• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

Ryuuroden

So what's the verdict, Parisian Restaurant the best modular yet? I'll be picking it up on my lunch break today.

In my opinion, it is the best yet. I've built every modular from Green Grocer to current. Only missed out on Market Street and Cafe Corner.

In my opinion, it is the best yet. I've built every modular from Green Grocer to current. Only missed out on Market Street and Cafe Corner.

I took a brief look at it in the LEGO store today and it looked amazing. I've been avoiding too close an inspection or any reviews because I'd like to be surprised. From what I saw it really does look incredible. So glad it's a slightly different form factor than the other current modulars.

ghostmind

Second shelf is stocked:

iEBhi5L.jpg

CITY, Dino, Pharaoh's Quest, and one lone Atlantis set.

I'll need to get one more shelf, and that should be enough for what is left.

Build space:

JVhlRh4.jpg

It's brighter than the picture would present. As I mentioned earlier, I'll be getting 8-10 more of these tables to use as my display space, which will run between the build space and the storage shelves. I'm also going to start investing in the plastic sterlite stackable storage units, that you can find at Walmart or Target, and will be tucking those under the tables to hold all my unused parts.

So, I'm planning to buy a Cinderella to make a one-off custom figure. And I just watched The Little Mermaid, so I kinda want an Ariel. And if they ever make Elsa or Jasmine I'll want them too (and you can bet Frozen will be in the second range of sets).

Not only is Lego making me spend a lot of money, they're making me spend it on Disney figures! Disney princesses!

rallaren

Second shelf is stocked:

http://imgur.com/iEBhi5L.jpg[IMG]

Build space:

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/JVhlRh4.jpg[IMG]

It's brighter than the picture would present. As I mentioned earlier, I'll be getting 8-10 more of these tables to use as my display space, which will run between the build space and the storage shelves. I'm also going to start investing in the plastic sterlite stackable storage units, that you can find at Walmart or Target, and will be tucking those under the tables to hold all my unused parts.[/QUOTE]
I want it all by Queen plays in my head right now.

ghostmind

I want it all by Queen plays in my head right now.

LOL - once it is all out of the boxes and built or broken down it will be less impressive. My collection is large, but pales in comparison to many many others, including other LEGO-GAF'ers.

Now I have the task of moving my constructed sets from the top floor down to the basement, which is going to be a delicate task for some of them.

Second shelf is stocked:

iEBhi5L.jpg

Build space:

JVhlRh4.jpg

It's brighter than the picture would present. As I mentioned earlier, I'll be getting 8-10 more of these tables to use as my display space, which will run between the build space and the storage shelves. I'm also going to start investing in the plastic sterlite stackable storage units, that you can find at Walmart or Target, and will be tucking those under the tables to hold all my unused parts.

49157-george-takei-oh-my-gif-e64l.gif

rallaren

LOL - once it is all out of the boxes and built or broken down it will be less impressive. My collection is large, but pales in comparison to many many others, including other LEGO-GAF'ers.

Now I have the task of moving my constructed sets from the top floor down to the basement, which is going to be a delicate task for some of them.
I thought you had backlogs from all themes and those were just some of them.

ghostmind

I thought you had backlogs from all themes and those were just some of them.

The two biggest backlogs are Star Wars and CITY, which are in the shelves that I posted. The rest of the themes combined (minus Dino & Pharaoh) will manage to fit in a third shelf - I just need to go purchase one.

I also have the sets hiding under my build space, but most of those are modulars and the like that I had taken apart, that I now want to build again since I have the room.

I've also got two 70 quart storage tubs that are filled with sets I had removed from their boxes (to conserve space) and put into individual zip-loc bags. Most of those have never been built, so I think they would also count as backlog. I probably want to get those out of the bags sooner than later, as I've heard that storing bricks long-term in zip-loc can be harmful.

rallaren

The two biggest backlogs are Star Wars and CITY, which are in the shelves that I posted. The rest of the themes combined (minus Dino & Pharaoh) will manage to fit a third shelf - I just need to go purchase one.

I also have the sets hiding under my build space, but most of those are modulars and the like that I had taken apart, that I now want to build again since I have the room.

I've also got two 70 quart storage tubs that are filled with sets I had removed from their boxes (to conserve space) and put into individual zip-loc bags. Most of those have never been built, so I think they would also count as backlog.
Have you checked what bigger sets not bought you can build with all the sets and pieces you already have?

Good god. That backlog. That is nuts.

