• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

I don't get why they are doing another SW interceptor so soon... it's a cool looking ship though and I do like it in yellow. So far I think I'm only in for the Grievous one, mostly for the minifigs

I am sure they originally plan this for the 3D released of Revenge if the Seth. I actually don't care for the update version (I have the green one). I think new version is way too big.

what's the link for the tables? curious about prices and a good work corner as well now (for art making and lego making)

Lookin forward to getting home tomorrow from my folks mostly due to seeing my girl again and Goblin King set waiting for me, plus the small Lego Movie western set.

I swung by Target today and have to say, I feel like after seeing alot of the 2014 sets on the shelves, I feel like this year the sets being released have a way way bigger bang for the buck in terms of what you get than last year. Everything feels unique, well priced (mainly the Movie sets), and overall well planned.

Rootbeer

Banned
Man, I'm really glad Lego doesn't have the license to release Star Wars CMF because I think I would spend way too much on it.

is that really the reason? they release polybags with only figs inside all the time.

by the way, I want to start planning for the simpsons minifigs, would anyone be interested in splitting a box? I can prepay (established posters only), course I'd want to see what the actual figs are before fully committing. Just curious if anyone is already thinking about it. I have a feeling they will be harder to get ahold of than past waves.

is that really the reason? they release polybags with only figs inside all the time.

by the way, I want to start planning for the simpsons minifigs, would anyone be interested in splitting a box? I can prepay (established posters only), course I'd want to see what the actual figs are before fully committing. Just curious if anyone is already thinking about it. I have a feeling they will be harder to get ahold of than past waves.

Speculators will be all over these figures. In a crazy way. At the same time, I also see them flooding the market with these figures. You will probably see them in places you never normally find LEGO mini figures.

Draxal

The polybags are always legoshop/convention promos in America, the battlepacks always have a built in figure/mini vehicle to get around the licensing issue (Hasbro has the rights to regular figures).

Rootbeer

Banned
Speculators will be all over these figures. In a crazy way. At the same time, I also see them flooding the market with these figures. You will probably see them in places you never normally find LEGO mini figures.
It's a theory :p I heard the same thing about the 6 inch star wars black figures. Sure, I find them places, but never boba fett. sand trooper is also hard to find. glad I pre-ordered them online. i'd rather not risk not getting them.

ghostmind

what's the link for the tables? curious about prices and a good work corner as well now (for art making and lego making)

Lookin forward to getting home tomorrow from my folks mostly due to seeing my girl again and Goblin King set waiting for me, plus the small Lego Movie western set.

I swung by Target today and have to say, I feel like after seeing alot of the 2014 sets on the shelves, I feel like this year the sets being released have a way way bigger bang for the buck in terms of what you get than last year. Everything feels unique, well priced (mainly the Movie sets), and overall well planned.

Here you go:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50251350/#/00240241

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70217973/#/90217972

There's a few different LINNMON table sizes that you can get.

frogg609

Finally started building the Special Edition of the 4 x 4 Crawler last night. Am about half-way through, and found I am missing a piece. (Was almost finished with all the #1 bags so I'm sure I didn't misplace it.)

http://www.brickset.com/parts/?part=4211779

That's the missing piece. Pretty bummed as I was hoping to finish it up this weekend. I checked through my bins and I don't have any either, (my Technic collection is pretty small).

I put in a customer service request, so I should get one in a week or so, but it just sucks to have to wait to finish the build. On to the next one I guess.

wetwired

Second shelf is stocked:

iEBhi5L.jpg

CITY, Dino, Pharaoh's Quest, and one lone Atlantis set.

I'll need to get one more shelf, and that should be enough for what is left.

Build space:

JVhlRh4.jpg

It's brighter than the picture would present. As I mentioned earlier, I'll be getting 8-10 more of these tables to use as my display space, which will run between the build space and the storage shelves. I'm also going to start investing in the plastic sterlite stackable storage units, that you can find at Walmart or Target, and will be tucking those under the tables to hold all my unused parts.

That's the one thing that sucks about Australia, we generally don't have basements, if I had one I'd love to set up a building space, mine is generally on the floor or coffee table, which sucks as I have to spend about 10 minutes at either end of a build session bringing all the containers out to the place of building and putting them back at the end otherwise the kids get into them and the wife yells at me.

Blizzard

Banned
I ordered the Parisian Restaurant even though I've had the parts for Pet Shop spread out in bags on the floor for like, a month and haven't built it.

BUT SOME DAY, I hope to build both. :p

ruxtpin

Banned
ah man. I just finished Jabba's Sail Barge, what a fun build. I know it's a pricey set, but I loved that it had little rooms packed inside. Highly recommend it if you're a fan of Star Wars, or at least the original movies.

I'll try to post some pictures of my new setup tomorrow. Still trying to clean up and figure out what sets I want to break down and where I want to store a few things.

He is accurate in stating LEGO doesn't have the license to sell LEGO minifigures on their own. Hasbro has the license for action figures/dolls. I definitely did buy the magnet sets for the minifigures and am upset at Hasbro for bringing up the lawsuit.

Obviously LEGO does release polybags with only Star Wars minifigures, but those aren't sold. They are a free giveaway usually.

http://bricks.stackexchange.com/que...igs-now-glued-on-and-how-should-i-remove-them

"The problem was that LEGO Star Wars magnet sets violated a licensing agreement which said that LEGO could produce sets that contained Star Wars characters, but that they couldn't produce stand-alone figures. Apparently, one of the other big-name toy brands who was licences to produce stand-alone figures objected to the LEGO magnet products because they felt that the availability of LEGO Star Wars figures on magnets harmed their own sales figures."

EDIT: Now that they have the new LEGO magnets, I wish LEGO would bring back the old magnet brick with minifigures. The only different is they would not have any licensed minifigs for those. The licensed ones could be the new magnet format. I stopped buying the old magnet sets once I found out they were glued.

Rootbeer

Banned
Dang you Hasbro! Ahh well, SW isn't what it used to be, but then, neither is The Simpsons -__- I do like that LEGO is branching out with their minifigure sets into third party licenses. It could go to a lot of interesting places. Just sucks that so many great properties are licensed for figures.

Was digging around and found one of the sets I owned as a kid. Trying to find more. I miss it! Loved those forestmen :)

6071-1.jpg

Blizzard

Banned
I think I had two Forestmen, one with a cart that could hide a man underneath it, and one that was a big tree fort with a portcullis. The entire back of the fort hinged open.

I remember being an OCD child and hating that the vine whip loop was loose and did not stay on the pips very well though. :p

Playing LEGO Marvel and trying to 100% it right now, I realized how LEGO could own my wallet if they'd release at least half of the super heroes featured in this game.
I am really happy I am getting Red Skull, Modok, Falcon, Taskmaster and a Hydra Soldier, BUT 5 sets for the whole 2014? is that it? is that all that LEGO is going to do with that license in 2014?
I was hoping they would redesign Captain America and give him a helmet similar to Flash, I just can't understand how LEGO decide who can have a helmet and who can't when their masks/cowls are almost the same in the comics.
Cap movie 2 is coming and it was the best opportunity to release a few new sets, oh well..

/rant

ghostmind

I just watched Jang's review of Parisian Restaurant and my jaw is floored but what's with the faces on all the figs?

That's a signature of the modulars - the minifig faces are always the classic style.

I appreciate the nod to the past, but I would rather they use the current faces myself.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Checked ikea's website this morning after organizing the table I bought yesterday. Found this corner piece which will be perfect for me. Getting two of these to go along with the 3 tables I got yesterday will work out exactly right.

http://m.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/art/60251335/

I was gonna buy them online but they want $250 just for shipping. I was only gonna spend 75 or so for the corner pieces.

ghostmind

ckLJVkJ.jpg

Same source as the LEGO Movie Sea Cow leak... someone in Mexico is going to get into a LOT of trouble if LEGO can find the leak.

Observations:
  • MUST HAVE - it would integrate nicely into a LEGO neighbourhood if you didn't use the minifigs.
  • Another set with 2500+ pieces!
  • LOL - the Plutonium rod on the driveway!
  • The set number is interesting - that is the CMF number progression, and I would have thought that 71006 would have been the Simpsons CMF number.
  • This may be the only Simpsons set in 2014, with a Simpsons CMF series (71007?) to go with it.

Comparison from the show:
1GLybzT.jpg

ghostmind

I'm indifferent to the figs, but I'm all over that house.

Not a fan of the minifig head designs - almost everyone looks like they need a nap - but I do like the rest of bodies.

