• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

Thank you so much (!) SiegfriedFM for helping me strike 9 (!) Series 1 Minifigs from my wanted list!
You are the man!

rXnjxTU.png

AXpjVJb.png

mwQt1vas.jpg
LYxHei3s.jpg
I77azfZs.jpg
7KDojKVs.jpg
mLOhOTys.jpg
aGu2QTMs.jpg

vHgXqYvs.jpg
djLiwQIs.jpg
2tSxKLss.jpg
Dxznlbds.jpg
eHnL5YOs.jpg
voLIzZ7s.jpg
vKvJoQos.jpg
rluUf3ds.jpg

QTwCSb9s.jpg
N0cHfUjs.jpg
93IsDaRs.jpg
KjW9pxFs.jpg

1fTtJFDs.jpg
tHXjXD1s.jpg
1XfetHas.jpg
FLOcFuLs.jpg
oY09ULMs.jpg
UhM2XXCs.jpg
BY9KIMHs.jpg
4pXiVRhs.jpg

Oa7mXuTs.jpg
MezeF8As.jpg
5zF1I69s.jpg
68yUydjs.jpg
vHiUJEfs.jpg
3fYVzC2s.jpg
B2s7WFEs.jpg

A9dZXYd.png

AXpjVJb.png

gQjHL3Ys.jpg
zu3NpRQs.jpg
6CzCpjEs.jpg

q4ldOqvs.jpg
mXMg0Jfs.jpg

BPYzaxSs.jpg
PLdgqVds.jpg
8KjpTwjs.jpg
cJh7XkRs.jpg
YXISNO3s.jpg

93YrrSKs.jpg
uT4OnR3s.jpg
uT4OnR3s.jpg
uT4OnR3s.jpg
NrSE5mEs.jpg
NrSE5mEs.jpg
aBtB0gPs.jpg
aBtB0gPs.jpg
9E5TxRNs.jpg
9E5TxRNs.jpg
spTyTQds.jpg
fBTLqkks.jpg
7DctxPRs.jpg
zCEYSTTs.jpg
mblR29fs.jpg
MPjmOY3s.jpg

QgVd4e5s.jpg
t4JUNbNs.jpg
t4JUNbNs.jpg
vO77yN4s.jpg
vO77yN4s.jpg
BwbA7PTs.jpg
YFi5qvss.jpg
zjpTF9Ps.jpg
stc8h18s.jpg
RVKfcvSs.jpg
RGBxpNLs.jpg

FR6AjKUs.jpg
U8HLs57s.jpg
U8HLs57s.jpg
PB8W3was.jpg
PB8W3was.jpg
vh1xWwvs.jpg
Slu9IFEs.jpg

QTwCSb9s.jpg
PIFMqYis.jpg
kvPzrIls.jpg
iebq01Ms.jpg
JYyQYEJs.jpg

1fTtJFDs.jpg
JoJl8QZs.jpg
JDpI95Vs.jpg
qQPG8WHs.jpg
opCYAFes.jpg

Oa7mXuTs.jpg
31hK4Tes.jpg
3TIkjkMs.jpg
xS13WNss.jpg

8qjtBSOs.jpg
F7AqraOs.jpg
F7AqraOs.jpg
XQh1bZ3s.jpg
YG2layws.jpg

Polybags

Six LEGO sets for $100.00, another great thing about these beside the prices is that 5 of the 6 have alternate builds!

WP_20140114_09_45_02_Pro by antiquegamer, on Flickr

I also picked up Chima Eagle ship thing for $16.50. Too bad the clearance items do not stack with buy 2 get 1 free at Fred Myers. The $29.99 set are perfect for this deal because they essentially become $20.00 sets.

Dragoshi1

All that for 100 bucks with buy 2 get 1?

Why can't there be deals like that in Florida...

Let me know how Garbage Chomper Truck thing is, because I'm getting that ASAP.

R-User!

I think my next early vip purchase will be the sea cow if that ends up being the early set for next month. Probably will be moving that month so it would be the perfect set to "smash the wine bottle against" so to speak to celebrate.

For fun you better smash something and make it break up against that Lego ship to see what happens... :)

Film it; it will be glorious!

Lego Simpsons will probably sell like hotcakes.

I seems like everyone hating on the set. I personally think it looks fantastic especially for $200.00.

Yes, and what I love about Fred is even though I buy mixture of 3 $29.99 and 3 $19.99 set they give you appropriate discount and you don't have to fight with them about which set get taken out. Only thing is the clearance and red hot items are not part of the deal. (They are clearing out all the toys now at 60% off but LEGO sets are pretty far and few, I only found that Eagle Interceptor and bunch of those Chima speedoz things, man the series really bomb for LEGO). Fred Myers is smarter this year, like other retailers, they seems to do great discount on LEGO during holidays so there were not many sets left for big clearance at the end like in previous years.

Just built the Chibi Falcon here...

Actually, a surprisingly fun build! I think i like this one a tad bit more than then Planet series so far... the model itself would look even more serious without the minifig and the flickfire missiles of course, but alas, that would defeat the whole Chibi concept right?

Some nice details too like the antenna, the 4 engines etc. the general shape of the ship is pretty accurate for such a small model, i also dig the blue engine "fire" in the back! The only thing that is kinda disappointing is that it includes yet another regular Han of which i must have like 3 or 4 by now at least :(

Draxal

Actually, a surprisingly fun build! I think i like this one a tad bit more than then Planet series so far... the model itself would look even more serious without the minifig and the flickfire missiles of course, but alas, that would defeat the whole Chibi concept right?

Some nice details too like the antenna, the 4 engines etc. the general shape of the ship is pretty accurate for such a small model, i also dig the blue engine "fire" in the back! The only thing that is kinda disappointing is that it includes yet another regular Han of which i must have like 3 or 4 by now at least :(

Are you from Europe, I thought the Star Wars sets were being released in America until March.

And I want the chibi xwing and star destroyer pretty badly (and the turbo tank as well!).

That's amazing! Are those out in Canada?

The Garbage Chomper was a fun build, has maybe 5-6 stickers though.

I did the alternate build instead of the regular garbage truck. I really enjoy the action mechanism that allows it to chomp up and down.

Oh cool. I think I'll be picking this up for the weekend then. I wouldn't say I'm an enormous Simpsons fan, but that build looks way fun.

It is a large set designed by Marcos Bessa. A great build is guaranteed.

I know Ghostmind and I gush about him a lot, but these are some sets he designed that we love:
Quinjet
Lex Luthor Power Armor
Constitution Train Chase
Arkham Asylum Breakout
Ewok Village

rataven

It is a large set designed by Marcos Bessa. A great build is guaranteed.

I know Ghostmind and I gush about him a lot, but these are some sets he designed that we love:
Quinjet
Lex Luthor Power Armor
Constitution Train Chase
Arkham Asylum Breakout
Ewok Village

Nice! That's an impressive resume! I concur on Quinjet and Constitution Train being great sets, although I hadn't realized they could be credited to the same guy. Another designer to watch then, for sure.

rataven

Ewok Village is his best yet.

It's funny; I've been collecting Lego since the 90s, but I don't have a single Star Wars set. I've thought of picking up the real iconic sets though, before they're gone -- Millennium Falcon, Death Star, and possibly Ewok Village. Knowing EW is a great build certainly helps push that decision along, haha.

It's funny; I've been collecting Lego since the 90s, but I don't have a single Star Wars set. I've thought of picking up the real iconic sets though, before they're gone -- Millennium Falcon, Death Star, and possibly Ewok Village. Knowing EW is a great build certainly helps push that decision along, haha.

Best Star first. Then R2-D2. Then Ewok Village.

Pics are posted from Brickfair Alabama! The most impressive build out there has to be the battleship leading into the jungle (I forgot to take a pic of the name, so I cannot remember what it was!

Album here: https://www.facebook.com/judhudson/...0571.1073741849.1221104035&type=3&uploaded=59

1556447_10202931628671314_1078678076_o.jpg

That ship is impressive in scale indeed. That has to be over 50 PAB cups of 1x1 round trans tiles!

Thanks for sharing the photos!

That space biodome!
That Q-Bert arcade cabinet!
That city!
That classic LEGO display!
That Iron Giant!

Those really small vignettes are easily overlooked with all the HUGE builds. They need to put all the small vignette builds all together.

ghostmind

A new interesting part for 2014 has made its debut with the new Chima sets:

Kwk34gY.jpg

This new "gun" is highly-configurable, with studs covering most of its surface.

Bummer, just received an email that my Mars Rover is still on back order. The product page lists January 26th as the estimated restock date.

Is the cockpit piece printed or sticker?
Who am I kidding, it must be a sticker. :(

looks printed, and all the planet sets come with printed pieces, so there is hope.
Stickers on LEGO should die a horribly painfull death. :(

Bummer, just received an email that my Mars Rover is still on back order. The product page lists January 26th as the estimated restock date.

Is the cockpit piece printed or sticker?
Who am I kidding, it must be a sticker. :(

amazingly enough, there are NO stickers in this set :)

So yeah, the cockpit is a printed (and unique?) piece!

The Chibis are indeed out in Europe here.

A new interesting part for 2014 has made its debut with the new Chima sets:

Kwk34gY.jpg

This new "gun" is highly-configurable, with studs covering most of its surface.

Ooooh. That looks very useful! I can't wait to see the "New Elementary" blog cover that piece. He usually shows a few techniques he thinks of with the new pieces.

amazingly enough, there are NO stickers in this set :)

So yeah, the cockpit is a printed (and unique?) piece!

The Chibis are indeed out in Europe here.

I believe that piece is the head of the non-dome head astromechs in Star Wars.

sw477.jpg

robjoh

Hello guys. I'm fairly new here. Willing to buy a Lego set just for fun and to pass time, but I don't know which one I should get. I'm not looking for a specific theme. Just looking for something fun to build and not too expensive. I'm willing to pay around 50-60$. Any suggestions?

Creator set, good value for the money with different builds and good amount of pieces.

Ooooh. That looks very useful! I can't wait to see the "New Elementary" blog cover that piece. He usually shows a few techniques he thinks of with the new pieces.

I believe that piece is the head of the non-dome head astromechs in Star Wars.

sw477.jpg

hmm could be indeed... i don't have one handy atm but yeah i can see it... with a different print of course!

wetflame

Pizza Dog

I actually really like the look of that! Will have to keep an eye out here in the UK.

Sorry, I rarely get down in those parts. I know there is a LEGO store waaaay down in San Mateo at the Hillsdale Mall but I've never been there. There are some LEGO destinations within the city itself but I couldn't recommend any because they are grossly overpriced, like most other things here. Also none have Pick A Brick to my knowledge.

I do most of my shopping in the East Bay, usually at the LEGO store in the Stoneridge mall. It's the only LEGO store I've been to so I don't have much to compare it with. I do know that in videos online I've seen some LEGO stores have waaaaay larger Pick A Brick walls. But the one there is decent sized. If you look on the LEGO website they have some pictures of the interiors for all of their stores. Here is Stoneridge. Here's Hillsdale and if you ever get down to Santa Clara there's one at Westfield Valley Fair (also never been.)

*edit* actually upon looking at the photos together they all seem to be the SAME photos. I'm assuming because they all have the same store layout. Some stores have HUGE PAB walls though, I guess none of ours do.

Nice to know that there are a couple of people here that are local to me (you and BomberMouse). I live in the Montclair area of Oakland. I've been to the Lego stores at Stoneridge and Hillsdale (Stoneridge is much closer to me). I can spend all day there(!), but my wife usually gives me the look when I'm there more than 10 minutes. =) I don't usually hit up the PAB wall since I don't do any MOC's. I just like building sets.

I do most of my Lego purchases on Craigslist (hate paying retail or close to retail for anything, and I'm pretty patient). Just picked up the Robie House and White House yesterday for $150. Both were sealed but the Robie House box was a bit beat up. Was really happy with that score.

Deefuzz

Pics are posted from Brickfair Alabama! The most impressive build out there has to be the battleship leading into the jungle (I forgot to take a pic of the name, so I cannot remember what it was!

Album here: https://www.facebook.com/judhudson/...0571.1073741849.1221104035&type=3&uploaded=59

1609871_10202931619751091_150184650_n.jpg

Spaceship, Spaceship, SPACESHIP!

This is actually on display in my store right now. The AFOL who built it is from the area. Brought it straight from the convention to drop it off and put it on display. I LOVE it!

ghostmind

Received and built the Curiosity Mars Rover.

It comes in a nice box (like BttF), and has a 100+ page high-quality instruction booklet with little info snippets peppered through the build instructions (which have an uncommon black background). In all an enjoyable build - with the highlight being the drive suspension. It will make a great display model.

JdOJVLy.jpg

(rock, bush, and alien not included)

Received and built the Curiosity Mars Rover.

It comes in a nice box (like BttF), and has a 100+ page high-quality instruction booklet with little info snippets peppered through the build instructions (which have an uncommon black background). In all an enjoyable build - with the highlight being the drive suspension. It will make a great display model.

Awesome feedback, thanks Ghostmind! I love the first pic.

Dragoshi1

Where in Florida? I always have a hard time finding stuff too :-/

Tampa, there's never any lego sales around here. I saw some decent stuff on Craigs List, but I'm terrified of meeting people in person and they wind up being a murderer or somethin'. Found some decent Lego Atlantis stuff on there.

ghostmind

How can you not have the Dolphin Cruiser? Best Friends set out there, it's a must have.

I kept waiting for a sale. I had it in my Amazon cart in November, and they ran out of stock. Prior to Christmas, it was hard to find that set.

I will definitely get it in the next few months though.

I think I may have a problem...

SRO9QTX.jpg

The problem being that I don't have the dolphins yet. Must get that Cruiser.

I have the same problem! I'm just missing the latest Friends pets wave.

Dolphins will be in one of the smaller 2014 Friends sets, but the Dolphin Cruiser is a must get even without dolphins.

Top Bottom