• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryuuroden

Has it been mentioned that classic green 32x32 baseplates have been discontinued now and replaced with bright green baseplates at a 60% markup? That is kind of some bullshit there. I mean even though I completely cover baseplates with other plates most of the time, I am still not a fan of this change. Talk is this is a change like grey to bluish grey was, aka permanent.

Yeah the new baseplate prices are super whack. They change absolutely nothing other than the color and they go from $5 to $8? Why? Because of the new packaging? Are those new colors really that much more expensive to produce?

ghostmind

LEGO really seems to have a dislike for baseplates lately - remember when you could get a cool baseplate or two with many large sets? Now, other than the modulars, it feels like they do everything they can not to include one.

LEGO really seems to have a dislike for baseplates lately - remember when you could get a cool baseplate or two with many large sets? Now, other than the modulars, it feels like they do everything they can not to include one.

Yeah, lots of play sets would greatly benefit from base plates (like the city swamp force ones, it would be pretty cool to have some 'water' to drive the boats around in and put the crocodiles on

Ponn

Banned
I'm glad I picked up a couple blue and a green one before this. They are handy for the scenes I do for Halloween and Christmas.

I got my full Jan 1st box finally. Birds in the house! I may wait to assemble that though and do Brainiac first. I love the box for the MF AT-AT. I may need to get the MF Snowspeeder to go with it now.

Has it been mentioned that classic green 32x32 baseplates have been discontinued now and replaced with bright green baseplates at a 60% markup? That is kind of some bullshit there. I mean even though I completely cover baseplates with other plates most of the time, I am still not a fan of this change. Talk is this is a change like grey to bluish grey was, aka permanent.

Yep, really pisses me off. LEGO has a way of jacking up the prices a lot lately. I thought the 33% markup of CMFs was horrible, 60% is outrageous. If it costs more to make, then markup the prices gradually please.

Kudos to some guy that bought 20+ blue baseplates at my local LEGO store before the price hike. He either saved a ton of money or just made an instant 60% on his investment if he sells them.

ghostmind

0zPyhiK.jpg

Ryuuroden

JANG reviews the Ultra Agents UltraCopter:

http://youtu.be/7SA8I4ztCbY

ciKJXgY.jpg

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

EDIT: spoiler -
it lives up to the hype - Ultra Agents win again.

WOW, that looks amazing. I guess if we didn't already know it before, we know it now. Ultra Agents is the legitimate best original theme successor to Galaxy Squad and Monster Fighters before that. Everything about Ultra agents from the vehicles to the characters screams awesome. I actually enjoy Lego's original bad guys more than I do the ones from Marvel and DC. Probably because they are new. Needs an Ultra Agents TV show but Marvel and DC would probably threaten to not allow a renewal of licence if LEGO did that.

ghostmind

WOW, that looks amazing. I guess if we didn't already know it before, we know it now. Ultra Agents is the legitimate best original theme successor to Galaxy Squad and Monster Fighters before that. Everything about Ultra agents from the vehicles to the characters screams awesome. I actually enjoy Lego's original bad guys more than I do the ones from Marvel and DC. Probably because they are new. Needs an Ultra Agents TV show but Marvel and DC would probably threaten to not allow a renewal of licence if LEGO did that.

Agreed - it may not have the hype here that GS and MF had, but it is currently LEGO's premium in-house theme.

Cannot wait until Toy Fair, when we get to see the Ultra Agents Ocean HQ.

neonglow

Agreed - it may not have the hype here that GS and MF had, but it is currently LEGO's premium in-house theme.

Cannot wait until Toy Fair, when we get to see the Ultra Agents Ocean HQ.

I'm a fan since I keep recommending the Ultra Agents HQ multiple times. I wish I was around to get the first version.

melike75

Neo Member
Hey, can I ask you guys a question?

About ...3 months ago, after having a year with virtually no LEGO at all I sold a bunch of stuff on ebay and bought about 40 odd sets including the modulars ive missed, the seacow etc. It was great! I pretty much caught up on everything I had missed out on during the year. Happy times.

Only one problem.

I cant bring myself to build any of it.

I want to! For sure, I want to! Im so excited to get on with the seacow or the parisian restaurant but I just cant will myself to do it! Does this ever happen to anyone else? I see all the posts especially recently with people building anticipated sets within minutes of getting home with it and wonder why I literally cannot do that right now.

Ironically i do find LEGO very important with helping my anxiety/depression swings - it really REALLY helped me out a lot a few years ago - but at the moment its just adding to it! ;)

I dont know whether its that im too afraid to dive into my pile as i do like having a backlog to look forward to or whether its just that I cant do it due to guilt because im doing something for myself ( I dont have a lot of personal time, I work at home in comics/kids illustration/etc and have 3 kids under 10 so theres not a lot of me time).

It would help i guess if my kids were super into LEGO but I just end up letting them take over if they help or watch so that might be it too. Heh.

