• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I knew Gaf had a LEGO thread but I didn't realize it was still this active. I'll have to post some pics of my collection and modular setup

tumblr_mcylt4pUts1rk4qm0o1_r1_400.gif

Hey Lego-Gaf. I just got approved on neogaf.

Been collecting Lego for a little over a year now. Been shifting my attention to figures these days, but I still have some love for Lego. The Parisian Restaurant is my favorite set.

Last stuff I bought was the Snow speeder, Storm troopers, minifig series, exo suit and the laboratory set.

Been collecting Lego for a little over a year now. Been shifting my attention to figures these days, but I still have some love for Lego. The Parisian Restaurant is my favorite set.

Last stuff I bought was the Snow speeder, Storm troopers, minifig series, exo suit and the laboratory set.

Sets. There's...too many of them!

shiba5

For anyone still on the fence about the Detective Agency, it's quite a nice set. It isn't as detailed as the Parisian Cafe, but it has some cool things like a pool table, dart board, ceiling fan, a rooftop water tower, and a kind of "foliage" I haven't seen before. It also has several hidden compartments.

Vyer

Well then. Nevermind about Chima being better. I got my first ever LEGO parts mistake in my Icebite's Claw Driller. I got two of the same sided grey plane wing pieces on the tiny bear vehicle (both 4290149, needed a 4290150). Sigh.

eh, I had it happen with a modular once. just happens from time to time

Speaking of that, I swear my parisian restaraunt didn't come with one of the light bluish grey 2 x 3 plates. I looked everywhere, and couldn't find the missing one. Still hasn't shown up. Luckily I had a spare. Maybe its under a couch somehwere, but I checked the area pretty damn thouroughly.

Thanks for the support guys. I'm definitely gonna talk to the guy first. I don't know that talking to my manager would even DO anything. I don't have 100% of the story since the guy hasn't tried to defend his actions yet, but it's possible that my manager was gonna put it back on the shelf so he bought it for himself. I was told he straight up took it out of my bag though, so we'll see. His shift ended two hours before my manager's, so it's not like he was running out of time to figure out of it would go back on the shelf or he'd buy it.

Just the fact that he didn't even ask about it is what makes me so fuckin mad. I've never done anything to slight anyone at work, I'm super nice and always on the lookout for stuff that gets returned that I know my coworkers will like, I even offered to buy the Minecraft minifigs out of the damaged Crafting Box he bought for parts and he just gave them to me. So this is outta left field. What a shitty thing to do. Gonna let him try to explain himself first. :mad:

Anyway, on a more lighthearted note, I keep seeing people talk about their secret stashes and backlogs, have we done lists? I'm curious what everyone's got on tap, or at least how many sets they have put away.

ghostmind

One nice bonus for attending the LEGO Club meetings, other than the small set to take home, are the exclusive shirts.

Here are a couple of my son's favorites:

PtgLV8C.jpg
ig40PJm.jpg

LEGO Club meetings aren't free, but between the in-store build experience, the take-home set, and the shirts (and often other goodies), I think that for kids they are well worth it.

Bored and not wanting something big to build, I finally opened up the Melting Room set my wife bought me for Christmas. As I built this fun little set, I was reminded of something that has been nagging at the back of my mind ever since I built my first LEGO Movie set almost a year ago. (My, how time flies!)

6055611.jpg

I want to know what crazy uses they will use the Piece of Resistance for in other sets. Looking on Brickset, it has only appeared in LEGO Movie sets thus far, including the silver variant of the piece in SPACESHIP!

I first thought the Unikitty tail would be the random piece from the line that would only appear in a few sets then disappear, but Detective's Office showed that the mold can be used for other things.

So why has this piece not shown up in something else yet? It is a rather different piece of SNOT waiting to be used, and I would think LEGO wouldn't make a mold for this piece just to use in this one line. Same with Metalbeard's beard.

ericb!

Neo Member
I'm definitely gonna talk to the guy first. I don't know that talking to my manager would even DO anything.

What's the point of having a manager if you can't go to them with an issue? It seems like you're fine without the set, you just want an explanation. I would hope your manager could at least give you that.

What's the point of having a manager if you can't go to them with an issue? It seems like you're fine without the set, you just want an explanation. I would hope your manager could at least give you that.

True, but it is a shit move to bypass the person who bought the set. He at least owes him that. If he goes direct to the manager without talking to the other employee first, that could make for a really awkward work environment. At least over something so small and trivial.

As shitty as the situation is, it really is small and trivial. Now, if it were something like sexual harassment or outright theft, then going direct to a manager is the thing to do.

mojiimbo

One nice bonus for attending the LEGO Club meetings, other than the small set to take home, are the exclusive shirts.

Here are a couple of my son's favorites:

PtgLV8C.jpg
ig40PJm.jpg

LEGO Club meetings aren't free, but between the in-store build experience, the take-home set, and the shirts (and often other goodies), I think that for kids they are well worth it.
You probably already know, but they changed the way clubs work starting this month. They lowered the price from $25/$20 to $10, but there's no more t-shirts. Now it's supposed to be more about the build. The build might vary store by store but here they get that month's monthly build(this might be store dependent) plus they get to fill a small box with roughly the same volume of a small PAB cup with parts to build something that's themed with the build(this should be across all stores.) This month the free build was an alien so they could be tasked with building a spaceship, for example.

True, but it is a shit move to bypass the person who bought the set. He at least owes him that. If he goes direct to the manager without talking to the other employee first, that could make for a really awkward work environment. At least over something so small and trivial.

As shitty as the situation is, it really is small and trivial. Now, if it were something like sexual harassment or outright theft, then going direct to a manager is the thing to do.
I agree with Phon. It's better to just ask the guy if he took it out of the hold bag.

Ryuuroden

You probably already know, but they changed the way clubs work starting this month. They lowered the price from $25/$20 to $10, but there's no more t-shirts. Now it's supposed to be more about the build. The build might vary store by store but here they get that month's monthly build(this might be store dependent) plus they get to fill a small box with roughly the same volume of a small PAB cup with parts to build something that's themed with the build(this should be across all stores.) This month the free build was an alien so they could be tasked with building a spaceship, for example.

They also changed the store window display for LUG groups deal they had been doing for a while. It's a pretty crappy change too. IMO not even worth it for LUG groups to put in displays anymore. Our LUG has a great relationship with our local store too so we were not one of the problem LUG's that caused the change to occur.

Seems like we have a lot of new kids on the block lately. Ba da dum!

Welcome!

ghostmind

I knew it was changing, I just didn't know how. Sorry to sound pessimistic, but I think this change is pretty lame and feels like LEGO trying to cut back and save a buck. The Club meetings were their own thing, and now it looks like they are just rehashing the mini-model build, which was never as popular (at least in my area). So no more T-shirts and no more "free" sets (the same meeting where my son got the MF shirt he also got the MF Swamp Creature set and the GS Space Swarmer for the Galaxy Squad meeting).

ttwFt0a.jpg

Toxi

Banned
The first place winner of the Bionicle golden mask contest was just announced: Akutahn, built by Roa McToa of BZpower.

The article includes some pictures of her past MOCs, and my god that blue and white dragon is beautiful.

Guys. GUYS. Icebite's Claw Drill is freakin' fantastic.

Here's my super duper not-a-review review photoshoot thing. I had a lot of fun with it!
Wow, I'm surprised such a big system set is so posable. It's also pretty adorable to have a polar bear driving a polar bear-shaped mech.

Glad to see you aren't too soured by the manufacturing error.

So we just finished my custom built CMF stand and it looks like this:

1qsp0Jo.jpg

hoping to fit around 24 CMF series on there :)

Right now i am up to the current S13 (which i still need to put up) and obviously i still got a lot missing especially from S1 through 5 :(

I always leave a tiny space between the Series so you can tell them apart...

MIfvcIZ.jpg

Hopefully it will look glorious when it's ALL COMPLETE in a couple years :)))

1qsp0Jo.jpg

Right now i am up to the current S13 (which i still need to put up) and obviously i still got a lot missing especially from S1 through 5 :(

MIfvcIZ.jpg

Crazy cool.

And after all these years, I still hear Powers Boothe when I read your posts. It makes them more intimidating.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, I'm surprised such a big system set is so posable. It's also pretty adorable to have a polar bear driving a polar bear-shaped mech.

Glad to see you aren't too soured by the manufacturing error.

Heh, no wrong part's gonna stop my enjoyment! I've been craving the Claw Driller for a while and it did not disappoint! I especially like the gunner pose and the sit-down facepalm.

And just in case you guys didn't see the bottom half of my review, I took those crummy little barricades in the Ice Bear Tribe pack and merged them with the cannon using the extra parts. Felt like a pro using those extra discs as makeshift wheels, and it rolls pretty well too!

ericb!

Neo Member

The other employee has no right to know about what WordAssassin says to his manager. It should be a confidential conversation. To me, it sounds like WordAssassin would like an explanation, not a resolution. If the manager made the call to allow the other employee to buy the set, and tells WordAssassin his reasoning, then there's the explanation. But, if the manager says that the other employee said WordAssassin told him he could take the set out of his hold bag, then that's the explanation. And if it is in fact the latter, then the other employee seriously damaged his reputation.

The other employee has no right to know about what WordAssassin says to his manager. It should be a confidential conversation. To me, it sounds like WordAssassin would like an explanation, not a resolution. If the manager made the call to allow the other employee to buy the set, and tells WordAssassin his reasoning, then there's the explanation. But, if the manager says that the other employee said WordAssassin told him he could take the set out of his hold bag, then that's the explanation. And if it is in fact the latter, then the other employee seriously damaged his reputation.

I agree with Phon. This is, after all, a $20 LEGO set. The context is important.

Rootbeer

Banned
Buy yourself a UCS Slave I with that 50% discount to make yourself feel better. The Boba Fett minifig is better in it anyway :p

I know how i'd handle it. I'd straight up go up to that employee the next time I saw him and be all "Hey man I was going to buy that!", see if he'll sell it back to you. If the manager isn't getting you anywhere, try a friendly approach.

What's he going to say? "Too bad"? No, he's most likely going to apologize and work it out with you. And if not, he doesn't have a right to be working there.
I agree with Phon. This is, after all, a $20 LEGO set. The context is important.

$25 bro! TWENTY FIVE!

When it comes to animated movies, the Oscars are a joke and some random person on GAF is literally more trustworthy with their opinions. The people at the Oscars barely even watch the animated movies they nominate, let alone take them seriously.

When it comes to animated movies, the Oscars are a joke and some random person on GAF is literally more trustworthy with their opinions. The people at the Oscars barely even watch the animated movies they nominate, let alone take them seriously.

Think of it as more like behind the back business deals and friends doing favors over critical judging.

MIfvcIZ.jpg

I think it's going to look great once you backfill the earlier series. Very nice! On a side note, where does the Lego Movie CMF line fit in? =)

Buy yourself a UCS Slave I with that 50% discount to make yourself feel better. The Boba Fett minifig is better in it anyway :p

I know how i'd handle it. I'd straight up go up to that employee the next time I saw him and be all "Hey man I was going to buy that!", see if he'll sell it back to you. If the manager isn't getting you anywhere, try a friendly approach.

What's he going to say? "Too bad"? No, he's most likely going to apologize and work it out with you. And if not, he doesn't have a right to be working there

$25 bro! TWENTY FIVE!
Exactly. Resolving the issue with the person directly is the best thing to do. Now, if he does go with the "Too bad!" approach, then just notify the manager about a problem going on in the store of people taking other people's holds. Don't name names unless asked, but if the person in question was maliciously doing it then it could be there are other major problems at the store such as theft.

1qsp0Jo.jpg

MIfvcIZ.jpg

That's amazing.

Ryuuroden

1qsp0Jo.jpg

MIfvcIZ.jpg

I made something like this completely out of black LEGO but I took it apart for Orthanc. I am planning on making something better than I had before, this time out of wood. Glad to see someone else with the same ideas.

Oscar snub for the LEGO Movie though... I feel bad for all of those who worked on the film.

Yeah, that is pretty dumb. The LEGO Movie was really well done, it should not have been excluded. Wonder if they were like "well it has some live action in it, its not fully animated, bla bla bla."

I think it's going to look great once you backfill the earlier series. Very nice! On a side note, where does the Lego Movie CMF line fit in? =)

It doesn't, i want to stick strictly to the numbered CMF series! Thinking of making an extra smaller side stand for stuff like the Lego movie and the Simpsons series etc.

It doesn't, i want to stick strictly to the numbered CMF series! Thinking of making an extra smaller side stand for stuff like the Lego movie and the Simpsons series etc.

That's a good idea. I like how focused you are. I may have some of the earlier series laying around. If I find any that you're missing, I'll send you a PM.

Ryuuroden

On the lack of baseplates in sets that we talked about earlier. I started thinking about the 16x16 regular plates we have been seeing and thinking how amazing it would be if LEGO started replacing 32x32 baseplates with 32x32 plates of different colors in sets. Right now you can't attach anything to the bottom of baseplates but if you had them as plates then it would be much easier to do Lego subfloors and underground areas etc for large displays by being able to directly connect to the baseplate from top and bottom. The building options would grow so much. I would easily spend more for baseplates that had that compatibility. Would be awesome if they did the same thing with the next version of Road baseplates. Just make them as thick as a regular plate and have them smooth and printed where the road is but with all the reinforcements and connections underneath so you could build Turtle lairs under the roads etc and view from the side.

robochimp

With one building down, Pet Shop has been really fun to build so far. My son and I will be starting the actual pet shop this afternoon.

I'm going to have $200 in Amazon gift cards soon, how does the Simpsons' house stack up against the modulars?

The Kwik E Mart had better come with Frostilicus.

K5X9Ttt.jpg

With one building down, Pet Shop has been really fun to build so far. My son and I will be starting the actual pet shop this afternoon.

I'm going to have $200 in Amazon gift cards soon, how does the Simpsons' house stack up against the modulars?

The Kwik E Mart had better come with Frostilicus.

K5X9Ttt.jpg

And a moon pie.

shiba5

I just picked up the Sea Cow. I'm a little pissed to see that it comes with stickers. I feel like at a certain price point, the bricks should be printed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom