• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

ghostmind

A comment from Marcos Bessa:

My newest LEGO D2C. The Simpsons House! I've been a huge fan of The Simpsons since I was a kid and I was thrilled when I heard that we got the license for it! Fortunately I got my hands on the chance of actually working on this little beauty! :)
I designed the whole model, including the car (with supervision of the car master Adam Grabowsky, a.k.a. misterzumbi). The wonderful figures were created by Gitte Thorsen (one of our amazing sculpturs) and Chris B. Johansen (the Graphic designer responsible also for all the decorations and stickers).

You may remember Adam Grabowsky as the designer of the Haunted House.

ghostmind

We've got a busy news-filled month-and-a-half ahead of us!

Jan 11th - set reveal from BrickFair Alabama
Jan 21st - London Toy Fair (possible first look at upcoming sets)
Jan 29th - Nürnberg Toy Fair (another possible look at upcoming sets)
Feb 1st - The Simpsons House available from S@H and LEGO stores
Feb 6th - The LEGO Movie arrives in theaters! (full release on the 7th)
Feb 15th - possible set reveal
Feb 16th - New York Toy Fair (full coverage of upcoming sets)
Feb 17th - Unnamed D2C set available for VIPs from S@H and LEGO stores

ruxtpin

Banned
Still working on how I want to display of everything, but I've got space ready for 2 new modulars... And I'm hoping I can fit the Death Star on the top middle space.

11844696054_929fb87cfc.jpg

11844282165_a0f6a2042c.jpg

11845082246_b944bd3939.jpg

11844710014_c54d4ae940.jpg

11844576563_427ffdb03d.jpg

11844273885_d27485d48e.jpg

Still working on how I want to display of everything, but I've got space ready for 2 new modulars... And I'm hoping I can fit the Death Star on the top middle space.

Nice setup. Man, they look so small from a distance and placed next to other large sets.

X2KDdT3s.gif

ruxtpin

Banned
is there a solution to all the dust that builds up on legos? It is so annoying, it takes away the shine of new lego.

I watched a video on YT about AFOLs and there was a point where they showed a guy using a really - really - soft bristled paint brush on a large display model. I've been meaning to pick one up. Could easily be maneuvered into tight spots and in-between studs.

mojiimbo

The rumors so far are:

Homer, Marge, Lisa, Bart, Chief Wiggum, Apu, Itchy and Scratchy, Moe, Ned and Maggie.

Of course that leaves 5 more characters - plus some of these may have been confusion between what is included with the house set.
Hopefully those versions won't look so "sleepy."

Since you are waiting, you should set a watch on Amazon for the sets you want to see if they go over 20% off. You never know, you may get lucky and find some of those sets for close to 30% off.

You need to describe what your interests are. Welcome to your wallets doom.

Haha. Me too. I have ALL of them and only planned on 2-3 of the small sets. Sales on the bigger sets were too good to pass up.

Where's Dr. Forrester? He should be all over you for not mixing the bags. :) I enjoy sorting, but not when I build.

Ugh, stop tempting me. If I had to choose between these 3, which would is the best?

- UCS R2-D2
- UCS Red Five X-Wing
- UCS Ewok Village

Well, I would love to do all 3.... But I really like the R2D2. It was a ton of fun, and the display gets tons of complements.

Ugh, stop tempting me. If I had to choose between these 3, which would is the best?

- UCS R2-D2
- UCS Red Five X-Wing
- UCS Ewok Village

That is tough. Of those, the Red Five X-Wing is the weakest of the bunch, but don't take that as saying the set is bad. It is like deciding between a 9.98 and a 9.99 on the rating scale.

Now, between R2 and Ewok Village? Ehhhh. I don't know really. R2 is an awesome and compact display model, but Ewok Village is a bit more epic in size and scope and has TONS of play features that make setting up a display so much fun.

Do you own all three and are debating about which to build first, or are you debating about which to buy? If it is debating about purchasing, then it is R2 all the way. He is closing in on two years soon, so he will probably be the first to go.

We have seen the pics of that tower MOC in the middle there. I want pics of those other MOCs around the bottom shelves.

ruxtpin

Banned
We have seen the pics of that tower MOC in the middle there. I want pics of those other MOCs around the bottom shelves.

Ah, the bottom shelf is just some Galaxy Squad stuff that I can't decide what to do with. I'm working out some plans in my mind for a couple of custom modulars and a new medieval tower, but with how slow I build who knows when those will get done. On a shelf on the opposite side of the room I've got the recent Falcon and Tatooine related sets (Jabba's barge and skiff, Luke's landspeeder, escape pod and rancor pit).

Ah, the bottom shelf is just some Galaxy Squad stuff that I can't decide what to do with. I'm working out some plans in my mind for a couple of custom modulars and a new medieval tower, but with how slow I build who knows when those will get done. On a shelf on the opposite side of the room I've got the recent Falcon and Tatooine related sets (Jabba's barge and skiff, Luke's landspeeder, escape pod and rancor pit).

I am referring to the thing on the shelf under the 4x4 crawler, Quinjet, and VW Camper. It looks like a building of some sort.

ruxtpin

Banned
Ohhh haha, nah - in order...

Tupperware bowls with loose pieces
Couple of blank baseplates
Storage container with dividers for sorted pieces

jpatez34

Neo Member
I watched a video on YT about AFOLs and there was a point where they showed a guy using a really - really - soft bristled paint brush on a large display model. I've been meaning to pick one up. Could easily be maneuvered into tight spots and in-between studs.

I totally agree with the soft bristle paint brush. I use one myself and it's by far the easiest way to remove dust from my LEGO sets. I end up dusting down my collection at least once a month.

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
I popped over to the LEGO Store today to fill up my Holiday Pick-A-Brick box. For those unfamiliar with the promo--and forgive me if this has been discussed previously in the thread--a month or so back the stores gave away a small-ish (3.5" cube) cardboard box if you spent $75. You return with the box sometime between 12/26 and sometime in March to fill it up with bricks from the Pick-A-Brick wall.

This was my first time tackling the PAB wall, and I wanted to make sure I got as many bricks as I could. I think I came out OK. I didn't have any specific projects in mind. I just wanted to get a nice variety of bricks.

Here's my box jammed packed with bricks.

7zlkJQMl.jpg

And here's what I crammed into it.

xD9gNJ9.jpg

In total, I ended up with 733 pieces. Standing in the store connecting pieces together and carefully positioning them into the box was a bit tedious, but man was it ever worth it. Out of curiosity, I did a rough comparison of how many pieces I could fit in the box by just randomly tossing them in there versus connecting/organizing them. It turns out that I could bit about 300 or so bricks into the box unsorted. Leaving me, of course, about 400 bricks short if I didn't take the time to organize my haul.

So yeah, pretty pleased with myself. I also snagged the last Movie Minifig that I needed (the mermaid) and I picked up the LEGO Movie Bad Cop's Pursuit set. Really fantastic little set. The hover police car looking outstanding, and the hidden laser guns on the sides are such a fun little action feature.

ghostmind

And here's what I crammed into it.

xD9gNJ9.jpg

In total, I ended up with 733 pieces. Standing in the store connecting pieces together and carefully positioning them into the box was a bit tedious, but man was it ever worth it. Out of curiosity, I did a rough comparison of how many pieces I could fit in the box by just randomly tossing them in there versus connecting/organizing them. It turns out that I could bit about 300 or so bricks into the box unsorted. Leaving me, of course, about 400 bricks short if I didn't take the time to organize my haul.

So yeah, pretty pleased with myself. I also snagged the last Movie Minifig that I needed (the mermaid) and I picked up the LEGO Movie Bad Cop's Pursuit set. Really fantastic little set. The hover police car looking outstanding, and the hidden laser guns on the sides are such a fun little action feature.

Oooooo... I like all the colors! My PAB never seems to be that interesting. I've got one of those boxes to fill, so I'll probably fill it up on Feb. 1st, when I go to pick up the Simpsons House.

Rootbeer

Banned
I popped over to the LEGO Store today to fill up my Holiday Pick-A-Brick box. [...]
impressive amount you can fit in there using stacking. wish i had the time. Well, good chance I will hit the LEGO store again today and it shouldn't be as busy in there this time. i may spend a bit more time and see how much i can fit in some small LEGO containers

i'm at work now. researching stacking guides. :p

The PAB selection at my store had been pretty bad outside of foliage. I think today I'll finally throw something together with all the leaves I got a few weeks ago.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
ahh, that's cool. I read someone on eurobricks found the torso too.

This was in the Manchester Arndale store in the UK by the way, if anyone's nearby and wants to check it out. I was back visiting family and took advantage of not having my girlfriend giving me disapproving looks as I rifled through for about half an hour, haha. Haven't checked anywhere else.

So, I'm thinking of switching hobbies from Magic: The Gathering to building Legos due to the fact that all of my friends stopped playing and Legos used to be something I loved as a kid. I was wondering if anyone could point me in a direction towards some of the more fun sets to build so I could start to keep an eye out on them. Since I loved the Back to the Future movies I've ordered the Delorean as a starter to make sure I'm intereted in it. Hope to be seeing all of you more soon!

You will go broke faster than playing Magic the Gathering. Especially if you hang around in here. I agree with others if you do not have specific theme in mind then Creator series have great all around sets from 4.99 set up to $99.99 like Sopwith Camel or you can get into 150+ range like Modular. I just picked up the Emerald Express and for 4.99, it's a cool little set that can get your toe wet.

LEGO Creator 3in1 Emerald Express by antiquegamer, on Flickr

Rootbeer

Banned
yup really love that train. i only have 1, but i want to get 2 more so i can build and have all 3 segments at once. at 4.99 each it's worth it.

Martheron

You will go broke faster than playing Magic the Gathering. Especially if you hang around in here. I agree with other if you do not have specific theme in mind then Creator series have great all around sets from 4.99 set up to set Sopwith Camel. I just picked up the Emerald Express and for 4.99, it's a cool little set that can get your toe wet.

Yeah, so I see. I'm not planning to go crazy with it, I didn't magic either but with my friends dropping out it'd be nice to have something relaxing to do everyone once in a while. Maybe buy a new small-ish set once a month or so and just relax and put it together. I bought a few small things ( Kai's Fire Mech and a Marvel set with Venom in it just because I love Venom). Once the Delorean comes in I'll probably be good till I see something I really like. The monster set looks really cool but besides that I'd really like something Space-ish.

Edit: Forgot to say, the only reason I got Kai's Mech was becuase I heard it was nice. I enjoyed it a lot aside from the stickers. I'm not good with getting them on the mark and it kind of messes with my small ammount of OCD. Are stickers a normal thing now?

rataven

Just scored a great deal on The Lord of the Rings: Pirate Ship Ambush at Target -- $49.98 clearance. My local Target very rarely marks Lego down, so that made my morning!

And I think, other than Tower of Orthanc which seems to be backordered, that should complete the whole LotRs line for me, so now I just need a whole weekend free to bust out the extended editions and get to building.

rallaren

I love these release announcements with only weeks between each other. So refreshing compared to gaming where it's literally years of waiting. Since gaming has been the only consistent hobby in my life up until a few years ago this little lego interest is pure bliss.

Rootbeer

Banned
Just scored a great deal on The Lord of the Rings: Pirate Ship Ambush at Target -- $49.98 clearance. My local Target very rarely marks Lego down, so that made my morning!

And I think, other than Tower of Orthanc which seems to be backordered, that should complete the whole LotRs line for me, so now I just need a whole weekend free to bust out the extended editions and get to building.
Amazing deal. I'll be checking target today!

Yeah, so I see. I'm not planning to go crazy with it, I didn't magic either but with my friends dropping out it'd be nice to have something relaxing to do everyone once in a while. Maybe buy a new small-ish set once a month or so and just relax and put it together. I bought a few small things ( Kai's Fire Mech and a Marvel set with Venom in it just because I love Venom). Once the Delorean comes in I'll probably be good till I see something I really like. The monster set looks really cool but besides that I'd really like something Space-ish.

Edit: Forgot to say, the only reason I got Kai's Mech was becuase I heard it was nice. I enjoyed it a lot aside from the stickers. I'm not good with getting them on the mark and it kind of messes with my small ammount of OCD. Are stickers a normal thing now?

Stickers have always been around. They had them in the 70's too, but they are more prevalent now if it helps make the overall model look better.

I almost never put stickers on because I like to reuse my bricks. Most of the time the model looks good without the stickers, but the stickers definitely give it a very polished detailed look.

There are a lot of $25 and under sets that are cool. Creator sets are nice because you can have 3 builds for the price of 1. Also, they have a lot of pieces for you to make your own stuff. I find that the $20 super hero sets are very good value if you like the minifigs and the actual build.

I really liked the Galaxy Squad theme, but bugs and colorful power ranger like minifigs weren't some peoples thing. Try out the $12ish set. You get a nice little bug ship.

EDIT:

Galaxy Squad ad photo bomb

Eeewww! Which is the front end? #brickcentral_alien by Bent Bricks, on Flickr

Safety saves lives. Wear a helmet, buckle up, wear a glove, etc. by Bent Bricks, on Flickr

Trojan Basket by Bent Bricks, on Flickr

It's good to be in charge. by Bent Bricks, on Flickr

Well, I would love to do all 3.... But I really like the R2D2. It was a ton of fun, and the display gets tons of complements.

That is tough. Of those, the Red Five X-Wing is the weakest of the bunch, but don't take that as saying the set is bad. It is like deciding between a 9.98 and a 9.99 on the rating scale.

Now, between R2 and Ewok Village? Ehhhh. I don't know really. R2 is an awesome and compact display model, but Ewok Village is a bit more epic in size and scope and has TONS of play features that make setting up a display so much fun.

Do you own all three and are debating about which to build first, or are you debating about which to buy? If it is debating about purchasing, then it is R2 all the way. He is closing in on two years soon, so he will probably be the first to go.

You need all of them, but R2 will be the one that goes OOP first, so get him first.

I'm trying to start budgeting because there's simply too many LEGO sets I want. The problem is all 3 UCS sets are sets I would like but they add up. I want all the modulars available, but I will skip Town Hall because I'm 4 modulars behind.

I guess I'll do R2-D2. I have the most recent retail X-Wing so I can probably live without the UCS X-Wing. If 2015 is a bad LEGO set year I can get Ewok village.

I guess R2-D2 is top of UCS Star Wars list now. Thanks guys.

Rootbeer

Banned
Wow the pick a brick wall was absolutely dreadful today. Nearly half the tubs empty. Other half looked about the same as last time. Lots of bricks I doubt I'd use or have tons of. Oh well, can't win em all. Got the minifigs I was missing though. Also got vampire hearse for $20. Haunted house would be nicer but I gotta save for other sets.

leng jai

So apparently my Parisian Restaurant was posted on the 7th via eParcel Express. Not sure how express it actually is. Can't believe it takes them a week to process an order of 1 item.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
How early do they usually put stuff up for sale on the online store? Simpsons house hits day before my Birthday and thinking I'm going to get it to treat myself. Can I pre-order? Or is it better to just go and pick it up at a LEGO store?

Top Bottom