I know we are moving in a few months, so tearing everything down now. A few sets left to put into the collective, and then reorganize that a bit. Then I start taking down the permanent display pieces and boxing those back up.
I thought about transporting them all assembled and fixing them wherever my wife and I end up, but it will take up a lot less space to break them down. And it will give me a LOT to do once we get to where we move.

ghostmind

Have you checked what bigger sets not bought you can build with all the sets and pieces you already have?

Not in a while - if you want, toss me a set number and I will check rebrickable, since I just updated my collection there.

Let's try the largest sets I don't have:

10189 Taj Mahal (88.4% of the required bricks)
10214 Tower Bridge (95.9%)
10143 Death Star II (95.0%)
10181 Eiffel Tower (92.9%)
10196 Grand Carousel (91.4%)

ghostmind

Good god. That backlog. That is nuts.

I know we are moving in a few months, so tearing everything down now. A few sets left to put into the collective, and then reorganize that a bit. Then I start taking down the permanent display pieces and boxing those back up.
I thought about transporting them all assembled and fixing them wherever my wife and I end up, but it will take up a lot less space to break them down. And it will give me a LOT to do once we get to where we move.

Are you going to be moving to a house or an apartment/condo? It would be great if you find a place that has room for a LEGO build/storage area, since you create MOCs a lot, and I imagine would do more if you had the space.

I'm impressed with anyone that goes "all in" on a hobby. Hats off to you Ghostmind.

Since I got back into LEGO (it's been a year exactly this month), I think they are one of the more "manageable" hobby. There are good variety and unless you are super OCD and have to have everything type (which then LEGO would be a bad choice) you can find a niche and collect in that space. My other hobbies are of course video games and collect vintage Japanese toys, the former is expensive and have terrible resale value, the latter is even more expensive (at the height of my insanity, I purchase a single action-figure that cost almost a grand) and are very difficult to resale since they are very niche item with very limited market. LEGO on the other hand are widely popular of course it can get out of hand quickly like any addiction but you can recoup most of your investment into the hobby or recycle them once you are bore or done with certain theme.

ghostmind

Since I got back into LEGO (it's been a year exactly this month), I think they are one of the more "manageable" hobby. There are good variety and unless you are super OCD and have to have everything type (which then LEGO would be a bad choice) you can find a niche and collect in that space. My other hobbies are of course video games and collect vintage Japanese toys, the former is expensive and have terrible resale value, the latter is even more expensive (at the height of my insanity, I purchase a single action-figure that cost almost a grand) and are very difficult to resale since they are very niche item with very limited market. LEGO on the other hand are widely popular of course it can get out of hand quickly like any addiction but you can recoup most of your investment into the hobby or recycle them once you are bore or done with certain theme.

Exactly. Within my LEGO collection, the Star Wars theme is primary, with the modulars and some of the direct sets behind that, and on down the line. One thing I am hoping to achieve once I have all my tables set up, is have a better idea of how many sets I can display at once. I'm not going to have more space in the foreseeable future than I do now. At that time, I may sell off a bunch of my CITY sets and/or other themes, so that I can display more SW, or I may not. If I do decide to sell, I expect to get close to what I invested. Of course, if the LEGO bubble bursts at some point, then all of that changes.

Are you going to be moving to a house or an apartment/condo? It would be great if you find a place that has room for a LEGO build/storage area, since you create MOCs a lot, and I imagine would do more if you had the space.

No clue at all. All I know is my wife has a few more months left until she gets her PhD, then it is wherever that takes us. Even if we stay in the CT area, we are not staying in this apartment when the lease expires at the end of March.

JANG's Flashback Friday set is "452 Mobile Ground Tracking Station" from 1979:

http://youtu.be/h7vwopqc-cI

I remember having this set in my youth.

I don't think we had this set, the only one I fondly remember playing with my brother was the one with moon crater base plate space station. We also had the big spaceship set. Last year at local LEGO convention someone had a nice display of all vintage Space theme, it was really nice to see them all together.

This one?

Yep that one. We were so excited when LEGO start doing Space theme. Like I said before that my brother and I were making spaceship out of parts from houses and cars. It was pretty funny because back then there were those shutter windows pieces so our spaceships had these shutter windows.

Darnit, you guys are gonna make me buy some of those Classic Space sets...well the ones I don't have and want that is. Those moon crater baseplates are the greatest ever.

Rootbeer

Banned
yeah, I had some classic space as a kid. Wish I still had some just for the nostalgia. The upcoming LEGO movie isn't helping my temptation either. I need to bricklink some of that stuff.

