• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

rataven

That's a helluva trip! Enjoy your purchases!

Helluva haul there. I don't know if I would say to do Parisian Restaurant or Orthanc last. Definitely do Unexpected Gathering first. No matter what order, that is one awesome lineup waiting to be built.

Thanks guys! The trip was mostly a success. Two out of three ain't bad (Unexpected Gathering was sold out).

IMG_1477.jpg

So, here's my Lego quirk. I tend to hoard all the sets in a line until some arbitrary day and time when I decide now is the moment to sit down and build them all. For The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit, I wanted to marathon through the movies while building all the sets. I mean, it's silly to build this way, and it makes my backlog INSANE, but I've always thought of them as fun little themed 'events', so to speak. Anybody else do this?

Thanks guys! The trip was mostly a success. Two out of three ain't bad (Unexpected Gathering was sold out).

IMG_1477.jpg

So, here's my Lego quirk. I tend to hoard all the sets in a line until some arbitrary day and time when I decide now is the moment to sit down and build them all. For The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit, I wanted to marathon through the movies while building all the sets. I mean, it's silly to build this way, and it makes my backlog INSANE, but I've always thought of them as fun little themed 'events', so to speak. Anybody else do this?

I built all the Monster Hunter sets at once. Same with all the Batman and alien defence force sets. It's fun doing it that way.

My son and I are collecting LEGO Marvel minifigures and somehow he really wants to have the cannon fodder guys from Magneto's stage in the video game, the official name for those guys are "Magneto Acolytes". I know it's almost impossible those are going to get an official release let alone this year and my son asks me every day when I come back from work if I was able to find them.

So is there any minifigure from any LEGO line that looks similar to this?

120px-Unknown_Blonde_Male.png

Mystery_villain.png

161px-Unknown_Blonde_Female.png

ghostmind

Regarding BrickFair:

Brickfair LEGO Fan Festivals said:
The LEGO company could not join us in AL No set reveal.

Whether that means a change in plans, or LEGO is still going to reveal the set via the press, or there is nothing today? Don't know - but it is looking a lot less likely.

ghostmind

Maybe Simpsons was the set reveal and they had to move it up because of the leak?

That could be - the reveal ended up being rather spontaneous.

We've still got an early-access VIP set for February 17th, so I would think that they will have to reveal that set before the end of this month.

Fowler

Seems a bit weird to not show up at all just because the set was already shown off? I mean, I'd have assumed they'd show up with a physical set which would still be a huge draw.

Fowler

Holy HELL -- the Simpsons House has just been put up for pre-order at my local LEGO store for the low, low price of... US$500!!!

(Price in image is in Hong Kong Dollars)

And if you don't pre-order? The regular price is $550.

Wow.

Holy HELL -- the Simpsons House has just been put up for pre-order at my local LEGO store for the low, low price of... US$500!!!

(Price in image is in Hong Kong Dollars)

And if you don't pre-order? The regular price is $550.

Wow.

Maybe I should stop complaining about Australian prices. That's disgusting.

I finished Parisian Restaurant tonight with the help of a friend. Overall it was a GREAT build, and also very suitable for two. Aside from the foundations and some wall sections, there is almost always something for the other one to build, and many of the best parts are done twice.

There's a TON of fantastic details in this, and some crazy builds.

* Dat white detailing on the ground floor front.
* Dat cabinet inside.
* Dat kitchen sink.
* Dat proposal.
* Dat SNOT on second floor windows and ground floor curtains.
* Dat stair railing.
* Dat insane detail on the top floor front (gray and white parts).
* Dat blue textured roof with windows.

I'm taking pictures tomorrow, but if you are (for some reason) having second thoughts, don't! This is pure awesome!

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Bummer that there is no announcement today. Seems okay to me though as I get to keep my money.

Finally got my office/LEGO room setup today. All the table tops I wanted and things finally organize. See below.

11894443355_3220fbfb8a_b.jpg

11894448545_1f6f897b7f_b.jpg

Rootbeer

Banned
Haha, quite a transformation! But looks like you are already needing quite a bit more space, which is... something I can strongly relate to!

By far the biggest problem with being into LEGO... not the cost, it's the space!

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Haha, quite a transformation! But looks like you are already needing quite a bit more space, which is... something I can strongly relate to!

By far the biggest problem with being into LEGO... not the cost, it's the space!

