• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

Fowler

xePsAqm.jpg

I've been meaning to do this, but I haven't quite been able to figure out how he did it...

ghostmind

That new Star Wars 2014 Canteena set that has been announced...

Will it contain a Greedo?

We don't know for sure, but the current idea (based on the prelims that have been leaked) floating around is that it will have:

3 Bith musicians, Obi-Wan, Luke, Han, Sandtrooper, Greedo

It is possible that there is only 1 or 2 Bith, and the the other 1 or 2 could be Wuher, Ponda Baba or Dr. Evazan.

NeoZylom

Hello guys. I'm fairly new here. Willing to buy a Lego set just for fun and to pass time, but I don't know which one I should get. I'm not looking for a specific theme. Just looking for something fun to build and not too expensive. I'm willing to pay around 50-60$. Any suggestions?

Draxal

Hello guys. I'm fairly new here. Willing to buy a Lego set just for fun and to pass time, but I don't know which one I should get. I'm not looking for a specific theme. Just looking for something fun to build and not too expensive. I'm willing to pay around 50-60$. Any suggestions?

There's recommendations on the OP, however none are in your specific price range (although I think it's worth the little splurge to get the hive crawler).

The minifig Xwing is around that cost, and is a pretty fun build (the nose).

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/X-Wing-Starfighter-9493

Hive crawler is a little bit pricier, but gaffers love it.

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Hive-Crawler-70708

neonglow

The Creator line is a good place to start: http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Creator-ByTheme

A good starter one in that price range is the Mountain Hut:
http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Mountain-Hut-31025?fromListing=listing

Welcome to the thread. As Draxal mentioned the minifig-scale X Wing is pretty terrific.

If Star Wars isn't your thing then you might like the Back To The Future Delorean. It's a fun build with some great minifigs.

Are you interested in showing it off? The new Eiffel Tower looks pretty amazing, and the White House is a good build.

Neonglow is right about the Creator sets. If you're willing to spend a couple of bucks more the Family House is easily my favorite of the bunch. It's got a light brick in it and looks really cool in a darkened room.

exactly... this will finally allow me to reenact the Greedo shooting scene in Lego ;)

Not sure yet just who i'll let shoot first though ;P

How do I block you! There should be no thinking, the answer is clear! :)

LOL

If you don't have any specific theme or genre in mind, Creator sets are a good start.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes

Try browsing through the 2013/2014 sets and the various themes on Brickset.com to see if there's anything that you might fancy:

http://www.brickset.com/browse/years/?year=2013
http://www.brickset.com/browse/years/?year=2014

As many have said, Creator is where you get the most bang for your buck. Great price per brick, and you get instructions for three different builds.

Some more specific suggestions:

9493_alt1.jpg

As many have suggested, the regular Sex-Wing...err...I mean X-WIng is fantastic.

70704_alt1.jpg

Vermin Vaporizer. Can be found on clearance many places. Very highly regarded on here, and rightly so.

70707_alt1.jpg

Eradicator Mech. Who doesn't love mechs?

79110_alt1.jpg

Silver Mine Shootout. Normally out of your price range, but it is on clearance many places so can be found for cheap. One of the five best sets last year in my (and Ghostmind's) opinion.

79108_alt1.jpg

Stagecoach Escape.

31004_alt1.jpg

Fierce Flyer

6862_alt1.jpg

Lex Luthor Power Armor. Probably the best set that $20 can buy. Just ask almost everyone on here.

31021_alt1.jpg

31019_alt1.jpg

The other two sets that are some of the best $20 you can spend. Brand new, and fantastic sets. A steal for the amount of pieces and the price.

NeoZylom

Wow! Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Now I just need to decide what I want haha. I'm tempted by a lot of them :eek:. Only one thing bother me... a lot of them are OOS on Lego.ca :(

NeoZylom

Just one last question. What advantage do I have from ordering on Lego.com? It's charging me shipping and it's the same price as what I can get on Amazon.ca (and no shipping fees!)

Putting together Unexpected Gathering, this set is really well done, but there was much much sadness when I discovered the maps were stickers. Was so hoping for printed pieces.

Putting together Unexpected Gathering, this set is really well done, but there was much much sadness when I discovered the maps were stickers. Was so hoping for printed pieces.