I'm hoping Marge's hair is removable - I think either by using existing minifig faces, or by some custom LEGO printer, we could get minifig-compatible heads for the Simpsons characters, to use in place of LEGO's versions.

Regardless, the house looks awesome!

ckLJVkJ.jpg

Same source as the LEGO Movie Sea Cow leak... someone in Mexico is going to get into a LOT of trouble if LEGO can find the leak.

Observations:
  • MUST HAVE - it would integrate nicely into a LEGO neighbourhood if you didn't use the minifigs.
  • The set number is interesting - that is the CMF number progression, and I would have thought that 71006 would have been the Simpsons CMF number.
  • This may be the only Simpsons set in 2014, with a Simpsons CMF series (71007?) to go with it.

I am disappointed on those minifigures, really not feeling them at all, they don't look LEGO to me, awesome House, but not looking good so far.

neonglow

ckLJVkJ.jpg

Observations:

Instant Buy!

Wow, 2500 pieces! I love it. I wad expecting one of those fake Disney theme park style set. I am probably a minority but I like the minifigures.

Don't care for the minifigures one bit but that house looks really good. Now does it look as good inside as it does outside, that is the key.

neonglow

Here's some pricing info on the Simpsons set from a guy on Brickset:

One of our local retailers has this listed as a May arrival at ZAR 2,649.00 which is around £155, so it may actually come in below the £200 mark in the UK.

ckLJVkJ.jpg

Observations:

1GLybzT.jpg

The house looks awesome, but the figures look merely okay. This is a must buy in my opinion. And that piece count is nuts. Now I want better pics of the backside and interior.

ckLJVkJ.jpg

Observations:

It opens up like the Haunted House. You can see the hinges on the chimney.
Hmmm...looks like a $250-$300 set.

EDIT: Duh, you can see it opening in the smaller photo on the box.

Not a fan of the minifig head designs - almost everyone looks like they need a nap - but I do like the rest of bodies.

I'm hoping Marge's hair is removable - I think either by using existing minifig faces, or by some custom LEGO printer, we could get minifig-compatible heads for the Simpsons characters, to use in place of LEGO's versions.

Regardless, the house looks awesome!

NOT a fan of the sleep/shifty eye look also. Lisa's eyes almost look fully open.
Hope they have some alternate versions of the main cast in the CMFs or future sets.

Based on the existing heads, I think they went full on one mould for all the heads. It gives a better look, but takes away from the fun of swapping hair pieces around like most minifigs.

EDIT: Looks like Maggie's eyes are fully open. I wouldn't be so meh on the minifigs if they had eyes fully open. Flanders looks good (insert flanders in tight ski-suit).

Jimbro72

ckLJVkJ.jpg

Observations:

1GLybzT.jpg

Wow, that house looks amazing! There must be quite a bit of interior detail, as well, given the piece count but also because the house swings open in half to how the inside. I hope the interior is as good as recent modulars.

Regardless, it's a must buy.

Carlos S on Eurobricks has two major scoops in a row. Damn. His friend of a brother, or whatever the connection is, is delivering big time.

I know Ghostmind asked for Sandcrawler box art, now I want Benny's Spaceship box art.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Wow, fully enclosed hose, all the major minifigs. I will be getting that.

I wish the car was big enough for the entire family.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I don't mind the shapes of the minifigure heads - more accurate is good. They need better expressions though!

Flanders is good. Lisa, Bart and Marge look very shifty though! As if they're trying to hide some dark secret.

wetwired

ckLJVkJ.jpg

Observations:

1GLybzT.jpg

Sold, looks like this years haunted house for me, another big set outside the modular line to buy, good to see it comes with all the family and more too

Man, I want to watch Jang's review of the restaurant but I also think he'll spoil all the fun. It'll be here next week, I will try to stay strong.

Ryuuroden

ckLJVkJ.jpg

Observations:

1GLybzT.jpg

could care less about the figs but I may get it after all just for that house.

ghostmind

The Simpsons house is all over Twitter right now... how does LEGO respond? Do they respond? Was this the reveal planned for next Saturday? If so, they can probably coast until then. If not, then do they make it official now, or stick their fingers in their eyes ears and shout "LAAA LAAA LAAA"?

I imagine a lot of angry emails at the moment...

Top Bottom