Yea. It is a lot more space than I have ever had so it is great. I am still sorting out and breaking down some stuff so I should get some more room.

The Super Star Destroyer just hiding in the background there...

lol, yea it will stay together. Just need to figure out where I am going to display it.

Kryten

I've succumbed due to the bad weather and am now working on the second floor of the Fire Brigade modular.

I now understand.

banderas.gif

ghostmind

Simpsons House may possibly be available on January 17th for early VIP release. Treat this as a rumor until we get more confirmation.

It was a real fun build.

Though I wonder how difficult it would be to order the bulk of the pieces in a different color.

Would love to have it in that baby blue to make the VW Dharma vans from LOST

You are quickly easing into the LEGO hobby. Already considering buying individual parts. That's an advanced sign.

More info on customizing here: http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/1432/customizing-the-vw-camper-van-10220

Apparently Maersk blue is the closer color, but that will be a tough one to get the parts.

Here's an article about modified mini VW camper contest held at eurobricks.
http://thebrickblogger.com/2013/09/lego-vw-camper-mini-conversions/

LEGO-VW-Camper-Van-Conversions-at-EuroBricks.jpg

Bummer that there is no announcement today. Seems okay to me though as I get to keep my money.

Finally got my office/LEGO room setup today. All the table tops I wanted and things finally organize. See below.

11894448545_1f6f897b7f_b.jpg

I'm so jelly of you guys with the dedicate LEGO rooms. I at least have an office where I can put my dedicated LEGO parts on the metal shelving with rollers in a corner.

Rootbeer

Banned
Ordered 10 Movie minfigs from LEGO store...

First, they sent me 11.

Second, there was only 1 duplicate (2 Emmet).
Awesome luck. I've ordered them online before, never got a good spread. From now on I think I'm going to rely on my semi-local LEGO store for feeling packs. Or TRU. I used to be too shy about it and I'd sit there and feel a few out only to end up mostly grabbing random packs. But the more I do it, the more it doesn't bother me. I've had some good convos with the employees at LEGO and TRU too. There's a reason people chose to work at those places... it's not just because "it's a job" -- it's because a lot of them like this stuff too! I've underestimated that potential in the past.

Simpsons House may possibly be available on January 17th for early VIP release. Treat this as a rumor until we get more confirmation.

ATfPwPU.png

Welp. Looks like I better prepare my wallet. Or not. I can wait till Feb 1st just fine.

Random thought:

I'm about to work with programming some RFID stuff in the coming weeks and was wondering if there has ever been any RFID LEGO stuff people have worked on? It almost makes too much sense in my head somehow especially with mindstorms stuff.

Everytime I hear Bad Cop, I think of Axe Cop...and then I wonder how crazy those sets would look.

I don't know if I have the right parts, but it wouldn't be that hard to make. Get CMF Policeman + CMF Lumberjack Axe + a mustache glasses face.... hmmm I have all but the face, though I did just get the big mustache from the Lego Movie western set

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Awesome luck. I've ordered them online before, never got a good spread. From now on I think I'm going to rely on my semi-local LEGO store for feeling packs. Or TRU. I used to be too shy about it and I'd sit there and feel a few out only to end up mostly grabbing random packs. But the more I do it, the more it doesn't bother me. I've had some good convos with the employees at LEGO and TRU too. There's a reason people chose to work at those places... it's not just because "it's a job" -- it's because a lot of them like this stuff too! I've underestimated that potential in the past.

Not just a good spread, but all the one's I wanted.

Emmet
Wyldstyle
Lord Business
Shakespeare
Lincoln
Pandaman
Bad Cop

Coffee vendor
Pants Man
Robo-Lady with beehive so.

Captain N

How hard will the Simpson's set be when it comes out? I just mean will it be something they'll only send out one shipment of it?

How hard will the Simpson's set be when it comes out? I just mean will it be something they'll only send out one shipment of it?

Not likely. It will be hard to get for the first few weeks because fans will buy a bunch, then speculators will buy even more of them. After a few months it will be pretty easy to find.

neonglow

I went bag feeling today and managed to get 15 out of 16 LEGO Movie minifigures. My favorite has to be Abe Lincoln.

The hardest minifigure to find was Mrs. Scratchen-Post cause she's rare and somewhat hard to feel for the cat.

I also mistook the Bad Cop's 1x2 tile as Emmet so I'll have to go back and hunt him down tomorrow.