It's my top set for 2013. I liked it so much I got all the other hobbit sets and the thanksgiving seasonal polybag to fill the hobbit hole with all the dwarves and more food <3

I doubt I'll disassemble it for a long time if ever.

Damn. How could I forget to mention that for a set to buy for a return to the hobby? That is the one NeoZylom should buy. Come into the hobby at the top.

hmmblah

Started the UCS b-wing yesterday and did bags 1-3. Loving the build so far, went as far as calling it the best-wing (although my brother said it's downhill after bag 3). Unfortunately, bag 4 is missing a piece. Bag 5 is a mirror image so I checked that bag as well and the bastard is missing the same piece. Even better, Lego is out of stock on that piece in the missing parts section. It's piece 4211065. There 31 in the set so I think I can rob it from another bag for now.

First time I've had a set missing a piece. It's like watching your favorite childhood dog get hit by a car and simultaneously getting kicked in the balls by the annoying girl in the neighborhood who you secretly have a crush on. OK, maybe not quite that bad.

Edit: Another vote for Unexpected Gathering. It's at the top of my list as well. Do yourself a favor and grab it!

Started the UCS b-wing yesterday and did bags 1-3. Loving the build so far, went as far as calling it the best-wing (although my brother said it's downhill after bag 3). Unfortunately, bag 4 is missing a piece. Bag 5 is a mirror image so I checked that bag as well and the bastard is missing the same piece. Even better, Lego is out of stock on that piece in the missing parts section. It's piece 4211065. There 31 in the set so I think I can rob it from another bag for now.

First time I've had a set missing a piece. It's like watching your favorite childhood dog get hit by a car and simultaneously getting kicked in the balls by the annoying girl in the neighborhood who you secretly have a crush on. OK, maybe not quite that bad.

Edit: Another vote for Unexpected Gathering. It's at the top of my list as well. Do yourself a favor and grab it!
Dark grey 2x4 plate? Pretty common piece.

Just one last question. What advantage do I have from ordering on Lego.com? It's charging me shipping and it's the same price as what I can get on Amazon.ca (and no shipping fees!)

You wouldn't happen to be in the GTA are you?

Started the UCS b-wing yesterday and did bags 1-3. Loving the build so far, went as far as calling it the best-wing

I adore that ship. It is probably tied with the current Tie Fighter as my favorite looking ship.

I know your pain regarding the missing piece. Out of the...probably two hundred sets I've bought in the last 2 years since getting back into the hobby I've had exactly one missing piece. It was a 1x2 jumper plate on Fire Brigade and it still bothers me so much.

I just bought it. Can't believe I just spent 100$ on a Lego set.
Don't worry. It will get more expensive. :)

But welcome back to the hobby. That is a kingly set to pop your cherry with. Let us know of your thoughts. This community is very kind and wonderful, and extremely helpful with everything (unless that thing is helping you to NOT buy LEGO).

hmmblah

Is that brick hidden once the build is done? If so, just substitute while waiting for replacement.

Looks like it's hidden, yes. I have no extra 2x4 plates of any color though that have studs anyway. Not sure if the OCD would let me use a different color! I don't get much time to work on the sets, usually a bag a night so I'll rob it from a later bag and hopefully Lego will come through in the next few days. Won't get any building done tonight now. Kids, work and all that jazz really take away from Lego time.

I adore that ship. It is probably tied with the current Tie Fighter as my favorite looking ship.

I know your pain regarding the missing piece. Out of the...probably two hundred sets I've bought in the last 2 years since getting back into the hobby I've had exactly one missing piece. It was a 1x2 jumper plate on Fire Brigade and it still bothers me so much.

There's been times where I thought a piece was missing only to find it later. First time for everything I guess.

Martheron

So, my Back to the Future DeLorean came in and I'm enjoying it very much so far. I've been off today and I'll be off tomorrow due to me apparently having the flu ( no symptoms, I think I got a false positive). I think I'll finish it up some time tomorrow been bouncing between it and Metal Gear Rising. I think i want a Chima set, as well (I tend to enjoy fantasy but I've never been a big fan of LotR and such). Any suggestions as to a good set to look for or one that might be discounted soon?

neonglow

So, my Back to the Future DeLorean came in and I'm enjoying it very much so far. I've been off today and I'll be off tomorrow due to me apparently having the flu ( no symptoms, I think I got a false positive). I think I'll finish it up some time tomorrow been bouncing between it and Metal Gear Rising. I think i want a Chima set, as well (I tend to enjoy fantasy but I've never been a big fan of LotR and such). Any suggestions as to a good set to look for or one that might be discounted soon?

I'd recommend the Eagler Interceptor or Gorilla Mech. It looks like the majority of Eagle and Raven sets are out of print now.

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Eris-Eagle-Interceptor-70003?fromListing=listing

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Gorzan-s-Gorilla-Striker-70008?fromListing=listing

quick question before I head to bed in a bit and forget to ask:

does anyone have a vector site/resource of the wolfpack logo? I want to get a custom shirt print of it on a brown shirt (with long black sleeves underneath to get it right)

wolfpack-shield.png

even if not a hi rez clear shot of the colors and shape are what I need and I can convert the rest.

I might want to work on some LEGO inspired fan art soon of the old castle themes :)

Rootbeer

Banned
quick question before I head to bed in a bit and forget to ask:

does anyone have a vector site/resource of the wolfpack logo? I want to get a custom shirt print of it on a brown shirt (with long black sleeves underneath to get it right)

even if not a hi rez clear shot of the colors and shape are what I need and I can convert the rest.

I might want to work on some LEGO inspired fan art soon of the old castle themes :)
Hey! You reminded me of another set I had as a child. I've explained before, but my childhood sets were given away to a family friend when I was in my later teens. Drat! Anyway, I had this set from the Wolfpack: http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=6038-1

I miss it T__T yet another thing to add to my bricklink wishlist. Looks like they only made THREE sets for them. What a shame, I really loved their crest as well.
Cool, I also live in San Fran during the week, are the pick a brick walls in the south bay worth a look?
Sorry, I rarely get down in those parts. I know there is a LEGO store waaaay down in San Mateo at the Hillsdale Mall but I've never been there. There are some LEGO destinations within the city itself but I couldn't recommend any because they are grossly overpriced, like most other things here. Also none have Pick A Brick to my knowledge.

I do most of my shopping in the East Bay, usually at the LEGO store in the Stoneridge mall. It's the only LEGO store I've been to so I don't have much to compare it with. I do know that in videos online I've seen some LEGO stores have waaaaay larger Pick A Brick walls. But the one there is decent sized. If you look on the LEGO website they have some pictures of the interiors for all of their stores. Here is Stoneridge. Here's Hillsdale and if you ever get down to Santa Clara there's one at Westfield Valley Fair (also never been.)

*edit* actually upon looking at the photos together they all seem to be the SAME photos. I'm assuming because they all have the same store layout. Some stores have HUGE PAB walls though, I guess none of ours do.

Ryuuroden

It's my top set for 2013. I liked it so much I got all the other hobbit sets and the thanksgiving seasonal polybag to fill the hobbit hole with all the dwarves and more food <3

I doubt I'll disassemble it for a long time if ever.

I have 2 of these sets. Why? To build a bigger hobbit hole of course!

Hey! You reminded me of another set I had as a child. I've explained before, but my childhood sets were given away to a family friend when I was in my later teens. Drat! Anyway, I had this set from the Wolfpack: http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=6038-1

I miss it T__T yet another thing to add to my bricklink wishlist. Looks like they only made THREE sets for them. What a shame, I really loved their crest as well.

Oh man! Had that set myself! Best Wolfpack set <3 amazing hidden compartment too hiding the treasure chest, so badass!

Ryuuroden

But do you have two Towers of Orthanc? You need one to build each side since it's a cutaway.

Actually, yes I do. I just purchased the 2nd one like 2 weeks ago. I am planning on actually doing a lot of modification and make a much taller version. I got the 2nd one in order to do that. I have two helms deeps, 2 black gates, and 2 rivendells as well.

Ryuuroden

Sweet - time for a Friday LEGO store run!

I think my next early vip purchase will be the sea cow if that ends up being the early set for next month. Probably will be moving that month so it would be the perfect set to "smash the wine bottle against" so to speak to celebrate.

Top Bottom