So, I'm planning to buy a Cinderella to make a one-off custom figure. And I just watched The Little Mermaid, so I kinda want an Ariel. And if they ever make Elsa or Jasmine I'll want them too (and you can bet Frozen will be in the second range of sets).

Not only is Lego making me spend a lot of money, they're making me spend it on Disney figures! Disney princesses!

My addiction > my insecurities

I buy Friends themes without hesitation. I like the mini-dolls and sets (although not a huge fan of the color palette). Friends + Disney princesses = $$$ for LEGO and Disney.

Be aware that Walmart Sterlite and Target Sterlite have different designs. I'm OCD and really like my storage cases to be identical as much as possible.

Sterlite is my preferred choice of storage. I have the lockable and stackable storage units. I also like their drawers. Sterlite shoeboxes and cheap containers for bulk items.

ghostmind

Be aware that Walmart Sterlite and Target Sterlite have different designs. I'm OCD and really like my storage cases to be identical as much as possible.

Sterlite is my preferred choice of storage. I have the lockable and stackable storage units. I also like their drawers. Sterlite shoeboxes and cheap containers for bulk items.

Yeah, the drawer units that you can put on casters, or stack on top of each other, are the ones I want to get.

Kryten

Oh god help me - finished book one of Fire Brigade last night and it is SO good. Now I'm looking at auctions for other modular sets.

So much detail. So many great little techniques and touches. So broke :(

I must have spent hours staring at that set in the LEGO catalogs back in the day. Never did get it though. Was a given an Atari VCS around that time, and most of my money went toward buying games after that.

I wasn't allowed a game system back then; you are the lucky one! I had to live vicariously through my cousin's Intellivision.

Yep that one. We were so excited when LEGO start doing Space theme. Like I said before that my brother and I were making spaceship out of parts from houses and cars. It was pretty funny because back then there were those shutter windows pieces so our spaceships had these shutter windows.

I had so many spaceships with shutter windows. I really wish we had pictures of my terrible creations.

Oh god help me - finished book one of Fire Brigade last night and it is SO good. Now I'm looking at auctions for other modular sets.

You are in for a treat. That was my first modular and that booklet ended up being one of my least favourite (still good though!). Mostly because it is so deep that you can't really adjust things like the helmets if they fall off their hooks.

Wait until you get to the "year". That specifically is what made me think of LEGO differently.

Due to insomnia, I was up last night at 3:00 am building LEGO. I decided to build this neglected and overlook Star Wars set - the HH-87 Starhopper. It probably doesn't help that beside coming out when the show was cancel the set is base on some random obscure ship from the show with equally obscure line up of minifgures.

The Starhopper, due to being 382 pieces set, has plenty of compromise from the original design, it is smaller than the one seen on TV and more boxy. The LEGO model still is a good representation of the ship and actually to my surprise it was really fun to build and the final product actually looks pretty good.

My main gripe with it is I really hate using of the slope to represent round shape (the same thing that LEGO did with the new Jabba's sail barge). The ship dorsal is interesting, it looks nothing like the TV version but I really like what the designer did to give it some shape (and make it less boxy looking). The wings are very nice and can be folded up for landing, the twin dorsal fins can be move up and down but in very limited range. I like the use of green pieces to give the ship that rustic look, I didn't apply the stickers but it actually looks nice without them.

HH-87 Starhopper by antiquegamer, on Flickr

Beside the folding wings, the ship has the usual flick missiles (but with one of those launcher rods) and ability to poop out a speeder bike from the ship bottom. The mechanism is pretty cool and I like how well it integrates with the ship. (The bike itself is very simplistic looking). You can seat two figures on the ship one in cockpit and one on the bike, the poor random Nikto guard is left outside to guard the ship. I also really like the cockpit canopy with the nice smoke clear part, sadly this particular one has several scruff marks on it. I always appreciate when LEGO put in hinge system instead of the pop out mechanism for canopy. The ship, like many LEGO small sets has no landing gears. I am sure you can mod it to look better but I don't think anyone care enough about this ship. The dark tan and green bricks do add nice colors to Star Wars usual gray and white line up of ships.

The Minifigures assortment really doesn't help, you do get really rare Obi-Wan in his bounty hunter disguise, too bad LEGO omitted the helmet. The set also included Cad Bane (not sure if he is new since this is the only one I have of him) and a random Nikto guard.

HH-87 Starhopper with minifigures by antiquegamer, on Flickr

Due to insomnia, I was up last night at 3:00 am building LEGO. I decided to build this neglected and overlook Star Wars set - the HH-87 Starhopper. It probably doesn't help that beside coming out when the show was cancel the set is base on some random obscure ship from the show with equally obscure line up of minifgures.

