• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

R-User!

Simpsons house only $200 and on Feb 1st? wow... okay, guess it's day 1 for me. Thought it would not only cost more but be out later. I think they are going to move well at that Price.

I will also be on the lookout for that Pyjamas Emmet since I don't own the CMF Pyjama Guy.

I hoping that price is true too; I'd rather pay 200 than 250.

neonglow

FRO6wkD.jpg

Is this real? Maybe... that face looks new.

Here's Sleepyhead for comparison:

8827-3.jpg

wetwired

The CUUSOO Mars Science Rover is now backordered on S@H until March 11th!

In other S@H news:

Lone Ranger theme is done... there may be a few Comanche Camp sets still available, but that is it.
Monster Fighters is being kept alive by the Vampyre Hearse... and the Haunted House of course, but I think once the Hearse is gone they will move the HH to just the "Hard to Find" category.
Jabba's Palace has returned from the dead, and should be shipping sets on January 20th.
Droid Escape is sold out, which sucks for anyone wanting to pair it up with the upcoming Sandcrawler.

Nooooo, I wanted that train

jpatez34

Neo Member
Shout out to the UK LEGO Customer Service Team.
Opened a Series 11 CMF and found that it had no head, CS send me a "angry" head as a replacement AND 2 LEGO Movie CMF'S as well! Double bonus is that both packs are different figures and no duplicates.
Outstanding!

Martheron

So, I'm thinking of switching hobbies from Magic: The Gathering to building Legos due to the fact that all of my friends stopped playing and Legos used to be something I loved as a kid. I was wondering if anyone could point me in a direction towards some of the more fun sets to build so I could start to keep an eye out on them. Since I loved the Back to the Future movies I've ordered the Delorean as a starter to make sure I'm intereted in it. Hope to be seeing all of you more soon!

So, I'm thinking of switching hobbies from Magic: The Gathering to building Legos due to the fact that all of my friends stopped playing and Legos used to be something I loved as a kid. I was wondering if anyone could point me in a direction towards some of the more fun sets to build so I could start to keep an eye out on them. Since I loved the Back to the Future movies I've ordered the Delorean as a starter to make sure I'm intereted in it. Hope to be seeing all of you more soon!

The OT has many suggestions.
I would say go with Creator sets, they give you the most bang for the buck, 3 different instructions for 3 different builds.
Also they offer a wide range to suit all wallet sizes from 5$ upwards.
Enjoy and welcome to best GAF!

Check the OP for a list of stuff I love, and broken down into price points too.

Are you looking for cheaper sets to get your feet wet, or are you diving in head first and want something crazy to start with?

ruxtpin

Banned

Just go ahead and drop $400 on the Death Star. ;)

Martheron

Check the OP for a list of stuff I love, and broken down into price points too.

Are you looking for cheaper sets to get your feet wet, or are you diving in head first and want something crazy to start with?

I'm really just looking to get my feet wet at the moment, nothing too crazy but bigger is always better.....

Just go ahead and drop $400 on the Death Star. ;)

Might do it once I have the money, but to be honest I'm not the biggest Star Wars fan. That R2-D2 though....

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Shout out to the UK LEGO Customer Service Team.
Opened a Series 11 CMF and found that it had no head, CS send me a "angry" head as a replacement AND 2 LEGO Movie CMF'S as well! Double bonus is that both packs are different figures and no duplicates.
Outstanding!

That's awesome. LEGO CS seems to have a real handle on how to keep people happy and loving the brand. Just out of interest, which S11 CMF was missing the head?

How did you like the Silver Mine Shootout?

The first few bags have definitely been interesting but I haven't formed an overall opinion yet. I have taken some shots and I'll post them when I'm finished.

One thing I have done on the last few builds is to not mix the bags. Ever since my return to LEGO I've just mixed everything by default....but I found it a bit exhausting after a while. I've really enjoyed myself more this way...I guess I don't really like the "hunt" after all.

I'm really just looking to get my feet wet at the moment, nothing too crazy but bigger is always better.....

Might do it once I have the money, but to be honest I'm not the biggest Star Wars fan. That R2-D2 though....

I have the R2D2 and it was so much fun to put together. It looks great displayed as well!

Draxal

Use the OP as a guide, and then expand from there, and then I'd focus on what you want personally.

For me I love Star Wars especially the big ships and I'd take other similiar big ships (Quinjet/Bug Obliterator), but space is a premium for me so I avoid the modulars.

Spent like 25 mins feeling through an entire BOX of movie packs :/ settled on 4.

2x Shakespeare (only wanted one, but as I neared the end of the box I found another so kept it for trades)
1x bad cop (misfeel, sigh. I now have 4 of 'em)
1x emmet (yay, sorta love his double sided head and the cool head/hair piece)

NO abe lincoln. You'd think feeling for the hat would be easy. Well, that's the problem. It's easy for EVERYONE to find. the misfeel I thought was either mermaid or cat lady, i was so sure. I don't know what happened. Maybe i picked up the wrong pack from the ones I set aside.

I swear most of the box were the robots, the packs had obviously been sifted through somewhat. This was at TRU btw.

I just need cat lady, mermaid and honest abe then i'm done. i just get stressed out feeling the packs, there's always tons of people around i have anxiety :x

I usually go to the store early in the morning, if you have Fred Myers they are awesome. The store I go to usually have plenty of fresh boxes when series become available and in the morning no one is around to give you weird looks. I found so many Abe and Panda Suit guy this morning. The hardest one for me to find was the cat lady. I was trying to feel for the cat but end up felt for her hair piece. Mermaid is really easy just feel for her tail. If you still need them and don't mind shipping and Washington tax I can get them for you. I have been pretty lucky and got all the one I wanted without any duplicate.

LEGO The LEGO Movie Minifigures by antiquegamer, on Flickr

rallaren

8630 Gold Hunt is built. Cool set with a fighter jet that is sort of rare when it comes to lego as far as i know. I also like the gold bricks. The car is ok. The Agents line is just awesome. I have also learnt that used sets is not my thing unless they are in very good condition. This one is probably in good condition for something it seems kids have played with.

Ryuuroden

As someone else recommended, I will as well recommend the creator sets. There are a variety of types of sets at different prices to choose from and they have multiple builds in each one. They also provide a large number of pieces that you can use to build your own creations. The bricks they are built with are much more versatile then say what you get with star wars sets. Creator sets are also probably the next surest type of set after exclusives that display well. After starting with creator sets you should get a better idea of what you are looking for.

ghostmind

I saw a bunch of those trains still at walmart a week ago but they were not discounted

There are still a lot of the Lone Ranger sets in the retail channel - Amazon still has about half the line for less than MSRP, but there are signs that this is starting to dry up.

ghostmind

Press Release

The LEGO Group Announces Partnership With Twentieth Century Fox Consumer Products To Launch LEGO® And THE SIMPSONS Branded Merchandise

Construction Set and Minifigure Series Based on the Popular Show Available Beginning February 2014

Products To Coincide With LEGO-Themed Simpsons Episode, Airing May 2014 on FOX

BILLUND, Denmark, Jan. 8, 2014 /PRNewswire/ — The LEGO Group today announced a new partnership with Twentieth Century Fox Consumer Products to produce a construction set and licensed LEGO® minifigures inspired by the iconic television series, THE SIMPSONS. In addition, FOX is scheduled to air a special LEGO episode of THE SIMPSONS in May 2014 featuring Springfield and its cast of characters in LEGO form.

Scheduled to launch this February in LEGO stores and via the LEGO Shop at Home catalog and website, the construction set will recreate the iconic Simpsons family house in LEGO form. Also included in the LEGO and THE SIMPSONS construction set is the entire family: Homer, Marge, Bart, Lisa and Maggie along with neighbor Ned Flanders. A separate line of 16 LEGO THE SIMPSONS minifigures will launch in all mass toy retailers in May 2014.

“We are thrilled to collaborate with Fox during the 25th anniversary year of the Simpsons,” said Jill Wilfert, vice president licensing & entertainment at The LEGO Group. “We know our fans will love the challenge of building the Simpsons’ family home in great detail and the ability to collect quintessential characters in LEGO minifigure form will let them showcase their love of the show in a whole new way. We are also excited that THE SIMPSONS will be created in LEGO form, truly bringing this partnership to life.”

“We are kicking off the 25th anniversary of THE SIMPSONS in a big way, and we think LEGO-loving fans of the show will be impressed with this collaboration that represents the best of both iconic worlds through the LEGO and THE SIMPSONS construction set, minifigures and LEGO-themed episode,” said Jeffrey Godsick, president of Twentieth Century Fox Consumer Products. “Our partnership with LEGO is the perfect addition to the range of product lines that will be introduced globally in celebration of this great milestone achievement in television history.”

Created by Matt Groening, THE SIMPSONS is the longest-running scripted show in TV history. Since premiering in December 1989, the series has become a cultural phenomenon, recognizable throughout the world. The show was named the “Best Show of the 20th Century” by Time Magazine, has won 28 Emmys and its theatrical short, “The Longest Daycare,” was nominated for a 2012 Oscar.

The LEGO THE SIMPSONS house will be available February 1st in LEGO retail outlets for $199.99 (USD). The line of LEGO THE SIMPSONS minfigures will launch in May 2014 in all major toy retailers for $3.99 (USD) each.

Designer video:

http://youtu.be/zxCIXqYaSPU

It's a Marcos Bessa set!

I'll put together the OT topic in a bit, once I have all the assets.

It makes sense that it's Marcos Bessa. Looking at the closeups, there are a lot of interesting piece uses such as the vacuum.

The video didn't go into any details of the house. Wonder if it was rushed out in response to the leak and a more detailed video will come later.

The most interesting thing is LEGO doing mixed color moulds. That's a whole new level! I wonder if that will be used extremely sparingly due to costs.

EDIT: Dat hot dog use! Clever!

Press Release

"The LEGO THE SIMPSONS house will be available February 1st in LEGO retail outlets for $199.99 (USD). The line of LEGO THE SIMPSONS minfigures will launch in May 2014 in all major toy retailers for $3.99 (USD) each"

The press release doesn't say "sets". Hopefully House and Simpsons CMFs will sell extremely well to warrant more sets.

R-User!

I'm glad that it did end up being 199.99. At that price I'll buy it! But I'll wait till later this year. Gotta get other sets first. Can't wait for impressions! :)

Rootbeer

Banned
Checked in with my LEGO store to see if they knew how many Simpsons houses they were getting, or they could ballpark it for me. They didn't know, and they said they won't even know till it actually arrives, but that they got a pretty good amount of Parisian Restaurants if that is any indication.

Also inquired about ordering entire minifig boxes through them. Sucks, the 16 fig per customer limit is enforced! Considering getting a whole Simpsons box for trades, they will probably be very valuable going forward (speculating, I know some will disagree. thinking long term here!)

Sea Cow right next to Simpsons house... very painful... there's also a lot of games coming out in Feb... I gotta plan carefully.

antiquegamer: thanks for your reply. I may hit you up if you are willing to sell and ship me 1x Mrs. Scratchen-Post (cat lady) and 1x Velma Staplebot. I will now shame myself by admitting I hunted for both of them today and had no luck. But I did find an Abe Lincoln. If you have both available that is.

*edit* wow Simpsons CMF are 3.99... hope they come with some nice accessories. clearly it's mostly the heads (plus licensing) inflating the cost, just hope we get a nice variety.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Has there been a confirmed list of all the Simpson CMFs?

The previous minifig designs so far have been a bit poo, but theres bound to be some decent figs/moulds in there? If not ill be more than happy with just the house.

Rootbeer

Banned
i love that they are finally painting arms, legs and feet. at least for this line. :) it really adds just the right amount of distinction to help set them apart and make them instantly identifiable.

homer just would not be the same with long sleeves.

ghostmind

Has there been a confirmed list of all the Simpson CMFs?

The previous minifig designs so far have been a bit poo, but theres bound to be some decent figs/moulds in there? If not ill be more than happy with just the house.

The rumors so far are:

Homer, Marge, Lisa, Bart, Chief Wiggum, Apu, Itchy and Scratchy, Moe, Ned and Maggie.

Of course that leaves 5 more characters - plus some of these may have been confusion between what is included with the house set.

The rumors so far are:

Homer, Marge, Lisa, Bart, Chief Wiggum, Apu, Itchy and Scratchy, Moe, Ned and Maggie.

Of course that leaves 5 more characters - plus some of these may have been confusion between what is included with the house set.

If there are 5 more
Mr. Burns
Krusty
Mr. Smithers
Bumblebee Man
Rev. Lovejoy

I'd love for them to go with a super rare CMF being Jebediah Springfield

i love that they are finally painting arms, legs and feet. at least for this line. :) it really adds just the right amount of distinction to help set them apart and make them instantly identifiable.

homer just would not be the same with long sleeves.

If I understood the LEGO video with Marcos explaining the set, those are NOT painted arms and legs. I believe they are two colored plastics moulded together. We've seen this in hairpieces and such, but not legs or arms.

Once I can buy again, I am all in for LEGO Movie stuff. Obviously Sea Cow and Benny's Spaceship Spaceship SPACESHIP! are priority. But I want them all.
After that, it is Simpson's House and whatever the May Star Wars UCS set is. As for regular SW sets, the only ones I am salivating over are the AT-AT and Star Destroyer.
Super hero sets should be out by then too, and I need the Hulk set just for Hulk, Thor and Taskmaster.
The one set from 2013 still on my buy list is Sydney Opera House. I NEED IT.

Since you are waiting, you should set a watch on Amazon for the sets you want to see if they go over 20% off. You never know, you may get lucky and find some of those sets for close to 30% off.

You need to describe what your interests are. Welcome to your wallets doom.

I had zero interest in LR and somehow ended up with 4/6 sets. No Showdown or Train. I'm a sucker for sales.

Haha. Me too. I have ALL of them and only planned on 2-3 of the small sets. Sales on the bigger sets were too good to pass up.

The first few bags have definitely been interesting but I haven't formed an overall opinion yet. I have taken some shots and I'll post them when I'm finished.

One thing I have done on the last few builds is to not mix the bags. Ever since my return to LEGO I've just mixed everything by default....but I found it a bit exhausting after a while. I've really enjoyed myself more this way...I guess I don't really like the "hunt" after all.

Where's Dr. Forrester? He should be all over you for not mixing the bags. :) I enjoy sorting, but not when I build.

I have the R2D2 and it was so much fun to put together. It looks great displayed as well!

Ugh, stop tempting me. If I had to choose between these 3, which would is the best?

- UCS R2-D2
- UCS Red Five X-Wing
- UCS Ewok Village

Rootbeer

Banned
If I understood the LEGO video with Marcos explaining the set, those are NOT painted arms and legs. I believe they are two colored plastics moulded together. We've seen this in hairpieces and such, but not legs or arms.

yes, as i understood it from the video it is different colored plastic not printed. i miswrote it. which btw makes it even more awesome.

Heartlake High for $35 anyone?

and I strongly considered getting this one for myself but it's just a bit more than I'd like to pay. So, maybe someone here would like the Hoth Wampa Cave for $50? Always interesting when some of these older sets pop up on warehousedeals out of the blue.

Finished the 21017 Imperial Hotel last night. Man, does it look amazing. One of those sets where pictures do not do it justice. The build was surprisingly fun given how symmetrical and blocky parts of it are.

I think I'm going to have to get some more Architecture sets now.

Top Bottom