• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

The Simpsons house is all over Twitter right now... how does LEGO respond? Do they respond? Was this the reveal planned for next Saturday? If so, they can probably coast until then. If not, then do they make it official now, or stick their fingers in their eyes ears and shout "LAAA LAAA LAAA"?

I imagine a lot of angry emails at the moment...

How did they respond with the leak of Sea Cow and Benny's Spaceship?
Either way, free press is free press.

ruxtpin

Banned
Gotta be honest, I'm surprised by how good the Simpsons house looks. Not a fan of the figures, but the house would go good next to the other bigger sets. I'll admit, I don't think I've ever seen a full episode of the Simpsons, ever.

Ryuuroden

Gotta be honest, I'm surprised by how good the Simpsons house looks. Not a fan of the figures, but the house would go good next to the other bigger sets. I'll admit, I don't think I've ever seen a full episode of the Simpsons, ever.

That's me right there, I have pretty much never watched any Simpsons either.

Kryten

Modular sets are aged out according to production order, right? This means that having started (still not finished, delaying the gratification!) with Fire Brigage that Grand Emporium, Pet Shop, Town Hall, Palace Cinema then Parisian Restaurant should be my acquisition order, if looking for deals?

Ponn

Banned

I'm in a similar boat. I watch all the other Fox animation shows but have never been a Simpson's fan. I don't hate the show and watch it once in awhile but the set being from the show does nothing for me. The house itself though is stunning. I don't think it would fit in well with the modular line just like people putting the Haunted House next to modulars looks weird and out of place to me. I could totally see this house sitting next to my Haunted House though.

Oh crap, a couple of these sets with the Haunted House for a trick 'r treating scene would be totally awesome. Hoping it comes with buildable fences.

Ryuuroden

Modular sets are aged out according to production order, right? This means that having started (still not finished, delaying the gratification!) with Fire Brigage that Grand Emporium, Pet Shop, Town Hall, Palace Cinema then Parisian Restaurant should be my acquisition order, if looking for deals?

Well you wont find sales for any of those probably. LEGO has put them off limits for discounting by 3rd party sellers. If someone like amazon tries to discount it LEGO can ban them from being able to sell their exclusives.

Kryten

Well you wont find sales for any of those probably. LEGO has put them off limits for discounting by 3rd party sellers. If someone like amazon tries to discount it LEGO can ban them from being able to sell their exclusives.

I'm in NZ and the retail prices on the modulars are stupid - Grand Emporium, Pet Shop and Parisian Restaurant are all $299, Town Hall is $359 and Palace Cinema is $269. They occasionally pop up on our Ebay equivalent for $30-$40 less than that, which is basically worth jumping on it seems, particularly for some the older sets.

You're right though, actually retailers very rarely have these discounted. There's one shop that almost every week has 20% off LEGO, EXCEPT Modulars, Architecture and big Star Wars sets. It's very frustrating!

Rootbeer

Banned
Excited for the Simpsons house :) The heads/eyes do have their problems but the likenesses are really great.

LOVED the simpsons as a kid throughout the 80s and 90s. After that, as is well-known, the quality dropped quite a bit as some of their best writing talent moved on. And now we're to the point where a lot of the voice actors are passing away... the show can't last that much longer. There is a great (and short) book titled Zombie Simpsons: How the Best Show Ever Became the Broadcasting Undead that examines its decline. Still, I'll always love it for those early seasons.

Anyway, saw that 70809 Lord Business' Evil Lair was on sale for $54 and change. One of the weaker sets in the line, but some nice minifigs and pieces for MOCs. It ALWAYS pays to wait with LEGO on these bigger sets! Unless we're talking about modulars, and then, yeah, the discussion above is very illuminating. Drat!

Great to see amazon slowly replenishing its stock these past few days. And with it, a new assortment of warehousedeals.

I've seen part of one Simpsons show and that was the one where they did the Raven. Otherwise, that's the only thing Simpsons wise I have ever watched. I have my reasons!

Rootbeer

Banned
Strange... so many people out of the Simpsons loop... I understand if you are a younger person, because the show already sunk down to where few people really talked about it anymore by the 2000s and beyond (exception: Simpsons movie release). But If you Looked at seasons 2 - 9 or so (there's a lot of debate about just where the perfect sweet spot lies, but it's around there before season 10), there's not only endless comedy gold to be found, but you'd discover the source of a lot of the funniest simpsons gifs and jokes that still get used to this day. Even a few memes.

Simpsons house added to brickset! Wishlisted :)

leng jai

So I made my order for the PR on the 1st and it's still "in process". Credit card was charged on the first too. S@H always sucks.

ghostmind

When the Simpsons debuted, I was in my teens, and it was a staple of my television viewing until the 10th season, when we both decided to part ways. I haven't seen it much since then (1998), and I never watched the movie.

So, in my eyes, this set is a reminder of a quality show that was a formative part of my, and many others in my age group's, younger years.

I'm looking forward to it, even with the weird-looking minifigs.

ghostmind

LEGO Movie official set names (apparently):

70814 Emmet’s Constructo-Mech
70815 Super Secret Police Dropship
70816 Benny’s Spaceship, Spaceship, SPACESHIP!

ghostmind

The Simpsons CMF series will be set number 71005, with the Simpsons House being 71006.

I miscounted when I was making the observation earlier.

ghostmind

Is there a leak photo of Benny Spaceship or just the picture from the book?

Just a picture, and a similar diagram, from the Movie books.

Phon is trying to will a photo of the box into existence, just as I am with the Sandcrawler. Hopefully our set leaker will help us out in this regard.

ghostmind

21020 Trevi Fountain (Architecture)
21107 Minecraft Microworld: The End
31023 Yellow Racers (Creator)
31024 Roaring Power (Creator)
41059 Jungle Tree House (Friends)
60062 Arctic Ice Breaker (CITY)
70135 Cragger's Fire Striker (Chima)
76019 Marvel Set #1 (GotG*)
76020 Marvel Set #2 (GotG*)
76021 Marvel Set #3 (GotG*)
76022 X-Men Set

* I'm assuming these are Guardians of the Galaxy sets

21020 may be the first Architecture set that I get, as I have fond memories of visiting Trevi Fountain.

When the Simpsons debuted, I was in my teens, and it was a staple of my television viewing until the 10th season, when we both decided to part ways. I haven't seen it much since then (1998), and I never watched the movie.

This is my experience exactly. I can tell you every detail about seasons 1-10 but I also dropped off after that.

Phon is trying to will a photo of the box into existence

He's not the only one; getting a classic Space ship with Benny (Blue Spaceman is my all time favorite fig) at the helm will be amazing.

I compared notes with a friend yesterday who is a much bigger collector than I am (everything from Fabuland through NBA to current)...all of his classic Space helmets broke on the jaw line. I must be totally in the minority with nary a busted helmet.

Rootbeer

Banned
Oh, forgot about that upcoming X-Men set and the GotG stuff...

fuck >.< Probably gonna be another several thousand I spend on LEGO this year.

Ryuuroden

Strange... so many people out of the Simpsons loop... I understand if you are a younger person, because the show already sunk down to where few people really talked about it anymore by the 2000s and beyond (exception: Simpsons movie release). But If you Looked at seasons 2 - 9 or so (there's a lot of debate about just where the perfect sweet spot lies, but it's around there before season 10), there's not only endless comedy gold to be found, but you'd discover the source of a lot of the funniest simpsons gifs and jokes that still get used to this day. Even a few memes.

Simpsons house added to brickset! Wishlisted :)

I was born 9 years before the simpsons started airing so yeah it was on during my childhood/teenage years but that is precisely why I didn't watch it. It was banned in my home. When I grew up and got out I didn't really care to try it, got into anime instead.

I was a Sophomore in High School when the Simpsons were shorts on Tracey Ullman, so yeah old school.

The Simpson house looks really nice, minifigs tho, I think I will need to see in person.

Only a couple more sets to break down and put into the piece collection before I start breaking down all my display pieces. Taking apart so much stuff and adding it to the collective just tells me I need to really refine my organization to account for so many pieces. I bought a ton of containers last week, and even then I dont think it will be enough.
Right now just planning to keep things stuffed to the brim, then once we move buy new storage and refine from there.
One thing I did start doing was further filtering of specific pieces. Some bricks that I have a ton of (Hello, 1x8 bricks!) I have sorted by color in one container, but tonight my container for all my 1x1 studs was about to overflow, so it was time to separate them out.

Ugh. VERY time consuming. Trying to get one container for solid pieces, and another for transparent ones. But it is something simple to do while watching TV.

neonglow

Only a couple more sets to break down and put into the piece collection before I start breaking down all my display pieces. Taking apart so much stuff and adding it to the collective just tells me I need to really refine my organization to account for so many pieces. I bought a ton of containers last week, and even then I dont think it will be enough.
Right now just planning to keep things stuffed to the brim, then once we move buy new storage and refine from there.
One thing I did start doing was further filtering of specific pieces. Some bricks that I have a ton of (Hello, 1x8 bricks!) I have sorted by color in one container, but tonight my container for all my 1x1 studs was about to overflow, so it was time to separate them out.

Ugh. VERY time consuming. Trying to get one container for solid pieces, and another for transparent ones. But it is something simple to do while watching TV.

That container with transparent pieces looks a lot like candy to me. I must be hungry.

Ryuuroden

mine are organized down to color so I know how you feel on that time burn, I am very OCD about that stuff.

Fowler

I'm glad the rumours were true on the Simpsons house and it does come with all the main (ugly) minifigs. So used to buying 3-4 sets to get all of the Avengers/Fellowship/Company of Dwarves that it's nice to have them all in one set.

And the Simpsons being the Simpsons, the series can still sustain a CMF run with all the fan-favourite extras (the one I really want is Hank Scorpio).

I use sandwich and snack ziplock bags in addition to plastic drawers and containers. Very inexpensive. I'm constantly refining my storage solution.

mine are organized down to color so I know how you feel on that time burn, I am very OCD about that stuff.

I'm OCD too. I find it relaxing to sort and organize my LEGO.

ghostmind

iE4Eqjahcpve6.jpg

I have mixed feeling about this if it's a $250+ set. Interior looks nice, but a bit cramped. Makes for a nice diorama display though. This looks like it will be similar to Town Hall build (from what I've heard) where build won't be fun, but looks great when done.

EDIT: Seeing Marge's hair does give some hope it is removable and compatible with other LEGO minifigs.

ghostmind

I don't see Santa's Little Helper or Snowball, but they would probably show up in the CMF packs.

So many little details though - this will be an incredible set!

Vyer

Simpsons house is pretty much a must buy for me. Looks good.

With that second pic I feel better about the mini figs. Bart's less 'high' and more 'shifty eyes'. Homer is more a disinterested face, though honestly I'd rather he had the wide eyed look.

Really looking forward to seeing the CMF

Hmmmm, I'm not as impressed by the interior. It does look cramped and I kinda expect better detail. I mean the Friends house had a much much better interior compared to this...maybe I'm just being too harsh.

Ghostmind single handedly making everyone broke

Anywho, I put together the Bad Cop set from the Lego Movie series, the car itself looks great, very streamlined and having the guns flip out from the small panels is awesome. I have no idea what is going on with the back of Emmet's hair, is this guy trying to go for a psuedo jerry curl? If so...he is in the wrong decade! The crocs were a hilarious touch...now they just need freakin' laser beams.

Ghostmind single handedly making everyone broke

Anywho, I put together the Bad Cop set from the Lego Movie series, the car itself looks great, very streamlined and having the guns flip out from the small panels is awesome. I have no idea what is going on with the back of Emmet's hair, is this guy trying to go for a psuedo jerry curl? If so...he is in the wrong decade! The crocs were a hilarious touch...now they just need freakin' laser beams.

You must have a ton LEGO pieces. Get building those lasers on the crocs!

EDIT: Ghostmind and Phonciplebone are the leaders in this thread in enabling LEGO addiction.

Vyer

My son usually likes for me to sit with him and read the LEGO Club magazine whenever we get a new one. Got into one section before realizing that apparently it's summarizing the plot of the movie for us. lol

Luckily he's 4 so it's gonna bother him a lot less than it would have for me
and kinda did

ckLJVkJ.jpg

Same source as the LEGO Movie Sea Cow leak... someone in Mexico is going to get into a LOT of trouble if LEGO can find the leak.

Observations:
  • MUST HAVE - it would integrate nicely into a LEGO neighbourhood if you didn't use the minifigs.
  • Another set with 2500+ pieces!
  • LOL - the Plutonium rod on the driveway!
  • The set number is interesting - that is the CMF number progression, and I would have thought that 71006 would have been the Simpsons CMF number.
  • This may be the only Simpsons set in 2014, with a Simpsons CMF series (71007?) to go with it.

Comparison from the show:
1GLybzT.jpg

It's the Simpsons house alright, not sure what else they could have done but it looks very uninspired.

Ryuuroden

I really don't know what to think of it. I want it because its a house but looking at the pieces, I can get a lot of them much cheaper with modular and creator sets for a lower price. I am starting to lean toward not getting it and using the money to buy another Parisian restaurant and more. It might be different if it was a new color of bricks.

Kryten

Whoa, after yesterdays rant about the price of Modulars here in NZ, I woke up to an email from an online retailer offering Palace Cinema for $90 off! (that's $179NZD, or $148USD).

DEAL ACCEPTED.

Top Bottom