NASA Mars Rover. Possibly the Restaurant Modular and/or some of the LEGO Movie Sets as well (I may hold off buying out there to go to the LEGO store in the mall so I can use my VIP card.

ghostmind

Anybody from LEGO GAF planning on attending Brickfair in Birmingham, Alabama next week? I'll be there for that Saturday.

Hoping to pick up the NASA Mars Rover. Possibly the Restaurant Modular and/or some of the LEGO Movie Sets as well (I may hold off buying out there to go to the LEGO store in the mall so I can use my VIP card.

There is going to be a new set reveal there, so you can be the first one of us to see it in person.

judhudson

There is going to be a new set reveal there, so you can be the first one of us to see it in person.

My fingers are crossed it is the Simpsons Sets. Even though I am no watch the show, they would be too cool to pass up.

That or the LEGO Movie Seacow Ship....god almighty *drools*

I haven't started mine yet, but going by Phon's review, I would say it is the best, or damn close to it.

I still have not built Green Grocer, and that seems to be the favorite of many. My favorite before was Pet Shop, but Parisian Restaurant is much better than that.

EDIT: Looking at the parts list for Green Grocer, I probably wouldn't need to bricklink much of anything except some of the green pieces to actually build it with stuff I already have. Or could just color swap and make a Grey Grocer or something.
Maybe someday down the line.

Lorien

Banned
It's my favorite of the three I've built. (The three being Fire Station, Grand Emporium and Parisian Restaurant)

I haven't started mine yet, but going by Phon's review, I would say it is the best, or damn close to it.

Awesome, can't wait to dig into it tomorrow. I've stayed mostly in the dark on this set. I feel like I've hyped up sets in the past too much which led to disappointment (ya, you Palace Cinema).

Top Bottom