• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghostmind

I'm going to preface this by saying I haven't heard anything yet about a reveal there, but BrickFair Alabama is this coming weekend (January 17 & 18), and LEGO has unveiled sets at this show previously (Palace Cinema being an example).

Vyer

I have a LEGO Green Lantern now.

This, along with a LEGO AT-AT, all in a month's time. lego goals being met left and right.

I'm going to preface this by saying I haven't heard anything yet about a reveal there, but BrickFair Alabama is this coming weekend (January 17 & 18), and LEGO has unveiled sets at this show previously (Palace Cinema being an example).

sopranos3-2.gif

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I'm still building Silver Mine Shootout and it's still absolutely awesome.

However, there are two things I dislike about it. The plastic sheet thing with the waterfall art that's just completely 2D and a pretty lame effect, and the slide, which is just a pretty horrible big ugly piece in general. Anyways, as I was building, I got to the waterfall part and I put the plastic sheet on and I disliked it, but I was going to live with it. Then I got to putting the slide in and that's when I decided I couldn't take it and was going to MOC some changes. This was too good of a set to be tainted by literally just two pieces.

So anyways, I simply removed the slide (I'll figure out if I'll change anything in that area or just leave it as is when I'm done building the set) and I set about building a waterfall out of bricks. I'm very pleased with the outcome:

I basically just built a waterfall out of some of the clear pieces (which you can't see too well in my not-so-good photo) supplied by the set already for the waterfall/river, and also some of my own white pieces.

You can see what the waterfall did look like in this photo if you don't know.

But now I have a problem. Now that I've adjusted the set, the perfectionist in me can't help but think of all the other ways I could tweak the set to just make it a little bit better. I think I'll probably stop with that though, since that was my only major issue and overall I'm incredibly happy with the rest of the set. But there's still that itch...

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
I'm amazed how good Chima's gotten. I thought it would've been dead by now, but the ice sets are fantastic. Icebite's Claw Driller may be my next big pickup because I'm a sucker for mechs and these polar bears are awesome.

Ponn

Banned

I will not be tempted this time.

Since I have no other new Lego today (oh no!) I opened two polybags to get two new Chima figures: Crawley and Frax. Even though the actual sets do practically nothing for me, the figures are fantastic. So much detail, even though it's mostly obscured by all accessories.

For now, my Chima figures are decorating the fridge through the use of the magnet holders. Maybe I should get a few more...

Yeah I love the Chima polybags also. The figures are really cool since I don't care for most of their sets.

My dorm roommate caught me playing with Bionicles lol
Maybe I shouldn't have them here as it would be tiring to explain all my Lego to everyone that comes in

I bought action figures in college. I didn't give a shit what my roommates said. And I used the figures to make stop motion films for my animation classes.

Are there Technic sets that don't look too... Technic? I mean, personally speaking, I think Technic bricks are ugly as sin, and some of the models really suffer from it.

If they don't look Technic then they are basically System sets that use technic bricks. I stay away from Technic sets as it sets me down yet another dangerous path.

Looking at the sets of the past few years, it looks like they don't even use the technic brick (I mean the standard system brick with holes on the sides) anymore. It's all technic beams now. Seems like sets after 1999 no longer use studs as I didn't notice any sets with technic bricks (the one with studs).

http://brickset.com/sets/theme-Technic/

I think a person just has to view the sets with a certain mindset. For example. most people playing with LEGO accept the studs look on the sets as it is a key element in the building system.

I personally like the look of technic sets.

http://brickset.com/sets/42011-1/Race-Car
http://brickset.com/sets/8420-1/Street-Bike
http://brickset.com/sets/41999-1/4x4-Crawler-Exclusive-Edition

I see illegal connections.

Not all illegal connections are equal. :) That particular connection used to be allowed in the really early sets in the 70s. Nothing wrong with illegal connections for personal use. One should be aware some illegal connections cause stress on the elements so are damaging.

Yeah I love the Chima polybags also. The figures are really cool since I don't care for most of their sets.

I agree. It's the minifigs that attracted me to the theme. I only wish they had some generic Chima minifigs with less of the tribal print so I could reuse them.

The torsos of the "fire tribe" like the one linked are easily reusable. Unfortunately the "ice tribe" ones aren't (no much use for zombie furry torsos).

Enjoy your ice mech polybag when it arrives and thanks for the hot dog man!
I will! Thanks for the trade. Targets around where I am doesn't appear to have the Ice Mech only the Fire Bike and Star Wars Shuttle.

My daughter really loves the Birds. She build the Robin and the Hummingbird and I build the Blue Jay. They make a great display set.

wVWtLLzl.jpg

neonglow

The bigfigs need a revamp with more interchangeable pieces. I think the bootleggers have improved upon these with detachable heads that turn.

Ponn

Banned

Ugh, sticking with Hulk Lab Smash. I want the Hulkbuster but may bricklink Quicksilver to avoid that other set he is in. I'm sure it will be overpriced because of the big fig.

Quick weird question. Say down the road I may want to MOC like a bank type modular building or Daily Bugle. Would the Tower Bridge set make a good parts set for something like that?

ghostmind

The bigfigs need a revamp with more interchangeable pieces. I think the bootleggers have improved upon these with detachable heads that turn.

They really "cheaped out" on the bigfig design, and I think the lack of poseability, etc makes them one of the least "LEGO" things currently in production.

They definitely need to go back to the drawing board - that concept design I have posted previously looks like it would be great (but at what cost).

CVNzd6k.jpg

Imagine how popular (and valuable) bigfigs would be if they were able to duplicate all of the properties of their smaller counterparts.

Quick weird question. Say down the road I may want to MOC like a bank type modular building or Daily Bugle. Would the Tower Bridge set make a good parts set for something like that?

Are we a bunch of evil enablers in this thread? Hell yes!

Seriously, I have been pimping Tower Bridge as a parts pack for as long as I have owned it. If you do any type of modular style or building, Tower Bridge is a godsend for parts. Tons of useful parts, and in great quantity as well. Top it off with it being well below the $.10 a brick threshold, and it is one of the easiest sets to recommend, even if it is still expensive as hell.

EDIT: Just look at that parts list. So many useful parts for a modular, and in such high quantities.

EDIT 2: Those quantities are wrong. It comes with far more than 200 of the tan cheese slopes.

Ponn

Banned
Are we a bunch of evil enablers in this thread? Hell yes!

Well the colors match what I would be going for with both and its a shitload of pieces for a great price. I'm having an idea for a cool heist scene with a vault ala Dark Knight.

I will probably be giving up a new 3DS to do all this but my gaming backlog is so huge it doesn't matter.

Well the colors match what I would be going for with both and its a shitload of pieces for a great price. I'm having an idea for a cool heist scene with a vault ala Dark Knight.

I will probably be giving up a new 3DS to do all this but my gaming backlog is so huge it doesn't matter.
3DS will just go down in price later. Tower Bridge will only go up in price if you don't get it while it is in print. :)

Ponn

Banned
3DS will just go down in price later. Tower Bridge will only go up in price if you don't get it while it is in print. :)

I love Lego-GAF's ability to reason an addiction.

My brother in law is a carpenter and i'm moving closer to him and my sister. He's agreed to build me some display shelves for my sets. I'm so hyped right now for the possibilities.

I love Lego-GAF's ability to reason an addiction.

My brother in law is a carpenter and i'm moving closer to him and my sister. He's agreed to build me some display shelves for my sets. I'm so hyped right now for the possibilities.
And who says we can't be reasonable?
And jealous about the display shelves. Sounds awesome.
Think I can convince my wife to buy some shelves to install in the wall and have a modular run over the tv soon.

OmlnUXJ.jpg

Hmmm, I think I like the old Hulk better... what's with the printed toes for one.

That's the official LEGO Hulk for the Age of Ultron sets?
Printed toes are definitely a hulk step back. Shaking my head at that change. The printed pants can't be blamed on LEGO as I'm sure it's based on the movie. Only thing that is an OK variation is the hair.

Best big fig Hulk, just because of purple pants:

sh095.jpg

But the real best Hulk figure is mini fig Hulk, just because you can do so much more with him.

sh037.jpg

I agree. The Lou Ferrigno minifig is best because it's so much fun to play with.

Hulk minifig keychain is best way to get minifig Hulk. The only thing is you can't detach the legs and you need to replace the hair (which is inexpensive and easy to find thanks to Harry Potter).

"Hulk say buy my keychain!"
9345152202_bfa07fdc07.jpg

That's awesome; have fun!

On another note,did anybody get multiples of this? If so, PM me....I've got a ton of polybags (
or cash
) to trade

I have one. As much as I like to collect figures I don't mind selling my guy.

My dorm roommate caught me playing with Bionicles lol
Maybe I shouldn't have them here as it would be tiring to explain all my Lego to everyone that comes in

No shame here! My Bionicle are currently my favorite thing being displayed :D

They really need to re-release the mini fig Hulk. It was my favorite figure of the last few years just because of how fun it was, and so many parts have loose connections now from how many times I took him apart to put him in other situations.

They really need to re-release the mini fig Hulk. It was my favorite figure of the last few years just because of how fun it was, and so many parts have loose connections now from how many times I took him apart to put him in other situations.

I didn't even think about using Harry Potter hair on my "de-keychained" Hulk fig...good idea.

Experien

Put together my Tie Advanced prototype...pretty sweet and compact. not sure if I like Inquisitor's helmet though :/ The red visor is sweet but the shape is abit off for me.

Anyone have some tips for selecting stores in bricklink? Last time I made a MOC using brick link (my Lego gipsy danger) I ended up spending 80 bucks even though it was ~500 pieces since I had to pay shipping across five separate stores since I couldn't find one store that had all the parts I needed.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Just finished building Silver Mine Shootout! What an absolutely fantastic set. Maybe my favorite I've ever built (though that will probably soon be replaced by Pet Shop once I build that).

Anyways, I made a few modifications because there were just a few things that were bothering me about it. I could usually live with some things not being perfect, but the rest of the set was so good that I had to make it just right.

First, here's a better picture of the modified waterfall which I posted yesterday. Another advantage to it over the plastic sheet thing that was there before is that you can actually see glimpses of the silver deposits on the other side of the waterfall (but you can't really tell from this photo):

And then since I removed the slide and stole some of the pieces from the river for the waterfall, I had to make some modifications to this little area. So I added a ladder since I removed the slide and I also added some small banks to the river and used the two extra flat round grey pieces to make stepping stones over the river to get to the ladder. And I added some foamy water in the form of some white pieces to show that the water was going down into the waterfall:

And lastly, for some reason that was incomprehensible to me, the door on the shack is misaligned with the cave that it leads into, so I moved the whole shack forward one stud. It's kind of hard to tell by this picture, but here it is:

Rootbeer

Banned
Galactic Titan found at TRU. But it's $108 and can't find a way to price match it to $99. It's out of stock everywhere.

30% discount still in effect but the up charge cancels out most of it.

It had a hold sticker on it... Someone never picked it up. I price checked it hoping it was a returned item... Wasn't :(

Ryuuroden

They really "cheaped out" on the bigfig design, and I think the lack of poseability, etc makes them one of the least "LEGO" things currently in production.

They definitely need to go back to the drawing board - that concept design I have posted previously looks like it would be great (but at what cost).

CVNzd6k.jpg

Imagine how popular (and valuable) bigfigs would be if they were able to duplicate all of the properties of their smaller counterparts.

You would think the interchangeability of the concept design would be cheaper in the long run allowing them not have to make entire whole new molds each time. Instead all you have to do is make new body covers/heads or other attachments while keeping a standard main body. Plus more articulation would be a big selling point.

Galactic Titan found at TRU. But it's $108 and can't find a way to price match it to $99. It's out of stock everywhere.

It had a hold sticker on it... Someone never picked it up. I price checked it hoping it was a returned item... Wasn't :(

Was that at TRU in Emeryville? I was there yesterday and saw it as well. There were a bunch of the smaller GS sets there, but I don't collect the line so I don't remember the names. I was hoping to find a 4x4 Crawler there...wishful thinking, I know.

Rootbeer

Banned
Yeah... i'm sure someone will buy it soon even though it's overpriced.

Wish I could find that set at a bargain price...

So difficult to find good deals on sets I want these days. Even when clearance hits, I can't find anything on my want list.

IMO It's not worth picking up at full price.

Ryuuroden

IMO It's not worth picking up at full price.

Yeah, I agree that its not worth it at full price. But I pretty much feel that 90% of sets that are not exclusive sets are not worth paying full price for >.> But part of that is the fact that I buy a lot of sets so I try to find sales whenever possible even if its just 10% off. For Galaxy Squad, I think I got the 5 sets I did buy for average of 25% off and that I would probably not go for a discount less than that. Only two are worth msrp for me, Eradicator Mech and Hive Crawler. Those 2 are also the only ones I still have on display :)

The local toyshop still doesn't have the 2015 stuff, but a national webshop had pretty good prices, so I made an order for five smaller sets plus one older one. Hopefully I get it before this weekend... I really want to finish this MOC of mine, can't wait to show you!

robochimp

When Toys R us had them half off I accidentally ordered 2. Are you in the US? If so my guess is with shipping it would be around $75

Ravek

Banned
The local toyshop still doesn't have the 2015 stuff, but a national webshop had pretty good prices, so I made an order for five smaller sets plus one older one. Hopefully I get it before this weekend... I really want to finish this MOC of mine, can't wait to show you!

Lets get a hint of what the MOC is...please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom