• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

ghostmind

How early do they usually put stuff up for sale on the online store? Simpsons house hits day before my Birthday and thinking I'm going to get it to treat myself. Can I pre-order? Or is it better to just go and pick it up at a LEGO store?

It will go up for sale on S@H at midnight ET on the day of release.

If I have a choice, I usually go to the LEGO store to pick up the set, because then I can get it sooner, and without shipping hassles.

ghostmind

IFtux74.jpg

In all, I'm very satisfied with the Movie CMF series. With all the new parts, and prints, and colors, it ends up being one of stronger CMF series for me to-date. Of course there are a few weak entries, but as a whole this series is pretty great.

oddly, the Movie CMF series is probably with the least amount of wants for myself, but it's a really strong line.

Nice haul BTW. Going to try my hand at some MOC tonight with the stuff I brought from my PAB pickins a month ago.

Ok ... Dumb question, but where do collect the mini figs? I would like to start collecting the star wars mini figs.

For star wars, buy em individually from re-sellers off of amazon, the website bricklink.com (a secondhand lego website), ebay, etc. Or buy the whole set. Lego doesn't sell the figures individually. I think it's a legal thing- they can't sell figures alone because it steps on the toes of whoever makes the action figures of star wars characters. So, you gotta buy the box or buy em from other people.

ghostmind

Ah, you mean the collectible minifigs?

There have been 13 series of them so far - with the latest being the LEGO Movie series. Each series is 16 minifigs, except for an earlier Olympic series which had 9, and Series 10 which had 17.

They are sold at LEGO stores, Shop@Home, or most major stores in North America. They are sold in "blind bags", which means that unless you get good at "feeling the bags", you won't know what you are getting, and so you'll get lots of duplicates.

For this series, I actually bought them through Bricklink, which means I could pick the minifigs that I was getting, for a bit of a premium in price.

I should try and convince my local target to sell me their minifig display. They have like 30 or more starwars mini figs in a plastic case.

Either lego gave them that for the purpose of it being a display item and expects it to be returned someday, or some employee has already called dibs on that shit. But if you do luck out that'd be pretty sweet.

I should try and convince my local target to sell me their minifig display. They have like 30 or more starwars mini figs in a plastic case.

Those are usually glued to the base. Technically I think the stores are supposed to return them to LEGO Group, but I've seen a few sold on eBay. That was over a year ago and I haven't seen any recently.

On the bright side, I have more room after organizing my LEGO storage closet. Best Star is sitting on the table waiting for me clear out more shelf space so I can display it. I am not an addict.

WkVRTaJl.jpg

ruxtpin

Banned
On the bright side, I have more room after organizing my LEGO storage closet. Best Star is sitting on the table waiting for me clear out more shelf space so I can display it. I am not an addict.

http://i.imgur.com/WkVRTaJl.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

How did you sneak into my house and take a picture of my Lego closet?

hmmblah

IFtux74.jpg

In all, I'm very satisfied with the Movie CMF series. With all the new parts, and prints, and colors, it ends up being one of stronger CMF series for me to-date. Of course there are a few weak entries, but as a whole this series is pretty great.

Feeling them out was really easy this time around. Only one I wasn't certain of was the female robot with the clipboard. Knowing that the hairpiece flips up in the back would have been very helpful. I would have gone 16 for 16 if I wouldn't have started out with 12 randoms. Also, because I was at a k-mart, I only had like 4 people who gave me weird stares when I was bag feeling in the pink aisle. No idea why they had the CMF box in that spot and not by the Lego section. I had far more people laugh at me when I was feeling out series 11 in an actual Lego store. That's the last place I thought that would happen.

This was a CMF series that I thought I was going to skip, but unfortunately they were too good to pass up.

I'm waiting for the bus to take me and a certain french establishment home, along with a bunch of silvans from a shady forest and a curiously heavy-set sea captain of the suspicious type.

4 kg of Lego should last the weekend at least...

So I'm saving Parisian Restaurant for tomorrow, it was already getting late and I want to build it in one go. I'm having a friend come over to help, and maybe I can show him what Lego building is all about with one of the best (?) sets.

Mirkwood Elf Army was so-so. The build is decently interesting once done, but it's literally just stacking bricks until you reach the top. Nothing remotely clever except the variation on a figure catapult. Thranduil is an awesome minifig though, and it's great to get a few more elves.

Metalbeard's Duel was a great build. The micro manager is boring as is, but it was a very interesting build and I might keep it around simply because I don't need the parts. Metalbeard himself is another great mech. I only have the small ninjago mech and Treebeard (if he counts), but it's interesting to see how solid they get. All the pirate stuff on him is also great fun. This guy will be taking on the Imperial Flagship!

I also got six random movie figs for the heck of it. Got two barista guys (which is great for the new hairpiece that I'll find a use for), the robot secretary (who looks suspiciously much like the commercial spokeswomen for ComHem, I mean:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-KG7U8VXRf6M/UVbCyUgxzGI/AAAAAAAABis/P03UYg8VzEw/s320/Com+Hem+Judith.JPG

), then Good Cop/Bad Cop who I wanted, Wyldstyle who I wanted and the mermaid who I really wanted (she's going with the other merfolk in the pirate display). So I'm pretty happy overall.

Rootbeer

Banned
Bring on the next minifig series! The movie series was a lot of fun to collect :) For me, it was an above-average set. And that was BEFORE seeing the movie. After we see the film and get to know some of the characters, some more favorites might emerge.

Bring on the next minifig series! The movie series was a lot of fun to collect :) For me, it was an above-average set. And that was BEFORE seeing the movie. After we see the film and get to know some of the characters, some more favorites might emerge.

Looks like someone's fix isn't lasting. I'll go broke if they came out with CMFs every other month. I'm already half way there with all the good LEGO stuff lately.

Rootbeer

Banned
haha :) Ehh, well it's the first set I was able to collect in its entirety. It's a good feeling. I am enjoying the ones I already have though.

I was wondering has anyone here seen the new LEGO movie posters at LEGO stores? When I was there yesterday they had Hobbit posters. I got one, and it is a VERY nice poster, but was expecting the movie stuff since that supposedly started Jan 6th.

^ not my pic, but that's the one I got.

They need to reveal LEGO Smaug cause it's getting silly now. They released this epic poster where Smaug is even in the title (not to mention featured heavily in the film), and he's not even on the poster!

mojiimbo

That Hobbit poster was the freebie from around mid to late December with any Hobbit purchase. That photograph is of the higher quality version that was printed on thicker, nicer paper for...VIPs during that pre-Black Friday VIP event(?) The version most people got is the same illustration but on thinner glossy paper and folded into quadrants. The Lego Movie freebie posters are printed like the latter and should be out there by now. There's a new one starting every Monday this month.

Saw on reddit that there's a bonus Benny/Spaceman movie poster too, you just have to ask for it.

http://www.thebrickfan.com/the-lego-movie-secret-phrase-image/

Rootbeer

Banned
Ahh, well I should note that the version I received was on the thicker paper that was not folded. They issued it to me rolled up with a rubber band to hold it together. As I got to the LEGO store they had a bunch of these on the counter and were rolling them up as I looked around.

They also did not require a purchase to get. I asked about them and they just gave me one, before I even had any items in my hands.

So if anyone wants the higher-quality version, you could try to get one.

Just spent the last 5 hours putting together the VW Bus.

Damn that was a fun build. Made a couple mistakes out of fatigue, luckily I didn't have to tear down too much to fix everything.

I do wish they would just number the bags to go in order with the build.

leng jai

Just spent the last 5 hours putting together the VW Bus.

Damn that was a fun build. Made a couple mistakes out of fatigue, luckily I didn't have to tear down too much to fix everything.

I do wish they would just number the bags to go in order with the build.

The VW Camper Van is probably the most underrated set around.

judhudson

Brickfair Alabama tomorrow! Will try to take pics, and will post an album later.

I can't wait, I hope to pick up the Parisian Restaurant and possibly the Mars Rover at the LEGO store while I'm down there.

Rootbeer

Banned
i like that Friends panda. Also yeah, polar bear and dog sled is great.

also: sentinel! wolverine in classic brown costume! hobbit October sets (smaug this time please) more castle! (wish they'd go with a different color scheme, the blue on all the buildings/contructions isn't generic enough for my taste)

also its cool to see a chinese board dedicated to LEGO, i didn't know it was a thing there

Ponn

Banned
i like that Friends panda. Also yeah, polar bear and dog sled is great.

also: sentinel! wolverine in classic brown costume! hobbit October sets (smaug this time please) more castle! (wish they'd go with a different color scheme, the blue on all the buildings/contructions isn't generic enough for my taste)

also its cool to see a chinese board dedicated to LEGO, i didn't know it was a thing there

Wait, what the what!? What is going on?

The VW Camper Van is probably the most underrated set around.

It is one that kinda slips by unnoticed a lot. Almost like it's a secret or something. It is not this huge imposing beast like many of the sets we all gush about, but what it lacks in size it makes up for in pure joy of building and character.

Definitely one of the best sets still available to buy.

http://www.pockyland.net/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=59473

It loads slow, but the leaked pics are there.

Polar bear!

The sled dogs look sweet!

I am very intrigued by many of those pics.
Liking the look of this cafe.
Horrible looking Sentinel
Looks a lot like the Maersk Train in construction. And hopefully with less stickers.

i'm sure you found it by now! just a few posts up on that chinese forum link.

Phon: yeah, sentinel is weak. Just not a very good likeness, unfortunately.

I still need to do that Sentinel MOC I wanted to do last year. I don't have the purple to pull it off in the right color scheme, but I might knock something out in the next month since I wont be doing any large scale MOCs for the foreseeable future.

Ponn

Banned
i'm sure you found it by now! just a few posts up on that chinese forum link.

Phon: yeah, sentinel is weak. Just not a very good likeness, unfortunately.

I see now. Booo that Sentinel, how the hell can they have had this awesome run with mech builds then blow it with such a no brainer.

HOLY SHIT! Three Guardians of the Galaxy sets! gimmeegimmeegimmee

Draxal

Sentinel:

It's still a prelim, hopefully they touch it up a bit more.

The kingdoms line looked so much better than the current castle line, the current castle line completely underwhelms me.

Top Bottom