11901493943_221b1b1b87.jpg

ghostmind

What's the best way to get Iron Patriot Minifig? The Wal-Mart version of LEGO Marvel?

That's the only way to get it at retail in North America, however the minifig was only packaged with the initial run of the game, so you would need to check your local walmarts to see if they still have one that has not been bought up by speculators.

The other option is eBay or Bricklink, for which you are looking at around $30 currently for the minifig.

I went back to Fred for you yesterday but look like may be Bricks and Minifigs might have gone through all 4 boxes, I can only feel Emmett, Cop and Wildstyle left in there. Are you still looking for Scratchen Post and the secretary robot? I might hit another Fred in a day or two.

Captain N

Yeah, but that's only if they're still available in stores or online. I think the minifig was only packed in with 360 and PS3 copies of the game.

That's the only way to get it at retail in North America, however the minifig was only packaged with the initial run of the game, so you would need to check your local walmarts to see if they still have one that has not been bought up by speculators.

The other option is eBay or Bricklink, for which you are looking at around $30 currently for the minifig.

Thanks guys! My local Wal Mart has them in stock with the 3DS version. My son's favorite Super Hero right now is Iron Patriot. So I'm thinking of getting that for him with his birthday next month.

Rootbeer

Banned
I went back to Fred for you yesterday but look like may be Bricks and Minifigs might have gone through all 4 boxes, I can only feel Emmett, Cop and Wildstyle left in there. Are you still looking for Scratchen Post and the secretary robot? I might hit another Fred in a day or two.

Very kind of you to to have me in mind! I made a post Thursday in this thread about finding those figs on my third pillaging attempt though, so I'm all done. Got a LEGO employee to give me a second opinion on the pack I suspected cat lady to be inside, hehe. I have all 16 + doubles of some of my favorites (except for bad cop and lord business, who I have 3 of due to pack feeling errors :p)

I really appreciate it though. Those two figs, being somewhat uncommon compared to the others (or so it seems based on the case breakdown thread on eurobricks), should come in handy for you regardless if you do pick them up.

For others who may need these two figures: while I agree feeling for her cat lady's hair is a good method, if you think you feel the cat but aren't sure, feel carefully for its tail. it makes a "c" shape at its tip, it should not be mistaken for anything else in the set. if still not sure, just keep feeling the piece and see if you can make out the head and legs (there are only two "legs").

5b81abb5656eb829f2a03d1a29749aa0.jpg

If you are searching for the secretary robot, it has a 2x2 square plate as an accessory. The only other figs in the set with a similar piece are abe Lincoln and Shakespeare. if you feel the plate, but don't feel the Lincoln hat (pretty obvious), or the Shakespeare neck-piece, you're golden. don't mistake the Shakespeare bald head piece for her hair though, because they are both round on top. bad cop and emmet have 1x2 plate accessories, don't mistake a 1x2 for a 2x2.

feeling packs iz gud fun.

Rootbeer

Banned
lol! I agree. Total mall cop.

I actually have two of those now... have a feeling i may have 3 before the month is over... especially if that Simpsons House hits early like ghostmind indicated.

I ordered a few older Atlantis sets I found at a good price. Really love the minifigs in them.

Also snagged a gold dragon for $19 and change... not a huge Ninjago fan but I'm trying to diversify :)

I pose yet another question to LEGO GAF... what are your experiences with LEGO games? Not the video games, I mean the board and other table games. However, this includes any game that utilizes in some way physical LEGO bricks, including Life of George (which is an ios/android game that requires taking photos of LEGO bricks.) I have been curious about many of them, including Creationary, Life of George and Heroica to name a few.

rataven

Haha, he IS a mall cop. That super serious face gives him away.

So Lego-GAF, what's everyone use for tracking their collections these days? Is it still primarily Brickset? I need a way of getting a handle on this mountain of Lego I've got taking over my house.

hmmblah

If you are searching for the secretary robot, it has a 2x2 square plate as an accessory. The only other figs in the set with a similar piece are abe Lincoln and Shakespeare. if you feel the plate, but don't feel the Lincoln hat (pretty obvious), or the Shakespeare neck-piece, you're golden. don't mistake the Shakespeare bald head piece for her hair though, because they are both round on top. bad cop and emmet have 1x2 plate accessories, don't mistake a 1x2 for a 2x2.

feeling packs iz gud fun.

Easiest way to tell it's the secretary is her hair. The back of it flips up so it's a dead giveaway.

Top Bottom