Nice review, and great pictures! I was never interested in this set but I always find it interesting to hear/see people's takes on their builds.

My first Lego set:

brickpicker_set_6930_1.jpg

I was 8yrs old. I sold xmas cards door to door for school and sold so many I got to choose the Lego set as my prize. The book was full of toys, but to get the Lego set you had to be a top seller. I sold more cards than any kid in my school, grades kindergarden through fifth, and I was only in second grade! Even after the fund raiser was over, it took 8 weeks for the set to arrive. It was torture!

I'll never forget that set. So simple, yet so perfect. Notice there is double of almost everything. It worked out perfect for my brother and I. The variety of parts were perfect for building other things. Such a great memory.

Ryuuroden

Build space:

JVhlRh4.jpg

how much are those tables, I am planning on moving soon and having a lego/other hobby only room at this future home.

You are about to start "dat second floor" soon. Best part of all modulars I own. At least until Parisian Restaurant. :)

This dude is now available from S@H:

7lx7l13.jpg

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/LEGO-Valentine-40085?fromListing=listing

Looks like they are doing animals for the holidays this year.
They had a display of this up at the store the other day, but none for sale. Dammit.

hmmblah

Got my hands on some Lego Movie CMF. Only had a few minutes so I felt around until I found Panda Suit Guy then grabbed another 12 figures randomly.

alJquF7.jpg

Not bad for blind grabs. The remaining 3 are the Cop and 2 more of the guy with the 80's cut holding the Octan mug. I will hopefully get back there soon to feel out the remaining 6.

ruxtpin

Banned
Anyone know if $53 for the Jek-14 fighter is good? It's a high priced set cuz' of that SW tax, but wondering if $53 is a decent deal.

Eh. Ordered it anyway.

Anyone know if $53 for the Jek-14 fighter is good? It's a high priced set cuz' of that SW tax, but wondering if $53 is a decent deal.

Eh. Ordered it anyway.

That's not a bad price, I don't think I have seen it on sale all that often (beside the usual 10-20% off) I still haven't got one, hoping for 30% off or more.

So as I have stated in the past, long ago I was a huge Bionicle fan. I followed it up to a little past the Mask of Light story before the series just got super weird.

I'm currently at my folks place till Sunday and decided to go through some of my boxes...

MLKYt3d.jpg

These are huge boxes that I have two of and I have them all filled with Bionicle sets including rare promotional sets as well as odd stuff like Mcdonalds Bionicle, board games, limited TRU mask containers and more. I still find the original Toa and Bohrok such well designed sets.

h0c1tsO.jpg

The second box had a nice surprise of containing a large chunk of my lego castle stuff that I thought I had lost. I now have a ton of my old baseplates such as the Badguy Mining Hideout tan curved road as well as some smaller odd shaped bases. Glad I found em as I'll be taking them back up with me home.

I realized I also have more adventurer Johnny Thunder sets than I thought...

ghostmind

I love the set-specific baseplates - or any baseplates in general. I hope LEGO reverses course at some point and starts them in sets again.

Matt

Hey if anyone has an unopened Fire Brigade in their backlog that they are willing to part with (long shot) let me know. Got a bunch of new sets to trade, or just cash.

Really mad at myself that I let that go OOP.

Dragoshi1

So as I have stated in the past, long ago I was a huge Bionicle fan. I followed it up to a little past the Mask of Light story before the series just got super weird.

I'm currently at my folks place till Sunday and decided to go through some of my boxes...

MLKYt3d.jpg

These are huge boxes that I have two of and I have them all filled with Bionicle sets including rare promotional sets as well as odd stuff like Mcdonalds Bionicle, board games, limited TRU mask containers and more. I still find the original Toa and Bohrok such well designed sets.

h0c1tsO.jpg

The second box had a nice surprise of containing a large chunk of my lego castle stuff that I thought I had lost. I now have a ton of my old baseplates such as the Badguy Mining Hideout tan curved road as well as some smaller odd shaped bases. Glad I found em as I'll be taking them back up with me home.

I realized I also have more adventurer Johnny Thunder sets than I thought...

Lucky bastard, I wish I still had my Bohroks. Forever lost them about 10 years ago.

Ponn

Banned
Got furry friends set at walmart last night. Will put together today and post pics later. Almost 300 pieces for $20 is pretty damn good even with lack of figs. This looks like a lot of fun to put together.

Top Bottom