Anyway - just wondered if there were any like me who want to make sets but cant bring themselves to open the box...

neonglow

I picked up all the Mega Bloks Minions blind boxes. It was the best way to get the figures without buying the brick sets. I have to say Mega Bloks did a good job with these and the simple smooth form of the Minions translates well into plastic.

Each figure has a head/torso, googles with eyes, rubber overall outfit, 2 feet and 2 arms. The arms and feet are connected using ball joints. You can rotate the hands similar to minifigures.

If anyone else is interested in picking these up, you can tell which figure is in the box by the code number on the bottom of the box.

Rootbeer

Banned
3 kids under 10?

Why not recruit some kid help. Would be a fun activity to do on weekends together or whatnot.

Make sure your kids are experiencing the magic of LEGO :)

Maybe your kids would be more into LEGO if they got to experience it with you and see how interesting it can be.

So I had that Desert Skiff on hold... and was gonna go in during the week to pick it up... and apparently today one of my coworkers went, "Well, he's not working again until Saturday, so I'm gonna buy it" and took it out of my hold bag and bought it for himself.

Don't... really know what to do with this info since it was my manager that rung him up... I mean if he'd have asked me I woulda just let him have the set... but I feel.. really pissed off? Like, if it had been on hold for too long (it was there less than 2 days) and it was gonna get put back on the shelf, he coulda called or texted me, "Hey, it's gonna go back on the floor, want me to buy it for you?" That's what I would have done. I would never fucking snake a set out of someone's hold bag for myself.

Zerojul

So I had that Desert Skiff on hold... and was gonna go in during the week to pick it up... and apparently today one of my coworkers went, "Well, he's not working again until Saturday, so I'm gonna buy it" and took it out of my hold bag and bought it for himself.

Don't... really know what to do with this info since it was my manager that rung him up... I mean if he'd have asked me I woulda just let him have the set... but I feel.. really pissed off? Like, if it had been on hold for too long (it was there less than 2 days) and it was gonna get put back on the shelf, he coulda called or texted me, "Hey, it's gonna go back on the floor, want me to buy it for you?" That's what I would have done. I would never fucking snake a set out of someone's hold bag for myself.

Yesh, that's low. I would be mighty pissed off too :/

ericb!

Neo Member

My suggestion would be to talk to your manager about it. Handling issues affecting employees is part of her/his job.

Only one problem.

I want to! For sure, I want to! Im so excited to get on with the seacow or the parisian restaurant but I just cant will myself to do it! Does this ever happen to anyone else? I see all the posts especially recently with people building anticipated sets within minutes of getting home with it and wonder why I literally cannot do that right now.

This is me right now. I bought a bunch of big sets over the last two months and pretty much cleared out my "to by" backlog. My wife gave me the restaurant for Christmas so I did build it but I had to force myself to so she'd know I appreciated it. The rest of the sets are sitting in a closet and I just can't bring myself to build them. Don't know why...I've taken Slave One out like 10 times and keep putting it back.

The weird thing is that I often pick up smaller $25-$50 sets and I'll build them that night...it's just the large ones I have a problem with.

melike75

Neo Member
This is me right now. I bought a bunch of big sets over the last two months and pretty much cleared out my "to by" backlog. My wife gave me the restaurant for Christmas so I did build it but I had to force myself to so she'd know I appreciated it. The rest of the sets are sitting in a closet and I just can't bring myself to build them. Don't know why...I've taken Slave One out like 10 times and keep putting it back.

The weird thing is that I often pick up smaller $25-$50 sets and I'll build them that night...it's just the large ones I have a problem with.

Ah! SO its not just me then. The only thing i have made recently are the small sets also. Its not like I'm burnt out or anything..its weird.

And yeah, our kids know the fun of LEGO. Our oldest got a few chima sets for Christmas - our 5 year old got a bunch of minecraft sets which he devoured and my wife and daughter have been slowly sorting and organising our stuff back into he sets again so the 5 year old can make them (they were bought for the 11 year old when he was a tyke which got me into this whole thing again).

So yeah, LEGO everywhere and Im super keen to make stuff - I just..cant.

Weird.

Also - speaking of weird - Wordassassin - I'm with you man. That is just...not right. You gonna bring it up with him?

I would talk to your fellow employee and just tell him you really wished he would have talked with you before deciding on anything. If he had even the smallest option of being able to communicate with you, the least he should (not could) have done was notify you.

Totally a behind the back move.

Hey, can I ask you guys a question?

About ...3 months ago, after having a year with virtually no LEGO at all I sold a bunch of stuff on ebay and bought about 40 odd sets including the modulars ive missed, the seacow etc. It was great! I pretty much caught up on everything I had missed out on during the year. Happy times.

Only one problem.

Ironically i do find LEGO very important with helping my anxiety/depression swings - it really REALLY helped me out a lot a few years ago - but at the moment its just adding to it! ;)

I dont know whether its that im too afraid to dive into my pile as i do like having a backlog to look forward to or whether its just that I cant do it due to guilt because im doing something for myself ( I dont have a lot of personal time, I work at home in comics/kids illustration/etc and have 3 kids under 10 so theres not a lot of me time).

It would help i guess if my kids were super into LEGO but I just end up letting them take over if they help or watch so that might be it too. Heh.

Anyway - just wondered if there were any like me who want to make sets but cant bring themselves to open the box...

I am feeling something similar right now. Now that I am settled in, I have a huge log of sets to rebuild for display, and a few more to disassemble and put into the parts collective. I want to build something, but looking at all that still needs doing is just a bit overwhelming and makes me want to do nothing.

I get conflicting messages from my brain. One says, "Break down all the other sets and be done with organization!" Another says, "Build those sets for display! They have been in storage too long!" And another says, "This is all too much. If I do one, the other gets ignored. I just want to MOC, but I have so much other crap to do. AHHHH!"

Don't go to the manager yet. Go to the employee that snaked the set first. Just politely say that you had a set on hold and noticed that it is gone, and that you heard he was the one who bought it. Don't be aggressive or mean about it, but just ask why he would take something that was obviously on hold for you. Depending on his response, that will color where things go.
As far as the manager, maybe he didn't know it was on hold for you. Maybe he thought you told the other guy he could have it.

But either way, just politely ask the guilty employee why he took the set.

shiba5

Does Lego not sell white base plates?? I have all these holiday sets that would look great on a white base, but I only see them on eBay. I'm not paying $50 for one 16x32 plate.

Does Lego not sell white base plates?? I have all these holiday sets that would look great on a white base, but I only see them on eBay. I'm not paying $50 for one 16x32 plate.

They have 16x16 regular plates (like, regular plate thickness, not baseplate) in white. Winter Village sets come with them.

If you are near a PAB wall, you can do what I did and just clear them out of white tile pieces. I got hundreds of the 1x8 white tiles and covered a few baseplates in them to put stuff on top of.

Find a set you know your coworker will want, take it out of the box, fill the box with bees, and put the box in your hold bag.

Ryuuroden

Time for decool to start the alternate colors baseplate market. I don't buy knockoffs but if LEGO gets rid of classic green baseplates, I may indeed support protest manufacturing of knockoff classic green baseplates.

Ryuuroden

Built the Super Cycle Chase on Monday before the National Championship Game and the Ice Cream Truck today. These smaller Lego Movie sets are pro as well. I will say, after building a few large exclusives in a row, the instructions are cake. I do not have to pre-pull all the LEGO parts from the pile before starting each step to prevent overlooking a part of the build. The Police vehicle is very sleek

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Well then. Nevermind about Chima being better. I got my first ever LEGO parts mistake in my Icebite's Claw Driller. I got two of the same sided grey plane wing pieces on the tiny bear vehicle (both 4290149, needed a 4290150). Sigh.

Well then. Nevermind about Chima being better. I got my first ever LEGO parts mistake in my Icebite's Claw Driller. I got two of the same sided grey plane wing pieces on the tiny bear vehicle (both 4290149, needed a 4290150). Sigh.

Contact Lego and they'll mail the piece to you.

Toxi

Banned
So this guy over at BZPower took bionicle sets and turned them into system, minifig scale sets. This stuff is seriously awesome.

http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/14346-micro-bionicle-batch-2-15-rahi-and-6-swarm-villains-in-ldde/
A lot of those are based on MOCs that won the Rahi contest. Some pretty sweet models, especially the Spiny Stone Ape. I like how the mini-Muaka still retains the neck stretching ability the original set had.

Speaking of contests, Lego held a Bionicle villain MOC contest recently with the first place prize being a 15 karat solid gold skull spider mask. They haven't announced the winner yet, but the six semi-finalists are pretty sweet. Definitely a lot more complex than I could build.

w6h0ppyf3dwattgtkni7.jpg

Permanently A

A lot of those are based on MOCs that won the Rahi contest. Some pretty sweet models, especially the Spiny Stone Ape. I like how the mini-Muaka still retains the neck stretching ability the original set had.

Speaking of contests, Lego held a Bionicle villain MOC contest recently with the first place prize being a 15 karat solid gold skull spider mask. They haven't announced the winner yet, but the six semi-finalists are pretty sweet. Definitely a lot more complex than I could build.

w6h0ppyf3dwattgtkni7.jpg

Wow, these are so sick, but this one in particular caught my eye.

The tendril-like arm just screams "parasite" to me. I would love to see a Bionicle storyline where a Makuta is controlling one of the Toa the entire time.

Hey guys, I knew Gaf had a LEGO thread but I didn't realize it was still this active. I'll have to post some pics of my collection and modular setup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom