• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

Not silly. That's being a LEGO purist. There are a LOT of builders that are LEGO purists. I usually do the same when I build stuff and do my LEGO comics. Limiting your building palette is definitely part of the fun and challenge. I do mix 3rd party and other compatibles once in awhile though.

I think having grown up with them for so long As a kid and the fact that even back then when curved pieces started to appear my mind was blown.

Even nowadays I'm impressed with all the flat tile pieces that are used nowadays compared to old; it makes Legos look 'sexy' if that makes any sense :p

Fowler

I'm taking a wild guess and it should be around until the end of the year at the very least. I'm on the fence with Tower of Orthanc. I really want it, but there's soooo much I want too.

I highly recommend it. Good variety all the way through, clever details, and it just looks SO good.

rataven

I'd be disappointed if they put LotR and/or The Hobbit on hold, but I'm happy with what we did get. Always was a dream line of mine since I was a kid.

What I'm curious about now is any possibility of a revived Western theme. Not sure how the license for TLR works, but since that line is likely done for good, I'd love to see Lego bring back a general western theme. Only not knowing how sales for TLR sets panned out, I'm not sure if Lego would interpret poor sales as lack of interest in the theme, or the license.

But remember that Cuusoo western modular town?! I still really, really want that.

ghostmind

So it looks like the Cantina has Han, Luke, Obi-Wan. Sandtrooper, Greedo and 3 Bith musicians (Figrin D'an and two Modal Nodes).

AT-AT is apparently slightly smaller than the 2010 version, but may be the best design version yet.

ISD is also slightly smaller, and the bridge section is not open like the 2006 version (which is a good thing IMO) and the Emperor hologram is indeed a printed trans-blue microfig.

B-Wing has Ten Numb, Airen Cracken, and a new Y-wing pilot.

ghostmind

Upcoming TRU event:

0P057DF.jpg

ghostmind

The Ultra Agents sets will have an AR functionality, whereby if you aim your smartphone or tablet camera at the completed model (vehicle, playset, etc), "stuff" will happen on the screen.

So it looks like the Cantina has Han, Luke, Obi-Wan. Sandtrooper, Greedo and 3 Bith musicians (Figrin D'an and two Modal Nodes).

I'm surprised that they didn't include the bartender.

AT-AT is apparently slightly smaller than the 2010 version, but may be the best design version yet.

ISD is also slightly smaller, and the bridge section is not open like the 2006 version (which is a good thing IMO) and the Emperor hologram is indeed a printed trans-blue microfig.

AT-AT is slightly smaller but has 300+ more pieces? A better interior I suppose. The new snowspeeder is supposedly slightly larger than previous models and the grappling hook can be fired using the new launcher blaster found in this year's army building sets. Also has launcher missiles underneath.

I'm still not 100% sold on the ISD, it really depends on what play features it has inside. I kind of agree with not having the bridge open as the last one was awfully cramped with 2 minifigs inside but aside from that and the communication room with the Emperor I'm not sure what else they can squeeze inside the ship.

Quick and dirty pics of the second floor of my new Mega Book Store. I still need to add books to the shelves, but I at least got the main architecture done. The third floor should go quickly as well since the exterior will be mostly the same (but without the signs).

The book sign.

Exterior. Third floor base is set. Now to just build it up. I think for the wall part where the signs would be I am going to make the brick discolored or have ivy growing.

Whenever the entire thing is done I will upload a ton of pics with all the details.

leng jai

I now have the chance of getting the Haunted House at a half decent price but I've sort of gone off it now for a few reasons:

1. I don't have anywhere good to put it. I already have two modulars chilling in the closet.

2. It's a different layout from the rest of the modulars. I don't really like the look it produces once placed next to the other ones.

3. While the interior has some neat pieces it looks so sparse these days, especially compared to the Parisian Cafe.

Still mulling over it but I'm leaning towards passing.

Quick and dirty pics of the second floor of my new Mega Book Store. I still need to add books to the shelves, but I at least got the main architecture done. The third floor should go quickly as well since the exterior will be mostly the same (but without the signs).

The book sign.

Exterior. Third floor base is set. Now to just build it up. I think for the wall part where the signs would be I am going to make the brick discolored or have ivy growing.

Whenever the entire thing is done I will upload a ton of pics with all the details.

My mind read that as Mega Block Store first time. The book is superb.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
The local supermarket near me has a big stock of series 11 CMFs, hopefully they'll get the movie ones soon. Would be nice to see those start to trickle out. Are they available in the UK yet? I haven't seen any in the wild, but I haven't looked far really.

Rootbeer

Banned
Oh, what retailer will have that one?

Polybags are the worst to find for me. All the stores I go to have the same polybags that have been sitting there since last summer. They never mark them down either.

I have no idea how my local TRU is going to get rid of the piles of Christmas Polybags that nobody is buying. They are overflowing at the polybag kiosk thingie.

I do have one tip though. Check the seasonal isle right now for the valentines and easter stuff that is slowly appearing in many stores. Saw some lego polys there at Target. It's this one. Hope that as Easter approaches there will be more different ones.

neonglow

Oh, what retailer will have that one?

Polybags are the worst to find for me. All the stores I go to have the same polybags that have been sitting there since last summer. They never mark them down either.

I have no idea how my local TRU is going to get rid of the piles of Christmas Polybags that nobody is buying. They are overflowing at the polybag kiosk thingie.

I do have one tip though. Check the seasonal isle right now for the valentines and easter stuff that is slowly appearing in many stores. Saw some lego polys there at Target. It's this one. Hope that as Easter approaches there will be more different ones.

No idea which retailer will have it. It was found in Europe. I do wish all polybags were available at more retailers. I usually overpay for them just because you might only see it once in a store.

mrkgoo

No idea which retailer will have it. It was found in Europe. I do wish all polybags were available at more retailers. I usually overpay for them just because you might only see it once in a store.

The only polybags I've EVER seen in NZ, were promotional ones, like giveaways.

kinda sucks.

phonciple bone: that book sign is awesome.

Anyway, I think I asked a little earlier but I got no response:

What happened to the moc-contest threads here? Were they still going? I only ever participated in one, because the other sets were unavailable here.

I think the key to making them interesting is to have them more frequently, but much more low-ley, i.e no prizes, less fancy Opening posts etc.

Krilekk

Banned
The things you find it small stores. Winter Village Bakery and Post Office, $60 each in perfect condition. Next holiday season will show if I build them or just keep them in the box.

The only polybags I've EVER seen in NZ, were promotional ones, like giveaways.

kinda sucks.

phonciple bone: that book sign is awesome.

Anyway, I think I asked a little earlier but I got no response:

What happened to the moc-contest threads here? Were they still going? I only ever participated in one, because the other sets were unavailable here.

I think the key to making them interesting is to have them more frequently, but much more low-ley, i.e no prizes, less fancy Opening posts etc.

It's been a while.
We could start a new one, I might find some time for organising it. :)
Any one else what to weigh in on the less fancy no prizes et al?

neonglow

It's been a while.
We could start a new one, I might find some time for organising it. :)
Any one else what to weigh in on the less fancy no prizes et al?

We should vote again on a new 2014 set since some of the 2013 are getting hard to find. How about some digital prizes to give away? Less hassle with having to mail stuff around the world.

That is an old set: Aerial Defense Unit (8971)

8971-1.jpg

We should vote again on a new 2014 set since some of the 2013 are getting hard to find. How about some digital prizes to give away? Less hassle with having to mail stuff around the world.

To be honest with the small amount of prizes on offer in the past I don't see the problem, everyone would have been free to offer a digital prize anyway.
Browsing through the old threads I feel encouraged to get a new contest of the ground.
I will start putting something together.

I am open for set suggestions, especially from people who have difficulty getting a wide variaty of sets!

Ryuuroden

The book sign.

Looks fantastic phon. Just seeing that makes me uber excited about my move on the first. I haven't been able to MOC in over a year and I also have a massive backlog I want to start getting to work on. Sometime soon ill list my backlog and maybe you all can suggest what I start on. I have a feeling I know what the overwhelming vote will be for.

jpatez34

Neo Member
Just ordered my first (and definitley not least) LEGO Movie set and 2 LEGO Movie CMF's!
Can't wait to build the Super Cycle Chase!

The book is nice but... to me the highlight so far is the front entrance door! From afar it KIND OF looks like revolving doors, but they're not right? Even so, i love the solid, slightly rustic look of it!

I think the MOC contests should be themed rather than set-based. Set a part or size limit if you want to stop the people with huge collections having it too easy :)

I think the MOC contests should be themed rather than set-based. Set a part or size limit if you want to stop the people with huge collections having it too easy :)

Ok, we've discussed this many times after 3 set based contests I will come up with a theme based one.
People with huge collections will always have an advantage though, but I think we have sufficient members to justify this.
Won’t be so open for non-LEGO GAF members though.

Ryuuroden

What type of cameras do you all use to photograph your MOC's. I am thinking of going the dslr route, I just am kinda iffy about spending that sort of money. I would be using the camera for other things too its just there are so many things I need to get besides a camera. I have also thought about going the phone camera route as some have gotten really good but that also has a lot of limitations. Ill take suggestions on brands, etc. Of course I will be getting much of my information from camera sites in the end. Just looking for recommendations to start the search from fellow AFOL's. With the fact that I will finally have a LEGO dedicated room soon, I plan on taking lots of photos of my creations.

Also what is the best type of lighting to use both for displaying LEGO, working with it and photographing it. Up to this point I have lived with what I have had available but now I can do something more and I want to prevent discoloration and such if that even happens anymore.

I just use my iPhone or iPad to take pictures. It is all I have. Well, we have an old Canon point and shoot that is good for macro shots, but the lighting in my apartment is so horrid and I dont have the room to set any good places up to shoot. Hopefully that changes when we move.

I now have the chance of getting the Haunted House at a half decent price but I've sort of gone off it now for a few reasons:

1. I don't have anywhere good to put it. I already have two modulars chilling in the closet.

2. It's a different layout from the rest of the modulars. I don't really like the look it produces once placed next to the other ones.

3. While the interior has some neat pieces it looks so sparse these days, especially compared to the Parisian Cafe.

Still mulling over it but I'm leaning towards passing.

Just buy it! You'll regret it if you don't. I'm sure others here will attest to its greatness. If you change your mind later, I'm sure you can easily sell it for what you paid for it.

B-Wing has Ten Numb, Airen Cracken, and a new Y-wing pilot.

I would love to see some pics of these sets. Are there any? I have tried to go in and look in this thread.. but I cant find anything.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
I have been sorting and organizing my collection for the last couple weeks. I have just now realized that I cannot find my delorean. I have doc and Marty but the car seems to have disappeared during our move into the house. I still have the box and the extra pieces for the alternate builds. This is troubling.

The book sign.

WOW! Two highlights for me are the BOOK SIGNS and ESCALATORS. I will "borrow" the book design for sure. So simple, but so awesome!
Overall, it looks so good it will fit in with the LEGO modulars.

I don't think this has been posted yet. It's a polybag that has Rapunzel.

Good luck finding that polybag. I want and probably a lot of AFOLs and girls.

I have been sorting and organizing my collection for the last couple weeks. I have just now realized that I cannot find my delorean. I have doc and Marty but the car seems to have disappeared during our move into the house. I still have the box and the extra pieces for the alternate builds. This is troubling.

It may have traveled into the future and will appear shortly. I'm sure it was misplaced. I just moved and just started stuffing all sorts of leftovers into different boxes. I'm very organized and OCD, but I'm still looking for some stuff after a few months.

Top Bottom