• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Oh man I can't wait for my Birds set. Supposed to be here tuesday. I need to get some new shelves but I cleared off one shelf just to make room right now for the birds set for display. Wondering if the Rainforest bird would fit in or look to out of place.

They're so gorgeous. It's a fantastic set.
I don't think the rainforest bird would fit in with the three Ideas birds though. It has somewhat cartoony proportions while the Ideas birds are very realistically proportioned. The building styles are very different as well, which would make the rainforest bird stick out like a sore thumb.

Also, this Birds set is making me want to MOC some birds to add to the collection. I want to pool together all my black pieces and build myself a crow. Haha. Half because I think it'd be cool and half because I think it'd be doable even with my pretty weak MOC skills (since they're just all black, I'd just have to get the shape right rather than having to worry about getting the colors right too).

They're so gorgeous. It's a fantastic set.
I don't think the rainforest bird would fit in with the three Ideas birds though. It has somewhat cartoony proportions while the Ideas birds are very realistically proportioned. The building styles are very different as well, which would make the rainforest bird stick out like a sore thumb.

Also, this Birds set is making me want to MOC some birds to add to the collection. I want to pool together all my black pieces and build myself a crow. Haha. Half because I think it'd be cool and half because I think it'd be doable even with my pretty weak MOC skills (since they're just all black, I'd just have to get the shape right rather than having to worry about getting the colors right too).

Oooh contest idea. We could do a winged creature contest (birds, bats, bugs, etc).

I just built the colibri and my wife called dibs on building the blue jay.

That Chima scorpion set...probably one of the least fun builds Ive had on a while. But the final product is sooo good.

I was thinking about just sorting it without building it, but now I want to see the final product....on to the ever growing backlog it goes.

I finished the second floor of the restaurant today. All y'all who suggested I'd want to amend my 2014 list were right. It is such an incredible, different looking modular.

Ponn

Banned
Oooh contest idea. We could do a winged creature contest (birds, bats, bugs, etc).

Ohhh I could get behind this. I had a similar idea like Kipp about MOCing some of my own birds after maybe picking up some techniques.

I will enter my winged Jackalope

Rootbeer

Banned

Pretty cool. How about just "wings" then people can build insects, animals, planes, gliders, kites, airships, boats... opens it up a bit.

And it's a good way to celebrate the release of spirit of the Ideas Birds set

Falch

Went and got the T16 Skyhopper and the AT-AT and Snowspeeder of Wave 2 of the microfighters yesterday (not buying anything related to the prequels).

All lovely builds, and the Skyhopper goes great with the other Tatooine LEGO I have.

Looking at 2015, I'm really narrowing things down because of a lack of space to display my LEGO. I'm focusing on:
- Bricklinking some of the remaining LOTR/Hobbit minifigs (want some 5-7 more figs like Azog, Dain, Thranduil, Saruman; I have all the hobbits and dwarves) and creating a nice diorama for it all
- Hellicarrier: It'll be the centre piece for my superheroes
- Bricklinking more superheroes like GotG, X-men etc (Don't like most of the sets though)
- Waiting for the Star Wars The Force Awakens sets: I'm definitely getting the new X-wing and Millenium Falcon if rumours are true.

All in all, I'm planning a relatively 'slow' year. Decided not getting any more modulars (not enough space to display them anyway), also not expanding into other themes (like the LEGO movie, Simpsons etc).

What are you guys planning for 2015?

And remember, as Goethe said: "It is in self-limitation that a master first shows himself. " Then again, he never had to deal with LEGO.

Can't wait to see some of the 2015 sets to arrive in Aussie stores. The minifigs appeared in one Big W store but not any near me. Must be close.

Ponn

Banned
Went and got the T16 Skyhopper and the AT-AT and Snowspeeder of Wave 2 of the microfighters yesterday (not buying anything related to the prequels).

All lovely builds, and the Skyhopper goes great with the other Tatooine LEGO I have.

Looking at 2015, I'm really narrowing things down because of a lack of space to display my LEGO. I'm focusing on:
- Bricklinking some of the remaining LOTR/Hobbit minifigs (want some 5-7 more figs like Azog, Dain, Thranduil, Saruman; I have all the hobbits and dwarves) and creating a nice diorama for it all
- Bricklinking more superheroes like GotG, X-men etc (Don't like most of the sets though)
- Waiting for the Star Wars The Force Awakens sets: I'm definitely getting the new X-wing and Millenium Falcon if rumours are true.

All in all, I'm planning a relatively 'slow' year. Decided not getting any more modulars (not enough space to display them anyway), also not expanding into other themes (like the LEGO movie, Simpsons etc).

And remember, as Goethe said: "It is in self-limitation that a master first shows himself. " Then again, he never had to deal with LEGO.

I still need to pick up a couple 2014 Superhero sets, Battle of Five Armies and Mirkwood Elf Army to finish up LoTR/Hobbit and catch up. From there I will pick up 2015 superhero sets as sales allow with the exception of Helicarrier. I haven't decided if I will pick that up in Feb. or wait for March for a better promotion or double vip points. Scooby Doo is a possibility but the series 14 monster figs will be a must. Also Mixels, the two animal Creator sets and Future Flyers.

Past that I think this is the year I may jump into Star Wars or modular's. With LoTR/Hobbit done I can fill that void with one or the other but I can't afford both and my OCD won't allow me to half-ass both. I'm leaning modular's right now because i'm big with display pieces and I may have room where i'm moving to display more.

You may want to see about selling some of your modulars as Detective Office seems to be getting lots of rave reviews.

There is a LOT in 2015.
- I'm big on super heroes so I will get most or all of them (bricklinking minifigs of sets I don't buy)
- Avengers
- Antman
- DC sets
- Marvel sets
- I need all Scooby Doo minifigs and Mystery Machine.
- Jurassic World sets.
- Some of the LEGO Speed Champions
- Mixels
- CMF 14 and Simpsons CMFs
- A few Ninjago
- A few Ultra Agents
- Carryovers from 2014 (a few of Star Wars OT I haven't gotten yet).
- misc...

I'm a poor college student so I'll probably only get a couple 'big' sets this year(1000+ pieces), maybe some more if you count Christmas, hopefully one day I can get a good paying job so I can afford way more (oh yeah, and maybe to possibly support a family if I have any left over money lol)

ghostmind

Looking back on 2014, I picked up about 115 sets from that year, not including polybags, CMFs, Mixels, or promo items.

Looking at 2015, I will eclipse that, unless I pare things back:

CITY - 19 sets
CREATOR - 4 sets
DC Super Heroes - 7 sets
Ideas - 1 set (so far)
Jurassic World - 6 sets
LEGO Movie - 3 sets
Marvel Super Heroes - 10 sets
Minecraft - 4 sets (for my son)
Misc (D2C) - 3 sets
Pirates - 5 sets
Scooby-Doo - 5 sets
Simpsons - 1 set
Star Wars - 42 sets
Ultra Agents - 8 sets

And that is just the sets we know about.

Looking back on 2014, I picked up about 115 sets from that year, not including polybags, CMFs, Mixels, or promo items.

CITY - 19 sets
CREATOR - 4 sets
DC Super Heroes - 7 sets
Ideas - 1 set (so far)
Jurassic World - 6 sets
LEGO Movie - 3 sets
Misc (D2C) - 3 sets
Pirates - 5 sets
Scooby-Doo - 5 sets
Simpsons - 1 set
Star Wars - 42 sets
Ultra Agents - 8 sets

Sheesh, how do you have room for that? I'd imagine even if you dedicated an entire room for Lego you'd run out of space after a couple years

CITY - 19 sets
CREATOR - 4 sets
DC Super Heroes - 7 sets
Ideas - 1 set (so far)
Jurassic World - 6 sets
LEGO Movie - 3 sets
Misc (D2C) - 3 sets
Pirates - 5 sets
Scooby-Doo - 5 sets
Simpsons - 1 set
Star Wars - 42 sets
Ultra Agents - 8 sets

This is why I so far my only limit has been Star Wars OT and a few non-OT sets. I have very little restraint, but Star Wars is deadly. There's also a reason why it's LEGO's biggest licensed product.

gKNY6yi.jpg

The build is pretty nice and a big improvement over the old version. It is pretty neat consider the shape of T-16. I really like how the cockpit get put together and consider small pieces count Lego did a great job.

ghostmind

Sheesh, how do you have room for that? I'd imagine even if you dedicated an entire room for Lego you'd run out of space after a couple years

The LEGO Basement project (of which I have posted pics of in the last OT thread) didn't see much expansion over the past few months, but I desperately need to buy more storage shelves.

I'm expanding the available space from 600 to 800 square feet, but even then I won't be able to show many of what I would like to display.

I've talked about going "Star Wars-only" for a couple years now, and I am thinking about it again. We'll see after the Toy Fairs.

ghostmind

From the Ultra Agents - AntiMatter's gang, minus Antimatter himself, as well as Psyclone and one of Toxikita's henchmen.

My23Xj5.jpg

The bottom row has a couple of new additions from the 2H sets which have not been shown yet.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So what was your very first lego?

Mine was a simple helicopter thing. It only had a few pieces but it was definitely a system brick because they were small. I can't find it for the life of me though. It wasn't a detailed helicopter even - I think the pieces are around two digits in number.

IHaveIce

Banned
From the Ultra Agents - AntiMatter's gang, minus Antimatter himself, as well as Psyclone and one of Toxikita's henchmen.

My23Xj5.jpg

The bottom row has a couple of new additions from the 2H sets which have not been shown yet.
The ultra agents villians are some of the best minifig designs for a long time.

It shows that Lego even would be able to pull of an own Superhero theme

So what was your very first lego?

Mine was a simple helicopter thing. It only had a few pieces but it was definitely a system brick because they were small. I can't find it for the life of me though. It wasn't a detailed helicopter even - I think the pieces are around two digits in number.

I think this was my first. Great set, greatest theme.

I finished the restaurant yesterday...what an incredible set.Not sure how well it fits with my setup though....and reading the comments about the DO have me worried. I probably won't crack that set for a couple of months though.

shiba5

I have that rocket launcher set. I still have all the old space sets. Benny would be proud.

Got a question about the smaller Creator town sets... Which are the best to make into modulars? Like if I bought two of a certain model, can I make a bigger modular?

Nevermind, I think I need two bike shop sets to make one big modular.

Mine was a pirate set. A tiny one that came with one pirate, a treasure chest, and a monkey. I got a piece a day for each time I correctly tied my shoes :D

It was my gateway drug I guess you could say.

Ponn

Banned
I've got the Pet Shop in my cart at Lego S@H These Detective Agency reviews are killing me but i'm sensible (haha, or unsensible) enough to start with Pet Shop. I'm already bouncing the idea around expanding Daily Bugle, Avengers Tower and making a bank for villains to rob. It will be glorious. Oh god, if I could have Helicarrier hovering over it all that would be perfect.

I've got the Pet Shop in my cart at Lego S@H These Detective Agency reviews are killing me but i'm sensible (haha, or unsensible) enough to start with Pet Shop. I'm already bouncing the idea around expanding Daily Bugle, Avengers Tower and making a bank for villains to rob. It will be glorious. Oh god, if I could have Helicarrier hovering over it all that would be perfect.

Smart move going for Pet Shop. Plenty of time for Parisian Restaurant and Detective Office to join the party. Just let Pet Shop start the party.

Maybe put a Peter Parker figure in front of it with a spider jumping on him.

My first ever Lego thing I remember was something with a mouse face printed on a yellow 2x3 slope, still have that piece, too.

My first full set I remember getting was the Pirate's Forbidden Island, which I still have about 90% of the pieces.

Well, since you are debating between SW & Modulars, I'd recommend the latter. They are only once a year so you don't get that ("have to get every one") problem some of us have.

The problem with the licensed/SW sets is that TLG is getting very good at incenting consumers to buy mediocre sets due to exclusive figures. You won't have that problem with the modulars-just awesome sets.

"Complete Order" Ponn, you know you want to.

I need help deciding between two vastly different sets because I have 40 in amazon credit. First is the X-Men sentinel set and the other is the birds set. I like the x-men more but the birds look more fun to build. However will I choose? Also I am new to Lego GAF and am only a recent collector.

ghostmind

Well, since you are debating between SW & Modulars, I'd recommend the latter. They are only once a year so you don't get that ("have to get every one") problem some of us have.

The problem with the licensed/SW sets is that TLG is getting very good at incenting consumers to buy mediocre sets due to exclusive figures. You won't have that problem with the modulars-just awesome sets.

"Complete Order" Ponn, you know you want to.

I second (third?) the recommendation to go with the modulars, and specifically the Pet Shop.

I would say though that the Star Wars theme has a very high percentage of quality sets, as opposed to other licensed themes like Super Heroes, which have often put highly-desirable minifigs in sets that are hot garbage. Of course, there are exceptions to both, and SW does pump out 30+ sets per year.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I need help deciding between two vastly different sets because I have 40 in amazon credit. First is the X-Men sentinel set and the other is the birds set. I like the x-men more but the birds look more fun to build. However will I choose? Also I am new to Lego GAF and am only a recent collector.

If you don't care for how the Birds set looks and mainly wanted it because it looks like a fun build, go with the X-Men set. The Birds set is a fairly interesting build (quite a few different, interesting techniques for changing the direction of the bricks), but with all the 1x1 pieces and quite a bit of simple building the birds up in a very straightforward way, it probably isn't the most fun build.
I personally absolutely love how the Birds set looks, so I'm extremely happy with it, but if I didn't care for how it looked, I'm not sure I'd buy it just for a fun build.
I want to add though, it's still a Lego set, so I still had a great time building it. But for a Lego set, it was probably on the low/medium end of the building enjoyment scale (but even the low end of the Lego building enjoyment scale is on the high end of the general enjoyment scale for me).
As a caveat, I don't know much at all about the Sentinel set. Hopefully someone else can give you a little advice on that end.
If I was one of the horrible enablers like most of the others in this thread, I would tell you that you should definitely buy both.

And while I'm posting about the Birds set, I might as well give my final mini-review of it since I just finished the last of the three birds. One of the main things I really appreciated about the set was how different the builds for the three birds were. Even though they're all birds and probably could've been built very similarly but just with different details, they weren't at all. They all share a very similar visual style, making them look very clearly like they all belong on display together, but the building methods and the structures of the birds were all very different. This gave me some great techniques to use for future bird MOCs and also made building the birds (which I already went into a bit) a much more interesting experience than it would've been if all of the birds shared a similar structure.

But yeah, I'm so happy with this set.

shiba5

I had this book:

6000-Idea_Book_Legoland.jpg

My first set was a basic block set that I could really only build a house with. I just saw a yellow castle jousting set that I know I had but totally forgot existed.

shiba5

And while I'm posting about the Birds set, I might as well give my final mini-review of it since I just finished the last of the three birds. One of the main things I really appreciated about the set was how different the builds for the three birds were. Even though they're all birds and probably could've been built very similarly but just with different details, they weren't at all. They all share a very similar visual style, making them look very clearly like they all belong on display together, but the building methods and the structures of the birds were all very different. This gave me some great techniques to use for future bird MOCs and also made building the birds (which I already went into a bit) a much more interesting experience than it would've been if all of the birds shared a similar structure.

But yeah, I'm so happy with this set.

My husband was looking at these. I'll show him your review. :)

I think I will go with the sentinal set then. It would go well with my other heroes. I also picked up An unexpected gathering, the tumbler chase (Lego Tom Hardy!), and the DeLorean.

I would say though that the Star Wars theme has a very high percentage of quality sets, as opposed to other licensed themes like Super Heroes, which have often put highly-desirable minifigs in sets that are hot garbage. Of course, there are exceptions to both, and SW does pump out 30+ sets per year.

Good call...for the most part the SW line has better builds, you're right. I was thinking along the lines of the Jedi Defender, Jek's Stealth Starfighter etc.

Ponn

Banned
I second (third?) the recommendation to go with the modulars, and specifically the Pet Shop.

Thanks for the push guys and I hit the order button. I think I may still get the AT-AT because it looks so awesome but yea I will have more fun with modulars. And yea the actual sets for the superhero figs are usually pretty ho-hum and thats another reason why I want to get into modulars. They will provide a better display for my superhero figs.

Is the $30 snowspeeder worth it? I wanna get it but then I want to save up a little bit and get the TIE fighter prototype. I can't decide between the two...

ghostmind

Is the $30 snowspeeder worth it? I wanna get it but then I want to save up a little bit and get the TIE fighter prototype. I can't decide between the two...

TIE Advanced Prototype, no question.

There have been many Snowspeeder releases, and while this is above average, it is not exceptional.

TIE Advanced Prototype is the best non-UCS Star Wars set of 2015 so far.

Ponn

Banned
I spent a little more than I wanted but I used trade credit from GameStop to get amazon cards so it's not all bad. I also picked up the ECTO-1 the other day

If you can find it fairly cheap (its oop) I highly suggest the Gandalf Arrives set to go with an Unexpected Gathering. They just look really nice together on display.

Ryuuroden

So that Barrel Escape set from the Hobbit line turned out to be a really useful parts set for me since I got a several months ago for half off. Lots of parts to use in my Orthanc interior. I love the large barrels as well which previously I had none of surprisingly. At least I had none not being used somewhere else already. Also, I have made some good progress on the interior of Orthanc but now I need a bunch more gold rings lol. They work excellent for adding accents to furniture.

Also, anything new on the OOP list Ghostmind?

robochimp

I just finished Anakin's custom jedi star fighter. While not too different from past star fighter versions this one uses the new ball joint to let the front fins angle back and toward the toward the ship.

I can't wait to see what they're able to do with those for in future space themes.

ghostmind

So that Barrel Escape set from the Hobbit line turned out to be a really useful parts set for me since I got a several months ago for half off. Lots of parts to use in my Orthanc interior. I love the large barrels as well which previously I had none of surprisingly. At least I had none not being used somewhere else already. Also, I have made some good progress on the interior of Orthanc but now I need a bunch more gold rings lol. They work excellent for adding accents to furniture.

Also, anything new on the OOP list Ghostmind?

A lot actually - most of which are the result of the recent LEGO Store and S@H sales:

10223 Kingdoms Joust
60000 Fire Motorcycle
60006 Police ATV
60009 Helicopter Arrest
60013 Coast Guard Helicopter
60015 Coast Guard Plane
60019 Stunt Plane
60026 Town Square
60027 Monster Truck Transporter
60045 Police Patrol
60054 Light Repair Truck
60056 Tow Truck
60058 SUV with Watercraft
70131 Rogon's Rock Flinger
70723 Thunder Raider
71005 Simpsons CMF S1
75005 Rancor Pit
75012 BARC Speeder with Sidecar
75013 Umbaran MHC
75018 Jek-14's Stealth Starfighter
75024 HH-87 Starhopper
75029 AAT (Microfighter)
76009 Superman: Black Zero Escape

ghostmind

via Brickset:

The Friends Smoothie Cart (30202) and CITY Swamp Helicopter (30311) polybags are showing up in the Target Valentine's Day section.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom