• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

chimster

9f1Kl4f.jpg

may the 4th promo perhaps?

Ryuuroden

The two biggest backlogs are Star Wars and CITY, which are in the shelves that I posted. The rest of the themes combined (minus Dino & Pharaoh) will manage to fit in a third shelf - I just need to go purchase one.

I also have the sets hiding under my build space, but most of those are modulars and the like that I had taken apart, that I now want to build again since I have the room.

I've also got two 70 quart storage tubs that are filled with sets I had removed from their boxes (to conserve space) and put into individual zip-loc bags. Most of those have never been built, so I think they would also count as backlog. I probably want to get those out of the bags sooner than later, as I've heard that storing bricks long-term in zip-loc can be harmful.

I have multiple unopened sets in ziplock bags and they were left in the lego bags so if you do it that way it is probably not an issue. I just transfered all the sets out of their boxes to pack up better in moving boxes.

mojiimbo

I've also got two 70 quart storage tubs that are filled with sets I had removed from their boxes (to conserve space) and put into individual zip-loc bags. Most of those have never been built, so I think they would also count as backlog. I probably want to get those out of the bags sooner than later, as I've heard that storing bricks long-term in zip-loc can be harmful.
How so? Zip-locs and $1 Sterilite plastic boxes are my favorite dirt cheap way of organizing sets. :(

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Just picked up a PAB cup and the new restaurant modular for $34. Cashed in my $120 in VIP points. Now to walk around the mall with my wife, go to IKEA to look for those tables ghostmind posted and a 3 hour drive home. I'll tackle this modular next week. Building R2D2 at the moment.

ghostmind

How so? Zip-locs and $1 Sterilite plastic boxes are my favorite dirt cheap way of organizing sets. :(

I cannot remember where I had read about storing LEGO in ziplocs, as it had been a while ago. Did some quick looking around this morning, and there doesn't seem to be an issue, with some people saying they've had sets in ziploc for years without issue.

ghostmind

Ahh... first 150 people who spend over US$154 at one particular TRU tomorrow morning will randomly get either TC-4, Vader or white Boba Fett. I'd love to say I won't be there tomorrow, because I'm totally broke, but...

Chrome Vader goes for about $100 these days. White Boba more around $60.

ghostmind

The Star Wars 2014 1H wave will not be out (in North America) until March 1st, as LEGO wants to give some breathing room for the LEGO Movie sets.

ghostmind

Season 3 (or 4, depending on how you look at it) of Ninjago will debut on January 29th on Cartoon Network. So far I've heard that there will be 8 episodes, which will cover the new "Rebooted" storyline.

If anyone here lives in the Cincinnati area, the LEGO Store there has 1x1 light grey round tile pieces which I need a small container of and it shows having the darker green large tree leaf elements. It they are really the mid green or dark green ones (not the light green) then I am also looking for a large container of those. The tree limb elements come in three shades of green as well as red.

Please private message me as well if they have those tree elements (not the palm leaf ones) and you are able to get any. The LEGO stores around me limits people to 5 PAB cubs.
Much appreciated!

I'm on my way out to the Cincinnati Lego Store. PM me what you're looking for (maybe with pics? I don't want to get it wrong) and how much and I'll see what I can do.

Rootbeer

Banned
When I was at the LEGO store on Thursday, the guy there told me they get new shipments Monday. I neglected to ask if that means the new items will be there when they open (usually 10am), or later in the day? Anyone know this? I know we have some LEGO store people here :)

This matters to me because I get off work at 8am on Mondays, the only reasonable time for me to make the trip is at that time. As I have to sleep in the evenings so I guess I'd have to try on Tuesdays if they get them later in the day.

Ponn

Banned
Okay so really like Lego Kitty. Really neat techniques and all the pieces were put to great use. Solid feeling build, really poseable. There was at least one piece i'm sure I haven't seen before so not sure if its new or not but several black and white pieces of it

Well here it is

Now get that mouse!

Heres a closer up of the face so you can see all the detail put in it.

Really want the monkey set now. Hope they continue these $20 animal sets, so far they are really good.

Okay so really like Lego Kitty. Really neat techniques and all the pieces were put to great use. Solid feeling build, really poseable. There was at least one piece i'm sure I haven't seen before so not sure if its new or not but several black and white pieces of it

Well here it is

Now get that mouse!

Heres a closer up of the face so you can see all the detail put in it.

Really want the monkey set now. Hope they continue these $20 animal sets, so far they are really good.
The side anchor piece is not new altogether, but it is the first time I have seen it in black. The piece was all over Galaxy Squad, and was in the UCS B Wing a lot. Watch the unveiling video of the B Wing and the guy talks about the part. It is a very, very cool piece and so useful.

shadow29

Neo Member
So I ended up with 150 for amazon after the holidays are all said and done. Alas I wish I had this cash when things were actually on sale. Sigh.

So I ended up with 150 for amazon after the holidays are all said and done. Alas I wish I had this cash when things were actually on sale. Sigh.

I noticed all the price went up really high on Amazon, even Amazon Warehouse deal with "used" items, price on some of the hard to get stuffs are just insane. I am sure they figure that people will have a lot of gift cards to spend.

Well this week due to holidays in the middle of the week, it's been hard for me to adjust back to day schedule and another sleepless night meant more backlog being work on. Last night I decided on set 75016 the Homing Spider Droid. I don't have the original version from 2008 so I don't know what changes are but from what I have seen picture on-line they looks very similar with the new version has better details and more SNOT work on the droid body.

LEGO OG-9 Homing Spider Droid by antiquegamer, on Flickr

The redone Spider Droid (OG-9 Homing Spider Walker) uses the SNOT work similar to the new Sith Infiltrator and looks much better than the original. I love the new "eyes" and improve laser cannons. The top part of the droid can be rotate and works really well.

The legs construction used mostly Technic pieces and the Spider Walker Droid is very wobbly, but I am not sure what else LEGO designer could do unless they went with "fixed" position legs which would limited the poses. While the legs can be wobbly, once you position them they do stay up just fine. I am not OT purist and I love all things Star Wars but some of the designs from the prequel are just plain silly and this is one of them. The idea of this Spider Walker Droid is that the legs would allow it to move swiftly and adjust up and down to take out enemy's vehicles but it just seems terrible to have that skinny little legs on the battlefield full of lasers fire and cannon shells.

The set comes with rare Jedi Stass Allie but the rest are common figures (new Clone Trooper and two Super Battle Droids). LEGO also included brick build DSD-1 or Dwarf Spider Droid. The model used many standard pieces which is nice but I don't think it looks anything like the movie version.

Overall, it's not a bad set especially for $29.99 (usually less with sale), the Spider Walker is nice and big and if you love The Attack of the Clones then last year LEGO actually released good assortments to recreate the Battle of Geonosis. The set make me want to go build that AT-TE I also have sitting in my backlog. May be tonight if I can't sleep again.

ghostmind

Seems like they are doing a lot of these animals this year. Don't forget about the Creator polybag Kitty coming up, the Valentine's Bear, the Easter Bunny, and I'm sure more holiday animals to come.

Ponn

Banned
The side anchor piece is not new altogether, but it is the first time I have seen it in black. The piece was all over Galaxy Squad, and was in the UCS B Wing a lot. Watch the unveiling video of the B Wing and the guy talks about the part. It is a very, very cool piece and so useful.

Oh, I only put the Eradicator mech together so far, haven't got to Bug Obliterator yet so maybe I will see them there. Yea there were several white and black versions of that piece in this set.

Well if you are interested in the Movie sets you pick up almost of all them in one swoop. Or get several of the Forest Animals sets and make a monkey army throwing bananas with a toucan armada waiting in the wings.

Seems like they are doing a lot of these animals this year. Don't forget about the Creator polybag Kitty coming up, the Valentine's Bear, the Easter Bunny, and I'm sure more holiday animals to come.

I'm glad they released that bear before I made my S@H order so I added that to my cart. These Creator $20 sets are a really nice value. I almost want to get a couple and give them to some people I know that have shown some interest to maybe get their feet wet. I already know whats going to happen when I put the kitty and mouse on my desk monday. Hoping they continue this $20 Creator line of them and maybe have some more variety like a Ferret set or marine animals.

Thinking of making a big purchase.

After getting the DeLorean for Christmas it rejuvenated my interest in Lego.

I'm thinking either the VW Camper or the Parisian Restaurant.

Are these easily available at the Lego store? I might take a drive to the one near me on Monday.

Are these easily available at the Lego store? I might take a drive to the one near me on Monday.
VW Camper. It is older so will be gone first. And is a damn fine set.

shadow29

Neo Member
$150? That could buy a modular. :)

Buy the Haunted House

Well if you are interested in the Movie sets you pick up almost of all them in one swoop. Or get several of the Forest Animals sets and make a monkey army throwing bananas with a toucan armada waiting in the wings..

Well the only Modular I don't own is the Town hall, not really something I want though. I have the Haunted House too, got that with Triple VIP time.

I'd pick up the movie sets, but if I'm going to buy it MSRP I figure I may as well just go to the Lego Store and support them instead. There are usually sets I don't really want enough to pay for, Like the TMNT sets, that I'd like with the gift cards. I only really want the minifigs so to me it seems like a "waste" to spend my money on the whole set. So the Gift Cards are usually a good way to get past this mental block of mine. Damn my mental hangups.

If only I could transfer the gift card to the Lego Store or paypal. There's alot of old sets I'd like to buy off bricklink, or with the money plus my VIP stuff I could get the Death star for less than 150.

As Phonciplebone stated, VW Camper is older and may be hard to find. Get that first. Parisian Restaurant is a must get too, but be warned, you may want to get the other modulars.

"... it rejuvenated my interest in Lego."
It begins...

As Phonciplebone stated, VW Camper is older and may be hard to find. Get that first. Parisian Restaurant is a must get too, but be warned, you may want to get the other modulars.

"... it rejuvenated my interest in Lego."
It begins...

I do like the architecture sets as well. I have the Space Needle. I wish I bought Brandenburg Gate from Amazon a few months ago it was only $20 instead of $45

I was out today and nearly bought one of the Lego Movie sets. I was split between the garbage truck one and the ice cream truck.

shadow29

Neo Member
You own all the modulars, except the Town Hall?

You gotta complete that collection man... my inner OCD is freaking out!

Oups, I should have said all that's currently out. My inner OCD would have completed it well before the Parisian came out this week.

Rootbeer

Banned
I don't get why they are doing another SW interceptor so soon... it's a cool looking ship though and I do like it in yellow. So far I think I'm only in for the Grievous one, mostly for the minifigs

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Today's Haul:

11765495275_6a532085f8_c.jpg

They had a good amount of clear blue 1x2 like Phon got on his trip. No white 1x8s however. They had 2x2 round pillar whites and clear blues that I loaded up on. The olive cheese slopes and I got a lot of fence. I also got a good bit of 1x1 green pieces. I haven't really seen the color before so I grabbed a bunch of those.

Went to IKEA afterwards and found the tables Ghostmind had posted about. Bought 3 to see how they would work. They fit alright where I plan on setting up my office/LEGO room. Computer in one corner and LEGO on the other side. Pardon the mess. Work in progress. I will take more photos later once complete.
11765489085_5b9f3047f6_c.jpg

11765893984_6577501caa_c.jpg

ghostmind

The legs construction used mostly Technic pieces and the Spider Walker Droid is very wobbly, but I am not sure what else LEGO designer could do unless they went with "fixed" position legs which would limited the poses. While the legs can be wobbly, once you position them they do stay up just fine. I am not OT purist and I love all things Star Wars but some of the designs from the prequel are just plain silly and this is one of them. The idea of this Spider Walker Droid is that the legs would allow it to move swiftly and adjust up and down to take out enemy's vehicles but it just seems terrible to have that skinny little legs on the battlefield full of lasers fire and cannon shells.

If you want, replace the technic pins on the legs with the black ones (if you have extras from other sets), and it will be a bit more sturdy, as the black pins provide more friction.

ghostmind

Today's Haul:

11765495275_6a532085f8_c.jpg

They had a good amount of clear blue 1x2 like Phon got on his trip. No white 1x8s however. They had 2x2 round pillar whites and clear blues that I loaded up on. The olive cheese slopes and I got a lot of fence. I also got a good bit of 1x1 green pieces. I haven't really seen the color before so I grabbed a bunch of those.

Went to IKEA afterwards and found the tables Ghostmind had posted about. Bought 3 to see how they would work. They fit alright where I plan on setting up my office/LEGO room. Computer in one corner and LEGO on the other side. Pardon the mess. Work in progress. I will take more photos later once complete.

0BijWjI.jpg

mojiimbo

When I was at the LEGO store on Thursday, the guy there told me they get new shipments Monday. I neglected to ask if that means the new items will be there when they open (usually 10am), or later in the day? Anyone know this? I know we have some LEGO store people here :)

This matters to me because I get off work at 8am on Mondays, the only reasonable time for me to make the trip is at that time. As I have to sleep in the evenings so I guess I'd have to try on Tuesdays if they get them later in the day.
It probably varies by store but at the one here some stuff will be on the floor first thing Monday morning but it isn't until Tuesday morning when it's fully stocked.

Ryuuroden

11765489085_5b9f3047f6_c.jpg

11765893984_6577501caa_c.jpg

nice, Ghostmind gonna start another trend, cause I already bookmarked those tables as well for future.

Rootbeer

Banned
It probably varies by store but at the one here some stuff will be on the floor first thing Monday morning but it isn't until Tuesday morning when it's fully stocked.

Ahh alright, huh, well... i guess i'll try my luck tues first then ask them what monday mornings are like

Draxal

Man, I'm really glad Lego doesn't have the license to release Star Wars CMF because I think I would spend way too much on it.

Top Bottom